Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What POV do you use?

Author Topic: What POV do you use?
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Omniscient, cinematic, light penetration, or deep penetration?

I bring this up because I think it's good to be clear on what you're doing.

I never do omniscient: I switch POV characters, but I do it with a section break. I prefer deep penetration. I don't think omniscient is a crime, but I've never had a reason to do it, either.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually do deep third person or first person. I like the idea of filtering the world through a character's eyes.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I like light penetration, but sometimes find myself sucked in deeper than I plan. I write in either first or third, depending on what I feel tells the story the best.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving aside my initial reaction to the term "deep penetration", it's probably what I do. I've written two novels, one in first person, the other in limited third, and, yes, I'm very strict about POV. You get a lot about the viewpoint character - what she thinks, what she sees - but nothing except what she could reasonably observe about other people. I don't have more than one viewpoint character in either book, so there are no POV switches whatsoever.

I don't think of this as a permanent thing, though. I have a book I'm planning to write within the next few years which will be multiple POV (still strict, but with more than one viewpoint), and I've camera's-eye and omniscient stories which I pick up and fiddle with every now and then.

The benefit of starting in strict POV style is that it makes you acutely aware of POV, which I'm hoping will give me the knowledge and discipline to work with a more flexible point of view someday.

[This message has been edited by KatFeete (edited March 20, 2005).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the story (for shorts).

Depends on the scene (for a novel).

I wouldn't touch omniscient. And I doubt I'd go first person for a novel. The former is too hard to keep track of, the latter is too limiting, IMO.

But as far as penetration, in my WIP the pentration (and the POV character) varies from chapter to chapter. But I prefer a book in which the POV character remains consistent throughout a chapter--with some exceptions.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I know too much about my plot, for example on a short story, I may write a scene or even the whole story in omniscient, because I don't yet have a POV character. Once I do, I usually tighten up into either 1st or 3rd on the rewrite.

I notice that when I write in 3rd person, my voice doesn't vary too much from story to story, but when I write in 1st person, I have yet to write two stories which sounded anything alike. I think that's a good thing.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I gravitate toward first person. It started because of reading great first person fiction as a teen. But I'm forcing myself more toward third person now.

I've noticed that many here gravitate toward third person.

I wish OSC had come up with 3PL terms that could not be made into some kind of dirty joke...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's even worse when you write hard-core SF!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
My POV depends completely on what I'm writing... as I've mentioned before, I more or less really don't know what my POV is until I'm already writing it... it's hard to explain, and sounds kinda chaotic to even me... but... that's seems to be the only way I know how to write anything... to just... let it all happen...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Please could you explain the term Omniscient for us lay(wo)men.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by benskia (edited March 22, 2005).]

Its ok guys...i got off my butt and looked it up :

Having total knowledge; knowing everything: an omniscient deity; the omniscient narrator.

[This message has been edited by benskia (edited March 22, 2005).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised Catholic... I have no choice but to know what the word "omniscient" means...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i was raised LDS, but that has nothing to do with my knowledge of language... well, it might have a little, in that it influenced my parents, whose influence then got to me... but anyways, the family i grew up in also loved knowledge and literature...

when you are raised in a family where seeking after omniscience is a primary goal, you kind of know what the word means :P

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.