Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Why Women Don't Write Hard SF -- one author's view

Author Topic: Why Women Don't Write Hard SF -- one author's view
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I swore I wasn't going to post anything because I've got this frickin' fantasy novel staring me in the face, begging to be completed in the few moments I have to myself. But I found this article while researching something else somewhat related and immediately thought of the intelligent women here at Hatrack.

The article's subject was feminism's legacy of destroying the ability of women to think by corralling them in Women's Studies and labeling rationality as a tool of the patriarchy to divorce women from their intuition. I agreed with most of what he said, even though I didn't like the way he said it most of the time.

But then he said that because of this contempt for "masculine" logic and intellectual rigor, most women aren't able to handle the science required for hard SF. They either go for soft, romance-oriented SF or fantasy. He implies that choosing this means a lower intellectual capacity.

So, why don't I see more women writing hard SF when I look at the "new books" shelf in my library?

What say you, men and women of the Hatrack Writer's Workshop?

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite a lack of degrees in hard sciences, I've written some relatively hard SF stories. I just have a good layman's (I mean, layperson's) knowledge of science, plus the willingness to do some research.

There are plenty of women out there with degrees in hard sciences, who know more about those sciences than I do. So I reject the idea that women can't write hard SF because they lack the scientific knowledge.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Isn't that a load a horse shit.

Pardon my French.

But seroiusly, there is a time and place for cussing, and that often comes when something looks like shit, smells like shit, acts like shit, and is, in fact, shit.

I feel better now.

I know LOTS of women in hard science and engineering. I don't personally have that background, but it is actually something I regret. I keep thinking that I should go back to school and get a degree in physics. I've always had a knack for math, I just never knew what I'd do with it until now so I stayed away. Now I know exactly what I want to dow ith it:

write hard scifi.

I'm not saying this because you posted this article, either. I've wanted to do this for some time, although I admit that even in my ahrd scifi I will almost certainly have a human angle to cling to.

Now, I'm going to take this as a challenge because that's what I do. I'm not going to sit here and answer what women (especially me) can and cannot do without offering you some proof. I have pressing things to do right now, but give me until say...June. That's almost three months. In that time I will research and write my first hard science fiction story. At that time I will post it in F&F for everyone's scrutiny. Is that fair?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have women writing hard SF before recently? Seems to me the hard SF is less interesting to women, whether writers or readers. Feminism didn't cause it.

I teach computer science, another field that interests fewer women than men. For a while we shared a scholarship with math & chemistry, for women only, all expenses paid. We had the devil of a time finding female students who were willing to major in CS. We graduated one recently, not stellar, but good. And she said, if it hadn't been for the scholarship, she'd have gone to the business school. Now that she's out, she's gone to grad school, in business.

For writers, I consider one of my favorites: Connie Willis. She does the technobabble as well as anyone. Her novel Bellwether showed something we don't see that often in SF: how science is really done -- and I think she got it right. But hard SF isn't where her heart is, so she doesn't do it. It all has a soft feel, few machines and gizmos, more history and personal relationships. Why shouldn't it?

That said, Christine, blow us away with your next opus.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I have a CS degree and I didn't even get a specific scholarship for it.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Yes. There are outliers. My PhD. advisor was a woman (still is, last I heard ) and IMHO she was the best researcher in our department. And the department was still only something like 12% female (3 out of I think 20).
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that many women writers I spoke with learned early on that softer sci-fi and fantasy sells more books than hard sci-fi. Many times it was simply a decision to get more bang for the buck.
Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a crock, myself. I also think that there are simply a lot of good sci-fi writing women out there who choose _not_ to write hard sci-fi, not because they cannot, but because they choose to subordinate the technology to the story. Did that make sense? *needs more coffee today*
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, why are most of the modern prehistoric fiction writers women? :*
Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently finishing up a degree in biomedical engineering. Being that the field is biology related, I actually have more women for class mates then men. I tell you for a fact that women are not naturally disadvantaged in the fields of physics and science, they routinely perform better in the classroom then me (not to imply that I'm the gold standard of engineering students). But they way that they learn it seems to be very different than the way us men do.

This is only speaking about my experiences with my classmates, so it clearly suggests no conclusions for man kind at large. But the women I know tend to learn science and mathematics by memorizing processes and limits; they learn that "this doesn't work, you can't do this, if you're given this question you do this...". It's all a very abstract affair, to them.

Myself, and a fair portion of the men I know, tend to learn by gaining a visceral understanding of the physics behind the problem. Half the time all I do is look at a problem and I have a working model of it in my head.

My undersanding is that the situation is reversed when it comes to people and relationships. I, and many men I know, have merely an encyclopedic knowledge of limits and processes. And many women I know are able to think on a more basic level and understand the underlying laws of behavour.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that while both sexes are extremely capable of handling both situations, we do use our imagination in very different ways. The part of your brain that creates a working model of a problem (be it social or physical) is the exact same part that we use to take an idea for a story and run with it.

I might (and have) start a story by saying "It's physically possible to have a device that does this, what if I had one right now?". I would end up with a story that is a relatively hard sci-fi. Someone who uses their imagination for more people-oriented applications might think "What if this kind of person were put in this situation?". The resulting story would be oriented around the characters involved. As mentioned before, these stories tend to sell better as people are more likely to care about other people.

There's my two cents. I could be wrong.

-Josh

[This message has been edited by Jsteg1210 (edited March 03, 2005).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Wow. I walk away for a few minutes to take care of the kiddies and I get seven replies. Not that I'm complaining.

Everyone: I agree about choice v. ability. I've had enough experiences with various sciences and math that I know I can do the work if I wanted to.

I chose, however, to focus on the liberal arts in college. As much as I enjoy science, I enjoy the arts more. Writing is one of the most intellectually stimulating exercises I've known. That, and raising kids. Especially kids who have discovered the question "Why?".

Christine: looking forward to reading that novel. Reading this article makes me want to start on the research for my SF story that's been simmering in the back of my brain for a couple of years now. But I've got two fantasy stories that are demanding my attention first. Soon, though... soon.

wbriggs: Bellwether sounds interesting. And I agree, I think it's a choice women make. The only reason I would have majored in CS when I was in college was because I heard I could make a good living from it, but money means very little to me. As shown by my current interests.

JB: that's interesting. I write fantasy because I enjoy it, but I can see someone choosing it for other reasons.

Mike: you made a lot of sense. No matter what the genre, the characters are the most important part of the story.

Josh: feminists hate what you observed, for all their talk lately about getting in touch with "the goddess within". When John Gray's Men Are From Mars, etc. came out, I read more than one article in the more feminist-oriented mags that whined about his influence.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited March 03, 2005).]

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the part that ticked me:

quote:
...thus ensuring that this generation, like its foremothers, will also fail to accomplish anything worthy of historical regard.

What exactly does he consider worthy of "historical regard"?

A few from the last century:
Mother Teresa
Freya Stark
Harriet Tubman
Florence Nightingale
Sally Ride (yeah, I'm sure she doesn't know anything about science)
Sandra Day O'Connor

If those women are not "of historical regard" then nothing is of historical regard.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy isn't doing any favors to conservative thinkers. There may be a kernel of truth to his ideas, but he's expanded them to obnoxious and frankly wrong conclusions.

People who write fiction are on the fringes of society. Those who write hard sci-fi are even more so. Unique people that have a strong interest in dressing fantasy in the nicest possible clothes.

Sci-fi is, after all, just fantasy with the illusion of realism. Hard sci-fi is just a stronger illusion.

Why should we believe that the fact that there are more male hard sci-fi writers has any significance beyond personal preference (or even chance) given the miniscule segment of the population that hard sci-fi writers represent?

I would agree with the concept that equality movements become counterproductive after equality has been established. I believe the vast majority of the US population believes women are just as capable as men. That makes us as equal as human beings are likely to get without degenderizing the sexes.

But beyond that concept, I don't think Vox Day (pen name or cruel parents?) had much of value to say.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

NewsBys: I thought he was referring specifically to the feminists when he talked about doing something worthy of note. But one of my kids was demanding my attention at the time, so I guess I read it wrong.

The guy's more of a jerk than I thought.

SteeleGregory: I like how you broke the problem down. And I agree about Vox Day. If he cared about the conservative movement, he would just shut up.

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering exactly what a woman would have to do to earn this man’s intellectual respect. At the beginning of his article he gripes that women do not pursue anything other Women’s Studies but then at the end of the article states that a degree proves nothing. So even if a women DID pursue a Physics degree, would it matter?

I think this man’s issue with women goes far beyond their ability or lack thereof (in his opinion) to write hard SciFi.

I think that any woman has the capacity to write as well as any man. Whether she is interested in the same topics is another matter entirely that has nothing to do with her ability. His statement that “women do not write hard science fiction today because so few can hack the physics,” is a load of crap. If a woman was interested enough in the subject to do the research, she could “hack the physics” just fine.

I took particular offense at his comment that because women cannot “hack the physics,” they “stick to fantasy where they can make things up without getting hammered by critics holding triple Ph.D.s in molecular engineering, astrophysics and Chaucer.” I am a reader and writer of Fantasy and I do not see it as a weak-minded alternative to SciFi. You cannot create a believable world and all that entails without doing a good amount of hard research. You have to have a minimal understanding at least of biology, genetics, economics, geography, etymology, politics, sociology, physiology, psychology, and probably a lot of other ology’s that I’m forgetting.

I am not particularly interested in hard SciFi myself but that is a choice. It has nothing to do with whether I could learn the required information to write a good hard SciFi novel or not. I think he is confusing women’s choice of interests with their ability to learn. Just because I am not interested in something does not mean I have no capacity to learn it.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered why physics seems to be the gold standard by which intelligence and intellectual aptitude is measured.

I love math, geology, chemistry, biology, computers...my list could go on and on, but I can't stand physics. I learn what I have to as I need but I have no desire to do anything more than that.

I also have no desire to take a women's anything course.

I agree with what Christine said. This is nothing but a great big pile of unmittigated horse shit.

I also agree with Mike that if the story doesn't hold up, what's the point of the science.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

RH: I think it's because it requires more math. I even heard -- this is a few years back -- one scientist say that biology was an easy course because it didn't use much beyond algebra. I also remember when I was in college that a lot of non-science oriented students said that if you wanted an easy science course, take geology.

Now, even though I haven't seriously looked at biology in a few years, I don't remember it as particularly simplistic or "easy". In fact, some of the concepts were just as difficult to wrap one's head around as anything I saw in my friend's physics class where she played with tennis balls.

As for the higher mathematics, my husband tells me that the only trouble comes during Calculus II when a few paradigms have to shift. Other than that, it's relatively easy if you're willing to put in the work.

People are not stupid if they state they have no interest in physics or any of the hard sciences.

TaShaJaRo: I almost stuck that quote about fantasy writers in my original post. Then I decided to let it stay in context. It just seems too over the top to be believed. I'm surprised it ticked me off more than the obvious hatred of women this guy shows.

And to think, this guy's a member of SFWA.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

OK, now I'll do something to get everyone REALLY mad. (Not really.)

I remember Harrison ("Stainless Steel Rat") saying he thought it was sad that so many new writers are doing fantasy, because it's easy. I think he's half right. Adapting it to epic in particular: bad epic fantasy is easier than bad SF. But good epic fantasy is way harder than good SF.

I can count the epic fantasies I thought were worth reading. LotR; Hed; Forgotten Beasts of Eld (maybe not epic); Lyonesse. I may have forgotten one or 2. I find most of the others tedious. I think he's right also about the easiness in this regard: mostly, sword & sorcery has 1 milieu, as familiar as Star Trek, the difference being that if you set your story in the Federation, you get sued.

I love a good epic, but I don't know if I'll try one. Too hard.

Christine
Member # 1646

I will say this much:

Women and men TEND towards differences that make men flock to physics and women flock to literature. There are two problems with this. One, the assumption that physics is somehow more intellectual, requiring more intelligence that literature or the fine arts. I would rather say that they require different kinds of intelligence at the same level, but this is a subject that has psychologists up in arms if you wave it by them.

Second, one of the reasons that men take to math better is the way that it's taught. Men tend to be visual learners and math, especially once you get into calculus-based math, is highly visual. I should know. I had to learn calculus without any ability to see the blackboard! Those of you who took this kind of math, can you imagine? I often wanted to ask my teachers to tape record their lectures and play it back to see if it made any sense to them. I mention this for another reason. That played-back tape is often what women, who tend towards auditory forms of learning, get out of a calculus class.

Sooooo....if I had my way I'd offer two different classes, one for visual learners and one for auditory learners. (notice I did not say one for men and one for women....these things are tendencies not rules but any auditory learner will get more out of a class geared that way). I heard the complaint from many women. Most of the older members of the hard sciences, the professors who pass on the knowledge, are men. Small wonder that they aren't taught differently.

I remember my first physics class in college. My test grades were, in order: C, C, A, A...final exam A. (I got a B in the class.) I got nothing out of class, but mid-semester I pestered the professor to no end. I asked him to explain again, and again, until I got it. And I do get it now. I was having trouble with forces. "Forces?" says my husband, "but they're easy!" Well, maybe to someone who gleams the information through those arrows he drew in this direction in that on those silly ramps. But for me, it only clicked after he SAID it in a way that made sense. After that, I even understood the pictures, but I needed them to have a verbal representation.

That's my take on women in hard sciences, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 03, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also remember when I was in college that a lot of non-science oriented students said that if you wanted an easy science course, take geology.

Keeley, that's what the kids often thought when they started my intro geology classses. They were really upset when they found out that I was there to make them learn to think.

Christine. I thought that was well put, but then it fits with my male assumptions and prejudices. I am a visual learner and a visual thinker. It doesn't make good sense to me if I cannot diagram it. I even think of people's personalities visually. A blank personality is a globe and the bumps and elongations are the indicators of their personalities.

Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

My humblest apologies to any feminists in the group .

The fact is that in order to truly understand biology you need to have a very firm grasp of statistics, calculus, Newtonian physics, chemistry, and molecular physics, etc. The devices found in biology are so incredibly advanced that many of them take advantage of principles found in every single one of these fields. If you want specific examples, just ask. Biology is not "easy".

I agree in equality, and actually think that we haven't quite reached it yet; women are still payed less then men for the same jobs and it is usually assumed that when children happen it should be the woman that makes most of the professional sacrifices.

But to say that women's minds function in exactly the same way as men's is really pretty silly. There are documented differences in neuroanatomy between the sexes, suggesting that the behavior differences between men and women has a nature component as well as nurture. We go about things in different ways, that's all. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

As for the article...

To put it simply, this man has his head very firmly lodged between his butt cheeks. This article is nothing more than a mis-informed, poorly written, egotistical rant and isn't worth our time. My only consolation is in picturing the horrible self-inflicted torture that will ensue whenever he falls in love.

Keeley
Member # 2088

wbriggs: I agree with everything you said, except the idea that sword&sorcery only has one milieu. To go back to your ST example, the Federation has certain rules you must always follow. Once you take out Vulcans, say, you aren't in the ST universe anymore; you're in a completely different milieu. S&S fantasy can, and should, change things around inside the milieu. For example, taking out elves.

And I do mean take them out. Take them out, take them out, burn them, BURN THEM I say!!

The really sad part is I love elves. *sniff*

Mike: At the risk of sounding like a kiss-up, if you were as passionate in your teaching as your characters in Stone Musings are about the subject, I think I would have enjoyed your class very much. Too bad you don't teach at my local college.

Christine: I never thought of looking at math that way. I do remember the first time I visualized an equation before I'd finished the problem. I told my husband about how excited I was and how different it felt. He frowned and said that he's always "seen" math.

Josh: thanks for the clarification regarding biology. I would accept your apology, but I'm no feminist -- in the traditional sense, anyway.

As for the article, I only posted the link so any respondants would have a reference for my question. We seem to be staying pretty much on topic... I think... and it's definitely an interesting discussion.

[edited to fix egregious spelling error.]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited March 03, 2005).]

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't be writing this right after reading that collection of bullshit Keeley linked to (and none of this ire is directed at her - not shooting the messenger here).

I know I shouldn't write this while my blood pressure is through the roof and I want to track this Vox waste of skin down and kick his self-righteous, miserably-ill informed, misogynistic ass into the next century.

Yet here I go.

First of all, you know how much his opinion is worth when he points to Anne Coulter as the only "serious" female author on the political scene. Are you freaking kidding me? This idiot's supposedly in SFWA, yet he hasn't met its president, Catherine Asaro? I'd like to see him talk down to her about astrophysics, quantum physics, or any of the other advanced sciences she has mastered. Or how about member Dr. Susan Shwartz? Or any of the dozens of other women in the field?

This man is a moron, pure and simple: a hate-monger whose opinions are worthless. Obviously, a feminist turned him down for a date once and he hasn't gotten over it.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Vox Day. Hmmm.

Vox populi is Latin for "voice of the common man" (I think. My Latin is rusty.)

Vox Dei is Latin for "voice of Gods" (Correct me if I am wrong here also.)

Make your own conclusions about his choice of pen name.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Down girls!

(I have the feeling I'm about to make myself very unpopular around here. And just so there are NO misunderstandings in gender--I am FEmale. But...)

I didn't read the article as so much an attack on women in general as an attack on a certain type of feminist who wants to be RECOGNIZED as equal to men without doing the work to PROVE it. I found the mood of the article to be very much lamenting this fact. Wishing that more women would pull their heads out of their feminist behinds and PROVE how very capable they are.

Not ONCE did he say that women are INCAPABLE of writing hard sci-fi. Not ONCE did he say that women are intellectually inferior. What he did say was that women have allowed, in the name of something called feminism, themselves to be shoved into a mindset that is proving to be detrimental to their intellectual development.

Did he go too far? Was he overly abrasive? Is he probably a big woman-hating jerk?

Sure. I'll concede that.

Did his comments offend women everywhere?

Of course they did.

Will women everywhere overreact because they've been conditioned by the vocal feminist movement to believe that ANY attack on women is akin to murdering babies?

Of course they will.

And how many of those same women will gleefully forward the next seven hundred man-bashing emails they receive from all their loving friends and family?

Every single damned one!

In the very appropriate words of Mr. Day himself:

quote:
...no matter what sex you are, if you can't defend your assertions, if you can't fight on an equal playing field and if you won't engage in open intellectual battle with anyone who challenges your opinion, then you deserve the contempt in which you will be held.

<awaiting hate mail>

Oh, yeah, (just to make myself popular with the men around here) I delete every single man-bashing email I get!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not agree with everything Day wrote or the way he wrote it, but I do agree with his basic premise. Just as with visual and auditory learners being gender sensitive, why not hard SF and soft SF? As Christine said, "these things are tendencies not rules." If someone said most carpenters are men or most grade school teachers are women, I'd hardly consider them fighting words. Day could easily have said few women write techno thrillers. (Are there any?) So what?

I'm not a hard SF fan--don't read it and wouldn't want to write it. Don't like fantasy, either. However, my WIP does have a "strong, beautiful, independent and intelligent but lonely woman" who falls in love with a rugged man.... Well, not lumberjack rugged, so maybe that doesn't count in Day's estimation.

But I missed getting into Mensa by three IQ points. Several years later, as I recall, they lowered the limit and I would have gotten in with that same score. Thought of retrying but was afraid the years between might have robbed me of some grey matter and that I'd score lower. Was especially concerned I'd forgotten all the algebra I ever knew.

Almost a Mensa and I'm writing space opera. Go figure.

I was surprised Day didn't mention Nancy Hopkins storming out on Harvard president Larry Summer's speech about the possibility of "innate sex differences" explaining the dearth of women in top scientific echelons. Like Estrich, Hopkins just fueled the premise. No rebuttal, no counter evidence, she just ran off, afraid she would have "blacked out." Afraid she would faint. Talk about feeding a stereotype.

If Day might be troublesome for the conservative movement, Estrich and Hopkins are hardly helping the feminist movement.

I've read all Ann Coulter's books and I agree with Day that she's brilliant. Love what the Washington Post Book World wrote about her: "A fluent polemicist with a gift for Menckenesque invective...and she can harness such language to subtle, syllogistic argument." Even if you don't agree with her views, if you've read her books, you can't deny her intelligence. Day's point that Estrich responded to what she didn't like hearing with a "hissy fit" instead of some honest disputation is exactly why he admires Coulter. Hissy fits and fainting spells are poor substitutes for intelligent debate.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited March 04, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Good for you, djvdakota. You go, girl.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota--

Thanks. I was afraid no one would say what you'd said by the time I got to the end of this thread, and then I'd have to say it, and I'm not even female and boy would that have caused trouble.

The point is, that while I disagree with some of what the guy said, and almost all of the way in which he said it, his points about feminism are largely valid--not all the details, but the effects. Fortunately, I don't think the effects are as extreme as he claims, but they're there and they're real.

Ah, and now I see that Kolona has posted while I was writing this. Though I'm still the only guy who's taken this position.

By they way, I DON'T think that women are unable to learn the hard sciences. Any of you who've heard me talk about my daughter should already know that.

And as an aside, the reason that physics is the "gold standard" in the sciences is, in my opinion, because it's the easiest science. It deals with things at the simplest, most basic, most verifiable level. As a result, it is much more completely and exactly understood than any other science. I won't say that "learning physics" is easier than "learning biology". Because it's an easier topic, it's much more completely understood, and that makes it just as hard to learn. It does tend to be more mathematical, so for the math-challenged it's probably harder.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona,

I understand that MENSA accepts old tests. If you feel like becoming a member, and your old score qualifies, you shouldn't have to retake any tests.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited March 04, 2005).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Really? Interesting.

Just checked Mensa website where they mention that different tests can be used and how different scores from two different tests can mean the same thing. Now I'm wondering if they used a different test from the time of my original try to that of the subsequent article I read.

I'll have to dig out my photo albums and find that letter.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I agree that there are physiological differences between the sexes, I have yet to be convinced that any of the specific effects mentioned so far can be traced to those differences.

Anecdotal evidence does not equal proof. Ever.

Don't worry about the MENSA thing, Kolona. You don't need a group of people who need a membership card in order to feel intelligent. We all know you're bright. With love from a (very) former mensa member.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I feel that he was attacking all women. Yes, he was directly attacking over-zealous feminists, but indirectly he attacked all women. His blanket statement that women engage in Women’s Studies (whatever the heck those are) simply because some feminist says we should…that implies we’re all mindless sheep.

Yes, there are die-hard feminists out there who, in my opinion, cause more damage to the cause of women than good. Yes, there are women out there who take offense if someone opens a door for them or tries to pay for dinner. There are women out there who would like nothing better than to turn the world into an androgynous planet. And there are probably even women out there who will follow them like blind sheep. I have to have faith in my own gender that more women than not are NOT like that.

So for him to lump us all in with the vocal minority is a lack of research on his part and a blatant attack.

I’m also just fed up with the perception that Fantasy writing is some kind of sub-intelligent writing form and that SciFi and Literary writing is what the “real” writers write. Only those who have had their submissions to The National Enquirer repeatedly rejected end up writing Fantasy because that’s all they’re good for. I know that no one here thinks that but it seems to be a pervading attitude out there. I’m also sick of math and science being the end-all be-all standard of intelligence. I totally suck at math and sciences so I greatly admire anyone who can understand them. But do not forget that there are ancient languages out there that scholars today still cannot decipher. Take Nubia for example. After thousands of years, we are STILL unable to translate their writings, they were that advanced.

And one last thing, though I’m in danger of sounding like a feminist saying it…how many women major in business and arts because they have been told all their lives that they will never excel at anything else? And they were not told this by feminists but fathers and mothers and good old fashioned regular people. When I wanted to learn oceanography and study to do all those marvelous things the people who discovered the Titanic do, my mother told me not to. “That’s not what women do.” When I wanted to play drums in the school band, my mother made me play flute instead because “women do not play drums.”

So, it is not entirely the fault of the feminists and it is not entirely the fault of the women themselves. It is a combination of things. As an adult, I can make my own choices as to what THIS woman will do. If I choose to be a sheep and let anyone else makes my decisions for me, whether it be a feminist or a husband, then that is MY fault.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I deleted this post because it was a bit O/T. I'm moving it to a new post. Please check it out. This guy is a complete horse's ass.

[This message has been edited by ScottMiller (edited March 04, 2005).]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I'd wait to see whether Vox Day can actually produce any hard SF. Second off, can gay men write SF?
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

What does gay have to do with it? But the answer is yes: Samuel Delaney. In fiction, sometimes, he kicks ass. But Lord, ain't he a fruitcake. I say this because he said that providing art is essentially sadism, and receiving art is masochism. Or else the reverse, I forget which.

About Mensa: I'm in it. The main benefit is the yearly conference. Only one time there did I think I saw someone trying to impress others with their brains. (Not counting the SF writers we had as speakers.)

Keeley
Member # 2088

See, I thought he was just attacking feminists when I first read this and the women who get caught up in "The Cause".

Until I got to the part where he said that women hadn't learned to think well enough to hack hard SF and that's why more women didn't write it.

I still agree with his basic premise that feminists are turning into the Victorian images they tried to obliterate (the idiot schemer and the delicate flower). And I agree that this very vocal minority has put out some very bad science makes the situation of women seem worse than it actually is. And I agree that people are, for the most part, sheep. There's a reason Jesus kept calling himself the Good Shepherd.

But to say that women have chosen to avoid writing hard SF because they've been lulled away by feminism struck me as ill-informed and just wrong. My own opinion has already been stated. I posted this because I started to wonder if maybe I was looking at the situation wrong. I'm a relative newbie to the writing world, after all. And this guy is a member of SFWA. He must be in the know, right?

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and opinions, every single one. I love knowing this board can discuss this topic without turning into a flame war.

As for Ann Coulter, I think she's intelligent, but I can't stand the way she writes. She's too combative. I much prefer Wendy McElroy.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited March 04, 2005).]

Alynia
Member # 2358

- posted      Profile for Alynia   Email Alynia         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a theory that goes like this:

1) Children learn the hard sciences best prior to puberty.

2) Girls' puberty comes before boys'.

3) The hard sciences are taught in schools AFTER the girls' puberty and prior to the boys'.

As for me - I adore science and math. I discuss Quantum physics over lunch and calculus is a light chat among friends.

Unfortunately I went to school in a small town (one my father threatened to burn daily) and girls were sent to Home Economics and not science.

Everything I know, I taught myself and continue to keep abreast of the ongoing studies. Has anyone read about the String Theory? But I digress.

I write SF - hard SF - but stick to Paranormal and Mythology as they're closer to my heart. Besides, I find most hard SF to be a boring read and I much prefer to creep out my victims than educate them.

hehe

Posts: 38 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Did you know that mathematicians lose their usefulness after their mid to late twenties? A thirty-year-old mathematician is entirely unlikely to develop new ideas or new theories. (Well, I suppose this doesn't make older ones completely useless, they still know what they know, they just don't know anything else.)
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The fellow who solved Fermat's last theorem, that was on Nova, seemed to be past his mid 20's. Though he wasn't quite in his prime.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
For a much saner, objective discourse than Mr. Day's on the topic of women's aptitudes, and the current debate over their position in academia, see this week's cover story package in Time Magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050307/

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

Christine, I woke up this morning remembering a situation where the visual/audio tables were flipped on me. I was in your world for a whole semester

The instructor teaching Linear Algebra was one of those rare non-visual engineers, and he was in love with the language of math. He would go on and on in class about spans and vectors, and without a picture to look at I was completely lost. I barely passed that class, and I love math.

I would guess that if I kept getting classes like that I would be able to find ways to cope and get normal grades (probably by memorizing a series of limits and processes ), but my understanding would never be intuitive enough to write a story based on it. I'm not entirely sure who'd be interested in reading a story based on linear algebra, anyways.

Just wanted to say: you're right.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've read it and read it and read it, and I STILL don't see that he's making a blanket attack on women.

<shrug>

I guess I'm just not right for Mensa!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.