Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Organizing revisions

Author Topic: Organizing revisions
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to organize revisions?

I'm dealing with my WIP and I've taken several runs at the first three chapters, usually saving each version because there are bits I like out of each. Now it's getting out of hand. I'm wondering if anyone has a clever system of file organization that they use to track changes?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto that request. I have many versions of each chapter of my WIP. I number them, so generally the higher number is the most recent.

I know MS Word has some sort of version tracking feature, but I've never really explored it (I'm not sure I trust Microsoft enough for that, anyway, hehe)

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a lot of my writing in a program called KeyNote, which makes it very easy to organize multiple versions of things. The text editor is very primative, though, and I usually take the final version into a fancier word processing program for formatting.

http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfetch
Member # 2684

- posted      Profile for iamfetch   Email iamfetch         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try this:

Label each version a letter of the alphabet.

Within each version, label the paragraphs with numbers.

In your first version, say that you are certain of paragraph 8. It would look something like A-8. You could even go so far as to label the sentences with a lower case letter, if you're desperate.

If you have a certain pararaph(s) that you are absolutely sure that you like, jot that down on a scrap piece of paper or on a sticky note, and eventually make a list of them. You can add those in to your latest version.

I don't know if this will work. It may just be really confusing. But no matter! Good luck ~Fetch

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I do the easiest system I can think of: I make periodic copies, label them with the date, so I've got a long train of revisions. Also, if I take something out, I put it in a file called "extra text" so it's not really gone.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.