Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A series of Nosey Questions Part 2.

Author Topic: A series of Nosey Questions Part 2.
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Assume you live in an area where your neighbors are a short distance down the road rather than right across the street.

You are away from home for the evening. It has been stormy, but nothing serious. When you return home about 11pm, you discover your porch light is not on. Had you left it on? Had you not?

You open the door and reach for the light switch, but flicking it doesn't seem to do any good. You search through a drawer and find a flashlight, but the batteries are dead and all of the spares are in the basement.

You have to go into the basement to retrieve the batteries. Maybe you have a match or a lighter. Now, the question: How does it make you feel to climb down into a hole in the ground (the basement)in the dark. Would you do it or would you wait upstairs (again in the dark) for the power to come back on? Or, would you quietly lock the house back up, get in your car and drive to the neighbors?

In my day job I have to go into many houses which are sometimes vacant and distant from other houses. After 30 years, I can still get a creepy feeling from going into the basements. Not always, but sometimes. Can't quite put my finger on why, though. I can also tell you there have been times when I've used option #3 and just run for help.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I saw signs of forced entry, saw that my dog was behaving unusually, or had some other solid reason to think that all was not well, I'd go get the batteries.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would light a candle or two before going down there. If it is my own basement, I would not be freaked. But, I have been in other houses and have been creeped.

My mother was a real estate agent for several years. She always took me with her when she went to view homes and sometimes when she went to show them or have an open house. So I have been in lots of vacants. Normally there was no problem, I was really curious about different houses and exploring them so I was always happy to tag-a-long. There have been a few however which for some reason have creeped me, even on sunny warm days. There is no way I would go into one of those homes at night.
I can only explain it as an intense feeling of unease.
One I remember was a lovely, bright, ranch-style home in the country. But the whole time I was in it, I was afraid to open closed doors or be alone in a room. I kept on feeling like if I opened the closets, I would see something unpleasant. My mother felt the same way. She never showed the home to any clients after our first visit, and dropped the listing.
Another one was recent. The home is really plush, big piece of property and very elegant. It is in the same neighborhood where I grew up. It went on the market about a month ago and I was interested in it, since it has such beautiful property. I had my mother call the agent and we went to see it.
All I can say, is when I entered the front door, I felt so overwhelmingly sad that I wanted to leave right then. We didn't though because we were being polite to the agent showing us the home. The back bedroom was the worst, the carpet had been removed and the bed was mattress-less and propped against the wall. A large desk had been moved into the middle of the room to hide the stained floor. I’ve watched enough CSI to suspect they were blood stains. We left the house and I really didn’t think much more of it, except it was creepy, and to wonder briefly what had happened. My Dad cracked the case. He asked the neighborhood know-it-all, his barber, about it and he said that the man who lived there had committed suicide, and had been found a week later. I don’t know if it is true, but the circumstances fit. No way I would buy that house, not even at half price.

Really didn’t mean to write a novel, but you asked.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with J. The only scary thing about going down the stairs into my basement is the stairs themselves -- I think they started life as a gangway on Noah's ark. (For that reason, I would never keep the batteries in the basement.) And how near neighbors live really isn't an issue; I don't think going to a neighbor's for batteries would even cross my mind if I knew there were some in my house. But then, I have a solid disbelief in most of the creepy things that scare people about the dark/underground, and I don't generally watch horror movies. I've certainly been in some spooky places, but I'm hardly ever worried about physical harm.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go down into the dark basement without a thought. Of course in real life I keep the batteries with the flashlight. I might consider driving to the neighbors to see if their lights are out too.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not I would bother going to the basement would depend on whether or not I really needed the flashlight for some reason. If it's that late at night, I'd probably just go to bed. Otherwise, I'm having real trouble imagining a reason that I'd need to stay up with the power off.

Okay, did it. There's a minor leak or something somewhere that needs to be fixed right away. So sure, I'd go to the basement, no problem. That's the answer unless I'm living somewhere that has a basement full of dangerous things that could kill me if I went down there in the dark, though in that case I wouldn't be keeping batteries down there (and even then, it's still usually the answer--I have okay night senses).

As I mentioned before, I also have some pretty good abilities against "creepy" things. If I were in a house that gave off serious vibes, I would just put up some extra shielding and carry on. Now, if in the process of doing that, I discovered that it really wouldn't be a good idea to go down in the basement or whatever, I wouldn't (at least, I like to think that I've learned a thing or two in that regard). But normally that's more likely to be the case in a situation where "creepyness" isn't involved.

There have been one or two times when I was suprised by something creepy while in a basement or some such, but that doesn't really speak to the question, since if I'd felt the creepyness before going into the basement, I wouldn't have been surprised, would I? As for buying a house that was fairly well haunted, I might or might not. Usually you can remodel a house to get rid of old vibes. On the other hand, if I were buying a house I'd probably want persons other than myself to live there with me, and they might not take to it at all well (vibes or remodeling).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a young kid, basements terrified me silly. Any basement, lit or unlit, creepy or otherwise.

This was a result of two things. First: a horror movie I saw (at far too young an age to understand it, I admit) where a monster lurked in a basement and well, you know.

Second: We lived in an old creepy house; the stairs that led into the basement were exceptionally steep (they'd never meet today's building codes for the acceptable grade of risers). My older brother had fallen down those stairs so often and hurt himself badly one time, that you couldn't get me to go down those steps unless you carried me, kicking and screaming. Our beat up washer and dryer set was located in the basement. When I reached 10, I'd often be asked to do laundry or to retrieve the laundry and bring it up. I did it, reluctantly, and always raced through the task. One time, I accidentally used bleach instead of liquid detergent because I was not paying attention and was more worried about whatever lurked in the dark shadows within the fitfully lit basement.

That said, as an adult, I'm no longer terrified of basements... at all. Lights on or off doesn't matter. The only thing that would concern me would be smacking my head or toe into something unseen. Personal injury gives me the greatest pause for consideration, so I'd probably scramble around for a lighter, match, the light from my palm pilot, whatever, before going down.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 16, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Could leave the headlights on shining toward the basement, so it's not so dark.

To make it scarier, let there be a noise. This happened to me once. The power was out, and it was pitch dark in the stairwell going to my apt, and I thought I heard a noise coming from the stairwell. My solution was to get the camera out of my car, turn on the flash, and take a picture! The flash showed me there was nothing there.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go down, but I would certainly be in a state of heightened awareness.

I once used to stay at a fiancee's parent's house overnight, sleeping on the couch in the living room. For some reason I would routinely wake up terrified of something that I was sure was within the same room, and that was aware of me.

I have never in my life feared the dark, except in that house, in that particular room. I have no real explanation for it, and the only thing that I can say that was unique to that room was that it contained a large number of indian artifacts that had been collected over the years by the older brother (now an archeologist).

Does that mean anything? *shrug* I don't know. I'm typically a skeptic of any claims of paranormal phenomena. Except in this case.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what I'm trying to examine here is that old cliched idea from the 50's horror movies about monsters in the basement. When I watch these movies, I always wonder why the heck anybody visiting a haunted house would be stupid enough to go in the basement.

So, the question arises. Under what circumstances would you be afraid to enter the basement of your house, (or another's house). This is assuming that you do NOT know that there is a monster in the basement.

Would a strange noise make you at least be cautious? An odor? A scary movie you had just watched on TV?

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I see... I think.

Sounds to be wary of:

Someone screaming over the noise of a chainsaw would give me pause.

Any voice I didn't recognize and didn't expect. Hmm... thiking about it: maybe just a male voice. So, if the killer is female, I'm done for. Oh, and if someone says "Get out!" in a deep booming voice. I'm out. No worries. Who am I to argue with that?

The sound of a large, wild animal rustling around... perhaps growling.

The distinct drone of wasps or bees.

Any kind of indeterminate crunching or chewing sound.

Any Michael Jackson song.

Visual / physical cues:

Drops or puddles of blood.

Something sticky along the stairwell walls.

A severed head at the bottom or top of the stairs.... if they didn't keep their head, what would make me think I'm going to keep mine? Not much.

A funny odor -- not unlike the smell of something that has died -- or the lingering smell of gunpowder / chainsaw fuel mixture.

How's that? Better?

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that a lot of HSO's examples fall under "something that makes it absolutely clear that there is a monster in the basement".

For myself, if I have reason to believe that the basement will be flooded with sewage, cockroaches, maggots, diseased rodents (healthy rodents are not a problem) or anything like that, I will be very hesitant to enter even though I know that these things will not do me much harm if I'm reasonably careful. But I would still enter if it seemed really necessary, rather than asking someone else to do it.

Even if I knew there was a monster down there capable of really hurting/killing me, I would enter if the circumstances dictated it. I would, of course, at least try to let someone else know where I was going and why, that's basic doctrine.

On the other hand, I would always be cautious about entering an unfamiliar place in the dark. Dark + unfamiliar + incaution = pain/injury. That's a pretty basic assumption. You can't just blunder around in the dark and not hurt yourself.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Should it disturb me that I agree with Survivor so closely?
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
I think that a lot of HSO's examples fall under "something that makes it absolutely clear that there is a monster in the basement".

Exactly my point. Aside from biohazardous sewage or a plague of disease-ridden rodents, it would take something quite substantial to keep me from entering a basement, so long as I went in with good common sense for self-protection and preservation, wary of the unknown elements and enviroment I'm about to deal with.

However, in the case of truly knowing a monster or something is down there that will / could hurt me, then I opt for nature's greatest survival tactic: There is safety in numbers. Chances are, if I can convince other hapless people to come down with me, then my chances at survival nearly double with each person that comes with me. Get a large enough group and I'm fairly assured of making it out alive... if... my number isn't up that day... but the odds are substantially in my favor rather than going it alone.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 17, 2005).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was in a heightened state of awareness and had reason to suspect something, I might hesitate to go down into the basement.

If someone else had expressed extreme anxiety about something in the basement, and now all of a sudden I have to go down there...I'd be apprehensive. Especially if it isn't my basement or one I'm familliar with.

About the closest experience I can think of, was something that happened a few years ago on a visit to Vancouver.

I was with a friend and her sister and her sister's friend. We were staying at a hotel downtown. The sister and her friend had left something in the car and had to go down to get it. A short while later they came back upstairs in a frenzy. They were convinced there was a dead body wrapped in black garbage bags lying next to a car in the parkade.

My friend and I went to look and while we were skeptical, the other girls were so on edge that it transfer to us a bit. When we got to the "body", our apprehension grew. In a dark corner, deep in the parkade, was a large bundle of something wrapped in garbage bags. Although the reasonable side of my brain said it wasn't a dead person, it sort of looked like it could be a body. My friend joined her sister in freaking out a bit and the task fell to me to look and see what was actually there.

The other girls stood at least a dozen feet away as I inched closer, trying to ignore the pounding of my heart (a much harder task than I'd anticipated). My mind kept racing through "It's probably just..." scenarios, none of which sounded plausible when faced with that human-shaped mass.

Finally I pulled back the edge of the plastic and revealed -- a bag full of toiletries and some clothes; probably a homeless guy's stash.

If I had been alone or with a group that had casually discovered the bag, I probably could have walked right up to it and looked to see the contents. But with 5 or 10 minutes of build up, my heart was racing and my mind was losing its grip on the rational world. I was also with a small group of skittish, small-town, teenaged girls.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a basement but we have a garage on a lower level that we use as a basement rather than a garage. Half of it has been converted to a room for the dogs and the other half is storage with a tiny laundry room in the corner.

If my house was the only one without power, or if it was away from all others so that I couldn't easily tell, and I was silly enough to keep batteries down there then yes, I'd go get them but I'd scared as heck. I'm terrified of the dark - doesn't matter why it's dark.

I would not necessary assume there was a threat to me simply because the power was out but I would still be afraid simply because it was dark. If going into the basement was the only way to get light then I'd do it.

BUT if something scared me and the dogs seemed ok then I'd book it out of there. If the dogs were being hurt then nothing could keep me out of there.

A tip to those who keep batteries in the basement....keep the baseball bat there too at least.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, it's important to give the basement monsters something with which to bash in your head.
HSO
Member # 2056

catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
In reality, though, forget monsters and boogeymen... spiders are enough for me. If I had batteries in the basement it would mean they were old spares stacked in some long forgotten spot that I would not care to reach my hand in to retrieve. I would probably go to bed unless suspicious. If I needed the light, I would call a friend (not the neighbor) over with a lantern to borrow. Their presense, even momentary, would be enough to settle me.

Hmm... but if I had a strong feeling about something, I wouldn't go there alone in the dark. To me, it would be like ignoring common sense to prove no point. Intuition can get mucked up, but I wouldn't hesitate to play it safe and be laughed at later. Yep, I'm a wimp.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eadwacer
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for Eadwacer   Email Eadwacer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, assuming that I really needed the batteries for something, yes, I would go down. The only thing that would stop me is if I had a very specific reason to suspect that it would be dangerous to do so (as Survivor said).

I actually find dark places very comforting and will happily wander around strange areas in absolute darkness

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.