Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A series of nosey questions Part 1

Author Topic: A series of nosey questions Part 1
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have thought of a series of nosey questions to ask you guys. I won't die if I don't know, but I'd sure like to.

We'll start with and easy one.
1. If you were alone in a house, (day or night), what would frighten you? What would it take to make you fill your britches?

2. Same question only you are alone on a path through the woods at night.

My answers:
1. A noise that doesn't belong there. B. Finding someONE had made the noise.

2. A noise in the underbrush. B. Having the wind blow so hard that I couldn't HEAR the noise in the underbrush.

My fear is of the unknown, once i know what I have to deal with, all the stuffing goes out of it.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
1a. All the lights go out. (Yes, I'm afraid of the dark...of course this would work better at night.)
1b. A window breaking. (day or night)

2a. a light on the path ahead.
2b. a bear.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
Fear of the unknown is THE fear. I used to fear a particular terminal illness until someone I loved contracted it. Now it's not so scary to me. Just very very painful.

So, when I'm home alone, it would have to be just turning out the light and going to bed. It's the quiet. Though when I had a dog, it was when the dog would suddenly run to the back door and growl inexplicably.

For #2 it would have to be seeing another form moving toward me in the dark, a person, an animal, whatever.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
1.a Stepping barefoot on a snake, again.
1.b Stepping on its head
2.a/2.b Same

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
1a. A powercut switching the lights out all of a sudden.
1b. The wind blowing something off of a windowsill upstairs while I'm downstairs and only hear the bang.

2a. Walking along a country lane that goes through the middle of a woods, seeing a set of temporary traffic lights ahead and thinking, 'hmm, now the light's turned green, if there was somebody sitting directly beneath it with an axe I wouldn't see them until after they'd chopped my head off. And the noise of the generator means I probably wouldn't hear any small noises they might make to give themselves away either. . . .'
2b. Three seconds later hearing an owl go: 'Waaaaaah, who who who whoooo!'

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
1a. Hearing something that was utterly inexplicable by rational means
1b. Visual evidence validating 1a.

2a. Suffering a serious and immobilizing medical affliction--pulmonary edema, or getting shot in the chest or torso, or having a severed femoral artery, etc.
2b. 2a, when the scavengers start showing up.

[This message has been edited by J (edited February 10, 2005).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking out from behind your shower curtain and noticing that the bathroom door is open. You know you closed it. You know you're alone and that no one else has a key. Nobody is actually coming into the bathroom, the door is just open.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
GavinLoftin
Member # 1966

- posted      Profile for GavinLoftin   Email GavinLoftin         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Hearing someone walking in the attic when I live alone

2. The sound of a child giggling nearby in the dead of night, in the woods.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
1 A&B
Not being able to positivly identify a sight or sound, especially in the dark. My mind starts to wander, concocting the most bizzare scenarios.

For example, something (most likely clothes) in the corner of a room that begins to look like an aligator. I know it isn't but I can't figure out what it is and it looks like a damned sleeping aligator! Now if that non-algator started hissing or moved suddenly, I'd totally freak out even though the rational side of my brain would telling me how ludacris the whole thing was.

2 A&B
Outside, alone, in the dark doesn't usually bother me unless I'm in unfamilliar surroundings or if there is something gnawing in the back of my mind.

For example, when I was living on an island in B.C. a few years ago, I had a couple of friends and we liked to go for walks down to the ocean to talk and hang out. We went most evenings and had a special spot we liked to go to.

One night my friends had to do something first so I went on ahead without them. It had been raining earlier and the sky was still cloudy so it was a particullarly dark night. I guess I hadn't been clear that I was indeed going on without them and that they should just follow. Normally being alone in the extreme dark, down by the ocean wouldn't have bothered me, except that a few weeks before that there had been rumours of a peeping tom/possible predator running around the island. He had never been caught or identified. As I waited for my friends for more than half an hour (I had expected them within 5-10 minutes) the darkness closed in and I heard every sound and the irrational part of my brain was starting to play nasty tricks on me. My friends finally arrived, but if a stranger had happened by I think I would have freaked out pretty bad.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
How about standing next to a window and having someone's arm come busting through, reaching for me?

In the woods, finding myself between a mother bear and her cub.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see.

1A If I'm home alone that means hubby is out somewhere with the kids. So the most frightening thing that could happen would be for the phone to ring and have a police officer or an ER nurse on the other end of the line.
1B And if she said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to have to tell you this..." Well, that's when I'd fill my britches.

I'll have to think more on #2.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
One really scary sequence was opening to That Hideous Strength by C S Lewis. The woman sees a photo on the morning newspaper, and it reminds her of the nightmare she'd had the night before, about the same man. What made it scarier was she was sure she'd never seen the picture before.

For me, seeing someone in the house watching me would be pretty awful.

Outside at night, how about a throaty growl?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JennyMac
Member # 2328

- posted      Profile for JennyMac   Email JennyMac         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two little girls and my heart has skipped a beat a time or two because a toy with low batteries comes on for no reason. They have one stuffed pumpkin head we call Happy Man that has a recorded child's voice that says, "That's funny" then the kids voice starts laughing while he shakes. His battery got low about a month back and he slowed down and wouldn't stop laughing. I hate that thing.

I've always conjured one of two images when I'm outside at night. The first is an upper torso crawling toward me on the ground, crunching leaves as it gets closer. The second is looking up to see blood soaked sheets wrapping corpses hung from the trees above me.

Which reminds me that I'm out of ketchup .

[This message has been edited by JennyMac (edited February 11, 2005).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
1. If you were alone in a house, (day or night), what would frighten you? What would it take to make you fill your britches?

A stranger in my kid's room. Oh you said alone well finding some one I love or my pet hurt or murdered and secreted into the house without my knowledge. To say goto get popcorn and return to the den to find the body.

Well I have been stalked by both a bear and a cougar and neither were as terrifying as when I found a bloody woman crying in the middle of the path out in the middle of the woods at night. My gut grew cold and I swear she looked like something straight from resident evil! Lurching towards me wailing incomprehensibly!

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Same answer to both questions:

Something to make me doubt my sanity. Something that makes me believe that what I'm seeing, hearing or thinking aren't real.

| Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see....

We'll start with and easy one.

--For the first part, I think there isn't much, though opening your eyes at 3 am to see your toddler's shadowy face two inches from you own can give a person quite a start! As for the second part of that question, I'd say about three bowls of my award winning Chili, chased with a bottle of Dave's Total Insanity hot sause and a good gallon or so of water to wash it all down will probably do the job for just about anybody!

In the woods? I dunno. Maybe a randy elk with that special "look" in his eye as it approaches while I'm stopped over the campfire....

Sorry....long day.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know. Oddly, my experience is that if my physical well-being is on the line, I don't get "scared" as such. Usually I don't even get a significant adrenaline rush until I'm actually injured. So clearly a lot of the things described here just wouldn't affect me much.

Odd and inexplicable things usually make me more curious than scared, like odd noises that I can't identify coming from places that shouldn't be emmiting noise and stuff not the way you left it and so forth.

I'm not particularly prone to startle, though I'm not abnormally insensitive to sudden shocks. So things like those prank shockwave pages (the kind certain people will link) and scary scenes in movies and video games are among my "scariest" experiences. Real pranks too, but it is usually difficult for someone to take me totally by surprise with a feigned attack. You have to be willing to hide in garbage or something like that (not that my family members wouldn't go that far ).

I used to have a pretty normal "dread" response to clearly preternaturally evil things, but I've long since developed certain natural abilities to the point that I can employ them without conscious thought (or with conscious thought, which is nice). And I don't know if dread of preternatural evil is really "fright" as such.

As for filling my britches, diarrhea is probably the literal answer. I'm not sure that rj's recipie would work on me, but I'm not about to try it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
1a. A dog salivating on me while I'm sleeping. b. The realization that I don't have a dog.

2a. A gunshot b. someone saying that the guy in the blue coat saw it. (Considering I'm wearing a blue coat.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that interests me is the commonality in these points. Most seem to center on something that does not fit with expectations -- something out of place. What's interesting about that is that the unexpected is at the center of much, perhaps most, humor. So what determines whether something unexpected is terrifying or funny? Is it the threat of peronal harm, or is it more personality based? I tend more towards Survivor's attitude; curiosity rather than fear. I don't know about him on this, but stage fright is far more likely to affect me than an unusual sound or sight. And if I'm alone in the dark on a path and I hear something strange, my first inclination is to get off the path and stalk it, not run away from it. (There was that time with the rattlesnake, but that was in the daylight, so surely it doesn't count... Besides, as soon as I jumped over it I went back to see up close how big it was.) BTW, sounds like JBSkaggs has led a pretty exciting life -- the only time I ever saw a wildcat in the wild, I was trying to sneak up on it, not the other way around.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Member # 2364

- posted      Profile for Luke           Edit/Delete Post 
1: Loss of electrical power or creepy noises don't really bother me -- although when either of those things happen, I go to investiage. What would really bother me, though, would be anything that sounds like someone needing help. Also, the house falling down (or significantly changing shape) would creep me out too.

2: In the woods? The sound of someone else tripping and falling, followed by their friends searching for them. Maye a a car accident on a nearby road or a light airplane with engine trouble crashing nearby. Real people getting hurt somehow -- without the invincibility and/or melodrama that usually shield fictional characters in these kinds of situations.

I spent a lot of time in the woods when I was a toddler, and there isn't much that's inherently creepy about the woods -- but then again, I may be in the minority, though, since I didn't think that the Blair Witch Project was particularly creepy.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Minister has an interesting point. Most of the things that actually "scare" me are pretty likely to cause me to bust out laughing.

Anxiety is a different matter. I don't think that anxiety really counts as fright, terms like "stagefright" notwithstanding. I could be wrong about that. Some people do really act frightened when put on the spot.

But I'm very sure that the sense of "Aw, $&^%!" that things like major property damage and so forth inspires doesn't count as fear. In a case like that, you're reacting with a sense of disappointment/outrage to something that has just happened. You're not really afraid of anything that's going to happen.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Anxiety- The Raven
Scare- The Sixth Sense

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

1a) I'd be frightened (at least a little) by about anything. I hate empty houses, and even creaking noises bother me slightly. (That darn furnace is the most terrifying thing on earth).
1b) Now, to scare me THAT much would be harder. I think that first the lights would flicker and then go dark. Every window in the house would explode inwards, sending shards of glass everywhere. And then, despite the electricity being off, all TVs and computer monitors turn on, and I see... An eye staring at me. Then I hear singing.... "Daisy, daisy..."

2a) In the woods? Mildly frightened? Maybe by a bear or something, but if I were in bear territory (Alaskan salmon fishing trip or something) but I'd be carrying both my .45 Desert Eagle and my Benelli shotgun.
2b) Now, if I were to run into large numbers of well-armed paramilitary forces, I think I'd be aptly bothered. Either South American mercenary guerillas or cyber-ninjas would do it for me.

| Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am absolutely petrified of the dark but I also tend to agree with Survivor that physical threats become more of a curiosity than a fear, even in the dark.
For example, if I were home alone and heard a strange noise downstairs, I would have to go investigate even though everyone in the theater is screaming at me not to.
But if the lights went out suddenly and I was plunged into complete and utter darkness...it wouldn’t matter what I heard. I would not move. I would be paralyzed with fear. Total darkness has a tangible essence that reaches out and strangles me.
I am like Robyn_Hood in that I have an over-active imagination in the dark and I see and hear things that the logical part of my mind knows could not possibly be real. So actually hearing a real sound, even if I don’t know what made it, is preferable to dark silence.

As for if I was alone in the woods...I think the opposite would hold true here. It is rare that it would be completely dark outside. There is usually moon or stars to cast some light, enough for creepy shadows at least. In this case I would be more afraid of what was lurking in the dark rather than the dark itself.
Ironically, what I would fear lurking in the dark of the woods is different than what I would fear lurking in the dark of a city. In a city I would fear men hiding in shadows. In the woods I would fear the dark side of the supernatural - vampires, werewolves, etc. I am not sure why I would not fear them in the city as well since they could just as likely be there but I've never claimed my fears make sense.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is something funny sometimes and freaky other times? I guess perception and tone have a lot to do with it.

If the event is happening to you, it can be pretty damn scarey. If you're watching it happen to someone else and are safely removed from the effects, it might be funny. I guess that is why some people enjoy perpetrating practical jokes.

How the "fright effect" is executed will affect how your audience responds.

I was frightened and disturbed after watching "Event Horizon" and got a good chilly thrill from watching the American version of "The Ring", but I laughed all the way through "Jeepers Creepers" and found the recent version of "Dawn of the Dead" amusing.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

The Ring got to you? That was one of, if not the crappiest horror movie EVER. And I've seen the remake of The Haunting.

I want more movies like the Sixth Sense and the original Haunting. I'm scared of something behind me vanishing when I turn around. I'm NOT scared of something making obscene phone calls and crawling towards me from a TV as slow as humanly possible.

And it helps if the plot as actually believable. Not that that could help any version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really think The Ring was very scary, but the thing that creeped me about the movie was the imagery of the "video" and the thought of a child who was so twisted they could do those things. But it was not so much the child, but more thinking about what would have to be done to a child for them to act that way. What kind of abuse would make them do those things and dwell on those things. That's the dark stuff. I guess it was that unspoken, and unaddressed element that creeped me.

I think the thing that scares me the most when I'm alone is my own mind. I start imagining "what if I saw something weird right now".
I guess the unnatural or unexplainable scares me more than something like someone breaking into the house. I already have a plan for that, and they would not feel so good afterwards.

Still, I gotta admit, I keep an eye on the door (which must be shut) when I'm in the shower. Psycho related I guess.

When we first moved into this new house, I got a little scared because every time I let my dog in, he would run upstairs and bark at a particular spot on the wall. Of course I was imagining that he saw some specter I couldn't see. In fact it turned out to be some bats in the attic (no literally, real bats). I put up a bat house outside and now they and my dog are happier.

Scared in the woods. That actually happened to me once. I was on this hayride thing, and my sister got a little motion sick, so she got off, I guess to vomit. I didn't notice she had gotten off until a few minutes later, she didn't say anything and I was talking to someone else. When I noticed, I didn't want her to get lost in the dark so I grabbed my flashlight and got off too. I started walking back towards her and because the moon was shining down through the trees and I was walking on uneven ground, when I saw her shadow walking toward me it made a strange illusion, like she was getting closer, really quickly. Almost like a strobe effect. Then I started thinking, what if that's not your sister. Did anyone notice you got off the ride? That scared me a little.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time in my life I recall a movie truly frightening me actually occured well AFTER I had seen the movie.

When I was about ten years old, my father took me to see Twilight Zone the movie. I was cool with everything except the airplane scene. When we got home that night, I had to feed the dog.

The Zeller dog was a massive mammal and as such was always kept on a leash in the backyard (with a clifford sized doghouse and about 100 feet of chain -- not rope, he'd break rope too easily -- to roam on).

We lived in the country, so it was a very dark, long trek from the house to the dog. I was a understandably leary of going out in the dark alone after seeing that movie.

But that's not what really did me in. What really got me was when my father said, "just remember, if a monster drops out of the sky and waves its finger at you, you know you've done something wrong..." Then he laughed and went inside.

Thanks dad.

As for other horror films, I didn't mind The Ring. Not great but not terrible to me. WHat I thought really stunk up the joint was Event Horizon. It was marketed as a Science Fiction tale that promised to be inventive and explorative; instead it just turned out to be a horror film. The ship went to hell and back, yay....

sorry.

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

"The Ring" didn't freak me out, but it did shock me a couple of times. The kind of shock that made me almost smile afterwards. Similar to Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining".

I think the reason "Event Horizon" freaked me out is because I had no idea what it was going to be about. I found it in the Sci-Fi section and had never seen any of the commercials for it. I let myself get engrossed in the sci-fi elements and the next thing I know there is Sam Neill going saddistic.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw Ring or Event Horizon. On the other hand, Misery scared me so badly that I've never watched it again, have never read the book and still turn the channel if Cathy Bates is on.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

I didn't like Event Horizon either. It was advertised as something it was not, namely Sci-Fi.
Survivor
Member # 213

Sure it's Sci-Fi, even if it wasn't SF. Horrible, scary "things from outside our world" are perfectly good Sci-Fi as long as a) they putatively get here by some form of technology and b) there is at least an attempt to deal with them using human technology.

If they come from another universe/dimension/etc., then they are allowed to be totally unlike conventional aliens and immune to a lot of the technology we use, but if they get here using something that is presented as technology and humans try using science/technology on them, it's SF or at least Sci-Fi.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

Oh, maybe that's the problem. I didn't understand that they were victims of beings from another dimension? I thought they just went crazy and started killing each other, in a futuristic haunted house.
I suppose if thier insanity or possession by other beings was caused by the technology, then it could fall into the "look what happens when humans mess with the laws of nature\physics" category.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I would answer this question, except I'm afraid, since this is a public bb, that some crazed person/stalker may take notes and use it against me if I um... displease them, once they make themselves known to me.

You guys talked about Misery too much.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

So Event Horizon was bad because it was categorized as sf, but was really a horror movie.

riiiiight...

That must mean Caves of Steal sucks because it's a mystery, and categorized as sf.

Science Fiction is NOT a genre, people. It's a setting.

Survivor
Member # 213

No, it's a genre. Because the settings are far too diverse. Science Fiction is fiction in which a crucial plot element is an exploration of the potential effects of science (as opposed to already known effects, which would be the usual case with traditional detective stories).

Futurist Utopian literature (such as Star Trek) is defined by setting, just like "Post-Apocalyptic" and "Galactic Empire" stories. But none of these, nor all of them together, even come close to comprising the whole of SF. The only setting that comes close to grabbing a majority share is "Contemporary America". If we could plausibly include all stories that take place in the present day (or very recent past/near future) as being part of the same "setting" (which we can't) that might actually be a majority of all SF stories, but it would be far from representative.

It is true that SF allows a large number of settings not found in many other genres (namely most settings which take place in a speculative future), and the setting of Caves of Steel (as well as that of Event Horizon) falls into this catagory, but that is not quite the same thing.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Fire in the electrics in the roof space. Is this an uncommon fear? BTW I hate curtainless windows at night.

Going in the wrong direction or missing the sidetrack I was supposed to take. BTW I have this thing about tripping, freaks me out, how dark is this path?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 17, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It's because anyone could be out there watching you without you being able to spot them until they were close enough to come right through the @#$%%^@ windows before you could do anything about it. Which is why curtainless windows at night are only scary if you have your lights on.
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

SF is a setting, not a genre. Just like Earth can be a setting. It's a very broad way to describe the setting, but it's a setting nonetheless.

I say this, because a genre tells you what kind of story will take place, and a setting tells you a little bit about how it is going to take place.

Let's take our two previous examples. Caves of Steel is set in a science fiction setting. There are robots, massive cities that would be engineering marvels to us, etc. But these are not what make the story's genre. What makes the genre is what happens in this world. There is a murder, and a detective tries to solve it. That makes the genre a mystery.

In Event Horizon, the setting is also science fiction. It's not exactly the same place as Caves, but if you're using the Earth metaphor, they're on the same continent (the future). It has horrific imagery and is about a group of people being terrorized by evil spirits. This makes the genre horror.

The same combonation goes for Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, although it's on a different continent (possibilities of contemporary science), but it's still a horror story set in a science fiction world.

You can disagree with me all you want, and you can pull out a definition or two, but saying that sci-fi is a setting makes it a lot easier to free oneself of a lot of negative things (such as sticking to conventions, or making assumptions about what a story will be).

catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
1.a
actually my imagination makes me afraid day or night if I am alone. I don't need any real noises or break ins. At day my fear tends to revolve around kidknapping scenarios; at night, more supernatural fears and "peeping toms".

1.b
Being shot by a gun.

2.a
The aloness fed by the creeks and groans of trees and the following "loud" silence.

2.b
If I had worked myself up enough anything jumping out at me-- even if it was just a person playing a joke on me. But since my brothers did this all the time while I was growing up and I never came close to an accident, I think my body is pretty hardened. So maybe it would have to be an animal attack or something I could not cope with physically or rationally.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Event Horizon was a sci-fi horror. It wasn't technology gone bad, though, it was possessed technology, wasn't it? Hated it. It was grotesque and lame all together, in my opinion.

"Lady in White"-- I liked that, though more fun than freaky. "Sixth Sense"-- definitely spooky.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.