Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Lost Babies

Author Topic: Lost Babies
Glasgow
Member # 2668

- posted      Profile for Glasgow   Email Glasgow         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve lost everything I had on my laptop. Gone, zippo, nadda. Destroyed from the face of the planet, never to be seen again. Well, maybe that’s a bit overstated; I lot of it is printed, some of it not, but it’s still very irritating.
Have any of the hatrackers had their work destroyed, whether printed or as a file, and just how annoying was it?
P.S.: What is the correct postage (British) for A4 manuscripts? It’s the second time one has been sent back due to wrong postage, both for the writers’ of the future contest.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I have, a long time ago and it was devastating. I lost a job over it, even though it was eventially shown to not be my fault.

So, here's a link to where you can download a freeware backup program that works extrememly well. http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm I use it every day.

I highly recommend buying a usb flash drive to back up to. You can find them at computer stores, or at this (and many other) websites. http://www.jmtekstore.com/shop/prodList.asp?idCategory=14

As an alternative, you can use an online backup service, such as http://www.ibackup.com/ I use their services and it works extremely well.

mikemunsil

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 01, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, flash drives are great for backup because they are quick. CD or DVD backups of all important work is imperitive. Some people also mirror to a backup hard drive.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ow. I'm sorry to hear that. I just sent my laptop in for repair and backed up all the "essential" stuff, but not the entire computer. They were just fixing the screen, and yet when it came back Windows wouldn't boot. I spent hours on the phone with tech support and sent it back to the repair shop. We finally realized we'd have to do a full restore and wipe everything.

It's amazing how many of the "unessential" things I wish I'd saved.

I feel your pain. I didn't lose my fiction, at least. That's rough.

I'm not sure about the UK postage, since it will vary depending on weight. Might want to go into the post office and check with them.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I feel for you. The closest I've come myself is having a semi-important floppy drive become corrupted, but only one file was not backed up, so lucky me!

In other news -- Are you *absolutely certain* that your babies are gone? There are companies out there who specialize in data recovery. Here's a webpage for one that sounds pretty impressive:

http://www.vogon-data-recovery.co.uk/disk_data_recovery.htm

If you go there then click the link over on the left hand side for "Emergency Data Recovery" you'll get a form for requesting a free quote, and also information about the drop-off location in Glasgow. It may be spendy, but on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to get the free quote...

Best of luck,

K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't backed up in a while. Thanks for the painful (for you) reminder.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonfireEast
Member # 2498

- posted      Profile for DragonfireEast   Email DragonfireEast         Edit/Delete Post 

Ouch...whenever I lose so much as an email I feel dispondant. I really dislike writing things that I have already written over again. Right now I have two computers that arnt running that have old writings on them. I just hope I can get them fixed enough to get the stuff off without loseing anyhing. Best of luck to you! I hope your babies get found.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now I have two computers that arn't running that have old writings on them. I just hope I can get them fixed enough to get the stuff off without loseing anyhing.

You can always pull the hard drives and plug them into your functional computer. If you don't know how, ask a techie friend; it's fairly simple to do. A little more trouble for a laptop, but not much.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverfoot
Member # 2608

- posted      Profile for Silverfoot   Email Silverfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost about five years worth of poetry I had in a notebook and only a few of them had been put into the computer. I even wrote a poem about the loss of my poems . Very painful. I certainly feel your loss.
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I've written a poem about computer problems too!

Anyways... sometimes simply plugging the hard-drive into a working computer WILL work, sometimes you need to run in Linux though. It is absolutely amusing how Linux is better at fixing Windows than Windows itself is!

Sounds like you aren't a techie, though, so I would encourage you to ask a favor of a techie friend. Preferably one who knows a little about Linux, in case it's use is necessary.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that you actually need to know anything to use Linux, that's the beauty part of it.

I've got to say, I'm suspicious of any UK based company that calls themselves "Vogon"

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

By "knows a little about Linux" I meant knowing of it's existence and that it can be used to solve issues in Windows. A lot of people who call themselves techs are quite frankly in denial about Linux. Linux may not be the purtiest piece of art (heck, it may just be the ugliest eye-sore known to man, but I digress) but it is a pretty useful tool.
Survivor
Member # 213

Most the recent versions have a selection of GUI overlays that are actually quite pretty, in my opinion. And if you're talking about coding or functionality....

Really, the reason that some "techs" don't like Linux is because it requires no technical training to fix anything that goes wrong on the software end of things. Basically the same reason that most doctors don't like herbal medicine.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

I was refering mainly to the kernel itself.

Have you ever scanned over the code in the Linux kernel? Pretty messy stuff.

Survivor
Member # 213

Nope. But it has to be prettier than the kernal Microsoft has devised, which they won't even let anyone see

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.