Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Alien Language problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alien Language problem
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for some ideas. In the novel I am currently writing, three species are represented. I'll call these species the Antagonists, the Victims, and the humans. The Antagonists used the computers on their spacecraft to generate translation devices for both Human (English) and Victim. The devices cannot translate from English to Victim.

First contact between the humans and the Victims occurs in a prison cell on the Antagonists' spacecraft. I need a viable way for the humans and victims to communicate.

This is hard SF, so I need concrete ideas.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
why not just get rid of the idea that the computers can't translate directly between Victim and English?

actually, what i actually mean is that they would translate first into Antagonist, and then into English, from Victim, or from English into Antagonist, and then into Victim.

there is absolutely no reason for a translation system to be incapable of working this way. however, since this is hard SF, and translation is a lossy process, the loss from English to Victim should be pretty extreme. same with Victim to English.

i would say that they should still be able to communicate, but in very broken sounding language.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
The devices cannot translate from English to Victim.

I'm not buying this scenario. Why can't it translate? If they have the technology to do one translation, then it's a relatively simple thing (in my mind) to do the others.

What might happen is a several second delay to allow for the translation subroutines to work it out as it is translated twice.

I recall reading that in the United Nations, some of the speeches are translated through several different languages before finally arriving at a final translation. I don't know exactly which, but it might go something like:

Russian > English > French > Swahili

Obviously, this will take a bit of time before the final translation is made.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If the Antagonists are the ones with the technology, I can understand if they want to keep their prisoners segregated. If the Humans and the Victims cannot directly converse with each other, it gives the Antagonists another degree of control.

That said, you are writing a book. Non-verbal, non-written communication is not easy to describe.

One solution. Make at least one of your Human prisoners a linguist, someone who already speaks several languages and likes to study new ones in her (or his) spare time. Sort of like the one chick on "Star Trek: Enterprise". Or you could just make them highly observant with an ear for language like Antonio Bandaras's character in the "13th Warrior". Of course, there are always hand signs and diagramming in the dirt. That works fine in a visual medium such as movies or T.V. but it can be difficult to put into writing.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the humans and the victims in the same cell? If not, can they see each other? Without visual frames of reference, it will be almost impossible for humans and Victims to work out any sort of communication other than mathemetical tapping on the walls, and sharingthe fact we know basic arithmetic and the concept of prime numbers isn't much to go on.

How much time do you have to work with? If it's only days, the level of communication will probably not rise much above what can be communicated with gestures. If it's years, then I could believe reasonably fluent dialogue between the two species.

Otherise, you're going to need a technological solution. What happens if you reverse the polarity on the translating devices?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Gestures: How would an ET interpret human gestures? Perhaps our nodding for "yes" would be interpreted by an ET as "I will kill you after I molest your siblings."

Worse: A smile could be taken as an agressive move. Heck, just picking your nose might have unintended consequences. It could be a mating signal.

You can't rely on gestures. You have to rely on translators or some other method. But gestures is right out unless it is clearly action oriented, like pointing at something. Even then, you're asking for trouble. No?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
We need to know a lot about the Victims. How they think, how they communicate (radio? sign language? if it's sound, is it something human ears can distinguish, something human mouths can mimic?). I'll assume you haven't decided on these yet. I'll also imagine the humans and the Victims can't get access to the translation computers.

If the psychology is anywhere nearly similar (as in, they don't like death and they do like eating and they can form alliance relationships), some communication could be as easy as putting food in front of the other, as a way of saying, "Have this." It's conventional to try math, which would work if the alien is a mathematician.

Various ideas:
* vervets, which use sign language. See Mike Pinker's work
* a minor alien character in Calculating God, Robert Sawyer. Its thoughts were alien enough than even after magic translation they were hard to follow
* The Mote in God's Eye, Niven & Pournelle. They were great communicators. (Also a comment on using math: a scientist is trying to do this with an Engineer; members of that subspecies don't talk much. It couldn't care less about his diagram of the Pythagorean theorem, but it took the computer apart and put it back together. I think it was Kate Wilhelm (?) who pointed out what would happen if a big many-legged monster appeared downtown and tried to interest people in the Pythagorean theorem.

* Startide Rising, the language Trinary. Statements must rhyme to be grammatical, and have 3 levels of meaning.

I tend to agree with Niven: if they're aliens, simply distinguishing and reproducing the sound (if they use sound) is an issue. Psthhh(pok), a character in Protector, pronounced his name by hissing and clacking his beak shut.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always go with a version of the philotic web... I hear that's the in thing these days...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"...could try reversing the polarity on the..."

High five, man!

Lot of good ideas here.

quote:
First contact between the humans and the Victims occurs in a prison cell on the Antagonists' spacecraft.

I'm going to make some assumptions based on this. First, even if you don't mean they were literally being kept in the same cell, they were in the same cell block, and both can survive in the same environment. Second, the Antags have a distinct prison environment, so it wouldn't be hard for humans (or the Vics) to figure out that both species were being held captive. Third, this first contact becomes known, which means that at least some of the humans or Vics involved eventually escaped.

From this, I'm going to infer that there doesn't need to be much in the way of initial communication other than being nice and helpful. "Hey, I've got some extra food" (or maybe not) all the way to "Yo, we're bustin' out of here, you wanna come?" The situation is one such that the humans and Vics could hardly help but have common interests. Where there are identifiable common interests, communication is almost inevitable.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

More info for you....

+ On the antagonist translation device...neither humans nor victims have access to the device.

+ The antagonists throw both species into what is basically just a secure room. They don't generally keep prisoners, they prefer to dismember their captives bit by bit until they give up information or die. In this instance, they don't know which species has the information, and torture hasn't worked on the first victim captive. They attempt trickery instead.

+ The humans have the information, the action occurs at the home planet of the Victims (orbiting Alpha Centauri A). The Antagonists believe the information is here, not on Earth. (They tortured an alien from a fourth race to learn the information exists, but did not get all the facts). The humans are desperate not to allow the Antagonists to discover where they are from.

+ Earth and Charold's Planet (home planet of the Victims) are very similar. The Victims look something like humanoid giraffes. That's about all the humans know upon first contact.

+ The humans and Victims must work together to win the scenerio, and no antagonist will change sides.

+ Just FYI, it is essential to the next book that these humans are stranded on Charold's Planet, unable to communicate back to earth.

+ And, of course, the fate of the universe hangs in the balance.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited May 27, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Why is it always the fate of the entire universe?

I have a sneaky suspicion that this important information is going to turn out to be some common bit of knowledge on Earth. Fairly antique knowledge, at that. I can see a couple of possible directions. One involves Stonehenge, the Pyramids, Atlantis, or something like that. The other involves one (or more) well established Earth religions having been founded by aliens.

On the other hand, maybe you just mean that humans have invented a fabulous new technology that the Antags are dying (or killing, anyway) to get.

Either way, the story is potentially interesting, but full of risk because there are so many borderline cliche elements.

More relevant to the immediate question, you haven't given us information we requested. First, how long do they have to figure out a means of communication, and how much communication do they need?

I'm thinking that, initially, they only need enough to communicate "we're all friends here" and "look at this". After they escape, they have plenty of time to figure out more.

Oh, and (not saying this information will help us answer the question) what the heck does "humanoid giraffes" mean?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Okay, it's not the fate of the universe, only the region of space within about 1000 light years of Earth.

The important bit of information is, in fact, of great strategic importance. There has been an interstellar war raging between the Antagonists and another race (the previously mentioned fourth race) for millions of years...all of it in sublight spacecraft. The humans have a theory and a prototype that could change everything. (In fact, it is the main thread connecting this story with my previous novel.) In fact, the prototype is only large enough for a mouse and it doesn't work properly.

The time span for the humans and victims to learn to communicate is minimal. I can think of two options, gesturing or stealing one of the translation devices. The problem with the latter option is that it might get all the protagonists killed before they escape. Then again, there's a lot of tension built into that option by default.............The more I think about it, the better that might work.

I use "humanoid giraffe" because I haven't written that part of the book, so I haven't gone through a full-blown description yet. That's just my working descrition. Basically, they look sort of like giraffes (only smaller) that evolved into intelligence and walk on their back legs, while the front feet evolved finger-like digits.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
sign language

meaning dependent on highly contextual religious/cultural information or caste status. (the culture one was done on star wars, and the religious one recalls the Klingon biblical translation conundrum.)

We can't speak with whales or dolphins, though many people believe they have language.

Perhaps your hero that figures out the language has a touch of telepathy. Or is an idio savant.

It is entirely possible for a computer to translate one language and another because some languages just have more in common than others.

Maybe the language is a series of colors and patterns displayed on the face and they never developed writing.

Did you know that signers who read and write have to be bilingual because there is no way to write sign practically?

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Dolphins, at least, can learn to understand English just fine. They can't speak it, at least not well enough for humans to understand it. Whale intelligence is a much murkier issue. For one thing, they seem to have lost much of the instinctive body language that binds most mammals together.

Generally, I don't think that you could rely on something like that for two species that evolved on different planets, even if there are commonalities of body form. But complex communication of semi-abstract modes isn't necessary.

All you need to share basic information and get some working level of cooperation between two intelligent entities is "we're friendly" and "look at this". I can say that much to a snake or lizard, and reptiles fall well outside the mammal commonality (whether they believe me is another matter ).

In fact, communication at that level might be better than more complex communication, because it seems likely that the Antags are monitering the cell in the hope of overhearing something. If they've jury rigged a cell and monitering equipment (including translators), then it seems that escaping and stealing a set of translation machines shouldn't be impossible, particularly since you say the Antags aren't usually in the business of keeping live captives.

Really, the sharing of complex information assumes that anyone has any immediately relevant complex information to share. Since the Antags are behaving atypically in this instance and they probably don't do a lot of catch and release anyway, it seems unlikely that anyone would have useful prior information on the subject of breaking out of an Antag prison and stealing some translators.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Excellent points. I'd forgotten my own details. The cell must be bugged because the Antags learn English by monitoring discussion between the two human captives. And, of course, the communication problem is not in one direction. The Victims can take some of the initiative. There is a possibility that these two species could communicate with gestures because there is a possibility that they are distantly related. I'm leaving that option open for the future despite the fact I have no long term plans for the Victims after this novel.
franc li
Member # 3850

Another real world example of computers being able to process some languages and not others was that in the original 8 bit scheme of Dos, it was not possible to represent Greek, Cyrillic, or Chinese. Pretty much any language that does not use a Roman alphabet. While most of these characters could be simulated in some way, it made computer literacy that much more difficult for people in those countries. (I took systems analysis when I was living in Greece- it was taught in English on an American base but the teacher was Greek. He had devised his own solution to the problem just before Microsoft finally came around on it, which really skunked him.)

P.S. Are you species names inspire at all by the "Persecutor, Victim, Rescuer" triangle model of dysfunctional relationships? It's a pattern that causes people to mess up their present relationships based on past abuse. Relationship addicts often have this, where as soon as they get married to someone the spouse becomes the tormentor and they start looking for a rescuer.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited May 29, 2005).]

Spaceman
Member # 9240

RE: Species names, not at all. I was being purposely vague. The victims will be called (by the humans) Charold's Chiraffes. The Antagonists are from a planet in the Xi Geminorum system, also known as the Alzirr system. Their name will probably be based on that. The fourth race is known as the Betels. They are a dying race from a planet circling a dying star called Betelgeuse. Most of that is not revealed until the next novel.
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Franc:
quote:
Did you know that signers who read and write have to be bilingual because there is no way to write sign practically?

I don't know about other areas, but in North America that would actually depend on which sign language they are using. Signed Exact English (SEE) is pretty much just like it sounds. This is most often used for deaf children of hearing adults. American Sign Language (ASL) has a completely different syntax and is most often considered part of a different culture. ASL users would be bilingual, but not SEE.

Still, even with different sign languages you would run the risk of stepping on toes culturally. I know that the signed letter 't' in North America actually means the equivalent of something like 'Your wife fornicates with the goats when you're not home' in certain South American countries.

A lot would depend on the giraffe culture's taboos and body language. I can easily see a human's gestural representation of eating being considered vulgar by a group of long-necked aliens, if not done specifically.

Are the giraffe creatures capable of mimicing the noises necessary for certain other languages? Maybe there could be a similar thread in languages known.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

I was using "sign" to mainly mean ASL, but signed English is definitely a different story. Since it is not the case that any English speaker can understand signed English.
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Have humans and victims ever met before? Or is this one of the first encounters between the two species? Excuse me if I'm getting my history wrong, but didn't some Native American groups develop a sign language to trade amongst themselves? It would be interesting to see a conversation in which the species tried to adapt a language designed for trade to cope with their situation.

"Your offer is too low!" Translation: "Look up!"

"Is it a quality item?" Translation: "What do you see?"

"Everyone owns one on my planet." Translation: "We're being watched."

It may take a while for each party to catch each hint, but it'd be fun to read!

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
What about some form of Morse Code? I feel that I'm getting that idea from some other story... but you can still make a variation of it...
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Languages or codes which are primarily symbolic (ASL, Morse Code, etc.) are useless in such a situation, because the aliens will not be aware of the meanings behind the symbols. Tapping out "SOS" in Morse Code would have no meaning to the aliens, not just because they would not know that the taps could be converted to the letters SOS, but beyond that because they would have no idea that the letters served as a cry for help. Most of the signs in American Sign Language hold only a vague (if any) resemblance to a representational gesture.

Simple counting (shown representationally) would probably be understood by most sentient races. For example, if I started making marks as follows, you would probably understand what I was doing:
|
||
|||
||||
|||||
||||||
|||||||

From there, it's probably possible to come up with common symbols for numbers and mathematical operations.

| = 1
|| = 2
||| = 3
|||| = 4

1 + 1 = 2
2 - 1 = 1
1 - 1 = 0

Gestures such as pointing at an object to indicate the object are probably about as close to universally understood as gestures can be. Other concepts can be developed from there.

Using representational drawings may also be a method for initial communication.

Just remember that the beginnings of communication will have to be as representational as possible. More complex forms of communication can develop in time, based on the representational foundation.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman, you mentioned that the Antags are trying to use manipulation to get the information. That the purpose of putting the Victims and the Humans together is so that they will share information that will be useful to the Antags.

If I've got the gist of that correct, wouldn't be in the best interest of the Antags to make the translators available to the Humans and the Victims?

They wouldn't have to do it at first, but perhaps have one of the Antags realize that the two species they have captive can't communicate. They could then provide translation devices to each of the prisoners.

Or, since manipulation is the goal, the Anatags could let the captives have the translation devices, but in such a way that the captives think they have secretly got a hold of them. They only use it when the guards aren't around and say things that they believe are private, not knowing that the Antags have the place bugged.

Just a few more brainstorming thoughts...

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

"Languages or codes that are primarily symbolic (ASL, Morse Code, etc.) are useless in such a situation, because the aliens will not be aware of the meanings behind the symbols"

That's why I said "some form", not to imply that I would expect them to actually use Morse Code. Morse code spells out letter-by-letter a word or acronym of a known language, so that would be pointless (unless the Vics learn English or something), but there are other means to formulate a tapping code, even something as simple as once for "yes", twice for "no" (sorry, my Trekieness is showing). As you said, "...---..." would be meaningless if it was intended to mean S-O-S, but you could create some how a common bond between the two subjects to make such a thing come out as words or phrases, similar to the whole "Father tongue" concept.
I was leaning away from the universal languages of pointing, etc. because I think that it would make it hard to believe that someone couldn't figure out the meaning of those.
If you want to really hurt your brain, you could even develop a tapping language by using any computer language, binomial, hex, etc (that hurts my brain just thinking about it).

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited May 31, 2005).]

Tim Coyne
Member # 2622

- posted      Profile for Tim Coyne   Email Tim Coyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman,
If you don't need Chiraffes in future stories then perhaps you don't need them to communicate. Perhaps they are receivers only.
Without any other information, we assume that order is intelligence. Order may simply be order in their world. That they act in concert and agreement may be the sum total of their social structure.
Perhaps the "translator" of the Antagonists is something they are sure of only because the Chiraffes appear to react logically to an ordered presentation from them. The Antagonists frustration is that nothing that they want is coming back. And the chiraffes are not sending anything. They observe, order to it, adapt in some hardwired algorithm (trillions of appropriate schemes developed over eons) and considerer themselves in a safe sustainable behavior for the species. They probably ARE reacting to the torture - for themselves, not for the torturers. Itty bitty data bits and bundles shift and align, they align and wait for the next meaningful input. No opinion or ambition, just orientation of will until the next significant impulse.
What they need from the humans is a sense of order, which they'll "surf" as a co-viable offset.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

> but there are other means to formulate a
> tapping code, even something as simple as
> once for "yes", twice for "no"

OK. I'm an alien completely unfamiliar with human lanuages. You decide that you will communicate with me by teaching me a tapping code. Please explain how you would use tapping to explain to me the concept that a certain number of taps means yes, and a different number of taps means no. Even if I somehow instinctively knew once was yes and twice was no, the tapping code isn't very useful unless you can ask me a yes-or-no question, which means you somehow need to build up tapping codes sufficient to ask a question.

It's actually possible to build a tapping code for simple math, and from that to assign a pattern for true and a pattern for false. But if you want to ask questions about anything more than math, you're going to need gestures or pictures or some other way to build a language by directly referring to things.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

The aliens throw the humans and Chirafes together because they KNOW they can't talk to each other. The Chirafe is a head of state who entertained the Antag captain for the better part of a year before being invited to see the ship.

By the time the humans arrive, the antags probably know the Chirafes don't have the information, but they won't admit a mistake, and a politician is too big a prize to simply release.

There are a lot of details yet to be worked out on the final relationship between all the different species. My first novel was laid out in my head for several years before it was written. It started as a short story (that was, unfortunatly, published). The sequel to this novel is also completely laid out in my head. This novel is different. I've been actively creating it as I go along. I have the major plot points, but the details are very sketchy.

I'm starting to understand what the veteran pros mean when they say that writing doesn't get any easier, it's just hard in different ways.

Sorry for rambling.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
It started as a short story (that was, unfortunatly, published).

Why is that unfortunate?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

It's crap.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

So what. It is published. When you go to sell your novel, that is all that really matters. If you can tell a publisher that this novel started out as a short story that was published in XYZ Magazine, you have shown that there is a potential market for YOUR writing and specifically THIS story.

As writers we grow and mature. I'm sure that most look back at some of their work and say, "Boy, that was crap." But hey, if someone bought it off you, who cares how bad you think it is. Just use it as experience to write better.

Anyways, best of luck with this, sounds like an interesting concept.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

EricJamesStone:
"You decide that you will communicate with me by teaching me a tapping code."

For one, they'd be mutually teaching each other (that does make a difference).

"It's actually possible to build a tapping code for simple math"

Exactly why I brought up the concept of computer codes... computers only speak in math and math is universal, but not universally understood (hence two people with some level of mutual understanding can find a common bond to comprehend the tapping, flashing, etc., but an outside party may not be so likely):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexidecimal

If I was Spaceman, I of'course would actually approach this by only revealing the basic concept (like OSC did for Father Tongue, etc), rather than explaining it in detail... because detail is accentually pointless, you don't need to be able to do it yourself to understand that someone else is doing it.

Spaceman:
Do you at least get the basis of what I’m saying? Or even agree enough for me to even bother trying to figure out a further means to explain it (I choose not to develop your code for you, I am only willing to come up with the very basic ideas).
If you do agree a bit, I can easily give you way more ideas on the concept, my entire mind does nothing but develop and figure out patterns constantly throughout my day (wake or sleep)… I could simply give you a small taste of some of the insanity that goes through my head. Although I’m not going t bother with more than that because as I’ve said before, you really couldn’t understand it without actually being in my head.
For me… every day, number, letter, word, etc. has its own shape color and sound (completely separate from the sounds and shapes that they’d normally have when normally spoken or written). So… yea… that’s just the top of the surface…

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited June 01, 2005).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

RavenStarr,

> For one, they'd be mutually teaching each
> other (that does make a difference).

Not enough of one.

My point is that with tapping codes alone, you can't get beyond math. For "some form of Morse Code," as you originally suggested, you'd need to build an alphabet, and words to be spelled with the alphabet, and those words are meaningless unless both you and the alien agree on their meaning -- which is going to be extremely difficult if you have no way of communicating other than tapping codes. Thagt's true even if you skip the alphabet step and just give each word its own pattern.

Tapping codes are useful as a method of communication between people who already have a method of communication in common. (That's why they will work for simple math, because both humans and sentient aliens would already share that foundation.)

Once the humans and aliens have a communication foundation built on gestures, pictures, or some other directly representational method of communicagtion, it would be possible to implement a tapping code to transmit information. But a tapping code will not work as the foundation.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

EricJamesStone:
As I kinda said... I still only partially agree with you for the same reasons that I've already provided. I shall discuss a further explanation if Spaceman requests (because it's a lot of work to be able to explain one method of patterns out of all of the patterns I see). I myself have figured out many languages without any visual references (gestures, pictures, English comparisons, etc)... I simply figure out the patterns (that's the harder part to explain without you being in my head).

But then you can still always take the easy route of the philotic connection type of thing that I mentioned. It's somewhat over done, but it still has room to be worked with if you approach it right...

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

RavenStarr,

quote:
I myself have figured out many languages without any visual references (gestures, pictures, English comparisons, etc)... I simply figure out the patterns (that's the harder part to explain without you being in my head).

Please forgive me for being skeptical of your claim. What you're saying is equivalent to claiming that you could have correctly translated Egyptian hieroglyphics prior to the Rosetta Stone.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

RavenStar: I'm going to defer the decision until I get further along in the manuscript. I'll probably let the alien take the initiative because, being one myself, I know how humans will react.
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm one of those people that hex cheats at games I've already beaten just for the fun of it. But I have to have some idea of what's going on in the game before I can figure out how the information is coded in the game files, and I have to be able to see the actual results of my initial edits.

Also, I'd like to point out that if you have both sides trying to teach the other how to communicate, that actually makes it far more difficult to develop high level communication. This has been experimentally proven in case after case. The same is true if you have both sides trying to learn communication, though the results are somewhat less hilarious.

Even so, the theoretical difficulty Eric mentions really is insurmountable. Patterns of taps can never inherently communicate anything other than patterns of taps. Thus, it can not communicate anything beyond "I think that tapping in this manner forms a meaningful pattern". Even this message is quite fragile, it is very easy for the recipient to exclude the idea that the tapping is supposed to be a message.

All this is something of a diversion. The chiraffes and the humans are being kept in the same cell, and they have somewhat similar physiologies. They are not limited to tapping in any case, nor would such a code be of much use.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Quite agree. I suspect it will come more in the form of the Chirafe walking up to the human, putting his <hand> on the human's shoulder to push him toward a location, then pointing toward an object. The human will understand the message from the object he sees. (Or she, there'll be one of each.)
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

EricJamesStone:
"Please forgive me for being skeptical of your claim. What you're saying is equivalent to claiming that you could have correctly translated Egyptian hieroglyphics prior to the Rosetta Stone."

You should research the condition sometime; it's actually more common than you'd think. If I can come across any articles about it, I'll pass them along to you, if you'd like...

Spaceman:
"RavenStarr: I'm going to defer the decision until I get further along in the manuscript. I'll probably let the alien take the initiative because, being one myself, I know how humans will react."

That works...

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited June 02, 2005).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

RavenStarr,

I'll send you $100 if you can give me a translation of any five consecutive lines from the play on this page, without using outside reference materials: http://www.ericjamesstone.com/weird_stuff/translation.php

Each word in the play has been replaced by a number. Each occurrence of the same number indicates the same word. For someone like you, who has "figured out many languages without any visual references (gestures, pictures, English comparisons, etc)...," translating it should be simply a matter of figuring out the patterns, which you can do in your head, so here's your path to an easy $100. Not only that, but you'll prove I don't know what I'm talking about.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

Ok... give me about a week...
Survivor
Member # 213

That's no good, at least, it's no good if we can assume that the play is in English. We can figure out that some of the more frequent words are articles, and from that we can deduce that words following them are nouns or adjectives, sort those out according to order, and eventually figure out the verbs as well.

True, that doesn't come very close to being a translation, but since it's a play there's a fair chance of simply recognizing it after you get the sentance structure worked out.

Not a $100 dollars worth of chance, but if you were offering a million I'd find it worth my while to try working it out. I probably wouldn't be able to match it up, because it's not like I remember every play I've read or anything like that, but this is very different from the scenario you were talking about before. There is no theoretical barrier to solving this problem.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

"That's no good, at least, it's no good if we can assume that the play is in English."

I hope we are, otherwise it would take me about 2 months (probably more because I'd start getting bored after about a week).

"We can figure out that some of the more frequent words are articles, and from that we can deduce that words following them are nouns or adjectives, sort those out according to order, and eventually figure out the verbs as well."

You're actually grasping the idea of figuring out the basic patterns to all languages... except, not every language puts adjectives and nouns in the same order, so that's what would cause most of the problems if it was something other than English.

"but since it's a play there's a fair chance of simply recognizing it after you get the sentence structure worked out."

Assuming I've read/saw it, or at least heard of it enough to have some reason to recognize it.

"but this is very different from the scenario you were talking about before"

I agree... but I still like the challenge... it's fun (I was one of the kids that complained when the math teacher forgot to give homework)... even if I do it, I don't expect $100, the fun of it is enough for me...

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

RavenStarr,

Since the point is to prove that you can work out the meanings without using outside referents, why should it matter whether the play is in English or not?

Spaceman
Member # 9240

I mentioned earlier in the thread about the short story drivel that mutated into my first novel. Here it is, if anybody is interested.

http://www.planetmag.com/pm27/neandert.html

I should point out, however, that the novel is very, very different from this short story, though the core idea is the same.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited June 03, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

It's nice that people understand that I grasp the basics of decryption

On a completely different note, what on earth does the linked story have to do with the novel you've been discussing? Or do I want to know? I've found each possible connection more frightful than the last.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

This is going to spill a lot of the beans I've been tap-dancing around.

This link was a side-conversation about fifteen posts ago, where I mentioned that there were some threads linking my first noved with the novel we've been discussing. In the course of that side discussion, I mentioned that the first novel was originally a short story that I considered to be "crap." The link is to the short story.

The general flow of the Neanderthal's life is similar in short story and the novel, but much of the detail is expanded upon, names are changed, and I think the novel is much more believable (in a willing suspension of disbelief kind of way). Many things also are different. The short story was written maybe nine or ten years ago, when I first started writing seriously.

So, there are four main hanging threads available from the first novel. The first will ruin the novel if you ever read it, and it is irrelevent to the second novel, so I won't discuss it. The second is that one of the Neanderthal's professors in Tokyo is a world authority in cryogenics (about 80 years in our future). He is named to the planning team for the Deep Space mission to Proxima Centauri. First connection.

The Neanderthal is not a stereotypical caveman. He is very intelligent, and a great mathematician and physicist. He invents a theory for faster than light travel. The Antags want that theory because war is space is a chess game, and whoever can move the chessmen first, win. Second Connection.

In the novel, it is implied that the Neanderthal has an offspring--half Neanderthal, half Japanese. We learn somewhere in the current novel that he had a son named Kinji Kitamura. Kinji picked up where his father left off, developing a prototype. Third connection.

On the planet Labrynth, orbiting Proxima Centauri, the two humans that survive an enormous stellar flare make humanity's first contact with an alien race. They meet a Betel Seer inside Labrynth, a mined-out world converted to Betel outpost. A very limited number of Betels exist in four dimensions rather than three (ignoring time). The few humans extend into this fourth dimension have what we call ESP. The Betels with this ESP are called Seers, and they have the gift of clairvoyance. They post Seers in strategic locations. The Betels have humanity selected as the race to which they plan to pass the torch of freedom, defending against the Antags.

The Betels are, unfortunately, wimps when it comes to torture. The Antags found the Betel first and tortured until he spilled everything he knew about the theory, though he was able deceive the Antags enough that they don't know where to look for it. So they look everywhere.

Meanwhile, Dr. D.F. Chareld discovers an earth-sized planet circling Rigel Kentaurus (Alpha Centauri A) about the same time that Kinji completes the first FTL prototype with the range to get out of the solar system.

Earth instructs Deep Space to divert to Chareld's Planet to look for life and to retrieve and return the FTL prototype and it's mouse passenger.

Unfortunately, the Antags get there first and confiscate the prototype after torturing the Chirafe president and nuking several of his cities. When the humans arrive, the Antags deduce they are there to retrieve the prototype and beging to try extracting the information from the humans.

I know the general ending, but the details are still sketchy. The two humans win, but can't get back home or warn Earth. Thread to next book.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read your story; interesting idea, although perhaps not as well-executed as you'd be able to do it today.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, I get it, this story takes place in the same "ughiverse" of the short story, but beyond that there is no actual storyline connection.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Correct, except his name is no longer Ugh, and his relationship with his mother is much richer and more complicated. In the novel, she starts out as a person and becomes a witch later.

(Witch wasn't my first choice of words, but I don't where hatrack draws the line.)

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

EricJamesStone:
"Since the point is to prove that you can work out the meanings without using outside referents, why should it matter whether the play is in English or not?"

I already answered that: "not every language puts adjectives and nouns in the same order, so that's what would cause most of the problems if it was something other than English"
I'd be able to figure it out still (the "2 months" was mostly an exaggeration... although the getting bored after a week was right... that's why whenever I agree to look at anybody's work on here, they know that it can't be something that will take more than a week), It'd just slow me down because no matter what language it is, I'd always be referencing English, since that is my first language...
If you really believe that this cannot be done, then it must be astonishing to you that language even exists to begin with.
Besides... as we said, it doesn't really get into the whole point with tapping codes... not talking about have a full conversational dialog between people, we're talking about getting basic concepts across. Even Morse only does that (it can do more, but it's not intended for that purpose). "SOS" doesn't actually mean anything other than "help"... and that's a universal concept...

Spaceman:
Um... interesting... if you get a publisher, they'd very likely latch on...

[This message has been edited by RavenStarr (edited June 06, 2005).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.