Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing Contest

Author Topic: Writing Contest
rumi54
Member # 2384

- posted      Profile for rumi54   Email rumi54         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be my last post on this matter, as I think it is waste of time for most of the readers.

Since most people won't read the final couple of posts in the last section and since HSO has started a new post calling me a spammer, I thought I would reissue the challenge that spawned her personal attack against me. My position is that a group of 10 people can write a better piece than a single author. I challenged HSO to a writing contest held in this forum, with one entry made by my group and the other entry made by HSO, submitted to your moderator and voted on in your group...HSO responded by calling me a spammer and posting my personal information. Notice there is no mention of a product or service in this post, merely an idea, which might be stupid, but seems well-placed in a forum called "Open Discussion".

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I humbly decline this challenge, but thank you for considering me. You win. How could I possibly write better than 10 people combined?

Now that this is settled: Will you go away now?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
You might find that most of the people here have a strong desire to improve their own abilities so that one day they might get something published under thier own name. I've had the unfortunate experience of working with people on a project that was only to create a universe to write in. After the countless times of being told that something I came up with wasn't possible because it conflicted with some concept I had never heard of. Turned out that the concept was part of a conversation that happened between two other people and no one wrote any of it down.

I have given up on most colaberative works, and at most IF I ever decided to do another it would be with only one other person. At the moment I doubt that I would do that any time soon. I can't see chaining my creativity within the bounds of someone else.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not interested in a challenge but I can tell you why the concept of group writing is inherently flawed. The problem lies in continuity, when a piece is written the author usually has a very clear idea of how things are, and will write accordingly. This isn't seen too much with writing partners usually because they discuss it in great detail. When more than two writers get together glaring discontinuities form all over the place.

Ofter engineers (myself included) have to work in teams and submit a single report. This is called "writing by comitee" and often leads to more time editing than is spent actually writing the darn thing. In short, your concept is the bane of my existance .

-Josh

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
The other problem in Group Writing is copyright.

Everyone one in the group owns a piece of the action. Which means: your character, your beloved creation is owned by 10 other people, some of whom will hate you... for no reason.

I swear I never said they were crazy. Only implied. Still... humor is lacking when people go off the wagon. (grin)

Anyway, that's the one reason I don't do group writing any more. Not that any asked my opinion.

But there it is.

-a

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is that it probably won't work. I seriously doubt 10 people could ever agree on anything long enough to write a novel. There would have to be so much compromise that the story would end up being "average".
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
He said 50 people were signed up, with 5 or 6 actively particpating. Must not be going so well, though, or he wouldn't be trying to recruit us.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
This is silly, so you want to have a showdown now. Your ten guys Vs HSO at the OK Corral.
I personally find it interesting that you so dearly want to prove that your way is right. The proof is in the Bookstore.
Also you seem to have signed up our moderator instead of humbly asking SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!
Thank you for ending your posts on the matter, now we can get back to talking about writing.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.