Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What are y'all doing on April 29?

Author Topic: What are y'all doing on April 29?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching T.V. yesterday and saw the preview for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! It looks and sounds pretty good.

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

Well, I just figured out what I'm doing a the end of the month. Anyone want to go the movies?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't mentioned that movie on here yet? How the heck did that happen... almost everyone else I talk to is sick of hearing about it...
But I don't care because it's gonna be freakin' sweat!

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually a little concerned about it; I'm not sure how they're going to keep the flavor of the book in a movie. I'd hate to see another good sci-fi novel ruined in a movie production.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried too, because so much of Douglas Adams' humor is in the narrative, and that's difficult to translate onto the screen.

But I'm going to see it, because... well, because it's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, dangit! How could I not?

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessing that they'll probably have a narrator... I can't see that getting completely dropped...
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you're still procrastinating, Jaina. Tsk tsk. Maybe I should knock on your door again and tell you to do your homework, eh?

At any rate, I haven't finished reading Hitchiker's Guide yet, but from what I've read so far, I'll be interested in seeing how they handle it. They'll probably add some visual humor in the place of the written humor. That's what I think anyway.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormlight Shadows
Member # 2471

- posted      Profile for Stormlight Shadows   Email Stormlight Shadows         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I want to see the movie because the book is really funny to read for an abstract mind but when i went back to read it to understand the story I was flabbergastered away from nonsense and I have never picked up the book again. I even didn't like the sequels. Sequels bring the book to life or ruin everything good about the beginning book.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Alan Rickman doing the voice of Marvin?
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It's already on my calendar but thanks for the reminder....it's the one movie I'm really looking forward to watching this year!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Minister and Jaina: Don't Panic!

I believe the Guide was a radio show before it was a book. So in a way it's impossible for the movie to be unfaithful to the book. The book could have been unfaithful to the radio play, but I never heard anyone say so.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
um... I'm sorry, but Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was already MADE into a TV movie/show/somesuch. It was how I stumbled across Douglas Adams. It was a British production I believe, and it would have aired in the early '80's. Is this a new approach? Either way, it should be a hoot.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

If anyone wants to hear the radio shows, email me and I'll find some way to get you the files.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
They'll have "entries" from the Guide itself too explain things. Adams did eventually get around to imagining the Guide as a sort of AV media player with the entries all being combinations of actual footage, computer animations, schematics, and audio narration. So, just like some of the other video versions that have been done, you can do the exposition by putting the "actual" Guide entry up on the big screen in all its wacky, amateurish glory.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited to see this movie. Haven't seen any previews or trailers. Does Zaphod have two heads? Seems to me they could pull it off easily enough with modern SFX.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Beth, yes, there is already a very cheesy, 'B' movie made out of the Hithikers series. I'd say your timeframe is about right. I watched it many years ago and honestly didn't like it all that much, despite loving the books. It wasn't just the special effects, either, although I'm hoping for a touch of realism in this new one, but even the acting was off in my opinion. They didn't take their lines seriously and that's one of the fastest ways to destroy a comedy.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO: The link I posted leads to three trailers. As far as I can tell, Zaphod appears to have one head, but there are some weird shots of a second one flipping up (very hard to tell exactly as it is only shown once in the trailer).
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The book had some differences from the original radio play. The TV show had some differences from both the radio play and the book. That doesn't stop all three from being hilarious. I expect the movie will be, too.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

Jeraliey: yes, that is Alan Rickman. Thank you, I couldn't remember his name to save my life! I was trying to tell my roommate, and all I could say was "It's that guy who played Snape! The one from Sense and Sensibility, you know?" And I couldn't for the life of me come up with his name, and neither could she. It was rather annoying.

You know, he really has the perfect voice for Marvin.

Doc: Thanks for the reminder. I'd heard about that, I think... I was just conerened that it would be like the other movie, which I've heard isn't terribly wonderful. I've never seen it, so I can't say, but from what I've heard, I don't want to see it, either.

[This message has been edited by Jaina (edited April 06, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

I didn't know Alan Rickman was playing Marvin. What great casting! He's got the perfect voice for it...deep and melodious, kind of somber.
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

He's one of my favorite actors EVER.

And I agree...perfect for Marvin. He does bitter really well....ever seen GalaxyQuest? Absolutely cracked me up.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
By Grabthar's Hammer, that was a good movie!

Yes, his neurotic character on Galaxy Quest was exactly what I was thinking of for when he portrays Marvin.

Alan Rickman is definitely on my top ten male actors list. He was the best part of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. IMHO, Kevin Costner was a sniveling idiot, but Alan Rickman's Sheriff was inspired.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

IMHO, he was the only good part in Robin Hood: POT.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the setting of Sherwood forest was beautiful. The river scene takes my breath away just for the gorgeous trees and rocks, not for the acting.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

Yeah, GalaxyQuest was what triggered the thought that I knew that guy. But my roommate has never seen it...
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrible! My wife just informed me that some of her out of town friends are planning to visit 'us' that weekend and will want to be 'entertained'. Which means no writing, no fishing, no working in the garden...and especially no movies.

Somebody go for me and have a big box of popcorn!

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

Oh, no! I'm there for you. Except... not the popcorn. I'm all about the chocolate covered raisins. And Milk Duds. Gotta have Milk Duds. Not sure why.

Hey, here's a bit of Douglas Adams humor that I think you'll all appreciate:

quote:
Writing comes easy. All you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until your forehead bleeds.

Man, that's good no matter how many times I read it!

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, seriously. Maybe that's my problem: I'm not staring at a blank piece of paper long enough. I get it. That makes writing so much easier. It's like a...revelation!
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

- posted      Profile for Kazander42   Email Kazander42         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be testing for high green belt in Taekwondo on April 29. April 30, however, will be all about the Guide!
Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Ooh, fun! Do you get a blue stripe? That's what we did in my school. Best of luck!
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be testing for high green along with him...depending on how late I get out and how tired I am, I might drag my sorry carcass out to see it. Either way, that week is dedicated to the Guide.

If memory serves, we get a blue band through the middle of a green belt instead of a strip taped/sewn over the end. Could be wrong though.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited April 20, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Only one more sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

...If I'm lucky and I get the chance to get out and see it anyway... otherwise, I get to wait until it comes out on video.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm booked in for tomorrow night at 19:20 to see this. I know it won't be as good as the books, but I don't care... I'm happy to see the film adaptation and interpretation of DA's work.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I were planning on going, but then dates got changed around and now I have to get a sonnogram this Saturday and the drive might take a while.

Everything's all right, btw. Just trying to figure out the due date.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

D-Day!!!!!! T-minus 45 minutes and counting!
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaina
Member # 2387

Oh, man, that ROCKED MY WORLD! Of course it wasn't as good as the book, but it was gigantic piles of fun. And only on opening night could you be surrounded by a bunch of people carrying towels... it was wonderful.

Hmm, perhaps we need to add a POV gun to the HUB...

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to stay for the extra bit in the middle of the end credits.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

Oh, curses, I missed that! I'll just have to see it again. Maybe I can convince my dad to go.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.