Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Lamentations

Author Topic: Lamentations
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bringing up this topic to discuss the use of humor in writing. Specifically, the use of a particular style of writing to talk about something totally incongruous to it. For example, go here: http://parents.berkeley.edu/jokes/lamentations.html

That is truly hilarious. Other examples are things like HSO's rewrite of his own writing sample in F&F.

Have any of you done things like that or want to try? I don't know, it justs sounds fun to me. But I'm not sure I could pull it off myself.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
That was just too funny. How many people saw the face(s) of their own begottens in the act of receiving this from on high?

I'm not sure I could do this type of thing either, but I could certainly amuse myself for hours trying

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you soooo much for posting this link. The author was on Prarie Home Companion years ago and it's one of the few times I actually dropped to my knees I was laughing so hard. He had the perfect liturgical delivery.

I don't think I've tried this sort of pastiche, on the written page, but I have done it on stage. It's hard there, but I think one of the reasons it's harder on the page is because you have to rely completely on language to set the tone. On stage you can use inflection and body language to convey that it's humorous. Even there, we talk about "giving the audience permission to laugh." There has to be a moment when they realize that something is supposed to be funny and then they can laugh. Witness the trouble with my rewrite of HSO's piece on F&F...

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously written by a parent of a toddler. Too funny and too in the know not to have been. Thanks for posting that. I'm fascinated by humor of many sorts, but have little ability to produce it on the page (and I rarely tell jokes when I'm preaching either; one of those things that's better left undone if you don't do it well). I'm working on humor in the occassional flash challenge; I'll get the hang of writing it someday, perhaps. Any specific experiments that you have in mind, keep me informed.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found the audio of this, if anyone is interested. http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/19980124/rafiles/19980124_lamentations_14.ram
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
hrm. for some reason that link isn't working for me...
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

It made me download the latest RealPlayer software. Maybe that's it?
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
must be. i use firefox and have software installs disabled.
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm printing this out and sticking on the fridge.

From now on it will be law in our house!

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.