Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New Year's Writing Resolutions

Author Topic: New Year's Writing Resolutions
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a lot like "Promise Report" except that thread is getting long and full and many people feel that January 1st is the magic date to sort of get in gear. So in the spirit of New Year's Resolutions, what are your writing gols for 2005?

Mine:

1. To finish "Touch of Fate," my novel in progress which is about to enter its third (and hopefully final) draft. I was hoping that #2 would be its last draft but it seems clear that the story wants to be a suspense rather than a mystery. I want to be writing query letters by December 2005!

2. To write four solid short stories, one each quarter. I don't want to write a short story a week or a month like I have done in the past because these often turn out sub par, but I want to continue writing those shorter stories that have a better chance of being published in a year instead of ten years. Four stories also lines up with the WOTF quarters, where each story will begin its journey.

3. To read one new fiction book each week. That means that by the end of the year I will be 52 books closer to well-read by anyone's definition.

4. To research at least four new nonfiction topics that I have never looked deeply into before. I'm considering beginning with lesser-known mythologies (ie not Greek, Roman, Egyptian, or Norse). Possibly African or Asian myths.

5. To continue submitting stories despite numerous rejections until they find their homes. I cannot make a goal that is not in my power (such as a goal to sell x number of short stories) but I can do everything in my power to make 2005 a banner year for me.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
My writing ghouls for 2005:

Complete a novella in my Bridgetown milieu and submit it for publication.
    Complete my Otter Sons novella.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine are:

1. Figure out the problem with my novel length WIP "Emissary" (my characters have been literally stuck on a ledge for a year).

2. Finish the seven short stories that are half finished. (In the Pines, GreyHounds, Last Eagle, Rose Garden, Well of Souls, Cobblestones, and Quillen)

3. Improve my punctuation and formatting.

4. Do a rewrite on my rewrite challenge story (Sirens), using the helpful feedback from my Hatrack friends.

5. Complete my WOF entry "Stormhorse".

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Finish fleshing out and revise the novel I worked on during NaNoWriMo.

2. Work up some serious minded stories suitable for WOTF (And most of the rest of the magazine world. Silliness has a smaller market I have discovered.) 4 is probably a good number on that.

3. Do NaNoWriMo again.

4. Get a full outline of a novel together (possibly for combination with #3)

5. Keep stories in the mail (I like this one, it's the easy one!)

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I already made my other NYRs, so here go my writing ones:

1. Rewrite my NaNoWriMo draft into something worthwhile.

2. Read, read, read. Everything, but especially within genre.

3. Write, write, write. Anything, everything. If it intrudes upon my consciousness, I must write it down. Write it now; figure out its usefulness later. I miss too many good snippets of dialogue and description by mistakenly believing that I will remember it later.

4. Start outlining the novel whose story precedes my NaNoWriMo story.

5. Stop doing all my writing at the keyboard; put that fine Waterman to good use and WRITE with it!

6. Do NaNoWriMo again. Insanity also loves company.

7. Try to participate here more consistently.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
Member # 2277

- posted      Profile for Somerset           Edit/Delete Post 
Simply, to write every day, day after day, month after month, and to read as much, as deeply, and as carefully as I can.

I have a 500 word minimum daily writing goal. Most days I write more, sometimes up to 2000 words. But those days I'm tried or the writing is difficult, I force myself to write 500 words.

Last year I read 60 books. Everything from Dickens' GREAT EXPECTATIONS and Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE to Orson Scott Card's SEVENTH SON and Stephen King's THE GREEN MILE. That was too much. I didn't read as carefully as I should have. My new goal is to read constantly without thinking about quantity. Once deciding how long it should take me to read a novel (or a short story collection), I figure out how many pages I need to read a day to finish it.

I certainly like Christine's idea of studying four nonfiction topics. For me they will be American History, Nazi Germany, the history of art, and the life of either Washington or Teddy Roosevelt.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I am going to take a different approach. I am going to set goals for writing, but also some other goals for keeping my life in harmony. I think that my problem in 2004 was that I obsessed over certain things and let other things slide.

I will write everyday until all the words in my head are on the page. I am not setting a word count right now, I will see if I think I need to.
This may sound sappy, but I am going to spend time with my wife and do more things with her. I am also going to take long rides on my motorcycle, because that is the thing that centers me, and clears my head for writing. After riding, I am going to work in the yard, plant some more flowers and play with my dog. There, I think I put in all the important stuff. That should keep things balanced, so I don't feel bad about spending too much time locked in my room with the computer.

So for writing, I would like to complete the three short stories I am working on. I would also like to start fleshing out the fantasy novel I outlined in the Dave Wolverton workshop I attended this year.
If I can do all that I will be happy.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Rewrite my 2004 Nano. Right now it is a mystifying wandering plotless pile of garbage, but I still love the idea, and want to see what it's like when it's put together.

2. Polish and then obsessively sub my 4 best stories.

Also I will do 2005 Nano, and write more stories as they occur to me, and continue to do crits here and in other forums.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
To finish my novel by the end of January. I did 1/3 in Dec, but I think I can pick up the pace.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dspellweaver
Member # 2133

- posted      Profile for dspellweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
My number one resolution is to get my freelance writing career underway so I don't have to work for the "man" anymore.

Get my website in working order.

If funds permit, go to the Maui writer's conference this year.

I'm revising my goals a little. This year is going to be a learning year for me and as such I am going to read everything I get my hands on.

Happy New Year!!!

[This message has been edited by dspellweaver (edited January 03, 2005).]

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Terra_T
Member # 2282

- posted      Profile for Terra_T   Email Terra_T         Edit/Delete Post 
Several of the listed resolutions apply to me as well:
1) Write at least one short story per quarter
2) Finish my Nano novel
3) Read, read, and read some more -- both fiction and non-fiction
4) Participate in Nanowrimo 2005 (and win again!)

Terra!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
drosdelnoch
Member # 2281

- posted      Profile for drosdelnoch   Email drosdelnoch         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Im setting myself what is probably a simple set to stick too.

1) To continue my avid reading (around 10 books per month minimum)
2) To carry on trying to write a book and to sort out the ideas (I tend to get on with one and then have ideas for another and start on that.
3) Write a proper plan for whats going to happen in the tale
4) Write a scene every few days (even if it wont go into the plot of the book as it can give an insight of the characters that may come in useful
5) Possibly interview each character, sometimes a quirky thing can come out that leads to other idea's.
6) Submit written scenes every month for critique and then rewrite each within the following month after advice has been given.

I should add quit smoking but its my only vice.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Terra_T
Member # 2282

- posted      Profile for Terra_T   Email Terra_T         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Quitting Smoking

Good for you! Take it from me, you can do it. I quit 2 years ago and I still pat myself on the back for it. It's tough to do, but oh so worth it in the end.

I have an excellent list of "Good Things to Look Forward to When you Quit" that someone gave me. If you'd like to have it for inspiration, send me a message and I'd be happy to share it with you.

Terra!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Vehige
Member # 2284

- posted      Profile for Jeff Vehige           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple, really.

1. To read as much as I can, fiction and nonfiction.

2. To write as much as I can: 1000 words daily, minimum.

3. To send my stuff out to at least 10 markets before putting it in the grave.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Finish my NaNoWriMo effort
2. Write a page a day (Would prefer 2000 words, but I want reasonable goals and I'm traveling a lot this year.)
3. Not get behind with my writer's group.
4. Not sacrifice time with my husband to do these other things.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm

to get my brain in gear and actually concentrate on one thing at a time, rather than flitting from one project to the next!

At the moment, that's about it.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
okay, I have one.
Submit an applicable piece to every single magazine market in the 2005 Writers Market.

Since I know ahead of time that there's no way on Earth that I'm going to keep that resolution, I can dispense with the stress now, and just be happy-go-lucky.

See. I'm smiling already.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.