Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » a topic for conventions and conferences (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: a topic for conventions and conferences
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we need a whole area for this, but it would be nice to have somewhere for people to post information about writerly get-togethers.

Maybe it will turn out that we need a separate area.

Let me know what you think?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Life, the Universe, and Everything, Brigham Young University's science fiction and fantasy symposium, will be 17-19 February.

For more information go to

http://ltue.byu.edu

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hildy is going to Boskone.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001679.html

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I'll be attending Life, the Universe, and Everything at BYU.

Survivor, did you know that the creator of SCHLOCK MERCENARY is supposed to be there?

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to know about any converences or conventions in the midwest. It seems so many of them require a flight to New England or Cliafornia. Heck, I'd even take one in a city that's not so gosh darned expensive to fly/stay in, but I'd really love one in the midwest.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in hearing about any, mostly because it seems that there are NONE in Houston.

I'm not sure it would need a separate forum. Why not just expand an underused forum instead? Any convention is an opportunity to look into the market (Markets for our Writing), places to discuss others work (Discussing Published Books and Hooks), a place to learn (Writer's Class), etc.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

There are several in the midwest. At least one in the Chicago area every year, same for Detroit area, and for the St. Louis area.

Tulsa, OK has one called Conestoga.

I'll see if I can find a link to a good list of conventions and post it here. (Unless someone else beats me to it.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

http://www.locusmag.com/Conventions.html
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Here's one for conventions all over the world.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wilf.james/i_conlist.htm

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
APOLLOCON 2005 (Jun 24-26 ’05) Hyatt Regency Houston Airport, Houston TX.

I stand corrected. Thanks Kathleen.

Of course, it doesn't say which airport. There's only 4, and some are 60 miles apart.

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
I live twenty miles south of OKC. We just spent fifty million or so to refurbish a rodeo convention arena.

Writer's conferences, conventions in an area that would spend that much on rodeo? I think not.

Man, I hate this town.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to someplace where I can interest an agent in my work. There's a Maui writer's conference in September IIRC. I sure would love to find something cheap and east-coast.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, since OSC is the Guest of Honor at Boskone, might I hope that you may be attending as well?
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

That would be cool, Hildy, but Boskone is a lot farther away from where I live than it is from where OSC lives.

Maybe someday I'll be able to come to Boskone.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anything coming up (maybe after May) in upstate New York? I've never done any workshops or conventions, and I think it would be fun.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I (as did Kolona) went to the Columbus Writer's Conference last year. Doesn't look like they've updated their website for anything in 2005 yet, but last year it was in August, and most interesting.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to juggle things to make it to LTUE, Kathleen. Saw your name on the list of Prominent Attendees. Hope to see you there.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeraliey, depending where you live in upstate New York you may want to join Vermont League of Writers. It is inexpencive, available to anyone (no matter where you live) and has workshop/meetings four times a year. The workshop/meetings aren't very intense, but I go when there is something of interest. Often the meetings are in a Northern Vermont location like Burlington. Next meeting is in April. There are other more intensive workshops in Vermont, but I haven't see the dates for them for this year yet. Come to think of it there is a Sifi convention in Burlington as well- I don't know anything about it, but maybe someone else here has been to it.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited February 03, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ergoface
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for Ergoface   Email Ergoface         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on going to LTUE this year too. Maybe we should have a Hatrackers get together.
Dave

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone in the DFW area going to be at CONDFW IV?

http://www.condfw.org

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm not likely to make it to LTUE until Friday sometime. I'd love to get a cuppa something other than coffee with some fellow Hatrackers!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Something other than coffee, how very specific.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

How about some rat tea?

First you get a rat. Then you squeeze it. Then...

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Ah, Survivor, you always catch me with my pants down, don't you.

I MEANT something like a nice safe BYU-legal root beer, or milk. Maybe a nice helping of funeral potatoes or Jell-o on the side?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I'll be there, Ergoface and Dakota. I'd love to get together with you (and any other Hatrackers (is that what we are?)), if we can work it out.
Mike C
Member # 2363

- posted      Profile for Mike C   Email Mike C         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one I'm really excited about -

http://www.write-across-europe.com

Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Are you going on it, Mike or are you just logisticizing it?

mm

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I'll be going to CONDFW IV, Brian. Richardson is a ways away, so I won't be there for the whole conference. Just enough to justify spending the money.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 2363

Going on it, promoting it, organising it...

that's www.write-across-europe.com

heh.

Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
I may try to get to LTUE Friday eve or Saturday morning. I've gone in the past but it's been many years ago. I remember it was great fun and very interesting.
It would be a kick to meet some Hatrackers if y'all decide to get together.

Man. Is there really such a dirth of writing workshops in ths country? Thank goodness for Hatrack.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be able to wander my way over to LTUE. And I'm not sure if we are Hatrackers or Rathackers. But we're definatly not Tackharers
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, anyone know of a "good" conference or workshop in any of the states surrounding New Mexico?

It would really be nice to attend a fantasy/sci-ci one, but that might be hoping too much since most things here seem to be southwest style...even the writing. But even a general conference would be useful...maybe Colorado?

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Arizona has LepreCon in May:

http://www.leprecon.org/lep31/

and CopperCon in September:

http://www.coppercon.org

Colorado has MileHiCon in October

http://www.milehicon.org

and there are three in Texas listed at

http://www.locusmag.com/Conventions.html

catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew they had to be there, but I had terrible luck in my own searches. Thank you much!!
Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be on vacation in North Carolina in June. Can anyone recommend anything near Durham or Greensboro between June 10 and the end of the month?
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Robyn, you're going to be too late for ConCarolinas

http://www.secfi.org/concarolinas/

which will be in Charlotte, NC, June 3-5 this year.

That's the only thing in June in North Carolina according to LOCUS.

Mike C
Member # 2363

My buddy and fellow NFG editor, Karen Dionne,

has got this going on:

quote:
The writers' organization I co-founded with another writer last spring, Backspace, is sponsoring a one-day writers' conference in New York this summer on June 2, to coincide with BEA (Book Expo America). I've got an amazing program lined up: literary agent Richard Curtis is our keynote speaker, I've got other agents and editors conducting a workshop and sitting on panels, and we're also having a panel of thriller authors - so far David Morrell (creator of Rambo) has said yes, and Lee Child and Barry Eisler have given me a tentative yes (they still have to check their schedules).

http://www.BackspaceWritersConference.com[/quote]

Mike C
Member # 2363

That link should have been http://www.BackspaceWritersConference.com

Mike C
Member # 2363

The Italian seminar is getting a huge amount of interest!

We have also secured the services of Centro Linguistico Internazionale Sorrento Lingue, one of Italy's premier language schools (recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education). They will be taking care of accommodation, classrooms (in a 16th centuty palazzo), excursions, providing internet access, and generally holding my hand and wiping my nose when necessary.

I will be announcing finalised prices shortly. If anyone's interested who hasn't yet signed up for the newsletter, you'll hear it there first! http://www.write-across-europe.com

With the level of feedback I'm getting (plus the fact that Sorrento Lingue will be mailing details to around 10,000 contacts later this month) I'm expecting the seminar to be oversubscribed.

Don't miss out!

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike C, may I ask what the status of NFG is?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

I have time this summer to go to conferences . . . and my only real interest is in pitching to agents.

The ones I'm planning to go to are Oct, Richmond, VA, and Sep, Columbus, OH. Not summer, and that seems like a shame -- but I haven't found any earlier conferences where you can meet with agents. If anyone knows any, please post.

Y'all have a great time at Boot Camp. Apparently OSC will be teaching writing about an hour from my house next year. Wow!

GZ
Member # 1374

Looks like the speaker schedule is still in process, but the dates for the 2005 Columbus Writers Conference have been posted -- August 26-27. Last year participants had the opportunity to signup for a meeting with an editor or agent.

I didn't do the meeting portion last year, but the rest of the conference was very enjoyable.

Victoria
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for Victoria   Email Victoria         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine asked about conventions in the midwest. Madison, WI has 2 this summer:

1. The Annual Writers Institute July 21-22, 2005. This conference offers 3 writing contests, seminars, and time slots with agents.
http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/lsa/writing/awi/index.html

2. Write by the Lake June 20-24, 2005. This offers a wide array of seminars and small group sessions.
http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/lsa/writing/wbtl.htm#5

-Victoria

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather last minute, but I signed up for the BookExpo America/Writer's Digest Books Writer's Conference in New York on June first. If I had seen this thread earlier, I might have tried to stay an extra day for the Backspace conference Mike C mentioned. Ah well.

Wbriggs, the BookExpo conference may not be in summer, but it has a pitching session. I hope to be in Columbus, too. Maybe GZ will be there again and we can all touch bases.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited May 17, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

Yeah, GZ is thinking she will do the Columbus Conference again this year.

<Makes note to schedule the vacation day>

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in Malibu next week. Any Hatrackers nearby?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Biggest take-aways from the BookExpo America/Writer's Digest Books Writer's Conference? Leave driving in New York to New York drivers. And, if you take a shuttle to or from the airport, give yourself an extra hour or two for the driver to get lost -- which actually negates the first take-away, but there’s no way around it.

One writer/speaker at the conference based his whole presentation on marching to the “invisible hand of art” as opposed to “the invisible hand of the marketplace,” although an agent later clearly disagreed when she advised the opposite, proving -- as I have firmly suspected -- writing really is a crapshoot.

It is also a business, and it was pointed out that agents have their own agendas, namely, to consider their reputations and relationships with editors and publishers. Basically, every writer and work they pitch has a bearing on that, so they’re going to choose their clients and projects carefully.

Writing is also a strange business, in that most books fail. Even most bestsellers fail -- a rather odd thought, I thought, but there is too much product out there and too few readers. The result is a “culture of disappointment” that writers must get past by viewing all aspects of their writing careers as positive, i.e., really really wringing every bit of enjoyment and encouragement from any even marginally positive things that happen.

Nancy Kress spoke on genre fiction, and the genre that she seemed to note most for exceptions to the rules was SF. For instance, the protagonist doesn’t always have to win in SF as opposed to most genre fiction.

I found it interesting when Jon Karp, in listing ‘tenacity' as a necessary trait for a writer didn’t go for the obvious, as in keep sending out those manuscripts, but connected tenacity to ‘rewriting,’ which he further explained as a “combination of inspiration and cold-blooded calculation.”

Peter Almond quoted Saul Bellows as saying that “a writer is a jealous reader.”

The pitch session was too short, or there were simply too many of us conferees. I got to actually pitch only once, although two agents requested material -- one by default. There were a handful of us still waiting for her when the session ended, so she gave us her card and told us to send our material to her and she’d be sure to look at it. She definitely went up in my estimation.

I was particularly pleased with myself because I was pitching with a handicap that afternoon. While sitting at the speaker session before lunch, I reached down beside my chair for my water bottle and threw my back out.

Big-time pain.

And then I had to give up sightseeing to hole up in my hotel room, hardly able to move without serious distress. I still think the flight attendant didn’t believe me the next day when I insisted I couldn’t lift my carry-on into the overhead compartment.

So if you remember nothing else from this, remember that bottled water in New York can be dangerous.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 07, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
WBriggs - there's one in Richmond VA in Oct?
I can't find it on the Locust Listings. Do you have more info on it?

About 6 years ago there was one in Virginia Beach, VA but it was kinda small. I haven't seen anything near me since <sigh> (I live in Portsmouth, VA)
Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

http://www.jrwf.org/conference/index.html !
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Meenie - Check out our discussion of the Annual Conf in Richmond and the monthly workshops there:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001881.html

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.