Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Okay, I've got to whinge somewhere... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Okay, I've got to whinge somewhere...
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO, you have never offended me. I feel slighted.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the law of averages states it must happen at some point.

HSO, I find this to be offensive. I'm not sure why I find it offensive, but I find it offensive.

Defend your position, please, or I will be even more offended.

Offendedly yours,

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Another proof not to let desperation drive you to self-publish. Unlike you, HSO, I walked open-eyed into buying a self-published book. It was at the last writer's conference I attended and a fellow was selling his book. I had no idea who he was, but I was curious.

I was shocked. Everything that could be wrong with a book was wrong with it, from published format to melodramatic story, from horrendous grammar to the most unbelievable dialogue. I confess I never finished it. According to the back cover, the author has self-published other books as well.

I've been debating about writing to him to say how bad the book really is -- I mean, this guy is spending good money on these books and he did ask for comments -- but then, according to the introduction, he's living his dream. Maybe it'd be cruel to give him a reality check.

But that book sure gave me a negative view of self-published books.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say much about this because if I do I'll launch into a rant.

I will say "thank you" though, HSO and Kolona. Because of your posts, I'm going to think twice before buying someone's book... unless of course I already recognize the publisher/imprint.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Keeley.

Mike: "Offendedly"...? good word. Thanks for being offended. Now that the offended bit is out of the way, I can relax.

Goatboy: sorry that I've slighted you. I hope that will suffice as a substitute for offending you.

Kolona: Eek. Ethical dilemma. I think the person deserves the truth. But who am I to say that? I didn't do it. I didn't lie, either. I simply didn't comment.

On a separate yet related note, my wife has read more of this guy's book than I managed and said that if you can past the writing, the story idea is fairly decent. But good ideas with bad writing simply aren't good stories. I've learned this enough times with my own stories to know this is true.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.