Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Padded Prose

Author Topic: Padded Prose
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
“Every wasted word lowers the energy of a sentence. Every wasted sentence drains the power of its paragraph. A wasted paragraph saps the strength of the whole story. Padding of any sort is a dangerous softness; it makes the reader doze off when they are supposed to be driving.”

- From Ben Nyberg’s “One Great Way to Write Short Stories” (Writer’s Digest Books: 1998):

For myself, this type of dense and meaningful prose will not emerge in the first draft and I must wait for the rewrites. At first this seemed daunting--but now I love it! Rewrites, especially the final few, feel like adding those final touches with the extra-fine sandpaper on a piece of woodworking.

For a while, however, I treated MS Word’s cut tool like a chainsaw. My novella-in-progress (“All the Humans Are Sleeping”) became so dense, it transformed into utter incoherency. It resembled a child’s attempt at cutting his own hair. I later realized that oft time the problematic prose didn't require amputation; but merely trimming and substitution to make it more precise and relevant.

Or sometimes a few gems needed identification and extracted. I recently rewrote the exposition to my short story “Cycle of Darkness”. The new draft proved so appropriate to the plot line that I intended to arbitrarily forget about the original opener. But I took the time to reread it and found that four paragraphs fit well into the end of the new exposition with a little tweaking.

Does anybody else have any tips or stories about giving one’s manuscript a haircut?

In creativity rising,

John

John A. Manley
creativityrising@distributel.net

[This message has been edited by Creativity Rising (edited June 29, 2005).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
The mistake I've been making is applying this advice for novel-length work.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could remember the exact wording of one of my favorite quotes. It says something to the effect that: 'Good writing is like the engine of a car. There should never be any parts in it that don't have a purpose.'
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
MS Word cut tool? I just went into Word, but I couldn't find anything about it in Help (which should come as a surprise to no one!). What is it?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming "cut" as in "cut and paste". Ctrl-X actually lifts whatever text you've highlighted for selection, and if you don't paste it in anywhere, then it's gone.

Mind you, the "delete" key" has always struck me as the simpler option.

Me, I very rarely delete anything. I move sections down to the bottom of the document, and then eventually save the whole thing into a prior version. Too many times I've deleted sections of a work and then come back to it and thought "hey, wait a minute, I wrote a really cool bit and now it's gone...".

Squirrel mentality, perhaps; but better safe than sorry.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
That may be a squirrel mentality, but it's a better method than the one used by an ex-boss of mine. She saved everything in the "recycle" bin of her computer; just in case she might need it again.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, that metaphor of a properly working car works for me, though I don't know much a bout mechanics.

Chris, I'm lost, why do you not feel dense and meaninful prose would harm novel writing? I realize novels can more forgiving, but...?

Wbriggs, as Tchernabyelo explained I was referring to the cut and paste feature. I'm very anti-mouse and use the shift key to highlight items.

Likewise I don't cut prose out completely, but repaste them for possible future use. I found popping cuts at the end of the document made it a bit tidious jumping back to the exact spot I left off in the document. I prefer to have another document open for posting cuts, which you can toggle easily between in Windows by using hitting Alt-Tab.

In creativity writing,

John A. Manley

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be doing major surgery, I think it's best to just save in a new file. That gives you more freedom to do whatever seems best at the moment without having to worry about backing things up, since you've already done that.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a file called [Story Title]Scraps for each of my stories. As Survivor says, it does make me feel much more comfortable about cutting things.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.