Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Protagonist introduction...

Author Topic: Protagonist introduction...
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! Just some questions/thoughts that I could use your opinions on.

In a novel-length story, how long do you think is too long before the main protagonist is introduced?

For example, if an entire first chapter hadn't introduced the hero, would you find that troubling as a reader?

Cheers for the help! Hope all of you have had a great holiday season and that publishers are accepting your manuscripts.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
There are always exceptions, of course, but as a rule, yeah, I would be deeply troubled if I hadn't met the protagonist in the first few pages.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
You should definitely have some Point Of View character in the first chapter. Preferably within the first few paragraphs.

But I've read a few novels that start with a short chapter from the villan's or a secondary character's POV to get things rolling. I don't think you should worry about problems there.

Just avoid a chapter one infodump where you explain the 30,000 year History of the Stellar Conglomofederation and you should be fine.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

No, no... it's nothing like that, Steele. There are no info dumps or histories. It's more like an event that needs to happen to a character who gets killed off so it can get pinned on the protag. But it does set up the antagonist(s) and the conspiracy nicely.

I have a workaround... rather a different version that skips all of that and does introduce protag and the soon-to-be-killed right off the bat... but it just feels wrong -- almost forced. Yet I don't want to risk alienating any readers by not introducing the protag nearly immediately. Thus, my dilemma.

Maybe I'm starting in the wrong place...

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Call it a prologue instead of "Chapter 1" and people's expectations will be different. Of course, there are some people who object to prologues, but I say fie on them. Fie!
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I agree with the prologue advice! I will happily wait until after the prologue to meet the protagonist. I will not happily wait until Ch. 2. Clearly this is not rational, but that's how it is, for me.
HSO
Member # 2056

Fie, you say?

I thought about that, Eric. Something I ordinarily wouldn't have a problem with. Except the space of time between possible prologue and protag intro is less than a day. In fact, they happen on the very same night. I tend to think of prologues as being a little more distant than that.

I suppose I'm trying to avoid a flashback thing so early in the story. If I take out the events that happen prior, it might make for a more mysterious intro? Maybe? I'm reaching...

And Beth, I'm actually agreeing with you. I would have trouble dealing with it. In fact, I recently read a book where the main character wasn't introduced for a good while and I was getting a bit anxious to know when he would be. But that was the third book in the series... Even the first book was a little slow to introduce the main...

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 14, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

I think of a prologue as material that is very different than the main body of the story - different in time is a common way. but I think it could also work if it's different in which characters it's about - if the prologue is about the antagonist and the rest of the book follows the protagonist, that could work.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember reading a certain series that has made quite a few millions...and it had an initial chapter that involved the main character, but wasn't really about him.

The last book I read, Polaris, had a nice prolog which set the book up nicely. As long as it is story form, and has relevance to the story it should be fine.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
If you take out the events that happen prior, you may create more of a bond between the reader and whoever is solving your crime (this is a mystery, right?) since they'll be finding things out as the protag does.

However, if you want to create suspense, I say go for the prologue. It'll create a sense of anticipation, no matter how small the amount of time between events.

As for your initial question, I would have patience with the story if the protag were introduced indirectly in the first chapter (i.e. name mentioned somewhere, somehow, even if it's just a thought in the POV char's head). Otherwise, I would stop reading.

Just my thoughts as a reader.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Not a mystery, Keeley, more a cover-up / conspiracy thing. The protag uncovers a larger conspiracy as he tries to prove his innoncence. Standard fare in an unlikely setting -- I hope.

But I appreciate the advice and points made so far. Thanks all. Please feel free to keep the comments coming.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a conspiracy, it doesn't sound like it should be hard to introduce the protag indirectly in the first chapter.

On the other hand, I do think a prologue would work better in creating suspense.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could remember where I got this (maybe OSC, probably paraphrased from Jack M. Bickham's Scene & Structure), but I saved it to a file long ago and went back to it after reading the comments here.
quote:
PROLOGUE - Optional; single scene or two/three scene fragments. Intended only to immediately set the tone (Threat/violence/drama/romance) and hook the reader right up front. Can directly relate to the main story or to the "Back Story;" can be something that occurs moments before the first chapter opens or at some time in the past. Should not exceed four or five manuscript pages in length.

*** ALMOST NEVER FROM THE MAIN CHARACTER'S VIEWPOINT!

Edit: Omitted my point in posting it. So, I would agree with Eric, Beth, and Keeley. I would try to work it into a prologue, if possible.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited January 14, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my take. The novel I'm working on was a bear to try to find a place to begin the story. There was so much good stuff that I really had to just leave out because it was backstory. So, I get the ball rolling like this:

A very short (and I think that's important if you decide to go with this) chapter introduces a boy, (a tertiary or even quaternary character who will NOT have any lasting place in the story) who is hiding in the woods and witnesses the murder of his father. It is from his POV. It introduces the main antagonist with only a few brief lines and very little description, as well as setting the stage for the story's intrigue.

The NEXT chapter will introduce the main protagonist.

I decided NOT to write it as a prologue because a) I needed my prologue to serve a different purpose (to establish some background on two characters who will be the central characters in the bigger picture of what is turning into a three-volume story) and b) the action in this first chapter relates directly to the story and could not be left out without relegating the information contained within it to backstory or to have it told by another character, rather than the much more effective 'witness' of the events scenario.

In my opinion, a prologue should never be information necessary to the story. You should be able to remove the prologue and (if there is one) epilogue and still have a solid story without them.

Anyway, HSO (and by the way, it's good to see you back! Where ya been, anyhow?) if you'd like to take a look at it to see for yourself if you think it might help you out, I'll be glad to send it over.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited January 14, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Vehige
Member # 2284

- posted      Profile for Jeff Vehige           Edit/Delete Post 
The prologue idea is probably your best bet . . . so long as you were planning to introduce your protagonist in Chapter 2 (which would now be your Chapter 1 if you have a prologue).

But there is a way to delay the introduction of your protagonist, so long as you know what you're doing. And that's by having all the other characters talk about the main character. (That's not all they're doing, of course; they're also setting the stage for the main conflict of the novel.) Perhaps the most famous example of this in literature is Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Anna doesn't enter the story until page 80 or so. But Tolstoy knows what he's doing and he's able to keep you interested until she arrives. And besides, it's an 800-page novel written in an omniscient viewpoint.

The other famous novel that does this is Moby Dick, which is a first person narrative and therefore follows slightly different rules.

People often bring Harry Potter into this discussion. I'm not sure it's the best example. It seems to me that Rowling is employing a biographical technique--the same technique that John Irving uses in The World According to Garp--which allows her to "set the stage" of Harry's life. But even with those two novels, the main characters are present and the focal point, if not by the end of Chapter One, at the beginning of Chapter Two.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Vehige (edited January 14, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my opinion, a prologue should never be information necessary to the story.
I agree with this completely. The reason is that lots of people skip prologues, and if it's necessary, they get confused and stop reading. This puts me firmly in the camp of people opposed to prologues (sorry Eric. Fee Foe Fum!), but it isn't because I don't like them or think they're inappropriate (as a reader), it's just because (as a writer) I'm afraid they'll be skipped.

My question, HSO, is how does the reader know that they haven't met the protagonist yet? I mean, even if the POV character gets killed or something, the reader only has to say, "Well, I guess that wasn't the main character," and then they turn the page and start reading about the main character. They've only got about five seconds where they realize that they haven't gotten to the MC yet. It hardly seems that they should get impatient about that.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The first book in Dave Wolverton/David Farland's Runelords series begins with a chapter from the POV of a character who gets killed. Chapter 2 introduces the protagonist. So obviously it can be done that way and sell. I found it a bit surprising, but it didn't prevent me from continuing to read.

However, I seem to recall Dave Wolverton saying that having too many viewpoint characters had been a mistake in that novel, so it may not be a good example to follow.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

People who want to skip prologues have the right to do so, but they do not have the right to complain that they missed information as a result.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i sit firmly in the camp of lovers of a good prologue.

a wasted prologue that has absolutely no use, or is an exact copy of events later in the story that are written there as well, is no good, i HATE finding those.

but a good prologue which introduces things, or shows a greater picture of a much larger story (i try to do this myself whenever i write omniscient) is something i find that i enjoy.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Great stuff, folks.

I think I know how to solve this dilemma now. I realize that all of the events leading up to the character's death doesn't need to told to the reader as they happen. They can be told through the limited dialogue that occurs later with protag when they meet. But I will still write it out and decide later if it's to be cut or prologued or whatever. At least it will be there as background for my personal benefit.

Dakota, I've lurked on occasion... just haven't posted due to not having a lot of time. I'd be happy to see what you've got. Please send.

Thanks for all the replies.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you incorporate the information as a flashback later in the story? As in a detective gathering evidence and piecing the story together.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I love reading or watching a good mystery. When I was younger, there wasn't a Perry Mason novel that was safe from my reading list. I guess because it was a Perry Mason novel, I knew he would should up eventually, but he was seldom in the first chapter. Sometimes it would be a couple of chapters. It never bothered me.

I know you said this wasn't a mystery, but that is a genre that uses the technique, and it can work.

Another novel that I loved that keeps you wondering a little about the main character is Jack London's White Fang. White Fang isn't even born yet when the story begins, and the story goes on for several chapters before he is even introduced. Of course, once he is introduced, his POV takes over for the rest of the novel.

As to prologues, I never used to read them because I didn't know what they were. I just figured they were part of the front matter (like introductions and prefaces). At some point in junior high or high school, I learned differently, and now I always try to read them. (However, I almost didn't read The Lord of the Rings because it took me a couple of weeks to plow through the prologue. I then set the The Fellowship of the Ring aside for two weeks because I didn't feel like forcing myself to read. once I started chapter 1, I was finished within 5 days.)

BTW, glad to see you around again.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'm right, but ... my major character was introduced in Ch 1 of 12 in my WIP, but not in scene 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It just happened that less important characters had stuff going on before he did. I don't think the readers will mind. We'll see.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mekvat
Member # 2271

- posted      Profile for Mekvat   Email Mekvat         Edit/Delete Post 
wbriggs, you have a first chapter with (at least) six scenes? That's a pretty long first chapter, or else they're very short scenes ...
Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.