Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Getting to the action

Author Topic: Getting to the action
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that in the Fragments section, my Feedback is usually, "nothing's happening." Somebody is thinking about something that has happened/will happen, or we're getting his/her philosophy of life, or we're getting a physical description of the surroundings. If there's a dragon in the surroundings, or the philosophy of life involves expecting aliens to save my soul, now that's a hook!

But even so, I'd usually like it better if the character's talking the alien ambassador about salvation, or fleeing the village while the dragon sets fire to it, than if it's just somebody thinking about something.

Not a rule, I'm sure, but a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NilzarkK
Member # 2340

- posted      Profile for NilzarkK           Edit/Delete Post 
That seems to be the consensus around here.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
In modern popular fiction, it definitely seems to be the rule (or at least very strong suggestion). Literature is full of books that don't start out with an action hook, though, and they're still great books.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't so much starting off with action, though.

Damon Knight used to say that a story should start when it starts. There shouldn't be a lot of building up to it and there shouldn't be a lot of flashing back.

Start the writing when the story starts happening.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
One basic thing I try to remember is that when my story or play begins, I have to show stasis. I have to show that whatever is happening is how things are meant to be - and the actual story begins with the disruption of that stasis. The character in the story work to return to stasis.

So, in this case, I think your reference about not having "action" in the beginning is fine, so long as the stasis doesn't run overlong and you move quickly when stasis is ... ah... static? <grin>

[This message has been edited by Alynia (edited February 05, 2005).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.