Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Melodrama

Author Topic: Melodrama
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
According to dictionary.com melodramatic is "Exaggeratedly emotional or sentimental" and "Characterized by false pathos and sentiment".

Of course, the rule of thumb is that the reader must get to know and care about the character before intense emotions are shown.

Sometimes events in themselves have been characterized this way, sometimes interesting events. Like in Characters and Viewpoint [I don't have the book with me so I am going by imperfect memory], when OSC has the idea session with the elementary students (what happens, and with what result). A student suggest fire. He says, too melodramatic. But then I thought to myself, I want to read about a fire.

I want to read about extraordinary events. And of course, characters will react to these. If the character reacts cold and distant, then that is flagged also.

I guess in American culture there is a male predisposition away from emotion. (The predisposition seems to be away from caring or doing about anyone in need but that's another story). As a male, I wouldn't go see a movie that revolves around emotions and dealing with emotions. I'm more interesting in seeing interesting happenings but I don't exept characters to act like Stoics.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited February 28, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Stoics can be very interesting, especially when they realize how empy their lives are and commit suicide. Though you have caused me to realize that my second chapter should be first and my first chapter should be second.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing about melodrama is that it is one of the most subjective no-no's in writing. You may agree or disagree with me that your use of a flashback early in a story is a bad thing to do, but we can both usually agree that there is a flashback. With melodrama, it just isn't that simple.

Melodrama is characterized, in my mind, by those devastating events that happen just for the sake of eliciting tears. Let me use, as an example, the movie "Pay it FOrward."

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
At the end of the movie, the little boy dies. Why did he die? What was it for? What purpose, other than making the audience cry, did it serve? The movie's message for me remained the same without that ending and it would have been just as good. In fact, that method of ending the movie cheapend the whole story for me. Others may disagree, but then that's why melodrama is so subjective.
END SPOILER ALERT

Sometimes the melodrama isn't in the events it's in the presenation of them events. A car accident can be dramatic. One of my favorite series, "The Dead Zone," had an episode in which the main character (who can see the future) tries to save a woman from dying in a drunk driving accident. But every time he tries to change it he keeps seeing alternate futures that are even worse, including the drunk driver (who didn't learn his lesson by killing the woman) running into and killing a school bus full of elementary school kids. I flagged it for melodrama. To make the point, it went above and beyond. It wasn't just anyone, it was <twist heart> a schoolbus <twist heart> packed <twist heart> full of innocent children. <gag>

Melodrama takes it one step too far in trying to get the motional edge. It's too much. More than is necessary.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the series or the episode that your referencing. But that sounds interesting to me. If he saves the woman, the drunk driver will hit a school bus. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Yep. I would tend to agree that events just for the sake of emotion might not be for the best. But I wonder if the writer thinks, 'I am writing this just for emotion's sake and not for a valid reason.'

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited February 28, 2005).]

Eadwacer
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for Eadwacer   Email Eadwacer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stoics can be very interesting, especially when they realize how empy their lives are and commit suicide.

Oh, now that's just harsh.

Looking around at my friends (and my mirror) I see many different flavors of stoicism. There are some who don't let anything effect them, there are some who simply don't show any emotions (though they may feel them).

My varient has me hide my emotions unless I'm surrounded by people I trust (and even then they are muted). This doesn't mean that I don't feel emotions. I just prefer to keep them private. If an emergency happens (which does happen in my life), my emotions are not only hidden, but suppressed internally so that I can deal with the issue with more logic and the emotions only return after the situation is under control.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Okay, but how they women and children were inside Helm's Deep in the (obviously) movie version of The Two Towers. That, to me, was melodrama. To those who were fans primarily of the books, having Aragorn fall off the cliff probably seemed melodramatic. For me it wasn't so much, because I hadn't read the book first, and also Viggo Mortensen isn't all cute and innocent.

P.S. "Oh, now that's just harsh. "
But it really happened...

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited February 28, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

No, that didn't come across as melodramatic to me.

You see, it's so subjective. How much is necessary? How much is too much? No two people can even agree on whether or not a thing is melodramatic let alone whether or not it is bad to do.

Frankly you don't want to do the bare minimum necessary to elicit an emotional response all the time. sometimes you want that sense of awe, but let me give you another example...

ER. The series. I used to watch it. I stopped. Why? It was too much. They started getting melodramatic and then they had to keep outdoing themselves. Their commercials were all something like, "You won't believe what happens next...!" But I didn't *care* anymore.

That's the true danger of melodrama. Well, that and putting off people by the original events. You see, drama doesn't happen in a vacuum. It happens after something and before something else...putting something comedic just before a dramatic incident makes for a greater impact. There are other ways, too, such as generating true sympathy for a character.

Melodrama bypasses these means to get you in the "you won't even be able to believe what happens next!" Maybe the school bus isn't melodramatic for some people (although it's difficult to describe exactly why it was problematic for me...it didn't happen in a vacuum either), but somehow it felt forced, contrived, overly coincidental and for no better reason than to pull at my hearstrings.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I've felt guilty in times past when I knew I should feel something but didn't. But then I think its a biochemical thing related to testosterone, so maybe I shouldn't feel too bad about it.
franc li
Member # 3850

The apple cheeked babies in Helm's deep didn't seem melodramatic to you? Well, I am sort of unsympathetic for a woman.

Ead, I think there is a difference between being private and stoic.

Now getting back to the example of the fire, it would depend on the fire. If the story revolved in some way around fire, like a main character is a pyro or firefighter, then it is less likely to be melodramatic. Or if the story is about a kid in a neighborhood making observations on the world around him and the fire is the most exciting thing that ever happened, that could work. It's not that fire is just a literary no-no, it's that melodrama is a balance of relevance and impact. Something can have huge impact, but if it's not relevant, it detracts from the story.

Another device I dislike is the "lost child" device. I've seen several pretty good movies where people are exploring their interpersonal angst or whatever but a child runs away and so everyone has to set aside their differences to find the kid. It works in "Cheaper by the Dozen" because the whole movie is about kids. But where the story seems to be about adults, it is a cheap trick.

P.S. Re: testosterone- a lot of melodramatic things are "hooks" for women. Men get hooked by car chases and technological gadgets. sure there is crossover, but it tends to be the case.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited February 28, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

The problem with Helm's Deep..the reason it didn't move me...was it's total lack of relation to reality. I missed it in the book, somehow, though I know it had the same problem:

When you are in a keep with no back way out, surrounded by hords of ugly monster that outnumber you 50 to 1 (or something like that) there isn't a man, woman, or child above the age of 9 who's sitting back in a cave and crying. The 9-year-olds are minding the babies while EVERYONE else has a stick, a club, a vase, or whatever they can find to defend their lives. They haven't goa nything else to lose.

Anyway, back to melodrama..franc, I think that was a good explanation of the difference. Fires happen and they can be used, for example, but if the fire doesn't have some greater point or significane than to make the heroes work together or to kill someone and therefore everyone realizes the true importance of blah...then it's a cheap literary device.

franc li
Member # 3850

There weren't any women or children at Helm's deep in the book, and there wasn't the desperate numeric disproportion, not to mention no elf reinforcements. Oh, and no torch relay deally. Though I did think the battle was well done. But the cutshots to the chubby babies hidden in the back shattered my suspension of disbelief.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the shots of the apple cheeked babies and so forth were a cheap trick, and not just because they weren't in the book.

They're a cheap trick because the warriors fighting the battle can't see them there, they can only imagine them. Therefore, for us to experience the battle, we should only imagine them as well.

It's like being a theatrical villain. In melodrama, you use all the cues that make you're role obvious. But in real drama, the villain doesn't always have a long curling mustache and a black cape. The hero doesn't have a square jaw and a plaid shirt, the heroine doesn't have blond braids and a gingham dress. The characters have to be revealed through their own actions, the situation has to be percieved through a perspective that is actually available to some person.

I think that FL hits on an important point by mentioning suspension of disbelief. At the point where you push something to the point where the reader just says "Oh, come on!" you reach melodrama rather than drama.

Ironically, the term "melodrama" as originally coined refers to plays in which musical themes are used to indicate the mood of the scene. Thus, all modern movies are "melodrama" along with almost all television dramas. But this original meaning does tell us something about why the term came to have the associations it has. In real drama, you don't need the "dun dun daah!" to indicate what the audience should feel. The "melo" in melodrama refers to these stock musical themes that are used as a means of affecting the audience's reaction in the place of well-crafted plot, dialogue, and acting.

By extension, it is used to refer to anything to which is is designed to elicit a specific reaction rather than to enhance the realism or honesty of the portrayal. In fiction, subscribing to the Affective theory of art is currently regarded as something of a sin. If you're a poet you can get away with being an Expressiveist, but prose writers are supposed to be Imitivists.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I ceased to believe in the battle of Helm's Deep when I saw the sea of orcs. I thought, oh, sure, the heroes will survive, because it's in the script. If orcs were real and there were this many, there'd be no point in watching the rest of the movie except masochism.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Not necessarily. For a position as good as Helm's Deep as shown in the movie, 30 to one odds would be bad, but far from hopeless, since they're only holding out till the cavalry arrives. With the elves added in, it would begin to look like a sure thing in the defenders' favor...until the orcs blow up the outer wall and overrun the defending positions.
franc li
Member # 3850

Someone mentioned J.K. Rowling in the "Master of Empathy" thread and I felt like it would be high time to examine it in through the lens of melodrama. Being forced to live under the stairs and work as a servant in for your aunt and uncle seems kind of melodramatic to me. I realize that Potter is part of a genre in which that sort of thing is to be expected.
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not an extremely emotional person so I tend to get annoyed when I feel that someone is purposely trying evoke an emotion in me. I avoid most dramas and "chick flicks" for that reason, along with most popular TV shows that pride themselves on drama. I just don't like being told what to feel. I agree completely with Christine that Pay It Forward would have worked just fine without that ending. But I also have to admit that I cried like a freakin baby. Dangit. A lot of times I just turn off when I catch them trying to manipulate my emotions but that one slipped in there by surprise and caught me off guard.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
I cry at everything. Honestly. The Incredible Journey (and Homeward Bound), Big Fish, Moulin Rouge, Phantom of the Opera, Where the Red Fern Grows... it's terrible. And it doesn't matter how many times I've seen the movie or read the book.

But I watch/read them again, even though I know I'm going to bawl again. What can I say? I'm a sucker for melodrama, I guess.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I understand that nobody wants to be manipulated in what to think and feel. But then, is the writer ready doing that? Maybe sometimes. Would they be true to the characters? Do we expect the characters not to react emotionally to events going on around them?
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be inclined to disagree with you, Chris. Why else would people go to see sad movies if they didn't want to be emotionally manipulated?

I think what people dislike is NOTICING that other people are manipulating their emotions. If it's well done, the manipulation is invisible and you get positive results. If the audience or reader thinks, "wow, that was really a cheap way to pull my strings", they're more likely to resent it.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
There is true drama and emotion out there, things that hit it right on.

The thing with melodrama is that it is over the top. It is farcical and cheesy instead of pure and raw.

I love pschological thrillers. I find them challenging and intriguing -- they feel real and evoke legitimate emotions and responses (for the most part). I do not enjoy horror so much. Written horror is easier to take than movie versions, but I often find the things more farcical than anything -- the "emotions" are so off the chart and come off like over-reactions.

This is especially true of teen movies, but it could probably be argued that teens are melodramatic to begin with.

If the tone of a particular work is supposed to be light and entertaining, then melodrama can be quite appropriate for the characters. If the tone is supposed to be serious and truly dramatic, then (imo) melodrama cheapens the delivery.

When melodrama is used out of place, it makes me want to grab hold of characters and shake some sense into the them while shouting, "GROW UP!!!! BE REAL!!!! PUHLEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!"

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Thats a point, I suppose. Some people regard breakups or oppression or even death as simply another thing. You just deal with it.

That one part of The Joy Luck Club, where April finds out the whole story of her mother and the twins, always makes me cry. She did everything, gave everything, and when hope betrayed her utterly, she lived on and kept giving, kept hoping.

At the same time, the other stories left me slightly cold. Not that I don't appreciate them as art, but I don't cry or anything, unless I really try. But even thinking about the heroism it takes for a person to keep hope alive when...there are things that can make me cry.

There are easy, superficial problems like pain and unrequited love and injustice and death. Adults deal with all of these as a matter of course. To watch someone get all emotionally overwrought over such things troubles us when it really happens, but when we see a fictional character doing the same we can only laugh. Where we peg the problem may depend on both our own ability to deal with something and our native empathy.

There are people that will laugh at someone else's suffering when the same suffering would make them curl up and wish to never have been born. There are people that will cry with idiots that have caused their own suffering along with a good deal of suffering for those around them. There are people that haven't learned to deal with a stubbed toe, and those that can face death with equanimity.

So there's a bit of diversity in what constitues "melodrama". The term has come to mean "a cheap attempt to manipulate the emotions using stock themes". I think that last part is important too. We don't call all modern movies melodramas because the music is original. We have to find our own meanings in it, we don't already know what we're supposed to feel. The same is true of dramtic situations. If the situation is treated in such a way that we feel free to respond out of ourselves rather than the way that "everyone" is supposed to respond (little boy dies=audience cries).

That's one reason that the "hopeless odds" at Helm's Deep didn't strike me as melodrama. Because the characters were free to react against our expectations of how they should have reacted. We were encouraged to reinterpret the mood of the scene, so that instead of it being an occasion for despair we could see it as a chance for heroism. Whereas the scenes of women and children were melodramatic, because we're not encouraged to think "hey, potential reserves" (or "mmm, tasty").

Basically, if the work assumes you'll have a certain reaction to a scene, and you don't have that exact reation, then it will seem melodramatic. Even if it's just because you are feeling like the director or writer or whoever is just trying to manipulate you. If you feel that way but the author doesn't assume you won't, then it could be effective comedy, after all.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
"Melodrama" is ok if used in the proper doses, but only use it when it is at a time where you can make it play on the heart strings of the reader... don't forget that if the reader doesn't feel a long with everything that's going on, it's almost completely pointless.
Then there's the thing about having "melodrama" right from the beginning, even though everyone including OSC says this is bad all the time because you have no reason to feel for the character right from the beginning, I'd have to disagree... sometimes, depending on the character, you can feel for him/her almost instantly on some level, at least enough to create a slight bit of melodrama. The easiest type of character to be able to get this to work with is a child... everyone feels sympathy towards a child almost instantly simply because everyone automatically sees a child as innocent and helpless (reference "Ender's Game" for a perfect example)... for an adult character, this is not always so easy. Sometimes with it can be done with an adult female character with the right approach to it, but due to the typical male stereotypes it is very difficult to get it to work well with an adult male.

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited March 03, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why but this thread reminded me of that kid's book the Giving Tree.
Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

Gah, speaking of the Joy Luck Club, if you've read the book and seen the movie- I thought in some respects the movie was better organized, but the choice of how the son of the very bad husband met his fate... I don't know. I think it's a shame they had to go with the fate in the movie. It prevented me from enjoying it as a work of art when I saw how things had gone in the book. Not because it was melodramatic, but because it showed political cowardice.

Wondering about why the author or director made the stylistic choice that they did is something I shouldn't have to think about if it is done right. But I agree on the story of the one Survivor refers to. As the work is a thematically linked series of vignettes, I guess I can appreciate some without all.

Another example of melodrama: The mimeographed hand in "The Terminal".

If you have to edit more than once, is it rude to get rid of the multiple edit tags?

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited March 06, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

That woman's story was just way too crazy any way you look at it. I mean, in the book it was even crazier, from first to last. If I'd been doing the movie I would be like "can we please please pleasefortheloveofallthingsholy leave out this woman's story entirely?"

I mean, her story has interesting formal qualities in both the book and the movie, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>For a position as good as Helm's Deep as shown in the movie, 30 to one odds

Looked more like 300-to-1 to me!

About sad movies: I saw Terms of Endearment and didn't get that it was a tearjerker. The woman who died was so unsympathetic I was simply relieved.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

on JLC: But there still needed to be 8 vignettes. You can't have a Mah Jong game with only 3 old ladies. I guess the trouble with the original story is that part of it happened in china (her first child) and part of it happened in America (A third pregnancy, I think). Part of the structure in the movie is that character changing events only happened to the mothers in China.

Terms of Endearment: They tried to keep it from being melodrama by having the character not be sympathetic, I think. It takes some involvement on the part of the viewer, the viewer has a choice about how to interpret what happenes. Sometimes a work will mean for that to be the case, but it doesn't quite work for everyone. Like in Million Dollar Baby, where the impact of the ending is dependent on the audience's ignorance that the main character could have gotten what she wanted through legal channels. When a viewer is aware of this, I think it makes the ending melodramatic. But for most of the public, it wasn't melodramatic apparently.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited March 06, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

In the movie they made it very clear that there are 10,000 orcs and about 300 defenders (before the elves show up). Of course, a lot of them were old men or boys, which is what got everyone all depressed.
franc li
Member # 3850

Someone just brought up the baby deaths in The Worthing Saga. Melodrama or not? I guess I'll just issue a

****SPoiLeR aLeRT*****
I think most of the baby deaths were melodramatic, there were just there to make you feel sick to your stomach. Some were metaphoric, but could only seem as such if you haven't actually known a baby that died. I think the death of Camar was not melodramatic because it actually involved the characters. It was not wallpaper..
.end spoilers

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
it's been too long since i read Worthing Saga... so i honestly can't say...

maybe i should go back and reread it?

honestly though, i think it may have been, because i can remember having felt cheated when i read Worthing Saga... it just didn't seem like the Card i had grown used to by this point.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

It's been over a decade since I've read it myself. I remembered I liking it quiet a bit.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the one who brought up the Worthing Saga stuff. I think part of the reason it effected me so deeply was because of the pointlessness of it all. But I probably was hit so hard because I had just had my first child, after a miscarriage. It resonated with me. A non-parent probably would not be hit as hard.

Also I'm so sensitive that I cry during good commercials, and have yet to make it through a single issue of Reader's Digest without crying at least a half dozen times. So it could just be me.

On a non-book note, a movie that really got to me was American History X. I love that movie but it is too intense to watch very often.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.