Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Transitions

Author Topic: Transitions
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings!

I'm working on a bit of an issue.
There is a story I'm working on where the story needs to be told in first person narrative, but I want to start the story with limited 3rd person: deep penetration.
So how should this be transistioned?
The goal is to sink the reader into the main character, leading the rest of the story to be told by her exclusively. The reason is that I feel the need to show her obsessiveness and for that 3rd person seems best before taking the reader completely into her mind.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably better off staying in third person throughout. First person seems like it would be closer to being inside the character's head, but you in fact distance the reader.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Make the transition at a section break (or a chapter break). There needs to be a clear break, though.

"This is a section in 3rd person," Gerald said. He looked over his shoulder but didn't see any monkeys. He reached out and grabbed Celeste's hand. "I love you!"

###

Saturday afternoon, I was making a peanut butter sandwich when I saw a monkey out of the corner of my eye. "Run!" I shouted to Celeste. "We're in first person now, so you're on your own."

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

oh, spaceman snuck in ahead of me, with sound advice.

But if you *do* need to change POV, do it at a break.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
JmariC, are you aiming for the unreliable narrator? I'm guessing that's what you're doing since you are using 3rd to sink the reader into the main character, otherwise, as Spaceman says, there'd be no need to go to first.

Beth's advice is sound. Another option, potentially, is to have your main character begin telling her story to someone else, but this type of framing device only works in specific instances.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
If the introductory section is short enough (and I would suggest you try to make it that way) set it in italics or a different font. When the font style changes, the reader immediately assumes a shift of some sort. This probably wouldn't be a good idea though, if the 3rd person section is more than a couple pages long. If it is, ask yourself if you _really_ need the shift.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I stop reading italics after more than a few sentences.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't stop reading the text, but I do start to discount the fact that it is italicized.

If the story itself needs to be told in first person, then you cannot start it with "3rd person: deep penetration". That is an absolute rule of first person, I'm afraid.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The only absolute rule is that there are no absolute rules...

Seriously, probably the only way to get around it is to have a prologue (or maybe occasional interpolated, clearly defined, short sections) in 3rd person while the main novel is the first person narrative.

In general, though, Survivor's right; once you're in first person, you should never leave...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the benefit of being a Sith Lord, you get to deal in absolutes
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Can the character be recalling the situation? You can use long strings of first person in thoughts with deep penetration. The key is to make the shift natural--the reason the character is recounting an event to themselves in detail needs to be GOOD. If the reader doesn't notice, because the transition makes sense, then mission accomplished.
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are just recalling it, then why not use 3rd. Unless, you are trying to hide info from the reader. Shame, shame.

You could do it if the character is NOT just recalling it to themselves. Here's an example that works because the MC is recalling the event to someone else.

In Mrs. Todd's Shortcut by Stephen King the story starts in 3rd from the POV of the MC's friend.
Then the MC starts to tell his friend a story. The majority of the story is in 1st person because the MC is telling the story. It works because the POV doesn't really shift. It's like drawn out dialogue in which the friend never interrupts the story, and there are no breaks where the MC shifts in his chair, etc.
The end of the story is in 3rd as the friend watches the MC get in the car with Mrs. Todd.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean is that you DO effectively stay in 3rd person, but your sentences are written in first person. Again, this looks like a device to switch perspective if it doesn't fit in with your story, but if the reader doesn't notice the transition to a long stream of thought--because it seems natural--then you can do it.
Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

Only the intro, or prolouge, would have 3rd person limited.
Although there is a desire to have it omni, so that I can clearly shows what others think of the MC, but I'm going to avoid that. I figure 3rd person is as far outside as I should start and it would give me limited chance to show how others think she is a bit 'touched' before putting the reader in her view only.
It's the sort of "when she was a child" opening, while the rest is 'myself on these adventures as an adult'.

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
How long would the prologue be?
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

Probably several pages.
My first start at writing it would have been very long. I started using it as a way to describe the church and town she lived in, but I'm already cutting that out. I'm going to try to see if I can express it well enough in a two person interaction. If I can pull it off it would be probably 2 or 3 pages.
I'm not sure how short I should aim for, I do want to use this as the one opportunity for her to be described from the outside.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.