Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Business of sf/fantasy these days..

Author Topic: Business of sf/fantasy these days..
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I read in OSC's book about writing sf and fantasy that the shorter a story is the better a chance it has to be published in a magazine like Fantasy and Science Fiction or Analag. And also that sf has a better chance to be published than fantasy does, unless it's an urban fantasy with some technology stuff in it.

Does this maxim still hold today? I noticed that the book was written in the early 1990s. I'd love to write short fantasy, but if there isn't a market for it I can hone my skills at writing science fiction, if I have a better chance of being published and noticed in that venue..

Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
there are a lot of other markets besides F&SF, Analog, Asimov's.

That's like limiting your market list to The New Yorker, Harper's, and The Atlantic.

personally, I think writing is way too hard to do unless you're writing the kind of stuff you like. If your only focus is market size, you should probably be writing romance anyway.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be harder for a Fantasy short story to stand out enough to be accepted in a market that handles both fantasy and SF. That's simply because most SF is powered by ideas and most Fantasy is powered by milieu. Idea driven fiction is more workable in the short story form.

And as Beth said, there are other markets. Getting a story published in a predominately SF oriented market is very helpful if you're planning to write SF, but may not be so helpful if you're planning to write Fantasy (not that it will hurt).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the editor of Fantasy and Science Fiction, they see a lot more Fantasy. I wonder if the reason it's easier to sell a SF story is because fewer people are writing them. Or at least, fewer people are writing stories in which the science element must be there as opposed to being simply set dressing.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the best way to sort through my two Writer's Market books to find the smaller publications that print mostly sf/fantasy? Is looking at that box where it says what kind of stories they print (science fiction, mainstream, experimental, etc.) the only way to do it?

Most of the publications I have seen on these forums I've never heard of, especially most of the ones on the who's been published lately board. Is there a better way to sort through?

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

First, narrow down your Writers Market to just one. The one you want is Novel and Short Story Writer's Market 2005. Then use the category index at the back to start storting through the possibilities. It can take a long time; there are many possibilities.

There are several online lists that I find easier to use - www.ralan.com has a good one.

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralan's is becoming an industry standard. About half my submissions come from his site. (he also answers email and questions and has helped me personally several times)

Also SFWA and HWA websites both have links that will lead you to markets.

Besides magazines you can also submit to the anthologies. Competition is fierce for the anthologies even the free ones. But being selected for an anthology is a great feel good boost.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Story Pilot's list too, because it searches and categorizes for you. http://storypilot.com/
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Does anyone have a list like those for children's/YA fiction markets?

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

Do a search on writing for children and you will find several good lists. I like Beverly Shauers list that I rec'd from her course writing for children.

JB Skaggs

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mary, that storypilot is a terrific site. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited March 28, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Thanks, jb! I tried a few other searches and got nowhere, somehow.
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

Wow My magazine is listed on that site (storypilot) with graphics! Cool.

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited March 28, 2005).]

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I immediately added Storypilot to My Favorites!!!!

Thanks so much!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.