Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » *sneaks in* Hello everyone.

Author Topic: *sneaks in* Hello everyone.
Quarla
Member # 2307

- posted      Profile for Quarla   Email Quarla         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure where to start or dive into at this point. I'm quite busy iRL between 16 units in school, my job which makes up the days I don't have school, and my fiancé.. but I'm trying to find a nice group of writer people to toss ideas off and get opinions from.

A little intro about me. I'm 22 (yes another one) and I've lived in southern California my whole life. I've been writing well.. I still have my fourth, fifth, and eighth grade young author books--boy are /those/ funny. Writing has always been a part of my life since those early years and it helped that my dad had a lot of scifi and some fantasy books. In eighth grade I read a few of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series and after that started constructing my own world when I grew frustrated with hers. So since then I've done lots of Pern Role Playing and just RPing in general.

I think it was my sophomore year that I began really writing short stories. I don't believe any of them went over 6k or 7k words though. I took a creative writing class during that time too but didn't really get much out of it. Since then I've been putzing around at one of the local junior colleges in the area for the past 4 years. It was only until last fall (03) that I took another creative writing course hoping to get a bit more then I did out of my high school one. Well let me tell you, that class sort of changed my life. Needless to say I went from not knowing what to do to deciding being a Novelist was the thing for me. I'm not sure if my teacher actually expected me to do it, but on Christmas day, this.. er, well last year (04) I finished the rough draft of my novel. *cheers* 150,000 words and in dire need of edits.

It's because of the rough draft completion that I have come here in hope of getting helpful input and impressions on it. It is a fantasy book, the idea might seem a bit cliché if I try to write a brief summary, but I think it has a good story and the characters are pretty realistic. But I might be just a /little/ biased. I don't really want to post chapters up on the forum due to loosing publishing rights and letting just anyone see what I've written. But if anyone is interested in helping with critiques that don't involve grammar fixing, gimme a poke or something. And if anyone has any type of fantasy or scifi novel they're working on, or even a shorter work, I'd love to try and help out and polish my own critiquing skills. I'm just not a grammar editor so don't ask me for that sort of help.

I guess my little intro got a bit long... But I wanted everyone to know about me before I started posting and making an idiot out of myself. *ducks head and scampers back out*

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
No sneaking allowed! Welcome to the forum. Feel free to join in, and critiquing is a really good way of realising where you yourself are making mistakes. It is one thing to look at our own work (towards which we are emotionally biased) and another to try to analyse someone else's.

Anyway, it is good to have you here. And with a little bit of sweat and tears you'll have that novel sitting on the book shelves of many a store. (Don't worry about cliches: any idea can be considered cliched if done poorly. Do it well and people will buy it.)

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mekvat
Member # 2271

- posted      Profile for Mekvat   Email Mekvat         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, and congratulations on finishing the 1st draft. Is it the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning? Anyway, I'm jealous; I've only got about, oh, 100K words to catch up to you.

Still, if you need a reader, you can send me the first three chapters. Plain text in email or Word doc is fine; either way.

eli.evans AT gmail DOT com

I promise I won't be any harder on you than I would be on myself.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, welcome Quarla. Be sure to post the first 13 lines of your work on the Fragments and Feedback board if you would like critiques, etc. Also, as yanos suggested, dive right in and critique other stories that have been posted. One of the best ways to improve your writing is to critique works done by others.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Quarla! Glad to 'see' you.

The Fragments and Feedback foprum is a great place to start. Try to give as much as you receive, by offering to critique. Critiquing is a great way to learn. Taking critiques of your own work with all due humility and an eye for useful advice is even better. It can be hard, but it is well worth it, and it's good practice for being married, should you ever be so inclined.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Dive in and welcome.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to you, too.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and glad to see ya.
Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really want to post chapters up on the forum due to loosing publishing rights and letting just anyone see what I've written.
Since you would only be posting 13 lines (in standard manuscript format, which means Courier 12 pt), you don't have to worry about publishing rights. You'll probably get more response if you do it that way.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArthurCross
Member # 2396

- posted      Profile for ArthurCross   Email ArthurCross         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Quarla. Interesting pick of screen names. If I had to pick an OSC character I probably would have picked Miro. That's just me. It's not that Miro is anything like me, mind you, its just that I can identify with him in some way--with wanting something so badly but not having the ability to accomplish it. In a way, I'm like that. I have this yearning to be a writer but neither the fianical means nor the networking skills needed to get my foot in the door. Also I'm paranoid as hell. Like you, I'm looking for critique and help in any way I can. And like you, I don't want to post my story. I'll probably post the first 13 lines in the forum because the first 13 lines don't really give away much of the story--at least not enough for me to worry about someone stealing it. Any other suggestions you might have as far as gaining advice, help or good critiques that won't make me even more paranoid, would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. By the way, in case you couldn't tell, I'm new here.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
hey welcome both of you! The moderator, Kathleen, actually requests not posting more than 13 lines anywhere here because of electronic rights so you do not need to worry on that account. Fragments and Feedback also has a lot of great and intense posts on why 13 lines is enough anyway to get an idea about a story. I love reading those.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.