Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge # 2 begins...

Author Topic: Flash Challenge # 2 begins...
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Go here: http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=215

Read all the rules carefully before requesting your Flash trigger. This includes the challenge rules and the Interim rules.

Thanks and good luck.

Post questions here or there, if you have any. IMPORTANT: But do not email your questions. Use the boards.

--HSO

EDIT: thanks go out to autumnmuse for helping to choose this week's material. Address all complaints to her.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll post some Questions and Answers here:

Q: How long does it take after I send an email until I receive the flash topic email?

A: HSO in London and Mike in Texas have tested it several tims, and as a result we expect you to receive the return email within minutes. We are using a major internet provider service to handle the auto-reply, so we expect the service to be reliable.

Q: Why did the rules change so much?

A: They are interim rules and we have (hopefully) learned from our mistakes! We expect this version to work better. Well, at least we hope it will.

mikemunsil

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 08, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

More Q&A:

Q: Okay, so I have 1.5 hrs to write my story. Does that mean I need to email the finished story back before the time limit is up?

A: Yes. If you're story is later than 1.5 hrs, then it will be disqualified from the vote. It will still be posted, however, as a disqualified entry. And you will still receive critiques and comments.

Q: What format do I send my story in?

A: Good question. Acceptable formats are: .txt, .doc, and .rtf, or embedded into an email. If you choose to embed your file into the email, be sure to add extra line breaks between paragraphs. This will make it easier on us. Also, if going for embeds or .txt, find a way to show Italics. A typical way is to use an underscore, such as: _this is italicized text_, but this isn't.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused. When I clicked on the link to get the e-mail, there are two problems:

1. Your spam protection is too good. I cannot read the e-mail address on the image no matter how big I blow it up. It's Greek to me.

2. There are additional rules, some contradictory, some just more. I assume that the stuff about the honor system and 8:00 Monday due time are void since you've done this auto-mail system now, but what about the things like must be suitable for children under 13?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited April 08, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
What? We can only write stories that are suitable for kids?
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Does it say that? I didn't notice that.

*checks*

Hey, it does say that. Mike when did you add that in, and why? That's a bit too restrictive, in my opinion.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Suitable for Under 13 issue:

OK, I modified it. It was in there to protect me because most of you are not registered members,and thus you have not agreed to my terms for posts to the board, which include that you state that you are 13 years old or older. It now asks you to include a note in the subject line of your response to the effect that it contains over 13 materials. That way we can add it to the subject line of the post on Liberty Hall.

Regarding the legibility of the email address issue:

Christine, I forgot about your difficulty. I apologize. I will email you the email address under separate cover.

Regarding the 08:00am times issue. That stays the same. Check on Liberty Hall for the local time zone of the Moderator. It is given to you in the Flash Topic. Since you have most of Friday, and all of Saturday and Sunday to select a time to write, I have no qualms about forcing you to meet the Moderator's local time. I placed a link to a time zones calculator AND a map on Liberty Hall to make it easy to correlate the Moderator's times to your time. So, plan ahead.

Note: HSO is at GMT+1, I believe. If not that, then probably GMT 0.

mikemunsil

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 08, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I got your e-mail. Thanks, Mike.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

ah, thanks for clarifying the 13 thing.
HSO
Member # 2056

I'm actually at GMT 0. I noticed my hotmail account was saying GMT -1 or +1 and I've fixed that.

I'm definitely GMT 0.

Basically, I'm 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. This means, for the US, entries are due by:

EST: 0300
CTL: 0200
MTN: 0100
PAC: 2400

Plan accordingly, you must start at least 1.5 hrs before the due time, preferably earlier. (I think I have that right... if not, would someone please correct me. Thanks.)

EDITED to assuage anyone's fears. As noted below, the contest is running from now until the Monday 0800 GMT. Sending your request means you are ready to start the challenge. It also starts the timer that same moment. You will actually have LESS than 1.5 hrs -- but only a few minutes less, save for a glitch.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 08, 2005).]

benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no.
You can start anytime you like now - or over the weekend.
The plans weren't all that clear about when you should submit.

You can send the e-mail whenever you like from now until about 6.30am on Monday.

But you MUST send your submission back within 1.5 hours of getting the e-mail that tells you the subject / picture - whatever is in it.

Dont send off for the e-mail now and then wait until 8am on Monday to send your story. Whatever you do!!

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

edited my above post...

We've also clarified the rules in the Challenge topic, as well as the Interim Rules topic. Just FYI.

By the way, we currently have 3 completed stories, and several people under way as I type.

Good luck to all authors, and many thanks to all participants (authors and voters) for making this a pretty cool thing.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my story as a reply to the email you sent. Let me know if you don't get it. It was pretty long for a flash, but I guess I just got carried away.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I had trouble with this one. It took me half an hour to get half a dozen sentences strung together. Oh well, it's done now.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

It isn't easy. If it were, we wouldn't call it a challenge. I am going to try this one also, and I only hope that I don't embarass myself too much. On the other hand, every time I flash, I learn something. It's worth it.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Bump.

We have 6 so far.

HSO
Member # 2056

As of 0857 GMT, we have eight (8) entries. Not bad at all for the first day.

Just a quick point: Remember to give your flashes titles. Do they need a title? No. But it helps.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

And, fortunately, it seems our auto-reply system delivering the trigger word is working well. Can't wait for a completely automated system...

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 09, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

so the submissions get posted on a publicly-accessible web site? Doesn't that count as publication, even if they're deleted later?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Not if they're removed and then revised extensively. As I would expect these to be. But if you have any doubt at all, just don't flash.
Beth
Member # 2192

thanks for clarifying!
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Bump.

Looks like we have 9 now.

HSO
Member # 2056

Final day. We've got 10 entries so far. One more than last time. Anyone else up for the challenge?
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to read everyone's entries. This has been a lot of fun.

I also hope that people who participate in the flash challenges won't let their stories collect dust, but instead polish them up and submit them for publication!
(Note: must take own advice )

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Other writers I know who regularly participate in flash often publish them after revision. There's just something about the sheer creativity and the stripped-down writing that results in some really good writing, especially after revision.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.