Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who had filled the shoes of... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who had filled the shoes of...
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me none of these stories were about "evil" societies. They were all about societies who found that thinking for yourself takes hard work, and individuals will sacrifice a lot to avoid that work.

I have to go on record as disagreeing with that assessment. Sure, the various rulers of those fictional societies exploited the fact that most humans don't really think for themselves, and they certainly demanded the sacrifice of the individual. But the society at large didn't understand the difficulty of independent thought, and the individuals sacrificed didn't offer themselves up to avoid being dissenters.

And to say that none of those societies were "evil" is merely to say that you don't believe anything is "evil". That is about your personal ethical system, it has nothing to do with a discussion of the stories themselves.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And you might be lumping the complex ideas I have expressed into the word "bashing" because it is easier than thinking about them.

Yes, I might, if you were expressing anything more complex than "People in America these days are too cowardly and/or fearful and/or unthinking to challenge U.S. political authorities by producing and/or appreciating a contemporary equivalent to Orwell, Huxley, et al."

The point I've been trying to make is that willingness to challenge U.S. political authorities is not necessary to producing a contemporary Orwell. To think that U.S. political power is the only thing in the world able to provide a target for important social criticism sounds very much like a cookie-cutter leftist idea, rather than the "thinking for yourself" that you say is important.

No, I don't think the U.S. is perfect, and I do believe there is a need for criticism of U.S. political power. But there are other things in the world that deserve criticism as well, which could provide the fodder needed by a new Orwell or Huxley.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.