Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How does a total scrapping of one to become another sound?

Author Topic: How does a total scrapping of one to become another sound?
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a goofy thing to talk about, but I having difficulty trying to keep going forward in one of my WIP's. I have the same milleu, but a different character, that will eventually come into contact with some of the characters of my current WIP. (Make sense?)

I think that the one I have current is stalling because I think it will turn out to be a dialogue driven thing and I want one that is character driven. Is this too much of a thing to ask for?

This is one of the longest post for me in a long while, but I'd appreciate some logical feedback onto as what the drawbacks can be, but also what some of the rewards can be.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, the WIP is "Monolith's Arrival".

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I understand what you're asking. I also don't understand what dialog-driven means.

But regardless, if you're completely stalled, it probably means you've taken a wrong step somewhere. The solution may be to scrap it and become another, or it may just be to retrace your steps and see where you went wrong. I don't understand your situation well enough to really offer any specific advice, though.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth,

I'm using the term "dialogue driven" to mean that most of the story will take place in dialogue, getting info on the milleu as well and I think that's what stalling it out. Does that help any?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just don't see that as being in opposition to character-driven. Dialog is a really good way to expose and develop character, so I don't see what the difficulty is.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Monolith

Listen to yourself. It sounds as though you're pleading for an excuse to keep writing this. Only you can give that permission. We cannot. I suggest that you have the courage of your unspoken convictions and simply finish it, no matter how it feels at the moment. After this piece is complete you'll have much more information on which to base your decision.

I apologize if this comes across as hectoring. I don't mean to.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion, Monolith: this problem you have -- if what you fear will happen, really does happen, what will be missing? Something about character, I think you're saying. Something will not be fully fleshed out about character (or maybe it's milieu).

So flesh it out. Go have a brainstorming session with yourself about what's missing, and invent it. If there's something you invented that you don't like, brainstorm for a replacement idea. I think when you get the idea conflict resolved, writing it will be easier.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
If this is a character-driven story, it implies a change will take place in the main character. Find out what that change will be and you'll have the ending. Once you have the ending, it's just a matter of building a foundation and everything should snap into place.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe what you are really concerned about is the writing of the dialogue and keeping it interesting for the reader. I too think that way, esepcially after so many criticisms of my dialogue. Hey, I'm a teacher.. .what can I do?

I think you have 2 options, go with the dialogue or mix in some action. THere are several possibilities for the latter. no one lives in a void and we all react with others. Even if that interaction doesn't advance the plot it does let us know about the characters and the world they live in. Why have everything explained when some things can be discovered.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.