Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question on Cell Phones and Batteries

Author Topic: Question on Cell Phones and Batteries
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
In a story I'm working on, one of the characters can't contact another because the battery on her cell phone has run down.

My question, for all those lucky cell phone users out there, is how long does it take for a cell phone's battery to run down while on standby? How long during use? How often do you have to charge your cell phone and for how long?

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends. It depends. It depends.

Seriously, though, it does depend on the battery. There are cheap ones that have to be charged practically all the time and really expensive ones that'll last you a month on standby, at least. Then there are batteries that used to be good and have gone bad.

The truth is for story purposes you can choose just about anything you want because of the wide range of answers to that question. Anything reasonable, I'd say. Most batteries can last on standby for 24 hours, but if they're on their last leg you can have them requiring constant charging. Then you'd want to have your character complain about needing a new battery or new phone or something tho...

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine. I had a phone for over a year with no problems with the battery and then over about a week, it constantly lost it's charge and I had to replace it. I eventually changed phones and the one I have now lasts for about 3 days on standby, but if I use it a lot, I need charge it every night.

[This message has been edited by xarius (edited February 22, 2005).]

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a cell phone and the battery lasts for a week on standby and 3-5 hours of talk time. If I need to talk longer, I can plug in the charger and continue talking.

It also depends on how much I use some of the other functions. I have a camera-phone which takes pictures and 15-second video bits. I have a couple of games. And I can connect to the internet. Making a call and connecting to the internet wear down the battery the fastest, while taking pictures and playing games only moderately affect the battery.

I don't make or receive very many calls so I recharge every 4-5 days and it takes about 90 minutes.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
How long it lasts depends on the quality and condition of the battery, how much charge is in it, and how fast the phone uses it.

Our phones will go about 12 to 20 hours on standby. But, use the phone for 20 or 30 minutes and standby gets cut drastically, sometimes we can't go more than a couple of hours. That's what car chargers were made for.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eadwacer
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for Eadwacer   Email Eadwacer         Edit/Delete Post 
My phone gives me about 3.5 days on standby, and I don't know talking time because I use it so rarely.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
My mobile phone battery is crap! It will last about 2 days max on standby. Use of the phone for anything longer than the time it takes to text my wife "I love you" will drain the battery substantially.

Another thing that may drain the battery is if I put the phone into a pocket and the buttons are pressed continually without my knowledge (until I take the phone out of my pocket and realized I just called the police a few times -- it's 999 in the UK, not 911).

Oh, and I hate mobile phones and only have it because my wife makes me have it.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You need one of those chaps that flips open like an old-school Star Trek communicator. My sister has one that has lost a substantial portion of the casing, so it looks like it's homemade or somthing. This is relevant because the part of the cover that's missing includes the battery pack's cover, so the battery is just held in by fiction with the contact points. While she hasn't had a problem with that, her battery could simply fall out and get lost.

For a while I had a cell-phone that used sorta-normal looking rechargable batteries (they weren't normal, but they looked that way). I went ahead and always had a fully charged back-up set with me all the time. So, as you can see, it isn't just about the battery itself. Depending on the user, any system will vary substantially in practical reliability.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeley, if you're looking for a nice, round, believable number, an average cell-phone battery life would be a couple days. Different factors can make it shorter or longer, but that would be about average.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a factor you can add to drain the battery faster than expected. My cellphone has a good battery, but when I'm underground, like the subway, or in a building with thick walls I have to turn it off otherwise it will drain itself looking for a signal.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. This has really helped me in developing the plot.

quote:
My cellphone has a good battery, but when I'm underground, like the subway, or in a building with thick walls I have to turn it off otherwise it will drain itself looking for a signal.

Would a rural location have the same effect?

HSO
Member # 2056

Yes, it would likely have the same effect if there were absolutely no cell towers around.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but the thing with being in the country is, are you still in your service area or close enough to a tower to get a signal?

When I was cell phone shopping, I found that one company had nice cheap service, but if I left the city, I wouldn't have service. The company I went with has the second best coverage in Alberta. I can go just about anywhere in the province and still have service (unless it's way up past the arctic circle).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I think part of the reason that being underground or in a building with thick walls makes my phone keep searching for service is because it can almost, but not quite, connect. A rural location might not do the same thing, but it would certainly make it impossible for your character to use her phone. I've been in "dead zones" before.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
When I went on my cruise, my battery lasted the entire 7 days, but I only used it 4 times. This is not normal use. In normal use, the newer batteries last about 4-5 days. That has been my experience anyway.

Advice: don't ask one of those phone reps. they will tell you it lasts more than a week. They lie... like salesmen. I should know, I am one, but not the lying type, at least I hope not!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mobile phone battery is crap! It will last about 2 days max on standby. Use of the phone for anything longer than the time it takes to text my wife "I love you" will drain the battery substantially.

Gee, HSO, I thought you lived in London. Doesn't eveybody send all their messages by Owl over there?

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

We've got four cats here in London, two of them smallish. Owls have a particular liking for small cats, I've discovered, while living in Utah (we lost "Reebok" to an owl -- sadly, I saw it happen and couldn't get out to stop it before it was too late.)

Therefore, we prefer modern technology as a means of protecting our beloved pets.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought about it before, but I don't think searching for a signal takes more power than being on standby. Some phones go into a power save mode when they don't find a signal simply because standby would be a waste.

There are two big factors no one has mentioned. The old cell phones had NiCad batteries that were only good for a few hours of standby and less than an hour of talk. The NiCads were relatively fragile and their capacity could be greatly reduced by overcharging. The new phones use Lithium Ion batteries which hold a charge many times longer and are almost immune to overchaging.

The other factor is temperature. Put your character in a cold environment and any chemical battery will produce a lot less power. Make it winter outside and a partially charged phone will have its broadcast range greatly reduced by low voltage. If the character can warm up the battery the phone will work again, but the character might not know this or might not have time to do it.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 2363

- posted      Profile for Mike C   Email Mike C         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming in on the tail end, and most has already been said, but I have something to add.

I have been through 2 dozen or more phones over the last 15 years. Best ever are Nokia. 7110 and 6310i when new will last a month on standby, and even with heavy use I was managing 7-10 days. Eriksons are less good, and flimsy too. Motorola suck.

But worst of all I recently upgraded to a Sharp GX25 flip phone. Sucks like a cuban Transsexual hooker on speed. I charged it 3 times in a week before I threw it away and changed to another Nokia. Battery now lasts a week, whish ain't so good as the older ones, but I guess thats the trade-off for built-in camera, radio, mp3 player etc.

http://www.write-across-europe.com

Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks everyone. All this info has helped me figure what I want to do with my character's cell phone. I've decided to give her a dying battery and have her complain about it. It fits with the tone of the story.

Once again, I really appreciate all the answers I've gotten to this question.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.