Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Group Writing

Author Topic: Group Writing
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
The other problem in Group Writing is copyright.

Everyone one in the group owns a piece of the action. Which means: your character, your beloved creation is owned by 10 other people, some of whom will hate you... for no reason.

I swear I never said they were crazy. Only implied. Still... humor is lacking when people go off the wagon. (grin)

Anyway, that's the one reason I don't do group writing any more. Not that any asked my opinion.

But there it is.

-a

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I think the most who should ever be involved with a project is 2. and those two have to be very close people. I've tried writing with three other people. (Though only 1 at a time.) Twice it failed horribly and the third try still lies to be panned out.
BTW welcome.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
And, of course, there is the mixing of styles.

A friend and I seriously took the effort for a project and when the second draft was done, I took it to an editor. The editor, unlike the two of use, could point out EXACTLY my contributions versus the co-author.

I guess if we were both famous, it could work. But neither of us are, so we shelved the project and occassionally pull sections out as a short story here and there.

Waste not want not.

Of course, we ALSO have the legal forms filled out that will protect us from one another should a short story go big time.

(grin)

Like that'll happen.

But it's good to be prepared.

-a

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.