Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Translations & Arthur

Author Topic: Translations & Arthur
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I'm working on a short story in which I want to use a place name in irish. There are a couple of reasons for this but the main thing is I want to disguise the place until the end of the story. It means island of the apples - Avalon. It will only be mentioned once or twice.

The options are
Oileann na h-úlla - island of the apples
Inis úl - Apple island
Oileann an úl - island of the apple.

(My translations are quite rough, so if anyone has a better idea please let me know. I have a friend who took Irish language in college so I will be checking the technicalities with her.)

If you don't know Irish, does it read really strangely? If so, it this a problem. Which sounds best.

I'm not intending to state outright that it is Avalon, but more let the reader surmise as much from the context and the reveal of that context which will be related to a character name - I'm going for a proto-Arthurian feel. It's set in Ireland of the dark ages, with a character having travelled from Wales.

I don't want to go outright Arthurian, because its not about men in shinig armour and I want it to only touch the Arthurian myth, as if this is part of its earliest origins.

Does it sound like a workable idea? I know there are a few Arthur buffs out there, so I plan to be picking your brains big time when I have more written.

Waht do you think?

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The options are
Oileann na h-úlla - island of the apples
Inis úl - Apple island
Oileann an úl - island of the apple.

I like the last two options best. The first is quite long and looks a bit convoluted -- I find myself tripping over it.

Of the last two, I like Oileann an úl. It isn't too long and the pronunciation seems obvious. It also has a nice poetic lilt.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second option best.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the 2nd, best. More accessible to readers.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I say the second one. It's easier and quicker to pronounce in my head than the other two.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
2nd one, it's shorter and easier to remember.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
My votes for the second one too.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited March 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
RFLong

I thought you might find this brief piece on withholding information useful, given what I understand you are doing with this piece.

http://www.thinkage.ca/~jim/prose/suspenseandwithholdinginformation.htm

mm

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited March 09, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If you hadn't said it, I was going to. The only times I can think of when I'm ok with the author keeping secrets from me:

* A detective story (and I still insist on getting all the clues)
* A story about a scheme, like a heist (and I insist that what ISN'T being told be clearly identified, as in, the robbers don't tell me their scheme, but I still know they have one)

Otherwise, I feel cheated.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Second one. Keep it simple and short. If I have a hard time figuring out how to pronounce a really odd name, I will eventually begin to lose interest.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this helps but Apples come from asia, around Kyrgyzstan where they still grow wild and scary.

Botanists believe that they were popular in the mediterranean and especially Rome and that it was the Romans that introduced them to the British Isles.

So (pedant that I am) I would not like a pre-Roman british settlement that had a reference to apples.

Post Roman is fine. Avalon as a word is clearly post Roman. But then so was Arthur, whether this is an Arthurian tale set pre or post Roman occupation is not disclosed but sounds a bit like it is before.

Dark Ages is a term that confuses me, so if that is an explanation -- sorry, I missed it.

By the way, did you know that Tasmania (my home) is referred to as the Apple Isle? Right now your thinking "Who cares? Just shut-up and stop posting."

For the record I prefer 'Inis úl'

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all

I may have given you the wrong end of the stick a bit here.

It's not that I'm withholding information from the reader, but it isn't actually important to the story. The effect I am trying to create is to do with layers - how history and legend merge at this point in time.

There has always been a lot of trade and communication between Ireland and Wales. Our patron Saint, St Patrick, was a welshman (over from Holyhead on a day trip - sorry, bad local joke, couldn't resist). The idea is that a welsh character has come to Ireland on a mission for his warleader. It is indeed post Roman Britain, but less Salmation Knights. I'm trying to avoid overt allusion to the Arthur tales because of a reader's associations.

It's more Arthgwr or Aurelius than Arthur, if you see what I mean.

It's going to be a short story to begin with and I will definitely post it in Fragments and Feedback when I have a full draft. At the moment I am about half way through.

Hoptoad - good point about the apples. I may try to find something in Irish that sounds phoenetically like Avalon rather than use úl. In that case I think Oileann is actually a good start, both as it reads and phoeonetically (ill-lawn).

I didn't know that about Tasmania. Who knows, perhaps its actually Arthur's Avalon, or the Celt's Tir na nOg (Land of Youth). Never apologise for new information. I love strange facts.

Mike, thanks for the link. It looks useful. I'll give it the once over.

R

RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all

there's a new suggestion on the cards thanks to my mate.

Abhainn lán

Which would translate as something like the Abundant River. (Or the River Abundant, if you want to get technical).

What do you think?

Ruth

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Abhainn lán.
But how is it pronounced?
Is it kind of like Affin Lon?

I like the words seperately too.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
There are other possible translations for the meaning of Avalon that you could look into as well. One of my favorites has its roots in Scotland--Invalynn--Isle of the Alynn (the Alann River, that is). In Gaelic, alain means lovely or fair. Eilean means island. Some combination of these might work for you.

Also, being an Arthurphile, I certainly hope you will feel VERY FREE to send this story to me when you are ready for critiques. No need to ask. Just send it. Oh, yeah. And pick my brain all you want.

For some time period historical fiction, have you tried Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles? There's also an Irish writer (brain flatulence, I can't remember her name--Robin something) who has written some pretty good pre-middle ages stuff--like The Red Branch, about Cuchulainn.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi all

hoptoad - you aren't far off. Abhainn lán would be something like Ow-on lawn or Ah-von lawn. It depends on little things like dialect and accent. It's amazing that in such a small country, the way Irish sounds can be so dramatically different. Donegal Irish and Kerry Irish can sound like totally different languages - not to mention the infamous "School" Irish.

I had a good chat with Brid. She studies Irish historical linguistics as well as old Irish in college. This is what she said:

quote:

also anything like abhainn for river is lingusitcally - direct anaology- to avon in old english
Anna livia
Abhainn na life

avon is abhainn
gown is guna

they just develped slightly in different ways but come from exactlyu the same word if you go back far enough.

So the River Avon is basically the River River.

She also gave me the link to the following site. Dakota, as you mentioned Scots Gaelic you could find this very interesting too.

http://www.mackinnon.me.uk/Faclair/

There are so many links in the old celtic legends. For example, Gawain is sometimes referred to as being of the Setantii. Setanta was the boyhood name of Cuchulainn which has lead many scholars to draw a direct correlation between Gawain (or Gwalchmai) and Cuchulainn.

It's one of the problems I often run into when researching a story of this ilk. I get so caught up in the research and in these wonderfully intricate links that I don't get round to writing the story!!! That's it though. I have to write it now, if only to post it on the F&F here. Many thanks for the offers to read, folks. I will supply it as soon as I stop faffing around and get it done.

I know I'll be back to pick the brains of those in the know.

Here's another thought - what correlations are there between Nimue and the Lady of the Lake. I keep seeing oblique references, but I can't find much solid in the different stories.

R

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Nimue and the Lady of the Lake. Ah, see, now we start getting into the fuzzy realm of the myth vs. the reality.

I personally think that both were transplanted into the story. I don't think they belong. In fact, anything that can be attributed to more than one legend, IMO, can be removed from the Arthur legends. When you start filtering those things out, you're actually left with a much smaller, but more interesting work, because it starts sounding REAL! That's what is intriguing for me when we're discussing Arthur--what COULD HAVE BEEN REAL!!

So I think your regard of some of the elements of the Arthur legends depend very much on what kind of story you're writing. If you're going the fantasy/legend/myth, then I'm probably not the one to help you. I detest them. I want the REAL Arthur. If you're going for historical, then I'm your woman.

RFLong
Member # 1923

I'm afraid I'm not going real Arthur but rather towards the type of legends that might have spawned Arthur.

The Arthur myth we have today is (at least) 90% legends, probably more. 70% of those legends are medieval, usually French romances. 19% are modern. The rest are a mishmash of Welsh, Scottish and other, hardly identifiable older stories which have eventually been transplanted onto the Arthur myth. That's the type of story I am trying to get at - more Arthgwr than Arthur. There is magic and fantasy in this story. Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you, because I'd still value your take on it when its finally done.

R

djvdakota
Member # 2002

I think I'd actually be more interested than you might think. It's the Arthurian legends I detest. I enjoy the old stories from whence they came, because I like finding those threads that I can withdraw from Arthur's world. The more of those threads I can remove, by attributing them elsewhere, the closer I get to seeing the real Arthur.

So still keep me on your list.

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Glastonbury Tor....

It's what was AT Avalon, the maze and the buildings and such.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Dakota - I'll keep you on the list then.

Wow, I hope the story lives up to this thread!

JBShearer - it's one theory, certainly the one Glastonbury tourism office would like everyone to believe There are also a lot of analogies with the Celtic otherworld leading to the theory that it was an entirely mythical place, another version of Tir na n-Og.

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited March 18, 2005).]

RFLong
Member # 1923

Just thought I would let people know that the story is posted in F&F now. It's called Elements, (unless I can think of a better title).

Thanks for all your help
R

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.