Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Adapting Asimov

Author Topic: Adapting Asimov
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I intend to work on adapting the Caves of Steel for the screen, and I want to get the opinions of a few Asimov readers, if there are any here.

Should I introduce the world to the viewer through a LOTR-style infodump, or reduce Olivaw's knowlege and have Lije inform him?

Also, I was considering changing Lije's pipe to cigarettes or cigars, in consideration of the change in trends since the 50s...

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends upon what kind of mood you want to set. The voice over beginnings, done well, create a sense of an epic story being told. If this works for you, then go with it. If it doesn't feel right, go with the hero learning the information.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> I intend to work on adapting the Caves of
> Steel for the screen,

For practice, or do you have the rights?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what EJS said. Also, do you have a studio in mind or are you just smoking something?

By the way, most trends don't go in one direction forever. The tobacco industry has been working to create a safer cigarette for years, but a lot of the more promising approaches are really difficult to swing with a disposable item.

Besides, there is the essential difference in character implied between a pipe smoker and someone who uses those little disposable paper tubes. They did have cigarettes in Asimov's day, you know.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Of course, but the detectives in Asimov's day (or, rather his day when he wrote Caves, seeing as how he died in the 80s) smoked pipes, a la Sherlock. The detectives of today, however, don't, just like most of the population.

I don't have rights, and I don't have a studio. What I have is a desire to make Caves into a movie. I'm guessing I'll have to wait to get my film degree before that comes along. But it's good to start when the idea pops into your head.

Christine, have you read the book? It's not really an epic (at least at this point in Asimov's timeline), and Olivaw isn't the hero of Caves.

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards incidental infodumping. As in, news story in the background, a few remarks here and there, etc...

Does anyone who has read the book have an opinion on the matter?

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may find that if you watch the movies from back then the fashion veered towards cigarettes. I don't quite think Asimov dates back as far as Arthur Conan Doyle. Now as this is set in the future it may be unlikely for any form of tobacco to be used, unless it has been "cleaned up". But you se the reason for the pipe was because it was rationed. And he could gain longer satisfaction from his little block of tobacco.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while, but I don't think there's a lot of backstory that's important to the plot which isn't made evident through the characters' actions anyway?

Bailey, being from Earth, doesn't know much about dealing with robots, so everything relevant there must be explained to him. The only unique thing about Earth's culture, if memory serves, is their intense agrophobia (sp?) and obsession with privacy, both of which are made evident by Bailey's actions (unless I'm thinking of one of the sequels).

BTW, I've heard a rumour that an adaptation is in production right now. Don't know the details, though.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

There's the robotophobia (if you can call it that). The changing of New York into a super-city, absorbing New Jersey, almost touching Boston, etc. The whole City culture is told and not shown.

I'm not a smoker, so I'm not sure on how much difference a pipe makes on the use of tobacco. Plus the filter factor. Its much more practical to have a filter on a cig than a pipe. Remember that scene from the Fifth Element?

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, like that does anything but force the smoker to drag harder on the cigarette to get the same amount of nicotine, resulting in more carcinogen production during the burn.
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Yeah, I'm sure that's ALL it does
Survivor
Member # 213

If you looked at the science, you would be.
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Have you ever smoked both kinds of cigarettes? There's a big difference.
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the pipe-smoking aspect of the character such a big deal? I mean there are still folks out there today who prefer pipes to cigarette. I think the biggest draw in cigarettes is their convienence. You just pull em out of the pack and smoke, whereas pipes you have several different components (ie pouch of tobacco, the pipe itself & the matches) you have carry around in order to smoke it. The pipe-smoking could still be viewed as a retro idiosyncrasy of the character, and shouldn't be thought about too hard.

As far as rights and things, when did that ever stop anyone from writing something for their own personal enjoyment? Rights and such can be obtained after its finished if Archer is serious about marketing his screenplay.

** Edited for at least one spelling error I found. **

[This message has been edited by Whitney (edited December 10, 2004).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

My major complaint about it is that it fit the character for the 1950s, but not for now, which is closer to then. Um. Yeah.

Wether or not pipes come back is anyone's guess.

But it does make it easier to show that it's rationed when you use cigarettes. Just have him pull out a pack that, instead of saying Winston, etc., it says "Ration".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.