Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Babalu

Author Topic: Babalu
MichelleAnn
Member # 2375

- posted      Profile for MichelleAnn   Email MichelleAnn         Edit/Delete Post 
The story I'm working on right now has many references to I Love Lucy. Are there any issues with mentioning the show by name? As the story stands, I never do, but anyone would know it was the show I was referring to - are there any legal issues?

Basically the references are based on it being the protagonist's favorite show, her resemblance to Lucille Ball (not mentioned by name), and her tendency to get into Lucy-esque mischief.
Michelle

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Card talks about something simillar to this in "Uncle Orson's Writing Class".

Topic: Copyright
http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/2004-04-01-2.shtml

You might also like to check out his comments on plagiarism and influence.
http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1999-12-20.shtml

I think you are probably safer to come right out and say what you mean. If you are going out of your way to avoid saying anything direct about Lucille Ball or the "I love Lucy" show, it can get awkward and convoluted and annoying for your readers (i.e. "Why doesn't she just say...).

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleAnn
Member # 2375

- posted      Profile for MichelleAnn   Email MichelleAnn         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it will be fine but I just wanted to make sure. I am in no way doing anything beyond referring to the show and the references are flattering.
Michelle

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like it falls under the "living in a society which has been deeply influenced by..."; like the Harry Potter example that Card gives.

Best of luck.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleAnn
Member # 2375

Thank you, I'm very enthusiastic about this one!
Michelle

[This message has been edited by MichelleAnn (edited February 24, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.