Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Settings

Author Topic: Settings
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
How detailed should my settings be?

I realize this is a rather broad topic that, like most others, can be answered with "as much as you want it", but, almost two chapters into my WIP, I find that, except for a few social taboos, I've included almost no world description. In this almost tribal milieu, with some early-civilization mixed in (think Meso-American), and some American Wild West for good measure, would you say that I have to describe the tavern Ethan and Kara enter, or can I say that "they entered the tavern and ordered a drink?"

And yes, I realize that there were no taverns in Meso-America.

...were there? (I'll research more extensively the next go. Right now, I just want to get the story down.)

I think I can say they entered it, and the reader will envision every dirty, worn, and smelly tavern they've ever seen or read about. If I add too much detail, and include something they don't recognize, it might jerk them out of the story and destroy the illusion.

Any thoughts?

CVG

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it has to do with genre, intent, choice of POV, whether a detail advances the plot...

The example you brought up is good. Everyone has an idea in mind what a tavern is suppose to look like. Details are brought up incidentally, as the character needs them. However if the character sees something out of the norm, then it can be described.

So my opinion is instead of drowning the reader in detail, just tell them what's different.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I applaud your intentions. I think descriptive minimalism is laudable.

There are a lot of ways to "sneak" description into the story, though. A lot of them can be snuck in, like Chris said, when something is unusual. Because if something is unusual, then its not unusual for your character to notice it. And the number and type of things your character finds unusual also says something about your character.

The real bonus of this technique is that you get a surprising amount of description, and it's all doing double-duty as character development. And, to the reader, it doesn't look like description at all.

[This message has been edited by J (edited January 02, 2005).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the POV character used to taverns? Are there things about the tavern that this POV character will notice despite being very familiar with taverns in general? Are there specific elements of the tavern's layout and decor that will affect the plot?

If the answer to all of these questions is no, then don't bother to have the character enter the tavern. If the answer to any of them is yes, say something more than "they entered the tavern and ordered a drink."

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How detailed should my settings be?

If you're Tolien, extremely detailed. If you're Hemingway, minimally detailed. If you're 99% of the rest of the writers in the world, somewhere in between.

quote:
I realize this is a rather broad topic that, like most others, can be answered with "as much as you want it"

As much as you want it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
While you can go with "as much as you want", you may prefer to go with as much as your audience asks for.

If you aren't sure how much you need, and are more concerned with getting the story on paper, then that is what you should probably focus on right now. Once you start sending it out for critique, readers will let you know if you have a hit or miss as far as setting goes. You can even ask critiquers to give you specific feedback on your settings. Ask them what sort images they are getting. Is the setting clear or foggy? Do they feel comfortable or confused?

Bar, tavern, pub, etc., all mean essentially the same thing, but they each conjure up different images. Sometimes it is enough to say, "So-and-so entered the tavern."

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read books with so much detail it was boring, and others that had so little I knew almost nothing about it. So how much do you need? I would think that would depend on the world you are writing in. If you are writing a story set in the present, on earth...then you can get away with very little description. If you are writing about something that is not already known to most readers, then you should have a bit more.

Exatly how much...that depends on your style. One thing you might try is paying attention to what you notice when you go somewhere. What types of things catch your attention, would those types of things be something your character would notice? Also remember that there people have more than two senses, sight and hearing. Smells, the way things feel, temperature...little additions to a story which add other senses can give vast amounts of descriptive value without adding paragraphs of bordome. If the character smells perfume, then there is most likely a woman nearby...and most likely one that is better off (depending on the society). The texture of something can have value as well.

If you want good description, describe what is important that will get across whe the reader needs to know. Does the reader need to know every detail...not really. If the character sits at a table, do you need to describe all the details of the table? Only if those descriptions have a purpose. If you describe the table as having a wooden top (because a knive will be stuck in it later) you don't have to bother with what kind of wood, or it's color. Remember that description adds details to what the reader sees, but let the reader fill in the details that are not relevant to the story. If I see a oak table top that has a dark stain on it, and someone else sees pine with varnish and no stain...does it matter? Will that change the story? If not, the table being wood is all you need to add. There is a nice book on description, and is called "Description", I believe by "Monica Wood", and it covers description quite well.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like going with "what's interesting" and "what my POV character would notice." For example, a pre-Columbian Indian visiting my living room would notice the indoor lighting, the windows, the carpet, the fact that there's no smoke. If it's a modern American going in, I'd just say, "He went into the living room."

Critiquers complain about this at times, but I'm not sure they're right.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your living room is that boring, eh?

When I enter my living room, I notice that it's the living room and how messy/neat (mostly messy) it is.

So if I need my POV to notice some things, I just shove a few things out of place so they get noticed.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.