Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Romantic tension

Author Topic: Romantic tension
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
...I have a thread in a novel that needs it. I tried to do it. Nobody got it.

OK, so it takes more than 2 attractive people sparring ...

I am familiar from it only in video (Moonlighting, Northern Exposure). Hot woman, good looking guy, they argue a lot. What makes romantic tension work? Ideas?

Thanks. I am on a waiting list to be part of one of the small writer's groups, but it hasn't formed yet. I went to Card's writing class last June.

Will

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
[edited to include welcome. Welcome to Hatrack!]

First, arguing does not equal romantic tension.

The tension comes from two people who want very much to be together, but, for whatever reason, can't.

Arguing is just one way for the characters in a story to let off steam regarding "the obstacle". It doesn't come from the passion itself. If it does, then your reader won't want the two to get together.

Writing this in a hurry. Will probably say more later.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited December 16, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

I'm going to make a suggestion that I wouldn't make to ANYONE unless a loaded gun were being held to my head. And consider that it's just a suggestion, not one I've looked into (though maybe I should), but a thought that just popped into my head.

Ready?

Are you sure?

<holds breath>

Try reading a few Romance novels. From what I understand there are some good ones out there. Even if you read some bad ones you're learning how not to do it badly.

In the interim, I'd like to see if anyone can suggest any good reading that involves some excellent romantic tension. That's an area I probably need to research as well. Ugh! That means I have to read some romance novels.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! Anything but that!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
It burns! It burns!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's excellent or not, but the first coupule of books in the SWORD OF TRUTH series by Terry Goodkind has some good romantic tension (at least from a guy's perspective).

I think that the male vs. female perspective plays a big factor as well. I might think that something is romantic, where a woman might not. If you can manage to bridge that chasm, you may just have a best seller!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. Anyway, you really need to get your basic ideas of how to write by reading rather than anything else. Only after you gain a firm context for how something is done in a text can you begin to apply your experience with other works to writing.

Films and television are the biggest offenders of our day in this department, but it's true of all narrative forms. You can't learn cinematography from reading books, you can't learn dance from listening to the radio, you can't learn the violin by watching dance.

Only after learning one art form can you apply knowledge gained from other media to your chosen art.

But I'll tell you right now what I think is the problem. You're showing two attractive people sparring (I don't even know that you've bothered to show that they're attractive, but forgive the assumption). What you aren't showing is that they're attracted to each other, but have some reason to avoid getting involved. In a performance using actors, it is very easy to show that two people are attracted to each other, you pick physically attractive actors and have them look at each other with those subtle little expressions we all like to see on the faces of really attractive people (unless we find ourselves in a situation where it is highly inconvenient to have an attractive person looking at us that way).

Even when they spar, that look tells us they're really attracted to each other. But you'll have a really difficult time doing that in a written account. For one thing, you don't have a pair of highly attractive actors, and if you did the reader still couldn't see them.

As for reading romance, there are plenty of non-"romance" novels that show people dealing with romantic tension. L.M. Bujold has written a number of them, almost all of her books are dripping with romantic complications of various types (my favorite was probably a clueless guy from Athos--also known as the "Planet of the Fags"--who is forced to venture out into the "female dominated" world and ends up working with a hyper-sexy mercenary to save his planet from destruction at the hands of the evil empire of genetic purists...don't worry, despite exposure to every manner of womanly wiles, he escapes and even gets the guy [a telepath, naturally...er, well, by virtue of some pretty intense genetic tinkering]).

Really, if you haven't gotten most of your knowledge of fictional romantic tension from novels already, then you need to seriously start reading more. Most novel length works contain at least one romantic subplot, usually a tension that is left largely unresolved. Not all of them are comic either, the romantic complications in Dune and the later novels were all deadly serious (this didn't mean they were never funny, God Emperor of Dune had some particularly humorous moments related to sexual frustration of various forms).

Anyway, I'm with TH on this one. You really don't have to read romance novels to get a feel for how to do romantic tension in your writing. If you haven't got a clue about such a common literary device, you need to read more books.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sword of Truth! Ugh! Ugh Ugh! Talk about the LAST thing I would recommend for good romantic tension. The first book in the series had a terribly cliched ending and somehow I never could feel much passion for the pair. They were a couple, but it didn't matter one way or another.

Anyway, now that I've got that out of my system...

I was wanting to start this thread. I've got a romance subplot streaming through my current mystery novel and it feels flimsy. I think I just realized something by reading a fantasy novel...the sequel to the one I was dissing on another thread for repeating scenes through different POV's. Anyway, what I realized was that at first, the romance is SUBTLE> We know they're going to get together because they're both POV characters, they're both attractive (stated through each other's eyes), and they're both good people who we like. But so far no open lust or attraction has come about, no endless romanticizing....it's just there in the background of everyone's head, including the reader's.

BTW, I also recommend reading romance. Try "Wishes" by Jude Devereaux to get your feet wet. It was the first I ever read and still the best, possibly in part because it's got a fantasy element. Definitely in part because it's got a fat girl. Other respectable romance writers are Judith McNaught and Catherine Coulter.

You want to study romance? Go to the people whose job it is to inspire those feelings in their readers. I don't think it should be apolgoized for. But when you read, also keep in mind that these authors write primarily for women. As such, they create more fantasy in their works that I could stomach from a fantasy novel. I particularly hate the women-tames-the-wild-beast story.

If your stomach churcns at reading romance, I recommend Mercedes Lackey's work as the best romantic fantasy. Pick up her Valdemar novels. She has at least one romance in every trilogy (she write them in 3's that manage to be fairly self-contained, although there are some I would read before others.) Just be prepared for unconventional romances at times. (By that I mean not always between a man and a woman.)

So there's my take on romance for the moment. I will be looking for tips for my novel though if anyone has any new insights.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Finally, some time!

I never asked, what genre do you write?

I agree with Dakota and Survivor. Read, read, read, read, read. Most novels have a romantic subplot, but if all you're interested in is studying romantic tension, it might be better to go straight for the romance novel. (Don't hurt me. I have kids.)

Not the paperback ones! You know, Harlequin, etc. Some authors who write paperback can be really good, but, from what I remember, they're rare. The rest border on plotless erotica ... no tension whatsoever. Go for the hardcover. You'll have a better chance of finding some quality writing.

It's been a long time since I read romance, but a couple of authors I remember enjoying were Jude Devereaux and Danielle Steele. Devereaux tends to be lighthearted, while Steele is usually serious. I seem to remember both were good at creating romantic tension.

If you want a safe bet, I would recommend starting with Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Great tension, even if you already know the ending.

[edited to add that I really enjoyed Wishes as well. Out of all the stuff I've read by her, I think it's her best. The Duchess is also good and some of Devereaux's earliest stuff, set in colonial America, made me look at my ancestors in a whole new light.]

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the romantic tension and frustration in Jane Eyre. There is a lot of "emotionally charged banter", but there are also other things that exhibit and build the tension. It is a little melodramatic in the last half, but the first half is well done.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

I am noticing a trend here. I planted a seed, hoping it would grow, and it did.

It is curious to me that all of the romantic recommendations have come from people I am going to assume are women (aside from Survivor and Myself). Those women have all recommended women authors to provide them with their romantic enjoyment or inspiration. I went out on a limb and recommended a male author, beacuse it is less common for a male author to garnish his writing with romantic prose. This is of course my opinion. That is why I said that if a person could bridge the chasm between what males and females consider to be good romance that person would have a best seller on his/her hands.

Christines reaction to my suggestion was expected. But I still say that I liked the tension in that story. It is from a male perspective, and I am a male. I sometimes find the female version way too sweet and sugary for my tastes. That is why I don't go to movies (what I would term as CHICK FLIX) with my wife unless I absolutely have to. Or, read too many books by female authors, due to pages and pages of what I would term "sappy romance". I read Fantasy for the most part, and the female authors in that genre always have a much different tone. I can say that I really don't like those stories as well. Also my opinion.

I guess the real question that Mr. Briggs is posing (putting words in his mouth) is... What male referrence should he look at for romantic inspriation to use in his writing. I could be off base, but I think I may be on to something?

I also realize that I am setting myself up for a barrage of negative response. But, oh well!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I know we have a lot of Shakepeare flying around, but most of his comedies centre around romantic tension. A particularly good piece is Much Ado About Nothing.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Are we talking about romance in the fantasy genre?

Frank Herbert's Dune has already been mentioned. Enchantment by OSC comes to mind. OSC is obviously male and yet I enjoyed the story and thought he did very well with the romance. The Last Unicorn is also written by a guy (Peter S. Beagle) but I think the growing romance between Molly and Schmendrick was one of the best parts of the book.

I focused on the romance genre in my post because it deals with romantic tension more explicitly than fantasy usually does. And yes, it's mostly populated with female authors. Why? Male authors don't usually understand what women classify as romance (Terry Brooks, for example).

Which goes back to TH's point. If you can write a romance that manages to appeal to both sexes, you'll have a bestseller.

[edited to add that although I know Dune is SF, it's always had a fantasy feel to me]

Christine
Member # 1646

My problem with Goodkind is not his male tilt on romance. I have enjoyed plenty of male author's romantic twists. Orson Scott Card's stories have managed to produce that romantic tingle, as a place to start. But also Robert Jordon (especially in his earlier stories...did you know he also writes romance under the pseudonym Reagan O'Neil?) There are other, lesser-known male authors that have produced satisfactory romances. Terry Brooks doesn't even do too bad, even though I hate his women characters.

In fact, TruHero, You managed to pick the one book I would have chosen as an anti-example of romance! I've read the series. In fact, I think I'm up to date on his latest one (I just read it a couple weeks ago.) They're getting worse as he goes along, but let's take the first few which were pretty good and what kept me reading. He writes epic fantasy. He does a good job at writing epic fantasy. He has all the right elements: a steady hero with plain roots, a beautiful woman to fight for, an evil bad guy who turns out to be his father, a new evil bad guy who likes to have sex with little boys just in case we didn't like him for other reasons...But his romance is nothing but action-hero guy gets the girl nothing. The challenges in their relationship all came from the outside and were resolved by the third book. (I think...I might me misremembering which book was which.) In fact, most of their romance was resolved by the end of the first book in a cheesy love conquers all manner. There was never any question that the two might not get togheter. There was certainly never question. I just didn't feel the love. The fact that Goodkind uses sex to separate his good guys from his bad guys doens't help either. (The good guys have straight-forward heterosexual romances, the bad guys rape, are homosexual, or perverted.)

So it's not male vs. female. It's that you picked one of the worst books for romantic subplots that I've ever read. Of course, that's my opinion. If you want to hear more male authors that had good romantic subplots I'll see what I can do to dig them up from the dregs of my memory...

mogservant
Member # 1739

- posted      Profile for mogservant   Email mogservant         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the things that makes for great romantic tension is the pure irrationality of it. I love reading charcacters that are so obviously trying to convince themselves that "so and so" is a terrible person when the truth is they either really like that person and can't have them, or they think that person would never be attracted to them. I think romantic tension works best when it stems either from misconceptions or circumstances that lead characters to act against their own hearts.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Christine, I think you may be right about Terry Brooks. The only female character I liked that he created got killed off (kind of) before anything happened. That book infuriated me only because of that one small thing. The rest of it was all right.

Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! was a pretty good series, but I never really believed the relationship between the main character and the ... whatever she was. I've forgotten now. Then again, the last book I read in that series was The Tangle Box. Maybe he's improved in that department since then.

Robert Jordan writes romance? That explains some things.

TruHero
Member # 1766

I wasn't saying that Goodkind was the best. I was just saying that there was some romantic tension in his books. I find that just about every female I have mentioned this series to, hates it. There is usually no middle ground. I would say the the Sword of Truth series appeals mostly to male readers.

I forgot about Enchantment, but even in that book, there is no question that the two characters would eventually get together. It is my opinion that Card just puts his romance across in a more feminine manner, and Goodkind uses a more blunt approach. I think this just strengthens my hypothesis about what males and females like in their romantic scenes.

Now Jordan on the other hand did a fine job of romance. The Lan and Moiraine connection was great. He has carried it through now with Lan and Egwene. Also, with Mat and the Queen (this was a good twist, a different kind of tension), and now with Mat and the princess of the nine moons. GREAT! The other relationships do not show tension so much, because they are what I would term somewhat "normal". Except for the fact that Rand has three women.

I can agree that Jordan is the best reference we have discussed so far. Thanks for reminding me. That must be my short male attention span, along with selective listening showing through.

Christine
Member # 1646

I don't dislike Terry GOod kind at all. I just don't think he's very romantic.

As for Robert Jordan, I like his four-way with Rand nd all his women the best...yeah yeah I'm aweird like that.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to break the trend, TruHero (unless somebody else already did in all those posts I just skipped.) I'm a male, suggesting a story by a male writer as an example of fantastic romantic tension.

Henry James, "The Beast in the Jungle." I know he's hard to slog through, but it's worth it if you want to see an example of great romantic tension. I was going to say more about it, but I can't without spoiling it for you if you're going to read it. Great romantic tension. For that matter, "The Aspern Papers," also by Henry James, is another one with great romantic tension.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Connie Willis does some great bits of romance with in many of her science fiction books and short stories. It's definatly of the romantic comedy vein, with the quick back and forth of more the clasic Hepburn and Tracey banter coupled with sublte, but powerful character observation. While she is a woman (as am I), I would think that her romantic style would be appealing to both genders.

On the good romance writers, I would have to put in a bid for Julie Garwood as well, her older historicals in particular, such asThe Gift and Lyon's Lady. Good fun. And I do love Devereaux, too, The Duchess in particular, although Wishes is up there too.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Christine has a good point with the Rand thing (though he isn't the best example, for reasons that will become apparent).

One major source of romantic question is where there are rivals for the same character's affections. This works best if the assumption of exclusive relationships is maintained (otherwise there is no particular reason that any competitors would necessarily get in the way). There can also be familial difficulties, perhaps the girl loves the guy but would gladly pick her nose in public and feed the boogers to her first born son just to annoy his family. Or the guy is way below the station which would be acceptable to the parents. These are all reasons that spring from outside the individuals involved but have to be resolved by them if the relationship is to be successful.

But this is all in the nature of providing the tension. The romance is supplied from the other side, so to speak.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Austen. That is the extent of my knowledge. Enchantment was really good, and also the early homecoming books. I think it is important to tie into an experience that most people have had romantically- and most of us have not sparred with a member of the opposite sex at all (I'm drawing a presumption here that it is a hetero relationship) let alone one where there was mutual attraction complicated by some weighty matter.

Most of us have been really attracted to someone who we had some reason to think would laugh at us if they knew.

Movie romances don't always work :cough Love and War cough: It was a tall order. They were trying to reenact the story Hemingway improved by having someone die at the end.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

I appreciate all this good advice! Let me ask something in particular from Christine and GZ: what are the stories in Card and Willis you were thinking of? I ask because I'd read these authors for fun (unlike Jane Eyre!) ... I guess I'll go back and re-read "Spice Pogram" by Willis; were you thinking of another too?

I'll also clarify my situation: my novel is SF; as TruHero suspects, the viewpoint in this particular thread is male (like me); I might get PTSD if I read a romance novel ; and in keeping with our traditions, here are the first 13 lines of the revised, hopefully a bit hotter version(let's see if I know how to format):

quote:

It was a time of, well, annoyance. They'd set up the experiment, and things kept going wrong. Joe Silverman's terminal showed an few images from the collisions; not nearly enough.

And Michelle had brought that monster of a dog, her Irish setter, into the lab. You couldn't have dogs in the buildings on campus! He'd always had a weakness for the Amerasian types, and especially for women who could carry on an intelligent conversation; if only she weren't so -- what was the word -- self-centered? Careless of things she didn't like to think about? Changeable as the weather?

"It's crashed again," she said.

"Well, then, do you think you might reboot it?" Joe said. The Irish setter, Buster -- squeezed under Michelle's desk, barely -- heard Joe's voice and waved its tail idly.

"It'll just go again, Silverman."

"Maybe it won't."

So they let the accelerator run again. Expensive equipment, if you were doing half-assed work . . .

I add later something about her balancing by touching his shoulder.

I guess maybe I've read books with romantic tension before but sort of blocked it out--!

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited December 16, 2004).]

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
EEEK! hurry, move that out of here, quick, quick! that goes in Frags mister
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You don't ever quite mention that he has a thing for her, in the passage I just read. You mention that he has a thing for women like her, as long as they aren't like her in several ways you then specify. This is generally true of nearly all women (and men), if you think about it for a second. "If only Col. Pickering were an real-life attractive young lady rather than a fictional rotund old man" does not imply that there is the possibility of romance between myself and Col. Pickering (in point of fact, I think that it would actually be really interesting to do a version of My Fair Lady/Pygmalion in which Higgens' assistent were a superbly educated and well bred ladyfriend).
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my novel is SF; as TruHero suspects, the viewpoint in this particular thread is male (like me); I might get PTSD if I read a romance novel

Well, in that case you need to read an SF romance novel, instead.

Can I recommend to you the work of an author I know from another board, S L Viehl. There are some good short stories on her web site at http://www.sff.net/people/slviehl/ that might be of some use in your research. Some are romance stories at their core and some aren't, but they're all worth reading.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

I concur with Survivor's diagnosis. I think it would work better if you didn't tell us what he liked about women. Instead, show us. Describe how he hates the things she does, but then describe (briefly) something she does or has that attracts him. Keep him in the present moment.

I also recommend posting this fragment on F&F.

I'm still learning about showing instead of telling myself, so I'm afraid I can't give much more help than this.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Your fragment for me is too focused on what he doesn't like, and the dog, to really be building romantic tension. There is also no real sense of his reaction to her as a particular individual (as has been noted by others). It's all in the details. He can be irritated by her in some way, but he has to be facinated at the same time. The irritation has to be a part of the facination, otherwise she's just irritating, and then why would he be interested?

On Connie Willis books -- most I've read have a bit in one way or the other, but Bellwether (sp?) has some stunning examples slipped in, and To Say Nothing of the Dog has an ongoing thread of it. Her short in Asimov's last Christmas had good bits (Can't remember the story name, and I've loaned it to someone at the moment), and other shorts do as well (Impossible Things and Fire Watch are her collections), one of which was a take off of the old Hollywood slap-stick romantic comedies (Think Bringing Up Baby), which I would try to get the names of, but again, my copy is on loan and I can't do reference. What you get with Willis is that with the side romance, you get a very researched and developed bit of SF coupled with some witty dialog. I think it's just great stuff.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

I don't want to run afoul of the rules of the board, so let me say first, thanks for the great feedback, and second, I'm just trying to show the perspective & genre I'm working from, not asking for feedback here -- maybe I'll post it for feedback later in the other section.

I may have some emotional block, too. After all, I'm someone who doesn't like romance novels. But I still think I'll try it out.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't write about something you don't like. If your not interested in it why on earth would your reader?
As to the romance, I think you could show his frustration at the things he doesn't like about her because it conflicts whith the her he created to fall in love with. (Think of the song 'I hate everything about you.' Good song but it confuses love with lust.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
most of us have not sparred with a member of the opposite sex at all

Yeah right. I'm definitely going to have to disagree with that.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You actually have a point there.
franc li
Member # 3850

By sparring, I meant like Will Riker does with his father in that ridiculous plastic armour and the long sticks with pads on the ends. Or like Worf and Deanna do in one of the episodes where they "got the heat". Verbal sparring. Pfft.

Uh, no one has ever called me amerasian to my face, and I assume it would apply. What do you think it means?

wbriggs
Member # 2267

Main Entry: Am·er·asian
Pronunciation: "a-m&-'rA-zh&n, -sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: American + Asian
: a person of mixed American and Asian descent; especially : one fathered by an American and especially an American serviceman in Asia

Survivor
Member # 213

That's why, then. FL's more an asimerican, fathered by a former asian serviceman in America.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really sure where this thread has digressed to, some of the posts lost me.

Here are a few sources of good tension that culminates.

Greg Keyes "The Briar King" between the kings forester and the bar maid that accompanies him (there names have escaped me) this relationship continues into "Charnel PRince" and in the same series the relationship between PRincess Anne and The Swordsman (whos name escapes me) from the provinces who becomes her escort, which becomes complicated by her maid. These two novels have very intricate and interesting relationships that build and change between the male-female pairings.

George Martins "A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords" have some equally nice bits, particularly the unlikely relationship between Jaime Lannister and The Maid of Tarth :-)

Or you can go another route entirely, the little short piece I'm working on has the mans romantic interest (if you can call it that) being a mouse.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Wow, talk about being attracted to someone who looks up to you!

I hadn't really processed that definition of amerasian, but I guess that would be why it generally isn't used. It's like calling someone a war orphan. I tend to think of myself as biracial, or "other". The thing is that I look a lot more asian. Even other 100% Asians make the mistake of thinking I am 100% Asian. A Japanese social scientist even placed me at 95%. I can canvas my sisters to see if any of them have been called Amerasian. I guess I thought it meant a totally asian person who is an american, similar to AfroAmerican.

Also, I personally and I would figure any right thinking asian woman would be creeped out by a guy who is turned on to asian women. But that tendency is probably increased by the fact that someone in my family married such a person. I'm sure there are plenty of nice guys who are turned on by asians. My suspicion would be that such a "turn on" is a kind of twisted antagonism.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, any kind of fetishistic desire is probably a warning sign that indicates someone views you as an object rather than a person.

Which is one reason that I didn't count the reference to Joe liking amerasian types as a sign of actual attraction to her personally. If you're attracted to a type, then that implies that any other member of that catagory would be just as acceptable. Where's the romance in that?

franc li
Member # 3850

And here's the first reply on our ver nonscientific survey about the term Amerasian :
quote:

I've not encountered that term, though it's surprisingly clear in meaning. 
Everyone should preface their Race by their Nationality. Frankasian,
Italiasian, Mexicasian... see how nice.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! That would make me... let's see now... an Amerimutt!!!!!!

I'm still here, folks, if only barely. Between my old computer dying, problems with my new one (which turned out to be nothing at all), and being highly stressed by hubby's health, I'm not being very active at the moment. You haven't gotten rid of me yet, though!

Merry Christmas one and all, Happy Holidays to anyone that doesn't celebrate Christmas, and a generic Oh Happy Day to anyone that doesn't celebrate a holiday this time of year! *VBG*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I would neccesarilly categorize a preference for Amerasian women a fetish.

That said you can get some interesting racial characteristics when you mix different racial types.

I find attractive asian women more appealing than a comparably attractive white or black woman. That her appearance is exotic, relative to what I see on a regular basis increases the attraction. Of course if she has an awful personality it doesn't matter how attractive she is.

Mullato and Mestizo women/men also have an exotic appeal.

By blending these racial characteristics you often get striking features. There is a familiarity to the persons appearance falling in line with whichever racial feature takes prominence and then a hint of the exotic from the secondary racial characteristics.

How did we end up on this topic?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Because in wb's sample of text which tried to induce romantic tension, the only thing that indicated that there was any attraction between them is that Joe noticed Michelle's amerasianness, which is his "type".

I was commenting that it is important to show that Joe is attracted to Michelle particularly, not just to her physical "type" in order to develop a sense that a romantic relationship would be a real possibility.

Besides, characterization through physical description is very weak writing. Some people like that sort of thing, but it rapidly becomes...it gets hard to take the characters seriously when the author describes them too much in terms of appearence. That goes for the characters described and for the POV describing them, and double for when the discription is of the POV character.

Going back to ww's point, I think that as long as we don't take "sparring" to mean anything it doesn't mean and include things it does mean, a little sparring is a good way to show something interesting about a relationship.

The essense of "sparring" is to fight using light, quick blows and feints. It doesn't mean a full out fight (unless applied to birds or other animals that can't land heavy blows). Something less playful than a ticklefight but less serious than a quarrel. Showing a bit of believable sparring gives the audience a lot of insight into the relationship of two characters, even if it is as simple as showing that they can engage in a fight where winning as such isn't a primary objective.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.