Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The next stage-- completed novel, now what?

Author Topic: The next stage-- completed novel, now what?
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I need some guidance.

BACKGROUND: I've just finished book 1, tho need obviously a rewrite to trim. Bk 2 is not even a vague idea. Initially, the concept was envisioned as a trilogy but I'm almost prepared to consider a duology... the concept lends itself to future stand alones if I just can't get enough of this world. I do not at this time have a synopsis of Bk1 or a remote idea of what happens next in the duo/trilogy except for the ultimate end state.

WHAT'S NEXT?: At what point do I try to solicit an agent (ie, until bk 2 is in draft form? half way done? now?)? Should I try to get an agent while trying to submit it to publishers myself (for those that don't require agented manuscripts)? I have a map for the book that's not the greatest, though it did the trick for the writing; should I try to solicit someone to make me a decent one to include in my submission package?

I appreciate the help...

Sili

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't try to get an agent until this one is DONE. You really don't want to be in the position of having someone say "Send it," and having to reply: "Ok, in a couple of months, after I fix things up."
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that thought. I am now at over a year and a half since I "finished" my first draft and I still don't feel like I have gotten it to full second draft status (this could be because I HATE editing) but you really need to have a book ready before you try to shop it.

You could spend time brainstorming about where book 2 needs to go while you let book 1 cool off before you dig in to do the edit. Or you could spend time on this and other boards procrastinating, not that I have . . .

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only have #1 done and ready to mail, but have several synopses ready (a one page for sure, but also a three-page or so, and a longer eight-page or so), a paragraph blurb, and a one-sentence tag line, any of which may be requested by different agents or editors and all of which will be handy when you write your queries. I'd suggest having them done ahead, because they can be harder to write than the book.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
When I "finished" my novel back in October I gave it to my parents to read and then ignored it for two months. I picked it up again this month and am slowly rereading it, circling and making notes but not making any changes yet. After a chat with my dad a few nights ago in conjunction with my own fresh set of eyes on the material, I have decided (grrrr) that it needs another rewrite. (This will be my third.) I do, at least, feel more confident about this one than the previous ones.

So that's my story. I recommend finding someone who is willing to read it, bracing yourself for whatever they have to say, and coming back to it in a few monthswith fresh eyes. I used NaNoWriMo as a distraction, but perhaps you can think of something else. Hopefully, in a few months when you come back to it you'll decide it only needs a little brushing off or perhaps a bit of elbow grease here and again, then you can start looking for an agent. At the very least, I would fish for volunteers to read your query package (first 3 or so chapters + cover letter + synopsis) on F&F.

Good luck!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a break from it.

Let it sit and ferment for awhile before you go back to do edits.

Work on something else--a few short stories, some research, another book. The purpose is to prevent yourself from getting burned out on it. Enjoy the time you have to write this first book, because with deadlines after you've become published you won't have that luxury again.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kathmandau
Member # 2254

- posted      Profile for kathmandau   Email kathmandau         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get a editorial consultant through the North Carolina Writer's Network (for NC writers) or perhaps hook up with http://www.noveladvice.com
Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
in the words of my agent, what use is book 2 if book 1 doesn't sell?

Keep the idea in mind, but get book 1 done and out there. (Hopefully you made it stand alone)

And worry about book 2 if book 1 sells.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
kathmandau
Member # 2254

- posted      Profile for kathmandau   Email kathmandau         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you find your agent? How long have you been with this agent?

Also, maybe the number 2 novel is the one that catches the eye of the publisher and public.

I think one should write number one, give it your all, then finish it! Go to the next, and the next, improving with every one...until your tire of the craft or have nothing else to say.

[This message has been edited by kathmandau (edited December 22, 2004).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.