Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A series of Nosey Questions -- Part five

Author Topic: A series of Nosey Questions -- Part five
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a fun new tangent. Leaving the scary stuff behind for awhile, lets assume you've made it as a writer. Your novel is published and on the NY Times Best lists.

Now, here's the problem. Your old High School has asked you to speak to the students. But not about writing, oh no. You're not that lucky. You have to stand in the auditorium in front of the whole assembled student body and give them advice on life.

Here's today's question. Summarize one piece of advice (tip, hint, guideline, moral or ethical rule, etc), that you would like to pass on to the students. It can be serious or not, good or bad, but it must be something you would actually say.

Here's mine.

Goatboy's principle of life Numero Uno:
Never take financial advice from someone who's broke, marriage advice from a bachelor, or fashion advice from someone in hot green and fuschia lederhosen.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Never make just the minimum payment.

Sounds like commom sense right? How I wish I had listened.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Avoid arguments with idiots."

Someday, I'll follow my own advice...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
It is better to be dirt poor and happy, than to be a millionaire and miserable. Of course, if you can be a happy millionaire, that's the best!

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no rewards now or after for good behavior, so don't base your behavior on the expectation of a reward.

Good behavior is inherent in all of us, and can be nurtured just as bad behavior can be. However, bad behavior is all learned.

Accountability to the society in which you live is the greatest virtue, while obedience to that society is only of dubious virtue.

Oh wait, that was 3. Well, take your pick, then.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay in school, kids, and don't smoke crack.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite everything you hear from your teachers and the milquetoast culture in which we live, some things are worth fighting over. Find the patch of ground that's worth suffering for, stake your claim there, and never retreat so much as an inch, no matter who is trying to move you.

At the same time, never be too confident in the rightness of your own conclusions.

Learn to do both of those at the same time, and your life may not be happy, but it'll sure as hell have been worth living.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite advice, or rather, my favourite way of understanding life, is a quote from Khalil Gibran:
quote:
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding

Oh yeah, and not smoking crack, that's a good one.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was homeschooled, so speaking at my high school reunion wouldn't be much of a distinction. But if I was asked to speak at the state homeschool convention high school graduation, I would likely say that Jesus Christ is the answer. (I know, that's probably too "religious" for our "milquetoast" [I loved that term!] society; but I believe it to be true, and the most valuable thing I ever learned.)
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike C
Member # 2363

- posted      Profile for Mike C   Email Mike C         Edit/Delete Post 
It would have to be "Don't eat the yellow snow."
Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite quote is this:

"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is."

I think that about sums it up. We live in a society where kids are constantly having it hammered home that all that matters is that you have fun. That's crap. My younger brother has had fun every day of his life and he still lives off of welfare. What matters is that you always strive for the top (or at least, that you always give an honest effort). You know? Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss you'll land among the stars. Aim high. Grab the bull by the horns and fight. Presidents, champions, generals -- these people didn't get there by skirting danger or never losing. Heck, these people have had tons of losses in their lifetimes. But they became great in spite of that, because of their desire to succeed and win. We should embrace competition, revel in it, and fight like h*** to finish on top. THat doesn't just make you better, it makes those around you better.

So when you run for president, lead a brigade, or coach a team in the championship game -- it's NOT okay that you got beat. You'll hate it. You'll figure how to get better so it doesn't happen again. But then you'll move on and forget about it.

So I say hate the losses, but not those who beat you. Despise the setbacks, but not the effort that leads you there. GO ahead and get your hopes up, and if you fall short, so what? Look how much farther you made it than if you had set your sights low.

And if you do make it....

NOW....THAT's worth writing a story about!

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

Okay, on a less serious side, here's on you can give (in best Eric Idol voice):

"Some things in life are bad,
THey can really make you mad.
Other things just make you want to swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's grissle,
Don't grumble
Give a whisle,
And this'll 'elp things turnout for the best.

And...

Always look on the bright side of life..."

sorry....couldn't resist.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Every choice you makes opens new doors for you and closes others. Be sure to make choices that open more doors than they close, choices that will never leaving you regretting that you hadn't chosen differently. Because consequences, good and bad, to our choices are one thing. They pass. You get over them, usually. But regret--that stays with you forever.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right to swing your fist ends where someone else's face begins.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice to people! Anger never gets you anything. Maybe a black eye. Maybe dead. Whoa...maybe I live in to rough a neighberhood.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably wouldn't say anything. I'd refuse the speaking engagement if there was any graceful means of doing it, and arrange to have an emergency that day otherwise.

That applies more particularly to the high school from which I graduated, but it also applies to the small private school I attended for a time, including some highschool. However, in the second case, I think that I would accept an invitation to have an informal discussion with the students interested in writing if the membership were still the same size it was when I was there. But in that case, I would restrict my advice to advice on writing, I wouldn't presume to give them advice on life generally.

If pressed, I might say something along the lines of "Look, you guys are teenagers. That basically means that you're idiots about life. Adults remember being teens (even if they pretend it never happened), so they know this. Some of you are beginning to suspect it about each other. But that means there's just no point in my giving you advice that you don't have the experience to understand." That would require a fair amount of pressing from a student or students being pretty obtuse about the fact that I wasn't there to give them advice about life.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
That's O.K. Mr. Clean. If it's the same neighbourhood you went to high school in, then the advice would still be applicable.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO I belive the whole quote you're going for is "Never argue with idiots, because they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Personally my advice would be,
"Everybody look at your feet. Ask yourself who's feet they are. Then never betray that person."

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure. My earier life was all based upon a series of dares. With some I made good choices, others not so good. I think that is the key. Be daring and make good choices.

Or you could use my older brothers advice: If I ever catch you doing this, I'll kick your ass. That worked until he moved out.

I guess I will merge those ideals into one sentance.
Dare to be great, or I'll kick your ass!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who spend their whole lives counting the cost, will never see more than a fraction of what life is really about.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eadwacer
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for Eadwacer   Email Eadwacer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Be random."

Though I don't have many real regrets yet in life, those that I do are primarily due to me being too cautious and not willing just to go and do something truly crazy and random just because it sounded interesting:

A party with some friends in HS.
International student exchange.
More travelling.
Many things that I can't think of.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to your parents. They know more than you think they do. Do not, under any circumstances, ever take advice from your peers. Their brains fell out about the same time as yours so they'll be no help whatsoever.

Be yourself no matter what everyone else is doing. Don't pretend to be someone you're not for the sake of popularity or any other reason. It is not worth it.

And most important, remember that life does not end after high school. It is just beginning. Don't screw it up before you even start.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got. So do something different. Then another thing. Then another thing, till it works. Even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

Okay, who hit thier survivor button for this thread? I'm still unraveling his comment....

Survivor
Member # 213

All I need now is to figure out how to split guns in half with the power of my mind
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor's post reminded me of that conversation in one of the Star Trek movies where Bones asks Spock to tell him what being dead was like and he said Bones wouldn't understand because he'd never been dead. Bones would have to die to understand Spock's explaination of death.

It also reminded me that high school sucked.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
My brothers claim that this is the greatest contribution of wisdom I ever gave them.

"Where's the blood? If you aren't bleeding then stop crying and try again."

What I meant was stop fake-o crying everytime you stump your toe, bump your knee, etc. They were both such drama queens.

But I guess it could also mean, stop making yourself into a victim, get over it.

Kinda harsh, but they still quote me to this day. In fact one of them threw it back in my face just yesterday. I'm glad he did too. I was being a baby.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Levin
Member # 2399

- posted      Profile for Levin           Edit/Delete Post 
The title of my talk says it all: OLD ADAGES ARE TRUE ADAGES.

By the way, is there another Frank Zappa fan on this board? I'll be sure not to eat the yellow snow.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Remembering when I had dropped out of school and had nowhere, nothing and nobody, my grandfather told me, "You can do anything you want."

Point is you have to want it enough to try just once more every time you fail. Then once more again and again and again.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I like NewsBys' advice, though it's more suited for little kids before they enter school. By the time kids are in high school they either know that or don't, and there's not much you can do about it.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Choose your actions based on their expected consequences, not in response to past occurrences.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
When you fall into a rut, and inevitably you will, take a good long look before climbing out. You'll know where not to step next time.
Oh, and always climb out.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

It's almost the same advice that Dr. Phil uses to make millions off adults.

Survivor
Member # 213

I guess that means we know it's worth something (unlike my advice, or lack of same).
NewsBys
Member # 1950

I think the last paragraph of your "non advice" was valuable.
I laughed because it's exactly how I feel sometimes when I teach the youth group at church.

teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
TANSTAAFL

"I wrestled with reality for thirty-five years, doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.