Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How fast can you go?

Author Topic: How fast can you go?
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit worried that I write to slowly.
By my estimates I seem to be managing about 100 words an hour.
How about you guys?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I go really really really fast, at least on first drafts. 2k/hr when I really get going.

But in order to do that, I need to procrastinate for about 4 hours first, which kind of kills my average time.

And that's just on first drafts. My subsequent drafts are very slow.

But don't worry about it. Whatever pace is natural for you is fine. It's not a race (usually).

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends upon what kind of "mode" I'm in, but 100 words an hour does seem VERY slow for just about any mode...what are you doing during that hour? Is it an hour spent laboring over every word? Are you doing some character development on the side?

When I'm in "I don't care what I write I just want to get it on the page" mode I can write 1000 (thousand) words an hour or more. I've even done that many in half an hour. Granted, I cannot keep this furious pace up for long.

When I'm in "I do care what I write but this is just a rough draft" mode I come in under 1k words an hour, although not much.

When I'm in final draft mode, I try to slow myself down to 500 words an hour and make them all ring right.

But I never go much slower than that in an hour that is actually spent writing (as opposed to thinking, developing, editing, etc.) If I do, it is a clear sign that I am agonizing too hard and actually my work can suffer from that.

A hundred words? That's not many. I've written more than that right here and this post took me about 5 minutes. Actually, I'm up to 218.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends completely on what kind of story I'm writing... if it's something that has a lot of complexities and details, then it might take me a while to get past even close to page, but if it's something a bit more simplistic, then I can have it written and edited in only a few hours...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
When I am 'in the groove' I write about 1500 words an hour, give or take 500. This is usually first draft stuff. I have written up to 3k an hour, but that is not average. Revisions are much harder to quantify because unless I'm typing the whole thing again from scratch, in which case the speed is about the same as first draft, I read a bit, type a bit, brainstorm a bit, type a bit, etc.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Benskia - I write uber slow too. I agonize over every word. Every once in awhile I'll hit a vein and thrash out a dozen pages in one weekend but that's really rare. I probably write about 100 words an hour or less. I've never timed. I just know I glance down after an hour or so and have only a couple sentences.

But if I were to count all the words I erased and rewrote and erased....then it would be significantly higher.

I don't worry about it. I just make sure not to begin querying until I have a completed project. That way I don't have to worry about making a deadline. I can take as long as I need to get it the way I want it.

[This message has been edited by TaShaJaRo (edited April 07, 2005).]

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Maybe i'm so slow because I dont much care for the 1st draft, 2nd draft, nearly finished draft, final draft approach.

I dont like revisiting things very much. I like to move forwards (but prettly slowly i guess lol).

I'm trying to pick all the right words and phrasing on the first run through. Then when I come back to the work I'll even start going back over old stuff in the middle of trying to come up with new parts.

I'm a bit like this with my music compositions too though. Some people write all the music first and then mix / apply EQ / level changes and effects all at the end. I have to do it all as I go along.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
wow. I can't work that way - it's too hard for me to get the basic structure of the story down if I'm worrying about what the words are. and until I get the structure right, there's no point in agonizing over words or paragraphs.

but seriously, whatever works for you. i bet if i timed myself over the full process of writing a story, 100 words per hour would be a good rate.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
::Shrug::

Quality, not quantity.

::Shrug::

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
ben, your methods are very self-torturous, and you're only going eventually be leading yourself very quickly to a nervous break-down... take my word for it... I do the same thing, and I'm completely nuts...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
When things are really flowing, I might get 2000 words in four hours, so that's 500 words an hour. (In individual hours during that time, I might have spiked to 600-700.)

Last night I wrote about 600 words in three hours, so that's 200 words an hour. And this morning I wrote 195 in about an hour. So 200wph is probably my normal writing speed for fiction.

I believe I once spent six hours to end up with 400 words, so that's 67 words per hour, but I don't recommend that.

Of course, my hourly writing speed includes bathroom breaks, snack breaks, stretch breaks, email breaks, Yahoo News breaks, National Review Online breaks, Codex breaks...

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

benskia, you should always do whatever works for you. I do, however, have to question whether or not your method really does work for you. The thing is, I have ocassionally tried to slow down, agonize over every word, and get the first draft perfect. Here's the thing: there's still something wrong with it. There's always something wrong with a first draft no matter how much I agonize.

Stories are more than words, and the right word choice is not the end-all-be-all of story telling. In fact, I find that (for those who have a respectable command of the English language) there is rarely much difference between: Write it like this. and: Write it like that. There are a hundred right ways to form a sentence, a pargarph, a page, and as long as you pick one of those right ways the real punch of the story comes in the story itself.

I find it astonishing that you don't do rewrites due to this careful method. I almost don't believe it. I never rewrite stories because my word choice is off. That's what revision and editing is for, not redrafting. I don't even rewrite stories for the reported moments of boredom, lack of clarity, and lack of beilevability of the reader. That usually just takes some spit and polish.

I rewrite stories because the critiquers come back and say "You characterization needs work." or "This underlying plot element is not believable." or "I think you started at the wrong place." I don't get that last one often anymore, I think I finally figured it out.

Anyway, my point is that I don't see any of these things changing for slowing the pace down to 100 words an hour. I think that would just drive me crazy. Heck, I couldn't write a short story a week at that rate. Even with three revisions and critiquing in between I think I could finish faster, not to mention with a better-refined story.

Now, it may work for you. It really might. Certainly, I never expect that what I do works for everyone nor do I want to get into criticizing people's different habits. I usually wouldn't even comment on something like this except to say maybe, "I do it this way, just for the record." The only reason I did respond like this is because something about it struck me as odd. One hundred words in an hour is not even two words a minute. Given that writing usually comes a sentence at a time rather than a word at a time, that rate does not even make logical sense to me. I can't fathom it. I have to wonder if you're rereading it thirty times, by which time I don't believe you could possibly find a mistake if it were there.

benskia
Member # 2422

Hey Christine.
I probably need to take your advice.
The trouble is i'm not too sure what works properly yet. I've only been serious about writing for about 2 weeks now. And not even finished anything yet.
Maybe I'll change my style, but I'm one of those annoying people who has to find out for themselves that they are doing something wrong, before they believe anybody else first.

I dont doubt for 1 minute that I will have to go back and rewrite or fixup my story when I've finished it. But I'm trying to do as much as I can right the first time around to minimise this as much as possible. The problem is that I may be too impatient. Once I've finished something, I like to move on (not just in writing, my I.T. projects, music ... its just how i like to work). I dont like to keep going back to stuff over and over.

You guys already know that I need to rewrite some of my stuff that I've put in the fragments board. So I'm not saying what I've written so far isn't flawed. I just tried to give it my best attempt and get it as correct as I could on the first go.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I tell you: Things with me were a lot different before computers. I had my IBM Selectric for many years, before finally upgrading that to a electronic version. The latter let me type about 4 lines of text before it insisted on printing it. So, I used to spend a lot of time rewriting pages -- over and over until they were perfect. Then, I'd move on to the next page. Then, I probably averaged about 10 words per hour -- but I type really fast, so that helped the rewriting portion.

It took me a long time to adapt to writing stories on a computer. The urge to self-edit while writing was overwhelming. I stopped writing for several years, partly due to that.

On good days, I typically get about 1500 words an hour -- most of them crap, probably. Most days, I'll do about 800 or so. Some days I get about 100 total words written for that day. (I usually write for 4 hours per day, if I can manage it.) I like to stop every once and while and consider my story options; think about the characters, their lives outside of the story, etc. I'll probably get up and go out into the garden and pull weeds during these moments. This helps me develop the characters a little more, strangely. Sometimes I'll visit Hatrack and offend someone during a quick break. Things vary.

Speed isn't the issue, though. Don't feel as if you need to get a particular amount of words down. Just write.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 07, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I do want to make it clear that in general, speed isn't an issue. HSO is right, just write. I flagged your speed because it seemed like it might be a symptom of another problem....that maybe you weren't "just writing." But don't start shooting for 2k words just because someone else said they could. You'll find your pace.
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine - I like your advice. I've read several different "about writing" books that say not to worry so much about getting it down perfectly the first time. They say that you cannot create and destroy simultaneously. And that makes sense.

Unfortunately, (and I can't speak for Benskia) my slowness is due to an almost obsessive/compulsive need to have each sentence sound just so before I go onto the next sentence. I know that I shouldn't worry about that in the first draft but I didn’t know how to turn it off.

That is actually where Mike's flash challenge helped me a lot. I had not even heard of flash fiction until last weekend when he posted that challenge. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do it but decided to give it a shot. It wasn't the most wonderful thing ever written but I got an entire story down in an hour. I was amazed.

During the challenge, when I would begin to obsess about a word or sentence, I would force myself to just move on because I knew I was on a time limit. So now when I sit down to write a scene, I plan out the gist of what I want to see happen and then I give myself an hour to write the scene. It forces me to ignore that OCD editor in my head and just get the scene down on paper. I’m not successful every time yet, but I’m hoping as I continue to practice that technique that the OCD part of me will eventually learn to wait its turn for the rewrite.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for ways to experiment with writing more in a shorter period of time, I would recommend trying out a flsh challenge, like the one MikeMunsil just started.

This forces you to conceive an idea and write a full story (beginning, middle and end) within a set period of time like an hour or two. The concept is to force yourself to just write and trust that you'll get it mostly right .

I had never tried a flash challenge before last week, but you know what, it was pretty fun and the product quality was pretty good across the board.

I write about 500 to 1000 words per hour, at least for short stories, but I spend several hours before that thinking about the story structure, character voice, etc. I don't like to revise or re-write and usually only go through one, maybe two sweeps.

There isn't so much a right or wrong way when it comes to this, they're just different approaches.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the slow side as well. On average, maybe 400 per hour. I've had days where I've done between 1,000 and 1,500, but then again, I've also had days where I "spent the morning putting in a comma, and the afternoon taking it out." Any of you guys remember who said that?
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I would totally agree with the value of a forced writing exercise to get you moving. And you'd be surprised at how good your fast stuff may turn out to be.

Before I did National Novel Writing Month, I was the kind of person who obsessed over every word and sentence. During that month I had to write 2k words a day, no matter what. I found that when I applied my BIC and just did it, I got done in about two hours. When I did little contests with myself, to see how many words I could write in 20 minutes, then repeat to try and beat myself, I would typically get 500 words in 20 minutes. Since NaNoWriMo, I have found that my speed has not decreased back to where it was before, yet my quality has also not decreased that much. My first drafts are still about as good as they were back when I took forever to write them; in fact, I'd say they are better. And I get more stories written.

Definitely give the flash challenges a shot. If you've never done forced writing exercises flashes are a great way to begin. The advantage there is that someone besides yourself is enforcing a deadline. I rarely stick to self-imposed time limits, but when I have a frame of time to work in that is not of my own choosing, miracles happen.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think 100 words an hour is slow, I read in Writer's Digest that Tim Roth (This is the guy who wrote the Plot Against American, right? Not so sure about the first name) sometimes takes up to six months (!!) to write a single page of his books. Six months. That has to be, what, around 100 words every three months.

I write probably about 1000 words an hour, then an hour later quit writing and scrap my story. It never fails..

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I also find that no matter how good I think my first draft is, as soon asI put it out there for critique, there are always things that need to be changed.

I also don't believe that there is one perfect way to say each sentence. Yes, it is always possible to improve things, but there are several ways to say the exact same thing and it comes down to preference.

Another exercise to try is to take a scene you've already written at your usual pace and re-write it in an hour. Are your language choices that different? Is the quality lacking? After revising the scene a bit, how does the quality compare?

Part of improving as a writer is to work on increasing quality and quantity, imo.

[Isaiah13, I don't know who said that, but it sure is a good quote ]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
spent the morning putting in a comma, and the afternoon taking it out

I'm gonna guess James Joyce...

--Googlepause--

Doh! Oscar Wilde is the answer.

Oh well.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
IF I could get words out of my head as fast as my fingers can pop them out of the keyboard, I COULD do 4000 words per hour.

BUT, actual hourly word output when I'm actively writing is probably closer to the number of words I am able to type in a minute.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I do about 350 words per hour (wph), and all the speed demons on this board make me sick. Tops is about 500 wph. I DO go back and edit while I'm writing, but that's just to give my conscious mind something to do while my unconscious is thinking of what to say next. It isn't what slows me down. (Actually, I think my unconscious mind pre-edits, which is a real pain, because it doesn't do a very good job.)
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what kind of day I'm having. If I'm tired I type slow and make more mistakes (about 40 words per minute--2400 wph). On a good day, I can get up to 6000 wph if I really try. I average about 3600 wph to 4200 wph, though. I'm not the fastest typist in the world, but then again, I'm not the fastest at anything, so I suppose that just makes sense.

I had a teacher once that could type 9000 wph. Now that's fast!

[This message has been edited by Shendülféa (edited April 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Shendülféa (edited April 08, 2005).]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

Guys. Well, I just tried doing the flash thingy. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
It really did force me to get a move on and not 'think' too much about getting everything perfect.

It increased my rate by about 700%.
However, there are plenty of mistakes, duplicated words and even the odd ---oh my god, what's that word when you write something and then say something completely different later on.

But, I was pretty happy with what I wrote. And I reckon it would only take me another hour to fix things. So maybe doing a quick draft first would be better. Hmmmm. some experimentation require methinks.

---oh I just got there - contradiction. That's it.

See. That happens to me all the time. That is why i'm so slow.

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
6000!!! That's insane. Not as insane as 9000, though. Good lord.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
See, all those years of keyboarding class and typing games finally paid off. I used to be one of the slowest typers in my class. Go figure.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I somewhat agree with Jerailey, but then I have a file drawer of partial works of pure genius. On the other hand, I have a complete novel that has vast stretches of bondo that I still need to bang out.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on whether I'm typing or not. On the computer, I can get maybe 1000 to 1200 words an hour IF the story is clear and I don't have to think about it much. With pencil and paper, I can maybe do 400 words. If the story needs to be worked out as I go, then the rate can be considerably lower.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.