Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writers Fighting Computers

Author Topic: Writers Fighting Computers
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone who uses the most common operating system eventually gets frustrated with it. Sometimes the frustration gets so intense that we writers are willing to tackle the intricacies of operating systems and partitioning in order to find an alternative.

I have set myself up an alternative and if you wish to see how it is done, then go here:
http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php

I partitioned the hard drive on my laptop and installed Linux. I now have a dual-boot system; one operating system (OS) for work and the other for play. The 'play' OS will still be running years from now when the work OS is no longer useful.

The instructions are not yet complete, but there is enough there to get you started. Once I get it complete (in the next few days) I will require you to register with the forum in order to view it. This is to protect the forum from people who want to rant about their favorite operating system. You must be registered to obtain a license to rant!

Hope this is helpful,

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you! I have been wanting to convert to Linux for ages and have been scared of the hassle. Your instructions make it look really manageable.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever build another computer from scratch (and this is probably a given, I can't just keep inheriting virtually new computers forever) I'll definitely install Linux. For now, I don't really have a problem just using the preinstalled software, since "my" Compaq has several bits of propriatory hardware that aren't well supported by Linux. During the time that the preinstalled OS was deleted I used Mandrake Linux and liked it a lot, despite the lack of sound or my Windows specific games. But right now my geekiness is oriented in different directions.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Changing OSes to make word processing easier is like using a sledgehammer to clean fine china.

I'm not saying Linux isn't cool. I just don't see the benefit in changing over for writing. I mean what could the alternate writing apps possibly do that would make learning a new OS worthwhile?

Don't let me discourage you though. Have a good time!

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
SteeleGregory

LOL You cannot write if the machine crashes every half hour!

The intent is to have a stable platform to work on. If I intended to improve the word processing experience, I would use Word Perfect, which I also do.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

My installation notes are complete. Go to the URL at the top of this thread if you wish to see them.
Eadwacer
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for Eadwacer   Email Eadwacer         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! I use Gentoo!

Well, OK, I use XP Pro (with OOo) for my wordprocessing, but my writing has switched to paper and fountain pens for the first draft and computer only for the later work. The Gentoo isn't used for writing.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Seriously, if you don't have a good preinstall of Windows that works right out of the box, then it isn't worth the hassle compared to Linux. I remember the times when I would install Windows on a computer myself, it took all day and four times out of five you'd have to do it again because of something or other.

Installing Linux takes 15 minutes to an hour (real time, not pretend time), you want to do it again because it was actually fun, but you start playing around with all the cool stuff you can install or the geeky bits or the compiler or even just some basic apps, and you love it.

Also, Linux systems really are stable compared to Windows. The kind of minor hardware glitches that will cause Windows to crash on startup after startup while you frantically fiddle simply do not bother Linux at all.

That said, if you've got a working preinstall of Windows, then why bother? Linux is more for the scratch-built/barebones-up system type of person.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Or for people who are into roadkill. Here's how to install Linux on a dead badger:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

Luke
Member # 2364

- posted      Profile for Luke           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I read Hatrack to get AWAY from these kind of discussions! :-)
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very funny.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Okay, I'm busted. The REAL reason I installed Linux on my computer was so I could start this thread and eventually work around to showing that a Linux install could be published by a fantasy webzine.

It was a bet.

And I WON!!

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
We tried to install Linux once. It doesn't seem to be as robust as you people are claiming.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
depends on the distro. if you want robust, you should definitely keep away from gentoo. Red Hat is good if you stay about 1 release behind for stability, although i would never choose to use it myself.

i'm sure there are others to stay away from, and others to go with, but one other i can think of is Debian. that distro hasn't been kept updated and isn't worth trying to run anymore.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The voodoo install on a dead badger story has been there for quite a while, though. So it was a sucker bet. It's no fair to bet someone that something could be done when it's already been done unless the bet is whether it has already been done.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Well, yeah. It was a sucker bet. But I only bet him a cup of coffee.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.