Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is this the right forum? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is this the right forum?
rumi54
Member # 2384

- posted      Profile for rumi54   Email rumi54         Edit/Delete Post 
I had posted something earlier in the wrong forum and not wanting to offend the users of this site I'm asking permission to post it here.
I originally posted an idea about writing in the fragments and feedback forum and was largely told to shutup...is there a proper place for this discussion on this site?

Basically, I wanted to discuss whether online collaboration for novel writing will work? The basic idea is laid out at www.shadowislandproject.com

Let me know if anyone is interested in continuing the discussion.

[This message has been edited by rumi54 (edited February 20, 2005).]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
rumi54

Welcome to Hatrack!

I think you have it right this time.

I haven't ever tried to collaboratively write a novel, but I am currently critiquing one (or pieces of one) for a friend who wrote hers collaboratively.

From what I have seen, their greatest problem was that they chose to use 2 central characters, and have each one write her section from her characters point of view.

Sounds like a good idea, no?

No.

The difference in 'voices' is so jarring that I immediately told her to choose one of them to rewrite everything the other had written.

I'm not saying this would happen to you. I'm just saying that this is what I have seen in this instance, and that you should consider it, if it applies, and then forge ahead.

Is this the kind of discussion you wished to start?

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
It could work. It could even be interesting, but only way I'd read one of those pieces is if the over-arching plot were worked out before hand. Each author could have license with the sub-plots, but the major incidents would have to be fleshed out to everyone before.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

Yea, great...my model is a little different. The novel is written, but the scenes are modularized so that writers can rework specific aspects of a scene. The difference is that these authors can then own a piece of the work. So whereas in this forum people rely on good nature to get their work reviewed, my model is such that if you do a good enough job reviewing the work, you can own a piece of the book. For example, we had one scene that needed more research on the Special Ops, so a person reworked the scene to include cutting edge research into special forces. Anyway, there is more formal description of how it works but I don't want to post a web address.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have forums on your site? I'd like to go there, post a link to this site, and tell everyone how much better our method is than yours.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

Well, I'm not sure you understand. We work in a Yahoo group, so you would join up and could post a message. Here is your method briefly: submission 1 from author 1, critique by author 2, 3,4 and then author 1 critiques submission 2 etc...I'm saying, I submit submission 3, a completed novel, you work your butt off, make suggestions, changes, critiques and you own your work. I didn't post a link to my project, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have collaborated online. Why so hostile? You are relying on people's good nature, my method relies on their selfishness. If you want to post a link to my Yahoo group, then check out at www.shadowislandproject.com and join the Yahoo group. I will let you in and you can argue away.
Beth
Member # 2192

So you agree that it's hostile to go to another site and tell the participants that they're doing it wrong and your way is much better? I'm glad we've found common ground.
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckles* Rumi, your plan is an Ownership Society approach to art. It's art for the sake of profit. Good luck, but I'm going to warn you, selfish people usually write awful fiction.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm beginning to think HSO was right about the spam...

Seriously, I don't want to write someone else's book. I don't want to help someone else write their book except maybe as a wise reader. I definitely don't want someone else writing my book. And I have a feeling that this is a seriously bad scam, and that most of the participants in this process end up getting screwed.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This proposal doesn't interest me. But I can't imagine objecting if someone else wants to do it.

Like Christine, I want control over what I write, and credit for it, and I want to write what interests me.

I think of how tough it is to collaborate on other tasks. Once for a "talent" show I brought together 4 people. We ended up with 4 names for our band, and couldn't resolve it. Fortunately they let me control the lyrics to the song, or we'd have ended up with 4 different sets there too!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

I'm still not being hostile, I'm talking about the difference in models for collaborating. This is a very confusing forum, the only reason I posted the site is so that you could join the group and explain your side. I'm trying to get an idea of how/why feedback in this forum is valuable...Christine you were just complaining about the lack of followup and newbie troubles in your latest post....and concerning your comment....you have clearly never dealt with a major publisher or editor. Your book is your book, until you sign your deal. If you don't mind just stay out of the conversation if you are going to stay negative.

rumi54
Member # 2384

Thanks wbriggs, that good feedback. Selfish people write awful fiction, I challenge you to find a single system that works based on something other than selfishness. Why do you write? Money, fame or both. If you are writing to create, then why do you publish?
Beth
Member # 2192

ahahahahaha!

This is kind of fun, and all, but you know, here's what your posts sound like:

"None of you know anything! You are doing everything wrong, and you are gullible idiots for thinking that anyone will help you voluntarily. I, with my vast knowledge of open source programming, will lead you all into the light! Shut up if you don't agree with me. I am not hostile, you are, why don't you appreciate my brilliance and come write my novel for me?"

Maybe you could post some of your comments here on your site, and get your coauthors to rewrite them for you, so that your words have the effect you intend - unless you intend to come off as a condescending arrogant idiot.

But, you know, you're right, and I should just shut up, because I don't think my particpation here is doing either of us any good. Good luck with your endeavors.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited February 19, 2005).]

Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
Two very successful collaborators I know are a husband/wife team I'll call by a pseudoname, the Smiths. I have been in their writing group and seen them at work. They are amazing. The wife does the majority of the writing but depends on her hub to flesh out details such as make actual drawings of transportation vehiclesk blueprints, and research other details such as herbology lore, mechanical devices, or whatever is required. I know they also discuss and define the story together. While SHE does most of the writing, HE contributes certain sections of writing here and there in his areas of expertise. That way, SHE can develop the characters and He can concentrate on the other stuff. Does this work? YUP. They took first place in the Writers of the Future Contest a few years back.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
rumi asked a while back why we write and attempt to become published if not for fame and money.

i disagree. the main reason i want to write is that i have these stories in me that keep me up when i ought to be sleeping unless i give them active release during my waking hours.

the main reason i want to get them published is that i want to have the world be able to share my joy in my work, i don't really care that it's my work, i care that i helped bring a work of hopefully good art into the world.

the main reason i don't want to do vanity press isn't so much that they don't pay (although that is definitely a negative aspect) but also because, as "Atlanta Nights" showed us, they'll publish anything, including complete garbage. and then no one REALLY buys it, i mean, some people might, but you'll NEVER get anywhere near the same proliferation from a vanity as from a real market.

now, although money is not my central drive in any of the stages of the process, a little extra change that will continue to filter in as long as the book continues to sell... that really ain't so bad a thing to look forward to

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

"Two very successful collaborators I know are a husband/wife team I'll call by a pseudoname, the Smiths."

Cool. I originally thought of this because I collaborated with my best friend on this book. Without even thinking about it, we fell into definite roles. I would push the word count, the story, create the scenes etc...and he would refine and rewrite what I wrote. In the group, people fall into different roles as well. Some people research scenes, some do copy editing, so work specifically on dialogue etc...I would think that writing in a marriage would be tough, because my friend and I almost got into a fistfight over a single word change, he wanted to use cigars...I wanted cigarettes.

rumi54
Member # 2384

"I disagree. the main reason i want to write is that i have these stories in me that keep me up when i ought to be sleeping unless i give them active release during my waking hours"

To be honest, I agree with you. I write with no expectation of ever getting published or making money. There is something to the creation of something out of nothing that I really like. You know what else is pretty cool, getting an artist to create something from your words. Like a character sketch or map or something....it really makes you feel like a creator.

Christine
Member # 1646

quote:
You know what else is pretty cool, getting an artist to create something from your words. Like a character sketch or map or something....it really makes you feel like a creator.

Ahhh...I think you finally helped me to hit on the true source of my annoyance with this model.

Ideas are cheap.

I remember giong to Card's boot camp and doing his thousand ideas approach whereby we started with a character, gave it a gender, and just started calling out ideas that branched and branched. End result: Every student in that class could have come away from the exercise with a different story. There were thousands of them to be had, ripe for the taking.

When I walk down the stree, fall asleep at night, or talk to my friends about things in their lives I come up with ideas. When I read the newspaper I come up with ideas. When I paint my study red (blood red...I like it) I get ideas.

I turn those ideas into a story. I turn that story into words. That is what I do. I am a storyteller.

Why would it make me feel like a creator to have someone else intercept this creation process? Why would it make me feel like a writer if my words are so weak that someone else has to come in and fix them? What good is it to envision a plot that someone else comes in and changes? In fact, this would make me feel miserable that my approach so failed that other people had to come in and create their own models and patches. They were the creators, not me.

So you don't know everything you need to know to be a writer? Your dialogue is weak? Your description? Your knowledge of 13th century military tactics and gear? Hit the books and start learning, I say. My mind is a vacuum just waiting to suck it up and I want to know, I want to create. I want to see the story from infancy to birth and then send it off to college.

Now, before you bit my head off I suggested that you were trying to scam me...to get me to write your book for you with no profit for me. Even if there were profit for me, I wouldn't do it, but I don't know you from Adam and I am distrustful of strangers who come up to me and start suggesting that I spend time, money, or skill on something that has no end in sight.

rumi54
Member # 2384

Thanks Christine, I certainly won't bite your head off. I think you are very well informed and I continue the dialogue because I'm interested in your ideas, not to push an agenda on you. That said, my goal in writing this particular novel was to write something I wanted to read. No one was writing it. I didn't care about getting it published or making money, I just wanted to see this story come to life. At the same time, I've spent over 1000 hours on it, researched prison life, economics, scene locations etc...and now I'm finished, I can't make it any better. So now, in the interest of my goal to see the best story come to life, I've opened it up for critique keeping those parts that people can make better. Can I write prison scenes better than the convict who is writing from his jail cell? No way, I can't get that from a book...you are right though, the best scenario is to do it yourself, in my particular case, I can't.

Thanks for putting up with a newbie, I like this place and if you don't mind I think I will stay. I've already started making some critiques.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't going to put in my opinion, since Chistine did such a wonderful job already.

I made a decision to write because I love to read. I have a good job that pays enough to make me comfortable. If my stories never end up being printed by anything other than my printer I doubt I'll be devistated. But the goal is to see my work in the hands of someone else who will enjoy it. Learning to write is like learning anything else. It takes time and practice. At the moment, I still concider my writing to be inadequate. My words are not as wonderful as I wish them to be. This is fine, it just means I have to work harder to improve them. The more I work at it, the better it will become.

When I read "I can't", that makes me wonder. After the countless hours of listening to my wife talk about accounting, I should be an expert. I know little to nothing about accounting, and it isn't because I can't learn it...I don't want to. There is a big difference between not being able to, and not wanting to. I want to write, so I'm learning. If you want to learn, you can. There are aspects to writing I find quite dull, but I work on those aspects as well. Not because anyone is forcing me, but they are necessary to improve my skills. Does it matter that I'm not an expert after aproaching two years of trying...no, not really. I am expecting it will take a few more years before my writing is good enough to be worth publishing.

Anyone can try and look for shortcuts to bypass the time it takes to learn, but working at it is the only way it will happen. I read Steven King's "On Writing", and he racked up a stack of rejection letters before getting anything published.

I can learn to write because I want to learn. No matter how long it takes. I can't do anything I have already determined I can't do.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post 
The topic of why we write and why we publish what we write seems quite central to this thread. The comment about selfishness being the main motive was thrown out there and then well... I am not sure what happened but it was suddenly taken back. Selfishness seemed to assume that money and fame were key motives. I do not see how this form of writing could solve this even, but let's say it could. What then?

Writing use to be (and still is for most) a terrible way to make money or fame. Most of us are not going to plug out a J.K. Rowling first novel success (I believe Harry Potter was her first, at least). But still we write, and authors in the past still wrote. Why? I think an overlooked element is that often we write to express a piece of our soul and we publish for many reasons, including the hope of connecting with the rest of humanity by sharing something of the individual within. So making a "system" work isn't a given motive or desire.

There is also the idea of making a point. A great number of books do have a point the author is trying to make as I am sure we all know: "Huck Finn", for example, has come up lately in forum discussions and is a clear example-- "Uncle Tom's Cabin", "The Scarlet Letter", "A Tale of Two Cities" to name a few more.

My point? There is a time and place for collabrative storytelling for some, but it could not in my mind revolution writing nor satisfy every writer's muse. It would just be one of many ways, and one in which the souls of the authors are lost. Hopefully this is for the outcome of a good story (not better story, who can guarentee that??). The writers would vanish in the work. Is this always bad? Not if they don't mind, but I would not expect this to be a great take over in writing. Some writing might get better, sure, but would we want to sacrifice individual talent to a commercial form of writing?

Apologies for the ramble.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my thoughts:

I conceive and write a novel. I send it out to a few trusted people and they critique the writing and the idea itself. Someday it gets published, in some part due to those who saw my egregious errors.

What do I do? I thank them in my novel for their love and support. If I make any money at all from the novel, I then offer to take them out to dinner at my expense as gratitude. If I get really rich from the novel (one can dream, can't one?) then I charter a jet and take them out for dinner somewhere exotic.

Nevertheless, those who would critique my story and help me polish it aren't looking for handouts or recognition. They did it because they cared.

Now if someone collaborated on a project with me and wrote whole chapters, whether one or several, you bet we'd have shared name credit on the cover of that book. That is only fair. They did work, I did work. It makes no difference if one person did most and the other did little, or if it was split equally. The point is, the respective authors deserve credit for their work on the cover... not on some silly credit page, regardless if they are paid.

Writing may be a business once you're successful. But few get into it to get rich. And those that do get into to get rich probably won't succeed -- or will give up after their first few rejections.

The idea presented here is an experiment. Nothing more. And my knowledge of human nature and ego tells me it won't sit well with the majority of writers in the world.

Secondly, we have proven -- on this very site -- that more heads involved troubleshooting an idea will likely work. Case in point: Mary Robinette's "First Line" story that got accepted for publishing. She posted here asking for help on poisons. A few dozen people responded and Mary then chose the one that made most sense for her story. Still her story, only she did her research by asking the very, very knowledgeable folks around here. She didn't ask anyone to write that particular scene for her... she didn't need to do that. She wanted to write her story and she needed help with some facts. Not one person asked for credit I bet. Not one.

Why is that?

Because they know already they helped and if that isn't good enough, then they shouldn't be helping people at all. (Besides, Mary thanked everyone in that topic several times over and again when her story was accepted.)

Plain and simple to me. Don't mess with a good thing.

Leave money out of it.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 19, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks wbriggs, that good feedback. Selfish people write awful fiction, I challenge you to find a single system that works based on something other than selfishness. Why do you write? Money, fame or both. If you are writing to create, then why do you publish?

I didn't give you any feedback, rumi, and I didn't say anything about selfish people. However, I now get the point others have made about your hostility. So I'll stop defending you.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
A single system that works based on something other than selfishness? How about Family? Or perhaps friendships? Why not try a group of writers helping each other to get better, even if some of them are light years ahead of the others? Most importantly for you I think is that Collaboration works best when each person is giving up something of themselves for the greater whole.
So yes Rumi stick around there is much to learn, for us all.
and My personal opinion on your group is that you are going to regret it. I belive that it will be a legal quagmire that will mess with you for the rest of your life. I suggest you look up Tracy Hickman's Starsheild trillogy -1. It is set up as a trillogy but his hand's are legally tied in writing the third. It's something he lements to this day.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, and welcome to Hatrack. Sorry I haven't greeted you sooner, but my chances to get over here are sporadic at best, and you're early posts didn't catch my eye. I should have shown up sooner; looks like you could have used a friendly face, early on. Sorry about the rough time you've had. I expect things will be a lot smoother now that you know the ropes.

As to your idea, I frankly don't think it will work on a large scale. While it may work from time to time, in a group with the right leadership and composition, I can't see that combination occurring often. It looks an awful lot like the old Hardy Boys books, in which the original author (pennamed Franklin W. Dixon, I believe) would sketch out the plot, and then pass the book off to another writer to finish. (I know, in your model it would be the writer, not the plotter, whose name would be on the cover.) But as you've probably seen from the responses from folk on this site, most writers aren't going to be happy having the plot dictated to them. And that is what brings me to the crux of the problem. Minor changes in scenes can, and should, cause major changes in plot. Making changes in a scene should cause changes in the way the story plays out -- it should affect other scenes, and ultimately, may affect the conclusion. Without the power to change the plot, a writer feels very little power to change a scene in any substantial way. And unless your lead editor is very careful about the scenes written by different people, the characters and settings won't FEEL right, because they will have been written by people with slightly different conceptions of character motivations and settings. The reader will pick up, subconsciously at least, that a character really shouldn't be thinking or acting the way they are, based on an earlier scene.

Finally, but importantly to your model, self-interest can be an excellent motivator to get people to work together on a project. Your model would make Adam Smith proud, perhaps. But you've got it spread too thin. I think you said elsewhere that you have 50 or so people working on this project. Take the average advance on a novel (about $5,000, I believe), and split it 50 ways. There isn't enough there for the effort of collaboration to have really been worth anyone's time. So writers who are motivated by a desire to express themselves artistically aren't likely to buy into this project because they aren't really in control. And writers who are motivated financially aren't likely to buy into it because there isn't enough potential gain. And there isn't much fame in being one of 50 names on a cover, so those who write for fame will probably pass on it as well (I know, only those voted onto the cover go on -- but that diminishes anyone's chances of being on the cover at all). So while I can see the occasional group with the right leadership, talents, and personalities making this work under the right circumstances, I don't see it being widely successful. You're better off publishing an anthology of short stories around a given theme.

This has been a terribly long post, so my apologies for that. I hope I've been both clear and friendly. Once again, welcome to our group. Whether I approve of your ideas or not, I'm always open to listening to a new one.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

Thanks for all of your responses that was very helpful. To be honest, my original goal for the group to was to explore methods of collaboration for bioinformatics and open source biology. The group has 50 members but only about 5-6 active writers at anytime. You are right I think that it would be easier to just do it myself, but I'm exploring a number of different problems outside of making money publishing. (Which I can guarantee won't work). The motivations for individual writers seems to be inline with individual scientists and I have alot to learn about motivation for these types. The mere mention of money makes certain people cringe. For example, many in this particular forum automatically throw money, greed and selfishness into the negative category. As an economist at heart, I view them as the key words to explore to how to allocate resources that are scarce...all of us have time, effort and talent constraints and the only way we do anything is if the value we receive from acting is more than the value we receive from doing something else. Since this is an active forum, people get 10-12 critiques for doing 1 critique of someone elses. It's a very interesting group of people, very intelligent, respectful and loyal to the group.

Anyway, it was a good discussion I think. Sometimes uniting in the face of an enemy is good for the group.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are a social scientist? So then are we rats in your little maze? Sorry, i'm a little tired at the moment.
But I took a deeper look at your arrangment and I see some things that will cause you greif later:
Firstly, I was able to join this group without verification of a real name. So I could be any Tom, Dick, or Plagurist and could rip off your work and you wouldn't be able to prove I was whithin a hundred miles of your manuscript. You need to know who these people are, so well that you could visit their residence.
Secondly, you need a hardcopy contract that can have physical signatures on. anything else is just silly.
Thirdly,
quote:
5. The Contribeuo Council cannot alter the The Contribeuo Council and Membership Agreement in any way. The Contribeuo Council and Membership Agreement
can only be altered by a unanimous vote of the Founders and a majority vote of the Contribeuo Council.

So in other words the council can't change this unless it wants to? Decide what you want and go with it.
Fourfly, your membership agreement does not have a clause about payment. I know it's written elswhere but if this contract is held up in court then the contributers will be entitled to nothing! That smells of Scam, whether it is or not it smells like it.

HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
For example, many in this particular forum automatically throw money, greed and selfishness into the negative category.

Yeah, we would, because two out of three of those are inherently negative, and the last can be easily associated with both. I'll leave it to you to work out which ones are negative. Let me know if you work it out. I'm doing a social experiment on common sense. So far, I've realized the majority of people on Hatrack have it... but my data is inconclusive. I need your feedback, Rumi.

rumi54
Member # 2384

//Firstly, I was able to join this group without verification of a real name. So I could be any Tom, Dick, or Plagurist and could rip off your work and you wouldn't be able to prove I was whithin a hundred miles of your manuscript. You need to know who these people are, so well that you could visit their residence.//

Actually, I go to great pains to point out that people can and might want to remain anonymous. The idea that I have to be able to show that you came across my manuscript is wrong. Right now, the Founders hold a copyright of the original and all derivative works. Meaning we have a remedy at law if someone takes the manuscript and profits from it. So, if you joined the group, steal the manuscript and get it published, that's great. My remedy is injunctive relief against your use of the manuscript and money damages. Also, the book got published which is great.

This is actually how JK Rowling got parts of the Harry Potter series. She stole it from the original author and now she is being sued. http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=242&article_id=51216&cat_id=1061
I would be probably be entitled to treble damages for fraud on your part.

//Secondly, you need a hardcopy contract that can have physical signatures on. anything else is just silly.//

Oral contracts are perfectly valid unless governed by the statute of frauds. This is not a contract that would be governed by the SOF and as such could be summarized as a clickthrough agreement, much like when you agreed to the terms to join Hatrack.

//Thirdly,
quote:5. The Contribeuo Council cannot alter the The Contribeuo Council and Membership Agreement in any way. The Contribeuo Council and Membership Agreement can only be altered by a unanimous vote of the Founders and a majority vote of the Contribeuo Council.

So in other words the council can't change this unless it wants to? Decide what you want and go with it.//

Not quite, the Founders are the two original authors of the novel. The Contribeuo Council is a democratically elected group of people who oversee the day to day operation of the group. This is exactly how a Board of Directors and Officers work in a C-corporation. If it helps, think of the Membership agreement as the Constitution and the Congress can't change it without 2/3 of the states votes etc...it's a big deal. The normal day to day rules are different. But in the membership agreement sets out a base for rights in the group, we've made it a supermajority model. It's not perfect, but it certainly isn't a scam.

//
Fourfly, your membership agreement does not have a clause about payment. I know it's written elswhere but if this contract is held up in court then the contributers will be entitled to nothing! That smells of Scam, whether it is or not it smells like it.//

You didn't see a clause about payment because you don't understand the concept of a share in a corporate entity. I'm not going to go into it here, but to rebut your idea that is a scam, you should take a look at the clause that transfers full claim to my copyright to the group, such that Contribeuo holders have the same rights a shareholders in corporate stock. It isn't a scam, because a court would hold that your submission would either be a derivative work or you would hold a copyright. A reasonable person, which is the standard, would probably find that I couldn't "scam" the hard work of the contributors in this manner.

If you would like to discuss the legality, I can go into more detail.

HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
A reasonable person, which is the standard, would probably find that I couldn't "scam" the hard work of the contributors in this manner.

Two points:

1. Any reasonable person wouldn't bother with this idea, and therefore would never put themselves at risk at being scammed. It's not a good idea... in fact, it's pretty terrible all around. (But that's just my opinion.)

2. Any reasonable person who came up with this idea would eventually figure out when to cut their losses and move on to another group to try to sell their idea to. "We ain't buying this. Period."

Thank you. Move along.

rumi54
Member # 2384

HSO, I'm assuming the 2 out of 3 that are negative are greed and selfishness. I'm talking in a friendly voice here, no negativity, hopefully that is coming across. Anyway, let's look at the nature of choice here in this forum. Can we assume the following things for our discussion? That you have limited time and within that time you want to achieve the most happiness you can possibly can?

I'm saying simply that people choose to maximize this happiness through any number of decisions. Your decisions are selfish, such that you aren't going to come over and wash my car, because it provides no happiness or utility for you. Now, if you liked me or were friends with me, perhaps washing my car would give you the happiness of feeling good about doing something for someone else. But every decision you make can be characterized as selfish and greedy, in the sense that since you have limited time, you have to rank your choices available to spend your time. And you rank those choices based on the amount of happiness you will receive (this can be long or short term). As such you are greedy and this is good.

My explanation of this group is that it is worth me commenting on 1-2 posts per day, because in the end I get feedback from well-qualified authors about my work. My choice to spend time on this means I get utility/happiness from getting feedback, improving my writing, being in a community etc...which outweighs the cost of working on submitting critiques. It works. that's all I meant by greedy and selfish

HSO
Member # 2056

see previous post in regards to your last post.

Crumbs, dude. Give it up. You made your point. We get it already. If you need to defend it so strongly, it's probably crap.

Offense intended.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited February 19, 2005).]

rumi54
Member # 2384

Proof is in the pudding. Let's have a contest.
500 words story about anything...what do you say HSO? Christine? My group submits a piece to the moderator...you submit your piece to the moderator and people can vote on it here in your forum.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

/me shakes head.

what is this insanity? c'mon folks, liven up!

rumi, i think you won't get anyone to participate in a "contest" against you, it wouldn't serve any purpose.

HSO
Member # 2056

I make it a point not to enter into any contests with spammers. Since I've received word that you are now emailing people on Hatrack unsolicited in an effort to increase traffic on your project's site, you have assured me of your status of "spammer."

If you continue with this emailing business and posting on this board, I will personally report you to your ISP. As you know, the anti-spam laws passed make emails such as yours illegal. I do have your IP address. Please stop immediately and stop bothering the good folk here.

In case you think I'm kidding, here's an email you've been sending out:

quote:
Hello, you don't know me, but name is Will Rosellini and I'm a graduate student working on a joint JD and MS in Computational Molecular Biology. I wanted to introduce myself and a project I'm working on and see if you might be interested in taking a look and offering some comments. Or sending the project page link to the authors in your group.

As part of a law school project, I wanted to explore a way that open source developers could own the end product. My proof of concept is a group using this ownership structure on a fiction novel I wrote but never published. I wanted to join your group to see if we could collaborate. What do you think?

The novel is complete, but right now authors are working on the novel in a Yahoo user group, such that they are rewarded for their contributions towards getting the book published. So, the basic idea is that they submit revisions or additions and if accepted (through a governance model called the Contribeuo Council) the authors get both a writer credit and a share of the end profits. The idea is working pretty well so far, 50 members, but is still in its infancy. Anyway, shoot me an email at willrosellini@hotmail.com or checkout the project page at www.shadowislandproject.com

Thank you for your time,
Will Rosellini

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
While I like to poke at JK Rowing, and Martha Stewart as much as the next guy (or maybe more), I find it a bit odd that you would post an out-of-date web address to back up a claim of intellectual property theft.

Since JK can’t be here to defend herself, I did a little digging on the net. (Actually I just did a yahoo search on “Stouffer” and got 10 pages back). Just to set the record straight, the Stouffer Lawsuit against Rowling was settled almost 3 years ago, with the Judge finding in favor of Rowling. Stouffer was required to pay 50k in fines for fraud. It seems you need to have a little bit more than: “She used the same word I did.”

Here are a couple of websites . I will admit that I didn’t search any farther than this. After looking at 5 pages of websites, I figured I’d done due diligence.

http://www.hogwartswire.com/archives/000296.html

http://www.authorslawyer.com/case/02USDL17531.html

I have to agree with the others here. To create a work of art by committee sounds like a waste of effort by all involved. Perhaps next we could all file past a piano and each punch a key. Maybe we can write an Opera. The only one who benefits is you, who are getting to watch all of the rats run the maze for your school project. Would this project have anything to do with seeing how many people (even educated people active in the field) will fall for something?

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

1: That's like putting a sign on yourself that says kick me then suing them for assault. Sure you win but you were still kicked. A plagurist dosen't take the whole thing and publish as is. they would fix it up change it to almost unnoticableness and then publish it. Unless you proved that they had access to it you would be hard pressed to prove it was nothing more than an accident in this nothing's new world.
2: Oral contracts are worth the paper their printed on. and are only enforcible as long as both people can agree it means what it means which is almost never. Heck even Judge Judy knows that.
3: I see. Just for Clarity I suggest you cut that first line.
4: Fine then, it doesn't have a clause about the dissemination of shares either. And I didn't say it was a scam it smelled like one. Which should suggest to you that you need to do some cleaning.
And just a little more advice before I give up on you compleatly, terms like 'Reasonable person'(intoning that if I don't belive you I'm not resonable) and 'I couldn't Scam'(which is a lie, since everyone has the ability) are hallmarks of a Scam artist.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I've figured it out! Rumi is one of those guys (Brain flatulence! What are they called!?!) who instigates contention on internet forums just for the hell of it. Right?

I KNOW I'm right on this one! Who else would be psycho enough to stick around this long?

And the ONLY way to silence his type is to ignore him...

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Rumi, please stop challenging people to duels. Everyone here is secure in their writing abilities (or should be), and no one feels the need to prove anything.

Obnoxiously and repeatedly broadcasting your own insecurity is seriously not helping your case.

$0.02

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I believe "troll" is the word you're looking for, dakota. But I think rumi is sincere in his desire to get us to write his novel for him, not just looking to stir up reactions.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it certainly needs some work judging from those sample chapters. I would say he needs to get whip cracking on his 50 members. Art by committee, what a strange concept, and if he makes money from this then he is a better businessman than me.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rumi54
Member # 2384

I'm convinced my group of collaborative writers can produce better work than you Dakota, Beth or Yanos...so the challenge still stands...by the way, where can I buy your published novels so that I can compare?
Beth
Member # 2192

Troll.
Christine
Member # 1646

Sigh. You're going ot make me eat my words, aren't you, rumi?

And I tried so had to just end this.

You know, though, I never considered challenging novices to duels to prove my points. I have an intersting theory about black holes and the end of the universe. You know what...I should go to a high school physics class and ask them to disprove it to prove my point!

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited February 22, 2005).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

::Picks up $0.02 to use elsewhere, since they're apparently not doing any good here::

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited February 22, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that he played the "who the hell are you?" card.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

that card is really rather useless in his hands, after all, until he started trolling here we'd never heard of him either.
MichelleAnn
Member # 2375

- posted      Profile for MichelleAnn   Email MichelleAnn         Edit/Delete Post 
Look how long I kept out of this! Y'all might not see any significance in this, but silence is not my natural state.

1. This is either a stupid idea or a self-serving one. In the beginning it seemed like the former, but time has made me lean toward the latter interpretation.

2.(a)Maybe some of the people here are not published, but neither are you as far as I know. And even if you do get published on this, it's not you, it's FrankenAuthor. What will you do with the spare parts?

(b)What if someone that had been published - what if OSC - told you it was a bad idea? Would that make a difference? If it wouldn'tmake a difference than your point becomes moot.

3. At what point are you planning on cutting your losses here?

4. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if he asked all of his woodland wildlife friends to chuck the wood for him?
Michelle

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

he'd chuck all the wood that a woodchuck could!
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited because I just noticed on the other thread that Rumi said he would stop. I see no need to rub his nose in it. It wasn't nasty anyway, and if you missed it, you didn't miss much.

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited February 22, 2005).]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.