Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I was Phished

Author Topic: I was Phished
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't about writing, but...

Just thought I'd let y'all know that there's a group out there sending emails saying one's PayPal account has been flagged because someone tried to access it without permission. The email contains a link that will supposedly take you to a place where you can log in and check your account.

This is a scam. It's called phishing. If you click on the link it will take you to a dummy site that will send your information to identity thieves. PayPal is already aware of the scam and is, last I heard, investigating the problem.

PayPal isn't the only group these thieves are using, however.

If you get an email from a company telling you your account has been flagged, hover over the link in the email. The URL should appear in the bottom, left-hand corner of your browser. If the URL is any different than what you would expect, don't click the link.

These sites, btw, look very realistic and the email itself sounds like what you would expect if that situation were to actually happen.

I know because I've gotten two emails so far in as many days about my PayPal account and I don't have a PayPal account.

Here's a link to a warning thread on a different bb. It's where I first got the information and, since I don't have time right now to look around for more information, this will have to do.

http://ericjohnson.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited February 11, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Anytime a "company" contacts you and asks for confidential information, whether over the phone, through the mail, or over the internet, hang up, shred the letter, or click delete. NEVER EVER provide so much as your name, let along your e-mail address, snail mail address, phone number, social security number, or credit card information.

If you think there is a possibility that an account of yours has been compromised, you contact the company through official channels. You call your credit card company, you visit pay pal directly, or whatever.

I've never even been tempted by these scams, although I get them often enough. It kills me that anyone ever is. I can't fathom that kind of stupidity. This is why I'm not polite to telephone solicitors. I just hang up, no questions, no good-bye, no trying to worm my way off the phone, the instant I realize I don't know them or have any legitimate business with them. I used to have three roommates in college who couldn't believe it when I answered the phone and got a telemarketer. THey said I was rude. I say it was rude of them to call and I'm protecting myself.

NEVER EVER in capital letters!

<steps off her soap box and thanks Keeley for putting it there>

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
We get these a lot. Also keep an eye out for ones claiming to be from Ebay.

Sorry this happened to you, and thanks for drawing others attention to it.

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited February 12, 2005).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.