Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Concerning the writing process..

Author Topic: Concerning the writing process..
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I've got a few questions that I'd like to ask.

First: Does outlining count as writing? For instance, I type all my stories in Word. I generally outline them first one notebook paper before I turn on the computer. If all I did one day was work on my outline, but didn't type any of it into my current draft, would that qualify as writing? Weird question, I know.

Second: How do people write without an outline? I'm working on a story right now which I haven't outlined to the degree I normally like, and I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of things for my main character to do that will advance the story the way I want it to advance. I've written about 1/4 a page in an hour, but I've written that 1/4 page about thirty different times.

Do I just not have what it takes to be a writer? Or should I stick to thinking out my stories for weeks or longer, using index cards to plot scenes, and pretty much get my entire story worked out on paper before I start typing my first draft? I know writers such as Ray Bradbury wrote without an outline, and they produced some of the great fiction I've read. I don't know how they do it; I guess I just can't right now.

Third: Why do people hate TV so much when it comes to being a writer? I enjoy watching TV, and I admit I'm a bit addicted. But during commercials, and even during the shows I watch, my "idea net" is always open. I got a decent idea for a detail in my SF world tonight from a cruise liner commercial and wrote it down. Could my reliance on TV to get my ideas flow be restraining my creativity, thus exacerbating my problem in my second question? Argh.

I had to type something, becuase after this last hour, I've only gotten about 50 words written. This post has to be a thousand. Thanks for reading all of it. ;o

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
First: Yes.

Second: Everyone's different. I go back and forth on whether I outline or not; right now I'm in an outline phase. If outlining works for you, go with it. Bradbury is not an outliner; there are a gazillion other famous and fabulous writers who are obsessive outliners. I'm reading the Paris Review interview series right now and that comes up a fair bit - there are those who need every word planned out in advance, and those who have no idea what the next sentence is going to say. You just need to play around until you figure out what works for you.

Third, I love TV. Especially reality shows. I procrastinate by watching TV. I got hooked on reality TV one summer when I was writing a wretched novel - I'd go watch Bachelorettes in Alaska instead. God, that was awful.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
First: Yes
Second: Ditto, Beth, (except the bit about Paris Review Series)
Third: I rarely watch TV. I don't hate TV per se, but I can't stand frenetic editing, bad dialogue, wooden acting or cliche's. There's lots of good television that doesn't have those, I'm just not willing to wade through the other stuff to find it. We rent, or tape the shows we're interested in.

The other side of that is that I like having my imagination engaged, which a book does, but TV paints so much of the picture that there is little left for me to do. I find that hypnotizing, but not engaging.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 23, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to the yes/no answers.

I write without major outlines. I might put simple plot points down and have a vague idea of the ending. If I once can visualize the way the story should end, I can type my way through the middle without a lot of additional planning. This applies mostly to shorts, by the way. I have only attempted one novel and it didn't work, so I am trying to figure out more about my personal style of writing before attempting one again.

As far as TV goes, there are some great shows and some TERRIBLE shows. Personally, I like to watch Monk, some of the shows on HGTV, and Survivor (yes, I know. A lot of people hate that one. But I like learning what it teaches about human nature.) I would have liked to have watched Battlestar Galactica and Lost, but only found out about both of those recently and I don't like to jump in in the middle. I'll have to wait for them to come out on DVD. I also plan on watching season 2 of The 4400 this summer.

However, I cannot watch TV and write at the same time. I can multitask on a lot of things, but writing isn't one of them. I totally block out everything around me the second my fingers touch the keys.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GeorgeCousineau
Member # 2594

- posted      Profile for GeorgeCousineau           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there.

First: Yes. In my opinion, this absolutely counts as writing. I'm much the same. I think it's especially important to have an end in sight. If I didn't outline, then I'm sure my plot would end up all over the place. However, it is hard to 'outline' characters; they only truly come to life in the 'proper' writing of the piece.

Second: Spend as much time planning and plotting as you like. A 1/4 of a page in an hour is good, anyhow. And the fact that you've rewritten it three times is nothing to worry about; it simply shows that you care about your craft.

Third: There's nothing wrong with watching some television, but don't let it interfere with your writing. And don't neglect reading!!! No one can expect to be a good writer if they don't read frequently.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome
Member # 2584

- posted      Profile for Jerome           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I consider the "pre-writing" stage writing. You have to remember that writing fiction has two elements--the story, and the writing itself. Just because you aren't writing dialogue and scenes doesn't mean you're not writing.

Yes, I outline. It's a strange process, mixed with what I learned from David Morrell, John Irving, and Robert McKee. Basically, it this. I start by keeping a "story diary" in which I alternate between my writing down my ideas and asking questions about by ideas. While doing this, I start writing out scene ideas on 3x5 cards--one or two sentences of what happens in that scene. Nothing major. Within 4 to 6 weeks everything comes together and I have a scene outline--somewhere between 40 and 60 scenes. I take this scene outline and try to write a 4 page synposis because I want to make sure I have the basic story firm in my head. If I can't do it in 4 pages, how can I do it in 400? Once I do that, I turn around and work my way through the scene outline, expanding each scene into a paragraph or two, showing the movement of the characters, briefly noting what they talk about, and so forth. Nothing too specific. This is what I call my Major Treatment. Once this is done, I start my first draft.

My analogy to all of this is like ironing. Each time I pass through the story I'm able to iron it out--make it clearer in my head. If you look at my process, I've already told the story three times in three different ways before I get to my first draft, and I found that each pass through the story makes it better. I won't hold firm to my Major Treatment if an idea present itself to me during the drafting stage, but I found having a Treatment to guide me alows me to focus on writing during the first draft, not so much the story.

I've also found the secret to outlining a novel is that you MUST know the ending. Everything in the novel sets up the ending. If you don't have an ending, you don't have a story.

Do YOU need to outline? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Each writer is different. But before you become too frustrated, I'd encourage you to read Lawerence Block's WRITING THE NOVEL. It helped me a lot.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited May 23, 2005).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome
Member # 2584

Let me add a couple more things about outlining.

Remember, not everyone needs to outline. Different writers work differently. There's no right or wrong way to work. Getting the story written is the only way to measure success.

What I said about endings is very important. You have to remember that there are only THREE possible endings to any story. (1) Postive: The hero gets what he wants and is happy. (2) Negative: The hero fails to get what he wants and is unhappy. (3) Ironic: The hero gets what he wants, but is unhappy.

(1) Luke wants to learn the way of the force, and he does, and it helps him destory the Death Star, and he's happy.

(2) In Stephen King's PET SEMETARY, Louis uses the old Indian burial ground to bring his dauther's cat, then his son, and finally his wife back from the dead . . . and this makes him unhappy.

(2) In ENDER'S GAME, Ender saves the world from the buggers, but is saddened by his success.

I suppose you could add a fourth--the hero doesn't get what he wants, and this makes him happy--but that seems to lack dramatic fulfillment.

So find your ending, and then work backwards.

Also, one of the arguments against outlining is that it stifles creativity. I haven't found this to be so. Of course, I operate under two principles. (1) Nothing is set in stone until I finish a revision of my first draft. At some point in time I have to say, "It is finished," but no matter how much outlining I've done, I allow myself to deviate if I can think of something better.

That brings me to number 2, and here I'm going to quote from Robert McKee's STORY:

quote:
The writer . . . wants to destory his work. Taste and experience tell him that 90 percent of everything he writes, regardless of his genius, is mediocre at best. In his patient search for quality, he must create far more material than he can use, then destory it. He may sketch a scene a dozen different ways before finally throwing the idea of the scene out of the outline. He may destory sequences, whole acts. A writer secure in his talen knows there's no limit to what he can create, and so he trashes everything less than his best on a quest for a gem-quality story.

Even if you don't outline, the above quote should be a guiding principle for every writer.

I know this is long . . . but I hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited May 23, 2005).]

Jerome
Member # 2584

Actually, the PET SEMETARY example is a good example of an ironic ending: Louis gets what he wants, and is unhappy.

I can't thing of an example of a negative ending--that the character fails to achieve his goal, and that makes him unhappy. I suppose that kind of failure doesn't make good long fiction.

Anyone have any ideas?

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you keep rewriting the next chunk, you aren't ready to write it yet. You don't know what happens next. If you want an outline, sure, use it! It sounds like a good time to go pacing and inventing.

I used a scene-by-scene outline for my novel. I couldn't have done it otherwise. I haven't used this for short fiction, but that's because there were few enough scenes I could know what was going to happen without writing it down.

But, sure, give up on writing! If you can't, you're a writer. (That's what I hear, anyway.)

--

A story with an unhappy ending: "A Good Man is Hard to Find," by Flannery O'Connor. There is one nice thing at the end, but it's overwhelmingly tragic. Also "Good Country People" and "The Life You Save May Be Your Own."

I think a lot of horror also does this.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 23, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Thanks all for the responses. I've gotten over the writer's block I had last night. Right now I've gotten 5 scenes plotted down on notecards, and I'm using a character book by Noah Lukeman to really get inside my character's minds.

"But, sure, give up on writing! If you can't, you're a writer. (That's what I hear, anyway.)"

That's probably the best quote I've seen in a while. Every time I quit writing I keep coming back. I don't know if that makes me a writer, yet, but I'm on my way. I think.

JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey take a step back and relax. Writing is not a contest to see who is best. Verybody makes mistakes (LOL see!) It sounds like that your at that stage where you are becoming more concerned about trying to have a perfect story rather than just writing a story. If it is sucking the joy out of your writing- then forget about perfect stories-just write, you can always edit later. But don't lose your joy of writing. Seriously cause if you frustrate yourself long enough, you'll grow tired of writing.

Writing is like having a child. You dont get made at three month old cuz she can't walk. You have to let yourself grow at a pace that is natural and fulfilling for you.

This is something that happens to many artists- the desire to be great instantaneously. And when it doesn't happen we get flustered and sometimes depressed.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddy Gemmell
Member # 2581

- posted      Profile for Eddy Gemmell   Email Eddy Gemmell         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's plan, plan, plan. That's just me. I know Bradbury says never plan and never edit, for me that's madness. I'm not knocking his approach (I'd be an idiot to do so obviously) but I wouldn't get anywhere without planning.

So, yes, planning for me is an essential part of writing.

TV? I watch less and less as the years go by. You may get some ideas but is it worth it? Why not observe real life? Do you really think anyone of TV is acting naturally? (anwser = NO!). Be it a drama or a fly on the wall show, it's all controlled and flat for me.

Read, read and read. It's far more revealing to see how another writer views the world in the way they expose characters flaws and foibles. Lois Bujold is taking up my reading time at the moment. Her prose is startlingly vivid in its depiction of human emotions and interaction. In fact it's depressingly good!

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome
Member # 2584

Bradbury said never edit? I think you're confusing him with Heinlein. In his book ZEN AND THE ART OF WRITING Bradbury talks about trying to capture the essence of the story in a fast, off-the-top-of-your-head writing session . . . and then trying to keep that essence as the story goes through eight or nine rewrites.

Robert Heinlein has his five rules of writing, and one of those rules (the third one, I think) says, Do not edit. But from what I've read, he doesn't mean one should revise or rewrite, but that once a story is complete, don't start changing it unless an editor ask you to. He could have made himself a bit clearer on this point, to be sure.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited May 24, 2005).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
First: What do you think? Other people's opinions don't really matter in situations like that. Does outlining count to YOU?

Second: I don't outline, in general. I tried to do the notecard thing with my novel, but it just changes too much while I write. And I like the changes better than the planned stories.

Third: I stopped watching TV in college, and I'm convinced it made me a better person. Now that I'm home for a bit, I've gotten to watching more. However, I try to make sure I'm also doing something else while I watch TV, so I don't waste quite as much of my life as I would otherwise. I love Scrubs and the Daily Show, as well as all those makeover and cooking shows. And there were a couple of other shows I wanted to see (like Gray's Anatomy), but I never got around to them, and I guess fortunately, never got sucked into them.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
1. um... there aren't many ways to re-tell you "yes"... so... um... yes...

2. I almost never use an outline... honestly, I usually don't know what's going to happen 'til it happens. Writing for me is just as exciting as reading someone else’s work. How do I do it? Well... that's harder to explain without you actually being in my head...

3. I don't know... I could never figure that one out. Some say it kills your originality, but then you could just as easily say that about books and anything else. I actually get a lot of ideas from playing video games... which I usually find odd because the games I play are strategy games that have almost no, if any, story line... any storyline that it does have comes completely from my head, the game's objective only served as a tool...

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited May 24, 2005).]

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Learning from well-written dialogue on TV can be something good you can get out of watching. The snappy, clever dialogue on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and ANGEL was one of the main reasons I loved those shows.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

Kathleen, have you watched any episodes of the West Wing, particularly the first few seasons? Aaron Sorkin wrote all the dialogue for that show, and I consider it some of the best I've seen.

Whit Stillman, who directed and wrote The Last Days of Disco, Barcelona and Metropolitan, also writes excellent dialogue.

I'll have to look for Angel and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Not normally my type of show to watch, but if the dialogue is good and I can learn something, I'm all for it. Thanks for the reference.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
cklabyrinth, I'm one of those who doesn't watch much TV at all, so, no, even though I've heard good things about WEST WING, I've never watched it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorkin's dialogue in the early West Wings is truly wonderful, I recommend it for aspiring writers. His story structures sometimes have holes and his wandering POV would be incomprehensible in written prose. But his dialogue is priceless.

SPONTANEOUS TANGENT:

Personally, I wish all writers of television speculative fiction would study the West Wing, but for its characters, not for its dialogue. West Wing characters behave and speak like competent professionals. In contrast, characters on all the Stargate shows, Farscape, Andromeda, Enterprise, and Voyager are all cartoon characters. No rational civilization would allow these unprofessional whiners to keep their jobs.

The new Battlestar Galactica has a handful of competent professionals. But they stand as lonely beacons of maturity in a wasteland of juvenile delinquents.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In contrast, characters on all the Stargate shows, Farscape, Andromeda, Enterprise, and Voyager are all cartoon characters.

GASP! How dare you lump Farscape in with those other shows! Arrgh.

I'll concede to some rather silly characters, but that's the whole idea of Farscape. It never took itself serious, even when it was being serious. Alas, we have different tastes.

I've seen precisely one episode of West Wing. Didn't like it. But then I hate all things political and especially politicians among those. I would not be heartbroken if someone invented and used a weapon that could only kill politicians. (That's a bit harsh, sure... I don't mean that literally. But I really don't like or trust politicians.)

I suppose politics is a necessary evil. Doesn't mean I like it. Grr, politics. Grr.

And no more beating up on Farscape. Great show. Perhaps an acquired taste.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched all those shows, and I don't remember ever having watched The West Wing, but I have watched a couple of the shows you mention and I have no idea what you're talking about.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Outlining absolutely counts as writing. So does research if you're writing it down in longhand on 3x5s or in a notebook. I think daydreaming also counts as writing as long as you're daydreaming about your story, trying to visualize it in your head to the point where it's so clear it's just begging to be put down on paper.

quote:
Robert Heinlein has his five rules of writing, and one of those rules (the third one, I think) says, Do not edit. But from what I've read, he doesn't mean one should revise or rewrite, but that once a story is complete, don't start changing it unless an editor ask you to. He could have made himself a bit clearer on this point, to be sure.

Yeah, it would have been nice. I read an article from Writer's Digest Guide to Good Writing (it's a collection of essays on various topics that spans the entire life of the magazine and I highly recommend it) by Isaac Asimov on the subject of rewriting and it mentions Heinlein's approach.

In it, he describes how he started off by writing one draft to get the story down, writing a second draft that corrected any mistakes made in the first, and that was all.

One day, he and Heinlein were talking about writing and he mentioned that this was his method of rewriting. Heinlein was appalled. He declared he only wrote one draft: if there were any mistakes in Asimov's first drafts, it was because he wasn't a very good writer (I'm sure Asimov punched up Heinlein's reaction for humorous effect). So, Asimov started trying to write "only one draft". All his stories sucked and he hated it.

Then, he talked to another writer (the name eludes me at the moment) who said that he rewrote his manuscripts several times until every phrase, every word was perfect. He was appalled that Asimov was trying to get it right the first time. This writer told Asimov that sometimes a manuscript needed to be gone over 10, 20 or even 30 times before it was ready for publishing.

So, Asimov -- having already realized the futility of the "one draft" solution for his writing -- decided to try this other author's approach. It was almost as bad as the "one draft" approach: nothing was ever good enough and the process exhausted him.

So, he ended up going back to his original style: two drafts, one for story, one for neatness. That was where he found happiness.

His point in the (very funny) essay was that everyone has their own style and a writer needs to find out what works for them.

As for me, I'm learning that outlines are a good thing. If I have an outline I know where I'm going and I know what I need to foreshadow and stress from the beginning. It makes rewriting a lot easier.

However, I tend not to do this with my shorter stories. I just write whatever comes to mind and hope the story stays short.

TV: My TV addiction is erratic. About the only thing I watch regularly is the late-night news. Other than that, I'll watch PBS specials/shows and an occasional episode of regular TV's "hottest, new show" just to see what the hype is about. 90% of the time I hate it and never watch another episode. Even if I like it, I rarely get a chance to watch it again.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'll shut up now.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverfoot
Member # 2608

- posted      Profile for Silverfoot   Email Silverfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Julia Cameron talks about the idea of 'filling the well' in her books on creative recovery. For me that means taking time for the things that get me dreaming and enjoying the creative process again, whether that means watching tv, reading a book, listening to music or sitting through a movie. All of it fills my creative well with images and emotions so how can that be wrong? If it works for you then use it. Everyone fills their well differently.
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your third paragraph is your real question--do I have what it takes?

Who knows if you have what it takes? I bet you do, but you're reading your block wrong. I used to read block as "you suck" and "you don't have it" and "you just can't learn this gift." That's not what it means.

You're blocked because you are either trying to be perfect (write this killer story of all time), or because you've run to the end of your invention--you don't care anymore or don't believe what you're writing.

My suggestion--just start making lists of options to your immediate story problem. Ask yourself questions. What's missing? Do I not believe this or not care? What don't I myself buy? Etc. Sooner or later the damn will break and you'll write like a madman until you run to the end of that batch of invention.

Here's an answer to your outline question, which, to me, is, well, kind of odd. Because you're not asking about outlines. You're wanting so badly to write and meet some goal and want to count outlining so you can tell yourself you're writing. [Have I guessed right?]

Here's a way to look at writing that I find beneficial. It's takes. like with the movies.

When I write, I've found a method that goes from general to specific. It's all writing to me because I'm getting the story down. It goes like this.

I'm doing some reading, or watching a show, or any number of things and get something with some zing. An image, person, or situation. Usually, I've got other cool ideas floating around that I've stumbled across in just the same manner.

Sooner or later I start making connections with these cool ideas and scribble some ideas on a paper about a situation.

That's take 1.

Take 2. I try to outline what might happen. If story is about a character solving some danger/problem, then I try to define it, define some of the attempts to resolve. I'll get snatches of dialogue or images. Usually don't feel quite ready to write at this point. And I find if I don't have a rough idea of what's supposed to happen in a scene I can't write. Don't need a super-detailed outline. Just need to know the purpose of a scene.

Take 3. If something's not right, I try it again. I might write, asking questions about what's not working etc. All this goes into the take. If I get stuck I try again.

take 4-?. I start the draft, the scene. Sometimes it goes for a while and I get blocked. Sometimes I'll write a story or chapter in two takes. Sometimes in 26. But eventually I get it.

Let me recommend a book to you. Dwight Swain's Techniques of Selling Writers. He talks about process there and story and I've found it to be one of the three most helpful books (meaning I immediately saw application and ideas) to me. Eloise McGraw's Techniques of Fiction Writing also has a good description of the process.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me refer you to an example of this take method demonstrated by Orson Card: http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1998-10-29.shtml

Notice how he goes from summary to scene. I've found a lot of mine do that as well. Here's an example of a chapter from my last novel. You'll see my outlines are NOT clean, crisp outlines. Sometimes I can do a step outline. But often I'll be talking to myself.

-----------------------------------------
Take 1
So SM comes in
Torr is found
Sm reaction--where are they? Here, but gone
Set up a watch
Questions Torr--the creature etc.
Works on the Iron Serpent, or quickens it, has a gauntlet to work with it.
They wait. Nothing.
Then Dreadman comes, they're dead.
Shegom? Hiding something
He goes out
Creature drops down behind him, between him and his serpent (silver and skin and flashing, but we only see it later) MORE HUMAN, SOLID, THE COLOR OF DIRT AND BLUE STONE
Stones and shegom
Wind rising, but too late
Thuds
Torr goes and gets gauntlet
Sugar shows up
They're obstacle is soldiers? Then to the cave

Leaf tries to take it, but is cast aside.

Special weapon?
SM has a black blade

Whip
Rope
Club
Dagger
Spear
Knife
Star
Servants--serpent, Shegom
Collar
Spike, turn to worms on contact and wriggle in? (Leaf)
Hammer
Insect (his bees or wasps)
Poison
Poisoned darts

So here's the FIGHT

Drops down. Leaf turns, brings out sword. Hacks off arm. Stabs. Choked to death, raised up. Brings down sword to decapitate, nothing. Then Hunger grabs him.
Leaf calls out
SM comes
Leaf killed
SM--I see you now (some name, thief)
Stone, huge pins him to the side of the hill. He wrestles it off, casts it back with more force.
Charges, wrestle (calling for his spikes, clansman, spikes)
Hurls the Giant
Reaches into the thing, punches hole in chest, laughs, I've got it now. Thing reaches up, SM begins to scream, tries to pull away, calls wind, breaks away, Hunger jumps into wind after him...

Argoth holding them (crying, crying his eyes out)

Brings out spikes. They wriggle in and he keeps coming. Have to have gauntlet to handle them. Creature picks up Argoth, flings things aside, not knowing. Leaves.

NOW WHAT IF SUGAR IS ALREADY HERE? And so they take the fight to the place. And we can move immediately into Torr. Right now he has to chase him back. But that's also good. How to heighten it?
Well, have them do this there.
The two of them are riding the horse together. They take livery of Dreadmen to disguise at a distance.
We've got Shim and the Crab as well. So maybe the Crab sees and follows or something, chases. They're going to take Argoth after the cave, but Shim shows up...They're on Shoka land afterall. Find some odd things in the cave. Brought out and burned, cast into the sea (does she resurrect them then, creatures coming out of the water?, seaweed all about them, anemones upon them, something drawn to their life)

So HOW DO I KEEP THE INTENSITY???? Show them gathering, going, etc. Hummmm

Came for Hogan, Shim's forces followed

Option 1: sugar comes after
SM falls
Hides, Argoth taken, goes gets gauntlet, follows with spikes or tries to get there before him on roads
[SEE THAT'S THE LAG]
Goes in
Throws, stops for a moment
Grabs
Brings him in
The Mother
The End (PLANT SUMMER TRYING TO FIX HIM, SAYING HE'S ALL SCREWED UP, ALMOST UNHUMAN, NOT NATURAL, MOTHER DID SOMETHING)
Back out, Crab there with arrows, ready to arrest
Shim shows up--Shoka land

Option 2: sugar taken
Sugar caught
Questioned
They leave (Crab sent to meet them there)
Go to the cave
Hunger shows up
Then fight
Then Torr gets gauntlet and follows in
Tries, fails

[DON'T LIKE EITHER OF THESE, TOOK A QUICK BRAKE INTO THE KITCHEN TO END FAST AND GOT ANOTHER OPTION THAT'S MUCH, MUCH BETTER. LETTING SUGAR ACT HEROICALLY]

Option 3: sugar shows up
Battle
Torr TAKEN
Sugar then rides with Legs to rescue. Heads them off, uses and fails. So spikes are alive. Silverfish. Can't let them touch flesh or life, they come to life. So she's riding to save him. Humm. Like that. She sees them, tells Legs to get back! Then realizes SM is in the field, the gauntlet probably on his hand. Cut, she's in those clothes, galloping along, people dashing out of the way.
Goes in
Torr's POV

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name of spikes:
• Hagman's Teeth
• Silver Teeth
• Witch's Teeth
• Dragon's Teeth
• Hag Teeth
• Unravel
• Raveler's Teeth
• Ravel Teeth
• Wrigglers

Why aren't there more? Because of cost and skill. To make, it takes weeks for first step of process.

They unravel a man, unstitch the seams.

One goes into a DM when it's knocked aside--we see the effects.

Take 2
So SM comes in
Torr is found
Sm reaction--where are they? Here, but gone
Set up a watch
Questions Torr--the creature etc.
See the Hag's teeth, has a gauntlet to work with it.
They wait. Nothing.
Then Dreadman comes, they're dead.
Shegom? Hiding something
He goes out
Creature drops down behind him, between him and his serpent (silver and skin and flashing, but we only see it later) MORE HUMAN, SOLID, THE COLOR OF DIRT AND BLUE STONE
Knocks away Hag's teeth. Hits SM, sends him flying.
Argoth goes and gets them, holds them.
Leaf turns, brings out sword. Hacks off arm. Stabs. Choked to death, raised up. Brings down sword to decapitate, nothing. Then Hunger grabs him.
Leaf calls out
SM comes
Leaf killed
SM--I see you now (some name, thief)
Stone, huge pins him to the side of the hill. He wrestles it off, casts it back with more force.
Charges, wrestle (calling for his spikes, clansman, spikes)
Hurls the Giant
Reaches into the thing, punches hole in chest, laughs, I've got it now. Thing reaches up, SM begins to scream, tries to pull away, calls wind, breaks away, Hunger jumps into wind after him...
Drops down, thud
Argoth holding them (crying, crying his eyes out), Torr can't get him to move, he's there at the mouth of the cave, on knees, hugging.
Gathers up Hogan AND TORR TAKEN. Casts aside Hag's Teeth, one hits a DM and takes him apart. Sugar is there to witness
POV SWITCH
Sugar gets stuff (cut)
Sugar then rides with Legs to rescue. Heads them off, uses and fails. So spikes are alive. Silverfish. Can't let them touch flesh or life, they come to life. So she's riding to save him. Humm. Like that. She sees them, tells Legs to get back! Then realizes SM is in the field, the gauntlet probably on his hand. Cut, she's in those clothes, galloping along, people dashing out of the way.
Goes in
Torr's POV

Take 3
The Dreadmen returned. Torr counted six of them besides the one watching him.
"All three clear," one reported.
"Clear?" demanded the Skir Master. He turned to Uncle Argoth. "Clansman, where are they? You said there were only three chambers."
"And there are, Great One. Three. Only three."
Uncle Argoth was groveling. So busy bowing and scraping he hadn't even looked in Torr's direction.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.