Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » longest sitting?

Author Topic: longest sitting?
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I came up with a story idea last night and then promptly fell asleep. This morning I kept working on the idea before getting out of bed (for about 45 minutes). I then proceeded to plot the story and start writing. I continued writing until 7pm that night, stopping for only an hour to take a shower and go buy more ribbons for my typewriter (which I've decided takes the best from both writing by hand and on the computer). I think I spent 6 1/2 - 7 hours writing today and ended up writing between 5000 and 6000 words. I know that this isn't by any means a record, but for me it's probably over a thousand more words than any previous writing session I've had.

My question is this: what is your longest sitting, both in time and words. I think it's just an interesting little thing to discuss.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as hours go, I have no idea what my longest writing session was, although I seem to remember a couple days during my holidays that went from early afternoon to late in the evening. I typically do rough drafts on paper so I have no idea what the total word count would be. Not very high, me thinks. If it isn't a flash challenge, I tend towards slow and methodical.

[This message has been edited by Isaiah13 (edited June 10, 2005).]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find the file anymore to double-check word count, but I wrote 27 manuscript pages in one sitting once, which is approximately 6000 words in a different document I have, so maybe that was how much it was.

I have only been writing seriously for a year, and I still have major issues with BIC. I still have yet to write every day for longer than a month (and that month was NaNoWriMo, where I had whips cracking and etc to keep me going). I do spend an average of 4-5 hours per week, sometimes a lot more, writing or revising stories, but I go in spurts. Nothing nothing spate of furious activity nothing nothing nothing.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ely
Member # 2558

- posted      Profile for ely   Email ely         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in high school, I decided to start a journal, which turned into more of a first person narative journal about the summer before. I did the entire thing in one day, something like 16-20 hours. I don't know the word count, but it ended up being around 30 pages.
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
At bootcamp last summer I wrote a 6600 word story in 4 hours. That's the most I've written in one sitting. Another time I wrote a short story (~5000 words) over the course of a Saturday. Probably eight hours in all. That's the longest time period I've spent writing.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
What is "BIC"?
Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
BIC is an acronym for Butt-In-Chair.

it basically means forcing yourself to write for a certain amount of time at the same time every day...

ANYWAYS, back on topic... i really do not know for sure what my longest sitting time would be, but i did write an entire epic poem in one session once... it was almost like i was the reader, not the writer, the words kept coming out so well.

i'd say it took at least a few hours.

as for length... well.... something like 21 pages handwritten... i have no idea the manuscript pages length or the word count.

of course, seeing it was an epic poem, the word count was probably pretty low, considering that you aim for shorter lines with that kind of work.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we counting grad school papers worked on the day before the deadline? 'Cause if so, my record is pretty long, but I was usually too dazed by the end most of the time to really be sure exactly how long, how much, or even just what I'd written. Fiction often comes much more slowly for me, and must usually be done in smaller chunks. I don't think research papers are really meant to be coherent.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
Minister, definitely not. Under no circumstances are we counting that. :-)

I finished the rought draft of the story this morning and ran OCR on the whole thing to get it into my computer. I discovered that my long sitting was over 6.5k words. Ridiculous.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.