Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who was it...

Author Topic: Who was it...
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
...who said their WIP was a 'soft fantasy' with no typical fantasy elements, more an alternate universe kind of story set in a pre-industrial, possibly medieval type setting?

Minister? Goatboy? Who?

Mine is similar and I was wondering if you'd consider exchanging chapters a bit.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that was Rick Fisher's Pandir Uncloaked.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not the person who mentioned this to you, but I have a WIP of the type you mention. I would be happy to exchange a few chapters for critique. Of course, I understand if you were looking for a particular individual.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a WIP along those lines, though it hasn't had much attention lately. I think I've mentioned it on these boards, but I think someone else mentioned something along those lines more recently.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I THINK it was Minister. It's been a while ago.

My finished first draft WIP has been sitting doing nothing for quite some time, and I think it's time to get it going again.

What I'm looking for is a mutual motivation society. We don't have to work fast. Just work and exchange, bounce ideas off each other. That kind of thing.

So Dude? Minister? Both? What'cha think?

Minister
Member # 2213

I would be _delighted_ to work with you again. Your feedback has alwasy been valuable, and your work is enjoyable. I can't promise anything over the next few days (things are a little crazy right now; even crazier than usual), but it sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I'm not in a hurry either. Just something I'd like to do--carry on a dialogue with someone who writes in a similar genre (which, by the way, we need to come up with a snappy name for). It just isn't the same to have a sci-fi nut read my chapters that he's not particularly interested in.

Looking forward to it. Sometime. Any time. Whenever.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Describe "soft fantasy" for me....

My stuff might fit into your niche. It's medieval in theme, not pre-industrial. I've got about 8 chapters of my novel just about ready to be sent out for a first critique.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
That could have been me, too. Mine isn't medieval, and it's more non-industrial than pre-industrial, but there are definitely no typical fantasy elements (no fantasy elements at all except alternate worlds, which are just as much sf as fantasy, and knives and horses). I think you already read what I have of it.

But I've gotten delayed a bit.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Wow! The Soft Fantasy Club! SFC!
Dude. Minister. Elan. Rickfisher. Dakota. The Magnificent Five! Four Guys and a Doll! Anyone else?

Y'all interested in doing some low-key (and I MEAN low key as I work very slowly), low pressure (as in, I send you a chapter and you take as much time as you need to get to it) exchanges? Just kinda, "Hey, Minister, I just finished a chapter. Could you read it for me?" Or, Hey, rickfisher, what would you think if I killed off character Z who everyone seems to love so much? Would I kill my story along with him?" That sort of thing.

I just think it might be valuable to have the specific feedback of someone writing in the genre rather than posting for just anyone on F&F.

Whatcha think? Who's in?

Minister
Member # 2213

I'm in. *looks furtively from side to side, then in a bad imitation of old B-movie gangster* What's the plan, doll? *clears throat and goes back to normal. Or as normal as normal ever gets for him*
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game. If anyone has a stray chapter they want looked at -- send it my way. Just for the record, my email of choice is fsilv01s@uis.edu.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that should be three guys and two dolls.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Instead of describing me as a "doll" you could call me a Babe In Total Control of Herself.

I'm also up for "low-key" as I am preparing to begin a new job and it is simply a maniac's pace right now at the old job while I transition out. Plus I have a writing assignment I am committed to finishing before I do any more critiques. But I'm up for some group love. (and constructive bashing.)

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 18, 2005).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can handle low-key. If it turns out not to be low enough I can change my mind, right? I mean, I figure that wouldn't be any worse than saying no to start with.
Elan
Member # 2442

Well, these are all a rousing group of enthusiastic commitments!
rickfisher
Member # 1214

LOL!

If I were high-key, I'd have finished 10 novels by now.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

LOL!!

Deepest apologies to Elan--SHE-lan. And yes, we are enthusiastic--just very slowly! And a definition: Soft Fan-ta-sy: Noun; A story consisting of non-real elements (such as author constructed worlds, clultures, etc.), but that is largely (LARGELY may mean 'completely' or 'mostly') devoid of the typical hard fantasy elements such as dragons, elves, wizards, magic, dwarves, fairies, etc.

GREAT!

Dude--guy
Rickfisher--guy
Minister--guy
Elan--babe in total control of herself
Dakota--doll just barely hanging on to control over ANYTHING!

Rick, no contracts here, no signing in blood, no oaths or covenants. I'm as low key as they get.

Minister, the plan...plan? Am I supposed to have a plan?

OK. Maybe...well...hmm...

Ah, heck. Just put everyone in your address book and send at your leisure.

Maybe, however, it would be a good idea to start with a short (like one page) synopsis of your 'soft fantasy' WIP. Write it up, send it to everyone. After that, whatever.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited May 19, 2005).]

Elan
Member # 2442

Hmm. Well, you guys can decide if my stuff is soft fantasy or hard fantasy. It might be simply poached, I'm not sure.

My story is a medieval setting, alternate world. There IS magic to it, but the magic we use is an exaggerated form of the stuff you will find in real life. Things like astral travel, remote viewing, energy healing, and such. So far no fireballs, although I can't promise we won't eventually go there.

We have no elves, dwarves, dragons or other Tolkien or Dungeons & Dragons fare.

Still interested?

Elan
Member # 2442

Oh. And what the heck is a "WIP"?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Work In Progress
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

That occurred to me after I posted. Ok... just getting up to speed with all the acronyms. I should catch on quickly - I used to work for the government.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Sounds OK to me, Elan. Just as long as you don't resort to the age old fantasy device of the magic only working when it's convenient.

"Sorry, Frodo," says Gandalf. "I can only use my magic when you DON'T need it."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.