Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » White Wolf Novel Contest

Author Topic: White Wolf Novel Contest
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
As Kathleen posted in Markets, White Wolf is holding a contest for a new novel line based on their new World of Darkness RPG.

I have played and been exposed to elements of the Vampire: The Masquerade, but I do not have any knowledge specifically of Vampire: Requiem.

Is anyone here familliar with changes in the White Wolf Vampire World? played Vampire: Requiem?

I'm considering this contest, and if there aren't too many fundamental differences between the two game lines, I might just buy the Vampire: Requiem rule book and see what I can come up with.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
If you've read the Anne Rice vampire novels and the Nancy Collins "Sonja Blue" vampire novels you have all the background you really need.

There is some rudimentary information regarding the vampiric clans and the two opposing vampiric bodies known as the Camarilla and the Sabbat, but you can get that information from lots of sources.

If you want a book that encapsulates there material in a format that would be good as a writing resource look at the Live Action Role Play Vampire books. They tend to be less laden with the mechanics of how something works and focus more on how to interpret the vampiric abilities and struggles in a cinematic or dramatic expression.

I will warn you that I've had issues with White Wolf in the past, so be sure you protect your work.

Ages past when I owned and operated one of the largest comic and game shops in the country (alas those days are gone), my stores were heavilly involved in pushing Vampire product and getting there fledgling LARP game going. Several things that were created by our local groups later showed up almost verbatim in WW products with no credit or acknowledgement. The biggest was probably the Abomination (half werewolf, half vampire) which was part of an ongoing plot we had developed. This creature, with the same name, later figured prominently in several WW products, along with identical background material etc.

It created a rift with my company and between the LARP groups here in Birmingham and WW in Atlanta which never mended.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparrently with Requium, there have been some significant changes to the clan structure and I don't know if the Sabbat is an element any longer.

I have an existing character from a short story I wrote about a year ago who conforms to the Vampire: Masquerade rules but I don't know if she would still work in the Requiem series. If the Sabbat still exists, it would add an extra level to the story I have in mind (especially since my character is a west-coast vampire).

If there are too many differences, even if I buy the Requiem book, I might not have time to familliarize myself with the current setup and prepare a story that would fit the milieu.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.