Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are printed books magical? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are printed books magical?
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does it seem that when text is printed in a book it seems more real or engaging than the same exact text on a computer screen? Does anybody else notice this? Do books have some magical inheren't quality that makes them desirable? More so than any other format?

But of course this is only my opinionated question.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple. When you look at a computer screen, you expect to see moving images, pretty colors and perhaps to hear sounds. If all you get is a white screen with black letters, you feel cheated somehow.

On the other hand, you have been trained from childhood to use your imagination when you pick up a book. Imagination is far better than TV, so it hooks you right away.

Or, I could just be blowing smoke, since I don't really know why either. But I do agree that books are a lot easier enjoy reading than anything on the computer. (Especially in the tub.)

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Computers don't smell near so nice.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is something more tangile about books compared to electronic copies (besides the obvious).

There is something in the whole ritual of reading a book that is very different from reading an electronic copy of something, especially from a computer. Books often have a scent that perhaps triggers the senses in ways a computer can't. You can't curl up in a big, comfy chair to read from a computer (laptops and personal electronic devices you might be able to get away with ), you have to sit in a chair, in front of a screen, and read -- you can do it, but just isn't the same as "curling up with a good book".

I think there is also something about holding a book in your hands, turning the pages, underlining or highlighting...

So, books stimulate your sense of smell, sense of touch, sense of sight; they also provoke a sense of nostalgia and relaxation.

Computers stimulate your sense of sight, maybe your sense of touch (but not nearly so much as a book) and can be uncomfortable to sit in front of because of the chair you have to sit in and the eye strain, neck strain...

Reading from a computer just doesn't compete.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious answer is that computers hurt. They hurt your eyes and your butt. It's more difficult to read a computer screen and you have to stay pretty much in one spot. With books, you can move, relax, lay out, take a bath, and the ink on paper is much softer on the eyes.

Now for what I hope is an even better answer from one who has been forced, from necessity, to switch to books on tape from books in print. I know it's a different format from the computer screen you were talking about, but be patient with me for a bit and I'll draw the correlation. When my vision first started going bad I rebelled against the idea of books on tape. My parents signed me up with the library for the blind without asking me and I refused service for almost four years. It wouldn't be the same, I told myself. Finally, when the selection of large print books failed me, I grugdingly ordered some on tape and started listening. It took me a long time to adapt, but now it feels natural, comforting, and real to me to listen instead of look.

The relationship? I think we get used to things a certain way. It's not that one way is inherently better than another, it's just that this is the way it's always been. Books are familiar friends to us. It's psychological. We associated not just the story or even the words of the story with pleasure, but also the feel of the paper, the way we sit or lay, the smells, the sounds, etc. This is why some people need music when they read or write and others need silence. It's associations. Now, after almost six years of listening to my books on tape, I associate that with the pleasure of a good story. There are even some readers I enjoy more than others because they've read better books in the past.

Anyway, there's my theory.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
A cruddily printed book isn't magical. But there are issues like most computers you have to scroll more often, and often interrupt the flow to see if you are back at the same line.

When the printing press was invented, there were those who felt a mass produced bible was somehow less holy than a hand copied one.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a switchboard operator and sit in front of a computer all day while answering phones. I don't have to do much else so I've taken the opportunity to write more fiction than I have in the last several years, but I also read a lot in between times. While I have brought in, and finished, several books, I have also tried reading on the computer.

Reading on the computer isn't too bad and it gives me something to do when the phones aren't ringing so much, but it just isn't the same. It probably is a conditioning thing, but I think there is something almost magical about books.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

I also have noticed that most people do not take electronic texts, ezines, and websites as seriously as books. No matter how hard it is to get published in a web based book or zine, many people just assume you are a 2nd rate writer if you are not physically in a book.

Why do you think that is?

Christine
Member # 1646

Too new and unfamiliar.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

My butt always goes to sleep when I've been sitting at the computer too long. With a book you can move around, change positions, lay down, relax in a hot tub, read until you fall asleep and the book hits you in the face. Why would anyone want to replace books with a computer?

Geez, I just repeated everything Christine said, didn't I.

Reminder to self: Read all the posts first. Read all the posts first.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited December 16, 2004).]

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
JB, In answer to your original question, YES. Books are magical.

I think the answer to your second question, is physicality. Things aren't real until you hold it in your hand. That is why books are magical. They are a portal from the etherial to the physical.

With that said, if I get published by a webzine, I will still be just as physically happy!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer reading on the computer screen. Partly this may be due to certain physiological differences between me and everyone else here. I'm simply more comfortable sitting in one place, not moving, and simply clicking to move to the next page of text. I also like that the computer moniter holds itself in position and is illuminated at a constant level. If I walk out for a while and come back I don't need a bookmark or anything. And the text can be made large enough that I'm not tempted to put my face too close.

This is despite the fact that I've read books avidly for nearly three decades. I'm familiar with the textures of different qualities of paper and the feel of different bindings, the smell of new books and old, the sound of pages turning. They just don't matter to me. I tend to ignore any physical sensations that aren't actually part of reading the text anyway.

I probably wouldn't like reading a device designed to be more book-like. It might provide a few advantages over a book, but it wouldn't really enjoy any over a desktop other than being portable. I would most prefer something with a small HUD and a thumbpad control or perhaps a simple voice interface.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want any physical sensation to be resulting from actually reading the text. I'm thinking papercut on the eyeball here.

I'm not what I would call an avid reader. So being enthralled with the book experience doesn't draw me in, but when I finished my novel I still printed it out even though I was basically aware that I was killing a small tree for something that still needed lots of editing.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

I think books are magical. I have been in these used bookstores that just defy laws of physics. And they are always ran by a old person who knows where every single book is even if there is no logcal system. Yet computer shops and used tech shacks never seem magical they seem junky. Useful but junky. Nobody ever says "man that computer store seemed so mystical to me."
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Enviromentalists be damned....give me my book. I can read on my pda, and can even read on the computer. I still prefer a book. Books don't need bateries, or power, and most are quite portable. Computer books don't hold the same thrill as fiction though. Electronic versions are almost as good as a dead tree version. Maybe it is because a fiction book doesn't become useless over time. Some of the concepts might be proven wrong, but if it is a good story it can live forever.

"The Forever War" starts in 1996, but I still love the book.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Forever War as well. Forgot it started in 1996...scary.

Anyway books are permanent. Computer screens are not and the temperament involved in dealing with either are in opposition.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mekvat
Member # 2271

- posted      Profile for Mekvat   Email Mekvat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the answer to your second question, is physicality. Things aren't real until you hold it in your hand.

Preach it, TruHero. A printed book is a THING, with heft, occupying space, which can be comfortably read and re-read, shared among friends, amd handed down to one's children.

But holding something in one's hand is not the only thing.

Printed books are magical, IMO, because producing a printed book is difficult. This is a key component of any magical system: If it were easy, ANYONE could do it. I can testify to the fact that bookmaking --- typesetting, printing, binding, etc --- is an extremely arcane discipline, involving five hundred years of accumulated Black Knowledge. Every stroke of every letter of a printed book (and to a greater extent, a hand-copied manuscript) is put there by the conscious, deliberate act of a human person, who decided what shapes would go where on which page. The words in a book are immutable, personal, and difficult. An electronic text? Well, who knows in what form the words I'm writing now will come to you? They're device-independent, malleable, anonymous, and effortless. And I can change them any time I like. Any yahoo with access to a computer can make an electronic text (as this message attests). Making a real printed book takes skill and effort.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I often sit at the computer all day long. To keep your backside from going to sleep you need to check the rating on your desk chair. When I bought my new one I was surprised to find they all had a rating card for how many hours a day you can sit in the chair and still be comfortable. Some were as low as 1 or 2 hours and some as high as 10 or 12. The one I picked seemed kind of hard compared to some of the others, but it had a higher rating at 6 hours. Since I've gotten it, no more back or sitter problems.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Well, after thinking about it and reading your posts I still have to stick with my original answer: Printed books are not magical, but they have psychological power that probably feels like magic. All the things you feel, all the joys and passions of a good story that begin when you pick up the book and feel its pages, they are all induced by Classical Conditioning -- the same thing that made Pavlov's dog drool. Yeah, it's not as romantic as your magical explanation, but even though I love to escape to fantasy for writing and reading in the real world I have a very pragmatic and scientific mind.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
A study was done where brain waves were monitored during different activities, and it was found that the brain is actually about as active when you're staring at a screen as it is when you're asleep. Maybe that has something to do with it.

One of my teachers told me about that when I was in High School. Not sure how reliable the source is.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, I am sure just how reliable the source is

Seriously, though, it all comes down to personal preference, heavily influenced by neurophysiology.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
For a definitive answer, maybe we'll have to wait for a generation of kids who learned to read and do most of their reading on computers, then give them books and see if they complain the same way we do, only backwards.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a conspiracy by the printing industry to keep their business alive. They have teachers, professors, and a few screen writers say some stuff that make books sound important so that we don't stop buying them.

This usually includes saying stuff like "it's not REAL if it's just some data somewhere" or "what happens when all the elctricity goes off and we lose everything. The only thing left to read will be books" and "Books are magical."

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I have for decades worked so much on computers, that reading on one for pleasure is difficult. The problem is that I immediately go into 'work' mode, and since so much of my work involves reviewing other's writing, that means that I am much more likely to critically inspect writing on a screen than to just read it.

That said, I often use my PDA to read on. Even then, it is hard to break out of 'work mode', but generally I can do it after a while.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This usually includes saying stuff like "it's not REAL if it's just some data somewhere" or "what happens when all the elctricity goes off and we lose everything. The only thing left to read will be books" and "Books are magical."

Ok, now let me throw in a few of the not so well known disadvantages to electronic books.

I can take my piece of dead tree and loan it to someone. While I can't read it at the same time, no one may specify that I cannot. And ebook will normally have restrictions, or worse, use things like a credit card number as a key. Now I do understand the reasoning for this. I despise being told what I can and cannot use it with. Until there is a reasonable solution to this paticular problem, a real book continues to have an advantage.

Also, for some reason, ebooks can cost just as much as a real one. This is a bit of a mystery, since it cost the publisher almost nothing to sell you an ebook. The printed version requires paper, binding, and shelf/warehouse space. I'm sure those costs are many times greater than the minimal cost of an ebook. Another reason I stick with real books...I have them.

I'm not against ebooks...I'm just for my dead tree collection.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Just for the record, that was mostly a joke. I love books. I can't lay in bed and read a laptop like I can a book, and paper is softer on the eyes than any sort of screen.

But books aren't magical. Whatever is the best way is the best way. Books don't have any magical or poetic qualities. They just have certain advantages and disadvantages like everything else.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Archer probably doesn't believe in Santa Claus either. It's only Magical if you want it to be. Yes Virginia there really is a Santa Claus.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone defined "magical"?

Perhaps by magic it's meant that there are certain indefinable qualities books have that just can't be explained.

We could offer theories why most prefer books, and it might explain some of it, but there might not be one all-encompassing explanation that gets to the core of the preference. So in that sense, it is "magical".

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

No, it's all explainable.

1.) Tangability
2.) History/culture
3.) Brainwashing

The fact that it's all unconscious doesn't make it magical.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it supernatural? Of course not.

According to Dictionary.com, the 4th definition for "magic" as a noun is: 'A mysterious quality of enchantment'.

As an adjective, the second definition is: 'Possessing distinctive qualities that produce unaccountable or baffling effects'

Also, 'Characteristic of something that works although no one really understands why'.

Even with something that can be explained, magic can be a 'feature not generally publicised that allows something otherwise impossible or a feature formerly in that
category but now unveiled' or 'As yet unexplained, or too complicated to
explain'.

Or the second definition of magical: 'Enchanting; bewitching: a magical performance of the ballet'

Survivor
Member # 213

It's true that the experience of reading a conventional printed book can be magical to some people, but that wasn't the topic of this thread.

JB was just asking how many other people felt this effect, he wasn't asking whether such an effect could exist in theory.

For myself, I find illuminated manuscripts far more "magical" than printed books, even when the manuscript and accompanying illumination exist only in electronic form. But this isn't the case for everyone, nor was it the topic of this thread.

I maintain that the magic of printed books is more in the eye of the beholder than anything inherent in the process of printing. After all, books aren't even printed anymore, and they haven't been for years. Nobody even noticed when they stopped using the printing process and substituted a completely different process. The word has completely lost its former meaning and been adopted to mean something utterly different, only the same in that both processes are means of putting information onto a surface.

Which means nothing to me. And I suspect that it doesn't mean anything to anyone else here, otherwise it would have been mentioned already. I regard the fact that printing is no longer the way books are made as being of importance mainly because of how it affects the economics of actually producing copies of a book, and I don't believe that anything has been lost by adopting a cheaper method of producing something that is indistinguishable to the vast majority of readers.

Whereas most readers can tell the difference between text on a computer screen and type on a collection of bound pages very easily. As can I. I happen to prefer text on a screen. Others prefer type on a page. For me, the preferance is a simple matter of pragmatic issues and comfort. For most people on the other side, it is the same, there are practical and aesthetic arguments for both forms. And there are some other elements of both preferences that can't easily be communicated by arguments.

For me, being able to use a computer to read things is somewhat "magical", in that there are parts of the experience that I can understand but simply cannot explain to persons that do not share it. To most people that prefer books, there is something "magical" that they cannot explain.

For me, the most magical format in which infomation can be communicated is song. But I do not believe that there is anything inherent in the nature of song (here meaning music and vocalization combined) that makes it so. It certainly has competition from other forms of expressive art, with other people.

I would certainly rate illuminated manuscripts higher than printed books, but that is a matter of individual taste. Still, my terrible handwriting has been more than a merely practical hardship for me. I've always wished that I could express myself in beautiful handwriting, and I also have always wished that I could line-draw. Because of that I know about what it would be like for me to lose my voice.

And you know what? It would be much worse for me if I couldn't sing anymore than if I couldn't print and bind books. And I would be much more distressed if suddenly there were no more singing in the world than I was when printed books were quietly replaced with books produced by a process called printing only because the result is basically the same.

But I'm a writer, not a printer. To me, printing is just a way to get type--typi or whatever you'd call it--onto a surface. And I only really care about the type insofar as it is text.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Picked up a book at the library that was printed in 1967. Now I don't know all that much about the printing industry, but being an artist I know paper. The paper this book is printed on feels like silk. It's soft and warm and the edges were rough cut. It feels like I'm stroking a rabbit every time I turn the page.

What a pleasure. Too bad the story isn't all that wonderful.

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

Wow I had someone argue my intentions as if I were a founding father (and dead) and this was a court. OF course I could write a paper stating my own interpretations of my original meaning, but somehow one of you would strike it down as meaningless and not my intentions at all. Insisting that I could not understand what I really meant considering that I, myself wrote it.

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited December 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited December 28, 2004).]

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Well, JB, I for one agree with you. Those old bookstores really are magical. Especially the one where I live--they even have a lady who reads palms every Friday!
Survivor
Member # 213

Sorry to seem to pull out the "intent" argument. I don't argue intent, I only concern myself with what somebody actually said or did rather than what the "intent" was.

I was just aiming at the incipient argument over whether there was such a thing as "magic" at all. And I chose an extended answer to the actual question (as opposed to the "intended" question, or the "implied" question, or any other i-question) as my blunt force tool.

DJD finds old bookstores magical. I find them dusty firetraps, magical only in that they haven't all burned down (that probably is magic, come to think of it...). I also don't believe that the printing process ever actually lent any special quality to paper that it didn't already possess, good paper is good paper whether you use a printing method or some other transfer process. I hate to admit this, but I think that getting a card made of good handmade paper is much nicer than getting a card expressing the exact same sentiments only printed on machined paper.

So what is my point? Printed books aren't the most magical possible format for a text. Most people find them more magical than electronic text, but not everyone, and if you look at the relative scarcity/price dynamic of printed books, it seems that almost no one actually thinks that printed books are the most magical format for passing along information.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So books might appear to be magical to a primitive human.

Conversely if some "wizard" from the future showed up today and wrote words in firey letters in the air a person might assume it was magic, or a sci-fi reader might assume it was a cool trick with holography :-)

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited December 31, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

No, the most primitive humans capable of understanding the concept of "book" wouldn't consider it magic. You could probably do something using writing that they would consider magic, for instance, you could write down their oral tradition and thus appear to have learned the entire oral tradition verbatim in a single hearing, which would impress them no end (though they might figure it out soon enough).

Printing and bookbinding technologies rely on physical effects that all primitive humans understood perfectly well, so they would merely have thought it very clever, not magical.

The thing is, magic is an effect of mystery. The mystery doesn't have to be technological (not knowing how something is accomplished). The mystery can be anything, as long as it is something that the observer has a felt desire to know. When you want to understand something, but it is impossible to understand, you feel a sense of awe at the proof of things "beyond your ken". That this awe can be deliberately induced by obfuscation doesn't change the fact that it is a very natural feeling.

In a serious vein, we describe this yearning for something beyond human intelligence and power as "religion". The diminutive "magic" is taken from the name of cultic arts which served as props for small time religions of the past.

For me, the magic is in the text. The sense of wondering awe is inspired by the reflections of that text in the lives of people who put everything on the line for the sake of the sentiments in the text. And the method used to display the text is only interesting to me insofar as it is a practical question. But I'm not like you (in case that needs to be further established ).

P.S. be careful, when quoting the KJV online, that you turn off smilies

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

To me writing seems rather sorcerous in and of itself. All the rules, methods, and techniques to generate these golems and visions. I mean the labor involved in perfecting one 2000 word spell (short story) can involve three or more people, several rewrites, loss of sleep, and madness. Furthermore getting other witches, wizards, and sorcerors to agree with you (never mind the druids and priests) that your spell is ready to be cast (published) seems to be an act of pure masochism. They always comment about your style, invocation, and vision. You slave to make your little spell soar skywards like a rocket, and instead it sputters about on the ground weaving this way and that like a bottle rocket with no stem. Until one day some wizard in round black glasses and a lightning scar hands you a piece of duct tape and a stem. It was so obvious once it's shown to you. So you rush out and try to use it on another spell and it doesn't apply.

Sorcery just seems tough.

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited December 31, 2004).]

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Some prefer books as the most enchanting medium. Some prefer it online. Some might not care.

So, I guess most agree that the story itself is "magic", while not all agree it depends on the medium in which it is presented.

Come to think about it, nobody has really explained the magic of conciousness, and like the previous posting mentioned, that is where these stories stem from.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

nm...

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited December 31, 2004).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool analogy, JBSkaggs.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
YUep, JBSkaggs. Cool. Write the story, please.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Eh, apply it to a story that isn't about being a writer, though. Or about a young magician with round glasses and a lightning scar.

I have to confess something at this point. I have a copy of Watership Down that has been in my possession since I was a child. Both covers are missing, along with everything before the table of contents and everything after the first page of the lapine glossary. There are chemical stains and at least one prominent burn mark visible, and when you open it every page is browm--rather than yellow--with age.

There aren't any foodstains, no sticky pages. I rarely eat when I'm reading this particular book. It is one of the oldest physical artifacts of my childhood, but it became such becase I never wholly neglected it. Is my connection with this text entirely in the words? Isn't there some attachment to the object itself?

Yes. As strong an attachment as I am capable of feeling for any particular physical object. Not strong enough to save this book from the fate of all the other possessions of my childhood. Eventually it will be misplaced and someone else will throw it away. The thought is poignant, but it doesn't pain me. It is irreplacable, because it is unique. It is unique only insofar as I know this copy from every other copy. If it could be replaced, I would have no attachment to this copy.

All physical objects are like that. Of course, I don't really live in the physical world, I only work here (temporarily, at that). So that skews my perspective a bit. To a human, the text is only real when it has a physical form, the less physical the form the less real the text. To me, the physical form is only real insofar as it has logos or idea. This copy of Watership Down is very real to me, and not all of the logos that makes it so is printed on those pages. Much of the information is not even present in the physical world at all, including my physical memory.

Does that make any sense?

Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
None whatsoever. But then that, evil aura notwithstanding, is uniquely part of your being Survivor (not to be confused with being John Malkovich, who I suspect is entirely fictitious).

Edited for a hasty mispelling. That'll teach me to try to be funny.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited January 01, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Um... that's a joke, right? You do know that he's a real actor, right?
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, but he's never personally met the guy or anything like that. He doesn't actually have any primary source documents which prove that John Malkovitch is a real person rather than a part played by an actor named...Larry Edwards or something.

He probably can't even be totally sure that there ever was a real actor who played John Malkovitch, how does Warbric know that they haven't been using computer generated footage of the guy all along?

And of course he's joking. He said my post didn't make any sense at all

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

That'd be amazing if Death of a Salesman featured a cgi character in 1985. This Malkovich conspiracy must reach to some pretty high levels.

Wait... why would they make a cgi guy so ugly? It's a conspiracy to make Dick Cheyney more acceptable compared to Edwards!

Survivor
Member # 213

Of course, every grand conspiracy has to reach epic levels. In this case, the CGI was produced using salvaged processors from the Roswell UFO.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

If you want to make Cheney more acceptable than Edwards all you have to do is listen to them speak :-)

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

And don't point to vast corruptness of Cheyney's past. And point out that Edwards was a trail lawer.

"Oooo! He was a trial lawyer! He MUST be evil! Who cares if Lincoln was a trial lawyer, they're evil! Much more evil than those CEOs who rip off their employees!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.