Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flesch Readability Stats

Author Topic: Flesch Readability Stats
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
A co-worker asked me about the Flesch stats that come up when you do a spelling/grammar check in Word. I had to look a few things up to properly explain them and stumbled across this part of an article by Rudolf Flesch, inventor of the Flesch scale.

How to Write Plain English
http://www.mang.canterbury.ac.nz/writing_guide/writing/flesch.shtml

While I like to look at the readability stats for my stories, I never really understood how they were generated or what I really needed to do to change them (not that they need to be changed).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you should change them depends on audience. If you're writing for children or young adults, then you probably do need to up your score. Otherwise, you really don't need to bother with it.

Granted, this is why some things score negative six And if you're scoring in the same range as things that you find incomprehensible (because of language, not content), you might want to consider adjusting your usages a bit.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this article I decided to check the stats on some of my own writing...

The following list is just what I could find on short notice on my hard-drive, I've written far more, printed it off into hard-copy, and deleted the digital copy... There is also a lot of stuff that hasn't gotten to the digital copy stage yet (I prefer to hand-write first... something about the flow of the arm movements helps my creativity...)

Readability Statistics:

Christmas Parody (short story):

Passive Sentences: 4%
Flesch Score: 79.7
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 4.8

Month in a Moment (poem):

Passive Sentences: 0%
Flesch Score: 78.3
Flesch-Kinkaid Grade Level: 3.4

Searth - Millenial War (Novel WIP, first in a planned trilogy):

Passive Sentences: 5%
Flesch Score: 75.3
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.7

No Man is an Island (Super short essay I wrote in 12th grade for 11th grade English, don't ask why I took 11 English in 12th grade, long story there.):

Flesch Score: 54.6
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 10.6

Why "No Man is an Island" is still on my hard-drive, I can assure you I do not know... I'm a pack-rat I guess

There seems to be somewhat of a pattern there, as I expected there might be.

Anyone else want to analyze these statistics and tell me if they see a pattern too?

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

After posting I grabbed a false-start on a different WIP Novel of mine and tested it:

Passive Sentences: 6%
Flesch Score: 76.5
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.1

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My WIP:

Passive Sentences: 0%
Flesch Score: 77
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.1

My completed novel:

Passive Sentences: 1%
Flesch Score: 76.8
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.2

I'm not sure how much this means, though. I would far rather hear from wise readers who can tell me whether or not I'm relaying the message I'm attempting to relay and whether or not the story is interesting and compelling.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Stats for my published stories:

"In Memory" (WOTF published finalist -- 3100 word Science Fiction)
Passive Sentences: 2%
Flesch Reading Ease: 73.1
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.6

"Betrayer of Trees" (WOTF winner -- 7400 word Fantasy)
Passive Sentences: 3%
Flesch Reading Ease: 76.6
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.6

"The Man Who Moved the Moon" (Phobos winner -- 6900 word Science Fiction)
Flesch Reading Ease: 71.6
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.8

"Resonance" (Analog -- 10,500 word Science Fiction)
Flesch Reading Ease: 67.5
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.7

Stats for the stories I currently have submitted somewhere:

"Taint of Treason" (800 word Fantasy)
Flesch Reading Ease: 78.0
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.2

"Protector of the Line" (7400 word Fantasy)
Flesch Reading Ease: 74.5
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.0

"Tabloid Reporter to the Stars" (7800 word Science Fiction)
Flesch Reading Ease: 65.0
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 7.8

"Salt of Judas" (5500 word Fantasy)
Flesch Reading Ease: 79.9
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 4.3

"Spectacles of Death" (2400 word Fantasy)
Flesch Reading Ease: 69.7
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.9

"By the Hands of Juan Peron" (5000 word Science Fiction)
Flesch Reading Ease: 66.4
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.7

Hmmm. It looks like "Tabloid" is probably written at too high a grade level (among its other flaws.) And people writing for WOTF might want to aim for a grade level of about 5.6.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. Now I wonder if I should be deliberately upping my Flesch score.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Man is an Island (Super short essay I wrote in 12th grade...Why "No Man is an Island" is still on my hard-drive, I can assure you I do not know...

Egad, that makes me feel old. We didn't HAVE hard drives when *I* was in 12th grade. We were grooving with 8-track tapes.

By the way, I've always heard it called the "Fog" index - when you are obscuring clear writing with verbosity.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fog index is just another formula for evaluating reading ease.

http://www.fpd.finop.umn.edu/groups/ppd/documents/information/writing_tips.cfm

Flesch was the first (from what I can tell) to develop such a formula.

I found something interesting with a few of the stories I currently have subbed out:

Something in the Air
Flesch Reading Ease: 72.8
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.3

Wings
Passive Sentences: 14%
Flesch Reading Ease: 73.9
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 7.2

Gruff Bluff
Flesch Reading Ease: 75.6
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 5.8

Greater than Gold
Flesch Reading Ease: 72.7
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 6.2

"Wings" and "Gruff Bluff" both have higher Flesch scores than "Something in the Air", but "Wings" somehow scored a higher grade level while "Gruff Bluff" scored a lower grade level. Perhaps the high percentage of passive sentences in "Wings" affected the grade level...

In the past, whenever I've scored "too high" or "too low" a grade level for my liking, I've always just adjusted my vocabulary. Now that I know a little bit more about how the formulas work, I might try adjusting sentence length and structure as well.

I also think it's interesting that the stories I've written in the last year or so are all within 5 points on the Flesch Reading Ease Scale.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that really 14% passive on "Wings", or did you mistype?
dpatridge
Member # 2208

Did I start another pattern here? LOL.

The most disturbing thing for me is the high grade level on my Nonfiction as compared to my Fiction... Am I picking up bad habits from all the legaleze I read?

My Fiction's lower grade level could probably be easily explained as probably the most influential person on that is and was OSC, and as we all know, he is quite big on the "plain English" thing.

I seem to average around 4/5% on my passive sentences... EJS is published and he seems to average around 2/3%... should I start working on reducing my passive sentences?

For the most part I seem to average around a 4th/5th grade reading level and a 70-80 on my Flesch Reading Ease on my Fiction. That seems to be OK.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

quote:
Is that really 14% passive on "Wings", or did you mistype?

Yes, it really is 14%. However I forgot to mention that Wings is a flash story with a word count of 585. I just manually checked, and the 14% is actually only 5 sentences out of about 35.

I guess that's one of the things you have to be careful of when reading the stats.

quote:
should I start working on reducing my passive sentences?

What is the range of acceptability on passive sentences? I don't know. I heard a few different things. Something in the 5% range, anything less than 10%...it just depends who you ask. While active sentences can give you a lot of bang for your literary buck, there are times when a passive sentence just works better, gives you a better flow.

For example, when I first wrote "Something in the Air", I wrote it without any passive sentences, just to see if I could. Some of the sentences I had just didn't work when I wrote them as active. On subsequent re-writes, I put a few actives back into passive and it reads better.

If you want to try working on passive sentences (recognizing them and re-writing them) I believe there is an exercise or two in the Writing Class.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, in fiction writing I believe passive voice sentences need to be near 0%....but even as I say that, I will also say this much: percentages are meaningless in this case. When it comes to passive voice you have to look at every case separately and ask yourself why it is written that way. If there isn't a good reason, then it needs to be active. It is the case by case that matters, not the percentage. The only reason I say it should be near 0% is that there are very few acceptable cases for passive voice in fiction.

Mostly, it's ok to have a passive sentence when the perpetrator of the action does not matter AND the object of the action is what the paragraph/passage is about. My classic example:

Lilith was arrested for murder.

Actively, this would be "The police arrested Lilith for murder." but maybe you don't care. Unless this is a police procedural murder mystery (in which case the police are quite important) then Lilith may be what this is about and you want to keep the focus on her.

Even so, these sentences should be rare. If you are using passive voice ten percent of the time it may even be that you picked the wrong protagonist...because they are not causing enough of the action.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

I already participated in the passive/active sentence recognition exercize. I think it is safe to say I aced it.

OK, so my percentage really isn't that bad.

The grade level on my nonfiction still disturbs me though... The only thing I want to ever have limit my audience is the concept, not the text.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
This is fun, except that you have to keep hitting ignore all day long...

State Secrets (short story)
Flesch Reading Scale: 78.4
Grade Level: 5.2

Baked Alaska (boot camp story)
Flesch Reading Scale: 72.2
Grade Level: 5.9

Road Rage (short story)
Passive Sentences: 6%
Flesch Reading Scale: 70.8
Grade Level: 6.9

Neanderthal Swan Song (novel)
Flesch Reading Scale: 75.4
Grade Level: 5.1

Rigel Kentauras Chapter 2 (hard SF)
Flesch Reading Scale: 66.9
Grade Level: 6.7

Lick Observatory Article (published non-fiction)
Passive Sentences: 31%
Flesch Reading Scale: 39.4
Grade Level: 12.0

I think the stats on the last one are a load of bunk. For sure it is not a 12th-grade piece level work! I should try to find my soft copy of my masters thesis. That should crash windows.

I'm also willing to bet that Word confuses passive voice with past perfect tense. That's probably why the non-fiction article scored so high on that stat.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited July 07, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
The story I sold at pro rates, "Respite" has the following stats:

Flesch Reading Ease: 79.5
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 5.0

Other stories:

"The Ballroom"
Flesch Reading Ease: 81.7
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 5.1

"Weikal Woman"
Flesch Reading Ease: 81.5
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 4.7

"Starbursts"
Flesch Reading Ease: 81.4
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 4.2

My novel Outleaf:
Flesch Reading Ease: 76
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Level: 5.4

Well it looks like I am pretty consistent. I should probably watch for passive sentences a bit more closely. I seem to pretty much have 3% across the board, from 1k to 40k stories. Hmm. This was interesting.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Fun! I dug up a lot of stuff that I've written over the years.

Here are scholarly works:

intro to my PhD dissertation
(published by Routledge as part of the series "Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics")
33 % passives
23.6 Flesch reading ease
12.0 Flesch-Kincaid grade level

intro section of a chapter published in a book of scholarly articles:
35% passives
11.7 Flesch reading ease

intro of my latest submitted research paper
25% passives
21.5 Flesch reading ease

Here is some fiction:

Peter’s Snowy Day (story I wrote for an ESL class I was teaching for college-educated Russian senior citizens)
3%

An unreleased flash fiction:
1%

-K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

Nice kk... So maybe my higher-than-average-in-fiction grade level and lower flesch reading ease is more normal than I thought.

Yours is quite extreme. 12th grade in your non-fiction and 5th in your fiction. 20 in your non-fiction and 80 in your fiction.

In direct comparison, my one piece of non-fiction that I tested was 11th grade and had a flesch score of 55. My fiction averages 4th/5th grade and 70-80 flesch.

So my non-fiction still has a long ways to go in its quest of unreadability.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

I went back and ran the numbers on a non-fiction report I wrote for work a few years ago:

Passive Sentences: 15%
Flesch Reading Ease: 32.2
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 12.0

It looks to me like the grade level maxes at 12.0, no matter how low the Reading Ease goes.

Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my school papers. It seems that I am becoming more abstruse as I get older.

12 Grade
Queen of Hearts (short story)
Passive Sentences 2%
Flesch Reading Ease 90.2
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 2.9

Freshmen Year College

Existentialism Essay
Passive Sentences 2%
Flesch Reading Ease 65.9
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 6.9

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Essay
Passive Sentences 1%
Flesch Reading Ease 68.7
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 7.5

School Violence Essay
Passive Sentences 8%
Flesch Reading Ease 62.1
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 6.9

Junior Year College

American History Paper
Passive Sentences 0%
Flesch Reading Ease 54.6
Flesh-Kincaid Grade Level 9.9

Feasibility Study
Passive Sentences 0%
Flesch Reading Ease 59.9
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level 8.6

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be a passive voice Nazi: 0% on everything I checked. My Flesch scores are consistantly 78-81%, and Grade Level of about 4.5 - 5.0, though the most recent chapter of a WIP spiked up to 7.2.

That raises an interesting question: should a novel be consistant reading level throughout, or is fluctuation to be expected?

[This message has been edited by TheoPhileo (edited July 09, 2005).]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the grade levels you get in Word max out at 12. The link supplied in the original post gives the following grade equivalences for the readability statistic:

90 to 100 5th grade
80 to 90 6th grade
70 to 80 7th grade
60 to 70 8th and 9th grade
50 to 60 10th to 12th grade (high school)
30 to 50 college
0 to 30 college graduate

It also gives some averages for different types of writing. Here is just some of the examples it gives:

Consumer ads in magazines 82
Seventeen 67
Reader's Digest 65
Time 52
Newsweek 50
Harvard Business Review 43
New York Times 39
New York Review of Books 35
Harvard Law Review 32
Standard auto insurance policy 10
Internal Revenue Code minus 6

After reading how it is calculated, I can see it might be tricky running articles and reports through it. If you use in-text citations (as is standard in linguistics), this will artificially lower your readability score. Removing citations boosts my scholarly article readability scores significantly.

-K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

That's a good point. Bulleted text will also increase the difficulty resulting in a lower score because it reads the entire list as a single sentence (unless you put a period at the end of every bullet).

In general, essays and non-fiction will tend to score lower in terms of readability. In journalism, the goal is to write at an eighth grade level. Compared to alot of the fiction stats we're all listing, that is two or three grade levels higher.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.