Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Don't know if I should admire her or hate her...

Author Topic: Don't know if I should admire her or hate her...
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, check this link out:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1471249,00.html

This is simply amazing! One half of me is so happy and proud for this person, the other half is sick with envy....

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Admire her. Or you could end up in a story like this.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited February 05, 2005).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whenever I read articles like that one, I think one of two things:

1) Poor kid, where's she gonna go from there?

2) Stop complaining, self, you haven't mailed the novel yet.

I look at all the child actors/stars and see what's become of their family life and ... well... I'm not going to be jealous of that! Besides, it would seem like I was taking candy from a baby. <grin> But it happens to adults too. Like Rowlings. So, to put my sad, sorry ego in check, I remind myself that she is an orange and I am an apple and no way would anything like that ever happen to me, just as no way would anything in my life happen to her. We have different parents, live in different times and she had opportunity knock on her door and she jumped for it. Me? I generally hide when anything knocks on my door.

I gotta put my stuff out there to get published. And face the rejections (which I've gotten good at, actually -THANK YOU TOR!- I'm fine... I'm okay... honest... grumble). And yes, it does seem unfair to me that some people can just waltz into a deal and others never get the fame I think they deserve (knowing more than a few writers who never made a life work out of their passions, but still continue to write...)

I ramble.

Such is my passion.

-a

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch her career with intrest, I think competition is good for the writing comunity. And hey if she does turn into some great novelist, with her early start there is the opportunity for many great works.

But as they say, A thousand monkeys on a thousand typewriters or something like that.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to hear from someone who's read the book. Is she riding on the publicity coattails of that other Dragon Book kid? Is the publisher a vanity publisher or did she make a legitimate sale? Did you see that many of the book sales are to collectors eager to have their first print copy of a novelty?

Hmmm...

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughs exactly, Dakota.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was wondering, Dakota. I can see it...a thirteen-year-old novelist, wow, that might be worth money some day if I can get a signed copy.

It's also makde me very curious. Is it any good? I've been writing since I was nine or ten, making up stories in my head longer than that, and I got to tell you at 13 I was writing at a level I'd call "good for a thirteen-year-old". I still have some of my stuff if I ever fel like looking back.

I'm not saying she can't be good. I mean, there are real-life Doogie Howsers (sp?) out there. But the thing about writing is that it takes more than intelligence, it takes practice, and years of it. Is she good or is she good for a 13-year-old? When she grows up will she be good or great?

Anyway, I would consider picking up one of her books these days just to satisfy my sense of curiosity.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the thing about writing is that it takes more than intelligence, it takes practice, and years of it.

And life experience as well. I've read some stories online by kids who were around 13 and some are really, really good. But every single one falls apart because the author just doesn't have enough experience in life to see things from all sides. The characters close to their own age are written well, but the adults act like cardboard puppets.

Or, even worse, they become overblown monsters.

Anyway, I haven't read this girl's book, so I should probably just keep my mouth shut.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.