Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Selling Fantasy Art

Author Topic: Selling Fantasy Art
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone here has sold artwork. A relative of mine is interested in selling some fantasy genre artwork, but she has no idea how to go about it.

Even a nudge in the right direction will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what about trying to sell it to that new ezine that is promoting itself here? They're open to new artwork.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah we are looking for art. WWW.fantasyworldgeographic.com

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Cool. I'll pass the info along.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
In scoping out possible markets for writing, I've noticed that a LOT of magazines--both electronic and print--have submission guidelines for artwork.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest sending queries to editors, that should get enough information to start. I may be mistaken, but most I think most of the artwork is ordered after the stories are selected for publication. Now, the question becomes: should you send a sample page with the query?
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm not an artist, I have been published on this site (http://www.quantummuse.com/) and they always showcase some neat artists.

Here are some examples from their archives: http://www.quantummuse.com/art_archives.html

And here are their submission guidlelines. If you have a website, they will also publish the link with your your artwork.

http://www.quantummuse.com/artwork_submissions.html

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a few really good pieces you might want to try working with a local print shop to have them reproduced and the try your local sc-fi/fantasy convention circuit. Take the pieces there and try selling them for a modest profit, also most have auctions where you can sell the originals.

I have two old friends that started that way (Allen "LA" Williams and Ruth Thompson). They moved on to illustrating for WotC/TSR and some other game companies.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I temporarily abandonded this thread.

I also apologize for leaving out some key information. I hesitated saying anything, but I can see from the replies that I'm sending the wrong message.

The problem is that this relative of mine isn't the one creating the artwork. Her daughter died last year and left behind a collection of drawings (some of which are stunningly beautiful -- I have one on my website). She doesn't want to just throw them out, but she doesn't want to give them away either.

This isn't someone who's starting a career.

Anyway, I told her I'd do some research and see what I could come up with. This post is only part of it.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It might work better to package and publish rather than try to sell to markets. You probably can't sell these as illustrations.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
So she's wanting to "sell" her dead daughters artwork?!?!?

Unless she is really strapped for cash, I'd recommend she offer the pieces to her daughters surviving friends who are far more likely to cherish a reminder of there deceased friend than someone that would buy it.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
For clarification, by "package and publish" I meant would make more sense to create and publish a book of the collected work rather than trying to sell the individual pieces to markets.

The book could be self-published after being submitted to other possible publishers.

I have no particular recommendation for how to dispose of the originals. I would probably keep them rather than giving them away except in special circumstances.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

It's a thought, Survivor. Thanks for the idea.

I really wish I could go into why she wants to do this. I know what she's told me, but I also know things go deeper than that. It's a very complex situation and HuntGod's reaction is part of why I didn't want to say anything to begin with.

You'll just have to trust me when I say she's a good person going through a very difficult time.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.