Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What publications do you dream about being in?

Author Topic: What publications do you dream about being in?
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
If you could choose one pub to see your story in, which would it be? Or which would THEY be, if you write in different genres? And why?

I realized last night that I always dream about Asimov's (which I still mentally refer to as IASFM). My mom subscribed to it when I was still too young to read it. She and my older brother would read it and talk about the stories. I was thrilled when one day she pointed out a short sweet story that I could read too. I don't remember what it was, but I loved it. As I grew older, I could read more and more of the contents. But the idea of writing one of those seemed simply impossible. Now, as an adult, being published seems like at least an reasonable goal to work towards. But I guess those childhood experiences have given Asimov's a special place in my mind -- seeing a story of mine there would just be so much more, well, special than seeing one anywhere else.

What's 'top o' the trees' for you all, and why?

-K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'd like to be in Dragon Magazine, because I like writing in the fantasy genre, and I also guess I'd like to be in one that deals with sci-fi (can't think of any names at the moment).

But in the long run, I guess that if I could get published in a magazine I could possibly get a book published.

Just my thoughts.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for me it would be getting a novel published by Tor or one of the other biggies, and having it get popular over time and eventually be a classic that is still popular many years after it was written. Since we're dreaming.

I would like to win first place in Writer's of the Future, and I would like to be published in the top mags, such as F&SF, Asimov's SCIFICTION, etc.

Science fiction is where I want to make a name, though I also like horror. The nice thing about sci fi is there are plenty of horrific stories in the genre.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't cry if I got into Analog
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it, when I saw this thread I though it was going to be about drinking establishments. I mean, I like a nice country pub with a roaring fire and all that stuff, but I don't think I've ever actually dreamed of being in one...

Mostly I write novels, and I can't say that I've got any preference for one publisher over another. What short stories I do write are pretty quiet pieces (with the occasional exception) and are only likely to get published if I ever actually make a name for myself.

For me, just being published is the dream, and that first piece in print in my hands is going to be one great moment, if it ever comes. I'm not going to be too fussy about what it says on the cover...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The science fiction I grew up reading was mostly in anthologies and collections, but I knew where many of them had been published originally: Astounding Science Fiction, which was later renamed Analog Science Fiction and Fact. If I could pick any magazine to be published in, that would be it.

Lucky me, huh?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really read anything like that at all and I wouldn't even know where to start. The stories I've always dreamed of getting published are novels not shorts. I think I've only ever written about three or four shorts in my life and seem to lack inspiration for them. Any ideas I get seem to fall naturally into longer format.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment my goal is to get past John Joseph Adams at F&SF and be rejected by Gordon Van Gelder. I'm taking things one step at a time.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
AutumnMuse, don't sell yourself short. Go for the WotF grand prize!
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, that's a given of course!
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

And possibly slightly more likely than winning the lottery!
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. The way to do WOTF properly is to be a published finalist one year, then win a prize the next year. That way, you get the whole workshop experience twice.
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

:cringing at revealing her own ignorance:

OK, I went to the WOTF website and read all about it. But I didn't see much detail about the workshop you were talking about. Any help?

Thanks,

K.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

If you are a winner or published finalist, WOTF flies you out to Hollywood for a week for their workshop and awards ceremony. The workshop is currently taught by Tim Powers and K. D. Wentworth. There are also guest speakers; last year they included Anne McCaffrey, Kevin J. Anderson, Jerry Pournelle and others. You also get to meet your fellow WOTF writers.

During the workshop, you have to write a new story in 24 hours, which is a challenging but fun experience. In fact, that kind of describes the whole week.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited June 19, 2005).]

kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

Sounds fun!
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
their worshop and awards ceremony

Their worship ceremony, huh? I knew Scientology figured in there somehow.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Whoops! Left a k out of that.

Actually, Scientology was barely mentioned during the week by any of the WOTF people, if at all. L. Ron Hubbard was mentioned a lot, of course.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
For a short, anything SWFA eligible. For a novel, TOR would be my choice.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
If one of my stories ever appeared in Asimov's, I would feel that I've finally made it.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
My #1 would be Cemetary Dance. It is my favorite fiction magazine; I think there's a new wave of short horror fiction going on at the moment, and Cemetary Dance is the center of its universe.

After that, F&SF would be my #2, followed probably by Weird Tales.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Asimov's, and Analog. In that order.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I haven't given it much thought, to be honest. But I did find this quote from the article link in another thread that made a lot of sense (to me, anyway) by Roger Zelazny:

quote:
What I'd do was send my story out to the best paying magazine and if they
didn't want it, then I'd send it out the second best paying and so on,
until I'd gone through the entire list. If nobody wanted it I'd throw it in
a box and later on I'd look it over again to see if I could learn anything
from it.

What do you think of that? Does that sound like a sensible way to approach becoming published?

I've yet to submit anything anywhere for publication. It's the fault of editors, though. I have it on good authority that without exception they will only accept writing that is finished.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited June 23, 2005).]

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be a spoilsport here and edit the topic title to avoid confusion.

Sorry about that, but not sorry enough to leave things as they are.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

No sport spoiled, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks!

-K.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now? Anything that will pay well enough to buy a new lawn mower. GRRR!!!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that this topic seems to have died about two posts after the disambiguation.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.