Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Narration... help!

Author Topic: Narration... help!
Lazarus Long
Member # 2008

- posted      Profile for Lazarus Long   Email Lazarus Long         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my narrator down but its very hard. I'm trying to have a third person limited narrator where the reader will see things from the perspective of one character in a scene (I'm going to have a couple of POV characters).

Here's my problem: While writing the narration, it seems almost impossible to use the narrator the way I want. Instead, everything I write seems to be physical-only, like a movie. I find it hard to use narration to reveal what my POV character is thinking/feeling/etc.

anyone have any pointers for me?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can post a sample of a trouble spot to F&F...
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the first question that comes to mind is...Do *you* know what your character is thinking and feeling? If not, it will be impossible to write it. Write it down, all of it. What she/he is thinking, feeling, desiring, and not in general terms but specific for the scene you are writing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't follow the difficulty. Here's a way to show what the POV character is thinking and feeling, with narration.

John was furious. She'd planned this; he was sure of it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This does seem like an odd question. But the truth is that it's a fairly common problem. The only way to get around it is to do as Christine suggests, ask yourself what the POV character thinks/feels about the situation. Do it often. If the POV character is going to do something, ask yourself why, and write down the answer.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Survivor!

One thing to try (and it's a common trick when writing mysteries) is an interview with the narrator - sometimes conducting the interview through another character will help clarify their relationship.

But, I am wondering if maybe your real problem is that the character voice you've chosen to narrate the story doesn't want to.

Have you tried finding a different voice?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.