Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Mutants and other similar terms

Author Topic: Mutants and other similar terms
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, as the title of this post implies, I'm finally going to get the ground work of my "hero" story going.

Since the word "mutant" has been overused and/or abused since like 1963 or so, what would be a term that could be used? I've come up with "metahuman" since I fear of infringing on other's toes. What do you guys think?

Here's what dictionary.com says about "meta"

meta- or met-
pref.

Later in time: metestrus.
At a later stage of development: metanephros.
Situated behind: metacarpus.

Change; transformation: metachromatism.
Alternation: metagenesis.

Beyond; transcending; more comprehensive: metalinguistics.
At a higher state of development: metazoan.
Having undergone metamorphosis: metasomatic.

Derivative or related chemical substance: metaprotein.
Of or relating to one of three possible isomers of a benzene ring with two attached chemical groups, in which the carbon atoms with attached groups are separated by one unsubstituted carbon atom: meta-dibromobenzene

I'm open to all suggestions and comments. Thank you for your time.

-Bryan-

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited December 20, 2004).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a genesis for this hero of yours?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Well metahuman is heavilly used by DC comics, whereas Mutant is the Marvel term.

You'd be better off avoiding either of those terms.

Homo-Superior is also used often by Marvel.

I've used Alpha and Beta in pieces I've written in the past. Alpha being used for normals or sometimes Alpha being used to designate the first changed (mutants).

Neohuman or some derivative would work too.

Neo Sapien etc...

Good luck, pretty much any reasonable term you come up with has been used by someone else first, so you can either pick a less desirable title or a less used one.

I'm partial to Alpha and Beta since they are generic enough that you don't give the impression of theft. Whereas Marvel thanks to X-men, are readilly identified with the term "mutant" and DC chose "metahuman" in the mid 80's and will be identified as such by any comic reader.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
Freelance genomes
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
Slan, with or without tendrils.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Meta always means to me the transcending definition. Metacognitive, metalinguistics, metapsychology. I think of it as a non-inherent state.

Alpha and Beta, weren't they the terms from Brave New World?

I would be interested to know the degree of difference this individual has from humans. Is he a sub species or a different species? Is it a He? Did he just get an unexplained mutation or did his mom really like microwave popcorn? Is he a clone of the someone really cool, raised in special conditions knowing how cool he would be to be even cooler?

You know, like a :tongue in cheek: Tom Hanks clone raised in a special school to see if he can be made more the greatest actor who ever lived than he already is? In short, to test our education system against the shaping power of the accidents of fate? A Tom Hanks who would never have made "The Burbs".

P.S. You could also look at the morphemes "andro" and "vir". I'm not sure what "epi-" means, but that sounds interesting. What else? "Ana-" means building or increasing, doesn't it? Or maybe he eschews labels that mean "man" and is named for the gene site that makes him special. 20xty6, for example.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited December 21, 2004).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

I'll just post another post because if I keep editing that one post I look more psycho than I intend to. What about terms from horticulture or agriculture? Was this guy created for some reason (that always gives an interesting twist to a story, you find it in most of OSC's work) or did he just happen? Is his value recognized or does he have to lay low to avoid the fate of others like him? Or does only he know of his powers? Does he have powers?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Metamorph. Of course this really only works if the change affects the person's physical appearance through a metamorphosis.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperhuman?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alpha and Beta, weren't they the terms from Brave New World?

Beat me to it

It really depends on how you use the term. Use "genetically altered humans" "humanoids" "different/special people" etc. Mutants would be fine if used by scientific people, as the comics have the term used by everyone. If you restrict it to profs. etc. it would appear more as a scientific term than a derrogatory one (as it is in the comics).

Meta-humans just seems wrong to me. Which is why Marvel pwnz DC any day.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

I forgot Huxley used that :-(

Though Alpha and Beta is still pretty generic, heh just proves my point, no matter what term you settle on it's been used by someone else.

There were lots of good suggestions.

Trans- is nice, several RPG's use that effectively.

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Transhuman is commonly used to refer to humanity improved through the use of technology, in the SF I tend to read this is often via AI (e.g. simulated people running quickly on computer processors, or other similar developments).

Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

ok, my guy "Tower" was genetically altered, because he showed signs of being different. His employer ( read MOB ) had him enhanced to be a more effective bodyguard, not knowing the enhancements triggered an explosion of powers he already had in him.

He then becomes a bounty hunter of "Deeves" and "Genegineered". He then becomes the first Federally licensed bounty hunter, after working for his employer for a short while.

Is this the sort of thing you were talking about Survivor? His beginning?

franc li
Member # 3850

Does the alteration have to be genetic, stricly speaking? What about if he just gets shot full of ribosomes that increase his androsterone levels? Then he could be a ribovir or an androsome.

I think the potential of extranuclear cellular activity is way underutilized in Sci fi. Well, if you don't count metachlorians. Those are the apparent medium of "The Force" introduced in episode I.

franc li
Member # 3850

Okay, I have another idea. I forget which is which, but the DNA that codes for proteins is called either an Intron or an Exon. In between is DNA whose function is not clear. I think it makes up some ridiculous proportion of the genome, like 90%. Some think it is leftovers from our genetic ancestors. Others think there is some information on when genes should be used, and others think it's just gibberish. But I'm guesssing the unexpected powers are coming from the mystery DNA? So you could use that.

Or just make up something that sounds cool, then invent a phrase for which it can be an acronym.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm...so his "enhancement" was post-zygote? That means that you pretty much have to take the non-nuclear route, as FL suggested (if this is supposed to be SF at all).

Since this was an artificial process, just make up a suitable name for the process, and say he is "[name of proccess]ed".

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
You know a simple abbreviation could work. Such as in the following crappy little example.

Yeah I'm a mutant, a monster, something supersized in the lab. People on the street call my type an EH. That's prounced EE ACSH. Its short for enhaced human. Some of us are illegal like the EH babes down at the blue lite district. Me I'm legit all the way down to my little micro engineered toes.
Or something like that. People tend to give things nicknames or acronyms. Even mutant becomes abbreviated into muties. Like how people refuse to use the word robot now? It's bot. You can use genetic terms like F1 Gen for first generation or F2 Gen 2nd generation etc. The point is make it something that sticks, is easy to remember, and fits the cuture of your story.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Mutie? That reminds me of a very funny story from a guy I knew who worked in tech support at DirectTV. A furious customer called to say the sound was broken on his system, and the only error message he could find was that on the TV screen it said "muttie". "How is that spelled?" "M-U-T-E".

Okay, anyway, I was going to say mutt might be an interesting term for a person enhanced with transgenic DNA. Like, if he gets his strength from a gene transferred out of another lifeform. Such as, oh, I don't know... a spider or something. Say, that would make a good story!

HuntGod
Member # 2259

Sounds like an ID-10T error to me.

If your going for a gritty cyberpunk type setting, I think the EH idea would work well.

Maybe the normals call them all EH's and pronounce it Ay, like a Canadian :-)

Then among the enhanced community you could have additional variations depending on the nature of the enhancement. Bricks, speeders, etc...

Survivor
Member # 213

Tanks, Scrappers, Blasters....
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah just call them all Squirrels. (oh wait don't steal that one it's mine.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

ok, you guys have given some good ideas and suggestions, but I might go with "Deviations" or "Deeves" as an insulting term.

Survivor: I think you are going for classifications of powers. (ie, Ferals, Elementalists, Mystics, Shrinkers, that sort of thing )

HuntGod: I used to play CyberPunk, and the feeling of the story isn't at all in that genre. But EH sounds tempting to use.

Franc Li: That is a great plausible explanation of these anomolies.

You guys are wonderful as always. Thanks

-Bryan-

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.