Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q: ReWrite, approaching a... how to... methods...?

Author Topic: Q: ReWrite, approaching a... how to... methods...?
muogin
Member # 1963

- posted      Profile for muogin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have been finishing novella sized stories lately. Alot, and they are all rather good!

They are all longhand on paper and its time to clean them up for self publishing. etc.

The problem is, HOW?

There are so so so many ways to rewrite a story. I mean any of us considered "creative" could pull out the greatest classics in history and "rewrite" every single word within.

How do you approach this?

Is there a method you've used that has proven the most effective and efficient?

Is there a book that is specific to rewriting improvement that is actually worth its price?

PS: How do you get this forum bbs to send email notifications of responses?

Thanks,
Muogin

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a major rewrite, I re-think the story, and tell it again.

If it's not so major, I identify problem sections and change, eliminate or rewrite them.

If it's minor, I just start typing again, paying special attention to things that are hard to follow, or to words I don't need (especially actually, really, absolutely, very).

And if it's less minor than that, I re-read it with a pen in my hand for tweaking the words.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
What wbriggs said. That's basically what I do as well.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think wbriggs hit it right off.

One follow-up with major rewrites. I'm doing one right now but I found myself wanting to keep bits and pieces that I thought were strongly worded. I tried to rewrite those sections, too, to stay in the spirit of the complete rewrite, but I found I liked the freshness and emotion from the first draft better. In other words, it's ok to use parts of your current draft in a major rewrite and sometimes it works well.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: If you have such confidence in your work, why would your first reaction be to self-publish?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
muogin
Member # 1963

- posted      Profile for muogin           Edit/Delete Post 
SHORT ANSWER: Because I have such confidence in my work !

Long Answer: Because when I was a kid I spent so much time in the record biz trying to get signed, trying to get signed, with people telling me, you will get signed, you will get signed, spending so much money on pitching to publishers a&r execs, spending so much etc. etc. etc....

Then on the FIRST day I self published my music. It sold, has been selling steadily since day one, and I get to enjoy enriching peoples lives with my gifts every single day!

No more waiting on ONE day when there are awesome people in this world so receptive to it!

Thanks,
MU

"Question: If you have such confidence in your work, why would your first reaction be to self-publish?"

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I don't have a problem with self publishing as such. But I do think that it isn't fair to compare an experience with the music recording industry with the publishing industry.

I mean, from what I know of the recording industry (and I'm not claiming to know anything), you're lucky you didn't get signed. The entire industry thrives on taking advantage of kids too young to know that being famous and actually getting paid aren't the same thing.

So I would recommend that you at least try submitting a few stories to regular publishers. It isn't all about confidence.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have NEVER learned all that I have if I had just self published my work. At least trying to do it the old fashioned way forces you to do your absolute best and then some. I love the competition and I even like the rejections. It makes me feel like a real writer. Plus I see how far I've come and it gives me strength to go even further and push myself harder.

Anyhoo, about editing...

I love to edit. It's like a drug. I think sometimes I like it too much because I'm never quite satisfied. The editor has to rip it from my bloody fingers to get it in by deadline (yah right, I wish an editor would do that ). I agree with what wbriggs said too. I'm just going to add one thing. Buy the book "Self Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Browne and Dave King. It takes you through each and every detail. There are so many things you'll miss. Especially if this is your first time editing your own work. As writers we tend to love our words far too much and this book, along with the first three or four chapters of "The First Five Pages" by Noah Lukeman, will get you on the road to weeding through all the unnecessary words.

Good luck! Hope to see some of it posted on F&F.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.