Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 6th Rewrite Discussion Zone

Author Topic: 6th Rewrite Discussion Zone
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow writers.

Again, I am asking about the future of the Challenge. Are there enough of you interested? Shall I keep it going?

Please, put in your votes. Even if it is, "I've never heard of the Challenge." OR, "It's a complete waste of my time."

For those wanting to participate or find out more information, you can find the latest story, rules and, explanation for the Challenge in Writing Class under, guess what, 6th Rewrite Challenge.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent all this month racking my brain for a good idea for the Jan challenge and failed. You know how it is. Inspiration bites hard or not at all.

I'm still willing to participate, but you have to understand that I can only write a story if it seems worth writing. I don't think we should stop, but we could maybe give two months for each challenge to allow the busy people to get their writing pens out.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Or two challenges per month...
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Yanos, I just couldn't seem to find the right way to tell the story and I wanted to do more than just translate the middle English.

I really appreciate the challenges and find they are a good way to keep writing. It would be nice if there were a few more people participating, but I would still like to see the challenges continue.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here. I have no idea of what this "challenge" is.
 | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always interested in the challenges when they interest me. This one would interest me except that I already feel the best ever rewrite of this has been done.

The end of that rewrite goes "If we built a large, wooden badger."

Yes, it was a British movie, but it was brilliant!

By the way, how was this material chosen? Not that it matters, really. Just curious what sparked it.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
BBC America is (was?) putting on a re-write of Canterbury Tales. As part of the promotion, they had a contest asking for short stories no longer than 2,000 words, no shorter than 1,900, based on either their new version or an original Tale.

We decided to make it January's challenge because, originally, some of us were thinking about entering. But then Survivor explained the legalese surrounding the rights BBC America would control. I think everyone lost interest at that point.

As for how often we should have these, I like the idea of giving us two months instead of one for each challenge. Gives me more time to work on my novel.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Every two months work for everyone? Works for me.

I wonder if HSO wanted to know the origin of the current month's challenge. This is it (kind of a selfish one, but, hey, I'm the one you people volunteered to do this ):

A dream. Yup. I was having a dream one night--not anything particularly exciting or memorable, just a dream--when the name Laocoon popped into my head. This happened three times in the course of the dream for no apparent reason. I knew a little about Laocoon from an Art History class. Anyway, I took it for a sign and, behold, the February Challenge was born.

DANIEL: Go to the main forum menu and click on Writing Class. You'll find the history of the challenge, the rules, and links to the original tale there.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
The every two month idea sounds good.
I love the challenges and have submitted to one. I worked on something for two others but either ran out of steam or missed the deadline. Even when I don't submit, I like reading what other people come up with.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think every two months probably would work better. I found in Nov/Dec I didn't start any earlier, but at least I had more time to do other projects and more time to find a good story to tell.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm glad to see that the challenge is ACTUALLY working for what it was intended, Newsbys. It's not a contest, it's just a way of throwing down a gauntlet to get people writing.

If you don't finish the story before the deadline, big deal. At least you have a story started that could develop into something marketable.

If you run out of steam, big deal. At least you have another story idea in your file of get-back-to-laters.

What I want to know is, how many of our fellow Hatrackers are using the challenge in exactly this way? How many of you are gaining ideas or being encouraged to write by it, even if you never submit anything?

Which is why I am just a little bit reluctant to do it every other month. The more ideas people have available to get themselves writing something, the better, IMO. So maybe going in the opposite direction, and eliminating the deadline, but presenting a new challenge idea weekly? A sort of Challenge Challenge, where Hatrackers offer up a challenge for a story based on, well, whatever.

Of course we'd have to make a rule against fanfic-type stuff. All original. The idea behind the whole Challenge concept is, after all, sparking you to write something that you can actually market.

Also, as of right now, we're getting almost no readers. The only people, it seems, who ask to read the submitted challenge assigments are others who have submitted. (Oh, by the way, Keeley, I've been negligent in asking you to send your latest story over. Please do so.) That being the case, I wonder even more if it is worth it to keep the Challenge in a deadline format rather than an open-ended idea format.

What thinketh ye, oh, denizens of Ye Olde Hatrack River Writer's Workshop?

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited February 03, 2005).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

"If it wasn't for deadlines, nothing would ever get done."

That is a quote off a button I have, and it couldn't be closer to the truth for me.

To expand on what I said above: I like trying for monthly challenges, but every two months would probably fit into my schedule better.

This is especially true in cases where I really like the story I wrote and want to prepare it for submission. If I spend the whole month thinking about the story and submit it at the deadline and then repeat the process, I don't have the time to revise, re-write and otherwise re-work a story before I get going on the next one. The extra time in between would be helpful.

yanos
Member # 1831

Well, I already have a story in mind for this latest one. Once I have a story it does not take long to write. The editing and rewriting process takes much longer which is why I am still not submitting stories. I guess I have a compulsive need to polish and polish.

Anyway I am happy so long as the challenges continues in whatever form. I get some of my best ideas from this forum.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if HSO wanted to know the origin of the current month's challenge

Yes, I did. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Eek! Next time I'll just let Dakota answer the question.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the best of intentions for this one but just never got off the ground. Alas.

But I love challenges. And deadlines are great for me - seems like I never get anything done without a deadine. a 2 month schedule is not nearly enough pressure for me, though- I work better without too muc h time to either procrastinate or overthink - a 1-week challenge cycle is good for me. But clearly the rest of you are more moderate reasonable people than I am, and more power to you.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Since we're getting close to the deadline I thought I'd bump this up.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to contribute a story this month (again). I guess once you let it slip, it's hard to get it back.

I've got a few other projects I'm trying to get done, but maybe next month.

catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont' really understand the concept. I guess I will have to pop over and look at it again. Do you put them in Fragments and Feeback, or where? How does one become a reader?

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

They used to be posted in F&F, but have now moved to the Writing Class. It's a fun exercise to try, and several of the participants have developed some great stories that are making it to market.

To become a reader and check out what everyone else did, look at the Challenge thread and read through the 13-line subs. If any catch your eye, e-mail a request directly to the author.

Make sure to include "Hatrack" in the subject line (avoids spam issues...).

i.e.
Subject: Hatrack: Laocoon re-write

I saw your story for the re-write challenge and would like to read it. Please send it on over :-)

Thanks.

If you'd like to check out this or any of the previous challenges, here's a list:

Sixth: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000025.html

Fifth: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000023.html

Fourth: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000527.html

Third: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000469.html

Second: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000437.html

First: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/000403.html

yanos
Member # 1831

I'm just writing the last scene for mine. It's already longer than 3000 words, but then who's counting? It'll be a pretty rought first draft mind, and my first SF space story. A whole world of firsts.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

WooHoo! It's getting close!

I've just gotten back a bunch of first draft critiques on mine. It should be pretty well ready for Monday.

Hey catnep! Thanks for the interest. Did Robyn_Hood clear things up for you? Let us know if you have any further questions. You, and everyone else are more than welcome to request the stories for reading. I hope to see you writing for the Challenge in the future.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Laocöon in 12 lines:

The Greeks put the Trojan Horse out and leave.
The Trojans rejoice that the Greeks leave.
The Trojans bring the Trojan Horse inside the gates.
Laocöon and his daughter object.
Laocöon throws a spear into the Trojan Horse to show that he objects.
Laocöon says it is a trick.
The citizens of Troy ignore him.
It is a trick.
The Gods are pissed off that Laocoon said it was a trick.
The Gods send dragons to kill Laocöons sons because he said it was a trick.
Laocöon laments.
It was a trick, so the Greeks come back and rape and slaughter everyone.

Moral of the story: Don't have sex with one of the Gods wives.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a possible compromise in mind, let me know if this is a workable notion:

Let's say we post a rewrite challenge in March, deadline in May. What's to stop us posting another challenge in April, deadline in June?

And for those who like more frequent challenges, how about a flashfic challenge each week with a two week deadline?

That also gives us a variety of lengths and topics at any one time, so people don't skip doing challenges altogether because any given topic doesn't inspire them.

Whataya think?

(Also, in case people think it would be hard to organise, I hereby put my money where my mouth is and volunteer to help as needed, whether that be spearheading, whipcracking, or offering moral support to those who are spearing and whipping.)

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is a great idea. And someone could probably talk me into helping with some of the short-deadline stuff, if necessary.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Lord Darkstorm (LDS) is working on a software solution to make a flashfic challenge wasy to do. Kathleen has given me permission to post to Hatrack when I have flashfic challenges up at Liberty Hall. I'm open for some suggestions and some help in managing them, so if you are interested would you drop by http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php and comment?

LDS and I worked together a bit lately to brainstorm how to use php scripting (he si a php genius) to set up some added functionality on a forum to make flashfic challenges work, especially given that some people are many timezones apart. We decided to try and set up a system whereby once a challenge is set up by the chalenge adminsitrator, that an email or other notice goes out, letting people know the challenge signup period and the challenge duration. The participant would go the challenge location and sign in to receive the flashfic topic. At that point a timer would start and the timestamp of the login would be noted. The participant would submit the flash and another timestamp would be noted, with some indication of how close (plus or minus) to the alloted time the participant posted. The posts would be anonymous (2/23/05 Flashfic Post #1, etc). After the sginup period plus the duration are over, a poll would appear asking people to vote on the flashes. After a certain polling period, the posters names would eb revealed.

So, for example, you might register to enter flashes. When a new challenge is issued, you might receive an email that says the signup period is from 00:00 03/01/05 to 23:59 03/01/05, the flash duration is 2 hours, the location is such and such URL, and the polling period is from such to such. So, sometime in that sighnup period you go to the URL, and when you sign in you receive a notice that the clock has started and that the topic is (for example) "red". So, perhaps you're uninspired and choose not to submit. The challenge administrator is notified. Your user statistic is modified and updated. On the other hand, you might submit, but 5 minutes late. It is up to the flash administrator to decide to accept or not, based on your history. If you consistently take 200% of the time, it isn't fair to the others and you might get notified and asked to get closer to the time limit. So, now oyu have submitted and you can now see the challenge board. Someone else submitted earlier than you and you can read their post. After reading everyone's submittals you decide who to vote for in the polls. Ater the polls close, the administrator reveals the names of the submitters (eg, post #1 was mike, post #2 was jane, etc.).

Anyway, that's what we were thinking of.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you happen to read my suggestion before you deleted just about everything on the board? Just wondering. If you're going to get the anonymity feature working, you'd need to use some scripting anyway. But I'm a little worried that this effort will undermine the notion that all of this is basically on the honor system. It doesn't sound very transparent.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
Replying to a few posts back.

Yes, Robyn_Hood cleared things up for me a lot, thanks!

It sounds like a great idea to get thoughts and writing flowing. I am sure I will read in future ones even if I do not write.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Survivor

Yep, I read your suggestions and am looking into it, but have not yet figured out how to implement it. I have asked the guys at phpBB2 for their input as to which file to modify. The notes above are where I would to get to, after the php scripting is complete. The current system on the board is not anonymous, true, but it will work oin the interim. I can also assign interested parties anonymous logins to use for flash challenges.

And I DID back up the entire board before I deleted the Worldbuilding section.

Keeley
Member # 2088

Two things:

First, I'm afraid that even though I have a story worked out for this Challenge, I won't be able to post it because of the second thing.

I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant and the house is in a bit of a chaotic state at the moment. In a good way.

Dakota, I've almost decided which Arabian Nights story I want to suggest for the Challenge. However, I have some concerns regarding how some people might see certain elements of the story. I'm going to send you an email regarding this.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Congratulations! Somethings are far more important than writing !
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding! Congratulations!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my hope was that it would be a fairly simple solution. Things never are, though, are they?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Congratulations Keeley!!!

Dang. My house is in constant chaos and I don't have a good excuse like that! And NO. NO NO NO NO. I won't have an excuse like Keeley's. Not again. NO!

I am awaiting your email regarding the Arabian Nights story.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.