Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Trilogies, Septologies etc etc

Author Topic: Trilogies, Septologies etc etc
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all.

I like a bit of a good fantasy yarn. There's soooo many titles that grab my eye and I would like to get around to reading, but the time commitment is so much of a pain.

Everything is either a trilogy or septology (made that one up, I mean a 7 book series) or something. It seems really difficult to find stand alone titles in this subject area, or Sci-Fi too? Anybody else find this?

Cant people write a fantasy story that is anything less than 500 pages anymore?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just written one, and I'm working on another. I'll have to let you know if they sell.

But no, they are not as popular because publishers have seen the money that the loyal followers of a series cna rake in. Heck, how many people have continued to refuse to boycott Robert Jordon? I'll admit, it took me nine books but I absolutely refused to buy the tenth one and my husband stopped on ten and absolutely refuses to buy the eleventh. We're done. But many others aren't, and they hooked us for quite a while.

Why spend all that money marketing a new idea when you only have to market it for the first one and for the second the same people will come right on back?

It is frustrating. I, too, would love to read a stand-alone fantasy book, all contained and finished in 500 pages or so. I can't remember the last time I actually got to read the end of a story.

I like novels better than short stories because the short stories are over too quickly, I am just starting to care about the people and then it's over. The series take the opposite extreme...I'm caring about the characters, good plot, good writing...all right let's go but then I never ever get any closure.

For some reason, humans are entirely opposed to happy mediums.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
For some shorter, stand alone epics, you could try finding a copy of "Twenty Epics" (just released year).

http://www.allstarstories.com/epics-guidelines.html

It even contains a story by our very own MaryRobinette!

Personally I hardly ever bother with fantasy for exactly the reason you mention. Book after book after book...Each one longer than the one that came before...It's too much! If there is a particularly good series, I don't mind buying into it for a few books, but they have to maintain the calibre.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading Elantris, which as it stands is not suppose to spawn a series.

Though not perfect:
1. Sometimes too many characters introduced at once
2. Unnessacery minor characters [the writer seems more attached to the fate and twist of these without building in me a reason to care
3. Too much madeup langauge,
4. Bordering on a POV character withholding information
5. Obvious allegory in regards to the conflicts between Jewish, Christian, and Islamic faiths.
6. While religions are a big part of the plot, so far, I don't really get a sense of thier teachings, except where it touches on allegory. It's not like Dune, where there was a real sense of religion.
7. Lots of coincidences, though perhaps a guiding hand is behind them all.

Despite this, I find I like it. However now that I am nearing its end, I like the main characters, and I want another.

Of course, I really like getting into a good series...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the promises I made myself some years ago, when a lot of my ideas were coalescing into something like a coherent arc of stories, was that I would NEVER allow anything I wrote to have the blurb "Volume 1 In A Stunning New Fantasy Saga!" (or "Comparable to Tolkein at his best!" - a la Steven Donaldson, who, should I ever publish under my name, I will be cosying up alongside on the bookshelves).

I've mellowed a little on that approach since - but not much. I certainly refuse to write any novel that doesn't actually have anything resembling an ending (side note - I gave up on the Wheel Of Time after two ror three books - it had already become clear that his intention was to write for as long as it sold, not to actually finish the story; I'm even somewhat suspicious of George R R Martin's current saga, though his prose is better). It's simply cheating the reader. You invest time and effort in 600-odd pages, and what happens? Ultimately, nothing is resolved.

Part of the problem is that people think "Lord of the Rings" was a trilogy, and that that's how fantasy has to be written. LotR was never a trilogy; it was one story, written in six "books", but physically published in thre volumes because, quite simply, the binding couldn't be done any other way. It is not a trilogy, which is a series of three linked but standalone novels.

I've got arcs of three books planned, of five books planned, and more, but the idea is that there is a plot within each book that is resolved, as well as the over-arching character arc that extends through all the books. Take "The Accidental Witch" as an example; there is a sequel, and there are certainly "dangling threads" at the end of it (find me a novel that hasn't - I'm reminded of Margaret Atwood, who when asked why the main characters always died in her stories, replied "because the story's only over when everyone's dead"), but the idea is that you can stop reading it, feel a sense that a story has been told, and not feel cheated that you're really only half way through.

David Gemmell's early work (which I think is still his best) is a good example of how fantasy can be done. Legend, The King Beyond The Gate, and Waylander all link together - coherent world, shared history and in some cases characters - but they are all perfectly satisfying as novels in their own right.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

The trouble with planning 3-book and 5-book arcs is that the best laid plans of mice and men...Well, let's just say that Robert Jordon "planned" a trilogy.

Moreover, I don't understand why more fantasy stories can't just be told in one book. Why does it have to be a trilogy? Why does it have to be so long?

I don't really want examples. I don't want to hear about your world and how great it is and your characters and how believable they are and how complex everything is and...It doesn't matter to me. I accept that there is room for a few such stories. (BTW, I have less hope for George R.R. Martin than I did for Jordan at the same point in his series.)

No, my question is where are the stand-alones? Where are the cozies? The books you can curl up by the fireplace and read in one night if they're good enough that you don't want to put them down and at the end you're done and don't need book 2 but what a great, satisfying story?

There *are* good arguments for series books, both in terms of marketing and material. There is *no* good argument for the complete lack of any other type of fantasy.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bujold has written at least three novels set in her fantasy miliue, and each of them is entirely independent. She's done basically the same thing in her Vorkosigan books, though they all (well, mostly) center around the adventures of a few individuals.

If you actually read the Wheel of Time trilogy, it does tie the local conflicts up at the end of each book, with a major resolution at the end of the thrid book. It's only if you become a perpetual fan and read much beyond that point that Jordon gives up on having actual endings and so forth.

I liked Elantris quite well, though it stretches out the resolution phase a bit because of the number of conflicts that have been introduced. I never noticed that there were too many characters, though there are places where POV is assigned to a relatively minor character rather than any of the three main POV characters. I saw the madeup language as being basically essential to the core idea of the book, the Aons and their uses. It may be used more than strictly necessary, though. I wouldn't say that there was an obvious parallel to the Jewish, Christian, and Islamic faiths...unless I want to be really bigoted and suggest that the most brutal and warlike religion necessarily corresponded to one of the above. I was more minded of the early conflicts between various schools of Confucian thought, actually. I did get a solid sense of the teachings of Dereth, at least, and a thematic idea of the teachings of the other religions. But ultimately, the religions themselves are secondary players, the central conflict is racial rather than religious.

As for coincidences, I thought there weren't enough. It almost drove me crazy how unlucky all the main characters were all the time. Though in the end there does seem to be a "guiding hand".

Certainly, the ending is such that there is room for another book or two. Mysteries and conflicts remain, the story of Elantris is not the whole story of that entire world. Just because this book has a proper resolution, that doesn't mean that there can't be others.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine - no, there isn't. However, there's a feedback loop going on - authors write series because its what publishers want, publishers push them so its what the audience expects, audience clamours for more books by a particular author in a particular world.

Also, we're people. There is a temptation, after having gone to so much effrot to create characters and a whole milieu for them, to "save time" and set more stories in the same milieu than go through the whole thing all over again. I plotted out a standalone book a year back, but I've already got ideas for the surviving characters to continue in other works. It can just "happen".

I hope you get yours sold. I like to think I can do the same, should I ever finish anything.

I take your point about "the best-laid plans" - but even if Robert Jordan did plan a trilogy (which I would have to be sceptical about), he didn't really plan a "true" trilogy, of books that could stand alone. I'm adamant that I will NEVER write a work that basically just gets cut into chunks at an arbitrary, publishable point, and drags on interminably. That's the difference that I believe in, and I hope and believe that I can maintain it.

As a side note, do you think Jordan had got any of book two written before he'd completed book one? Or book eight before he'd completed book five? If you write in linear style, it may be easy to get lost on your way to your original intended finale; but I tennd to write the core, key scenes of my books first, the interactions, the moments of change, the climactic events. Then it's "merely" (hah!) a matter of starting to fill in the narrative between, and weave everything into a correctly paced structure. That way, it's a lot less likely to expand out of control. As far as I can tell, this seems to be a fairly unusual way of working.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

To be fair, I do have a trilogy on the back-burner. It's science fantasy rather than true fantasy (tech and magic together) but there it is.

Why is it a trilogy? Because I spent too long on it. When I was 11, it was two pages long. At fifteen, I wrote my first (albeit short) complete novel. I kept rewriting it and rewriting it. The characters grew with me, the mom went from being the bad guy to being a good guy with a complete backstory that I wanted to write.

Finally, after college, I took it up again but the story had grown out of control. The mom's backstory became a stand-alone novel that leads into the rest.

Could it have stood alone? Oh yes. Can it still? Probably, but as you say I've now spent 17 years on the idea (well over half my life) and one book just won't cut it for me anymore.

I also won't have it be my first sale. The big reason it's on the back burner is because I've decided to make one of my other ideas my first novel sale...to get all the screw the newbie stuff over with on the novels that I spent one year of my life on as opposed to 17.

One thing I'm quite ok with is many novels set in the same world ... each a stand-alone adventure.

Now, dang it, you're going to make me look up where I read that Robert Jordan planned a trilogy. I swear he did. The first complete novel was meant to be part 1 of 3, and it actually does read that way, IMHO. I'm pretty sure by book 2 the idea was out the window, though.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 12, 2005).]

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Surivor,

Interesting points. Since I know next to nothing about Confucian thoughts, I assumed that Dereth was similar to Isalmic (Submission to God), where Korathi seemed more like Christian thought (God is Love), and is it Kereg that sprang them both was like Judaism (Unity, God is One). In particular Korathi seemed like Catholism.

But personally I didn't get the indepth feel of thier beliefs that you did. To me, they didn't feel like real religions, like Zensunni did in Dune.

<I never noticed that there were too many characters>

I guess what I meant by this is that, when Sarene meets her uncle and his family, thier were to many unnessacary characters, all those kids, that did nothing to advance the plot. Besides her Uncle Kinn, only his stepson Lukel stands out. Otherwise, I could not come to care which kid was who.

And when Sarene meets with Raoden's inner circle, I felt overwelmed. Only later did I get a sense of who was who, when they were introduced one at a time.

The Aon's were a cool concept. But I was at first distracted with Raoden's friend's langauge, having to stop simple words as friend and understand.

But as I said, I like it too. Raoden is a model hero and leader, infusing hope against overwealming odds. And the reader is infused with the desire to see Raoden and Sarene come together, and it's not done too soon.

I believe if I ended up in Elantris I would've balled up and in five minutes been among the Shaod.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the camp where series of stand-alones are perfectly fine. If I wasn't, I'd never be able to write shorts whilst writing novels.

Am I the only one here who is STILL reading Wheel of Time? The writings not as good as it used to be, but I'm hooked on the characters and plot and want SOO bad to find out what happens to them.

One prime example of a story that grew out of control: Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott. Originally a Trilogy it is now a definite series of seven. In this case, however, the writing has never slacked, Kate has instead succeeded in building an ever more tense plot as it goes on. I'm waiting for the 6th book right now. She has all seven written, but the 6th book is currently going through whatever pre-publishing stuff things go through and the 7th is still being edited.

Crown of Stars: In the Ruins is coming in August... I can't wait.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
A series I never got into but have heard a lot about is "Left Behind" (a contemporary christian series).

My understanding is that this series is based on the seven years of the tribulation. Originally it was supposed to be seven books long -- one book for each year of the tribulation. From what I've been able to find, the series is now up to book 12 with several spin-offs including a series for young readers and a graphic novel, etc., etc.

Why the switch from 7 books to 12? From what I've heard (and this is complete hearsay) after book three or four, because of the popularity of the series, the publishers and/or the authors decided that they could string it out a lot longer and get more bucks for their bang.

That is the nature of the beast (no pun intended). Sometimes it takes more than one book to tell the story. Sometimes there's more than one story in a milieu. But sometimes it is just "easier" (more profitable?) to milk one idea until you wear out the market completely.

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
While I haven't planned a trilogy, I do have a few ideas for stand alone fantasies (all set in the same place during different time periods, however) and one fantasy that resolves itself in two books rather than three. (What would you call that anyway? Duology? Bilogy? Dilogy? Hmm...)

I never really cared if a fantasy went on for three or more books, though. It's just when it goes on for more than seven that I start to get annoyed--unless the series was bad in the first place, then I get annoyed after the first book.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Robyn_Hood: My husband read the first few books of Left Behind. He quite enjoyed the first and enjoyed the next few but could not get past one thing: Catholic bashing. According to the books, on the day of judgement no Catholics get taken up. Now, you have to understand that my husband does not get offended easily. He's quite likely to make a joke about a Catholic and laugh at yours...he says he's in a position to know the truth in them. So when he told me he was offended by this, I took it VERY seriously. He described some of what he had read and frankly, I wouldn't have read as far as he did.

dpatridge: I, too, was hooked on the characters and was dying to know what would happen to them for the longest time. What actually turned me off was my husband's account of the tenth book (which I never read). According to him, all but about 75 pages were a recap of the ninth. It was his last straw and mine. I'd love to know what happens to the naive group that set out in the first book but that story seems long over. Anymore, he has a million points of view, many bad guy points of view, many shady characters points of view, and he spends increasingly little time on the people I grew to care about so much. If he ever finishes the series, then I may go ahead and pick up the last few, but not before. I don't trust him to finish at all, for one thing, but more importantly I want to encourage him to end it. Buying his books encourages him to keep going on and on and on...

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one here who is STILL reading Wheel of Time? The writings not as good as it used to be, but I'm hooked on the characters and plot and want SOO bad to find out what happens to them.

*raises hand reluctantly* I'm still reading it, but probably for the last time until it is finished. I found the tenth book at a used bookstore and have been re-reading the series to get caught up. But it really annoys me that Jordan is taking time to write three prequels when he hasn't even finished the series. If/when he ever finishes it, I might read the final books, possibly the prequels. But I'm not going to read anymore (not even from the library) until the stupid thing is finished.

Luckily, I bought each book from the used bookstore, so I haven't sunk too much money into it. I'd probably be a lot angrier if I had bought them new.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Am I the only one here who is STILL
> reading Wheel of Time?

After Book 9 (in which something happened) I was hopeful that the series was going to pick up the pace. After reading Book 10, I've decided I'm going to wait until the series is finished before buying any more. Yes, I want to see what happens to the characters, but the aggravation of reading a huge book in which nothing is resolved can only be tolerated if the next book is available.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, on the other hand, I can read even though it's not complete, because each book has its own complete plot within the frame of the series uberplot.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I've been reading the Sword of Truth too, although I am of the opinion that each one is getting slightly worse. I do very much appreciate that 7 or 8 books in (I can't remember where we're at now) each book has a beginning, a middle, and an end that picks up where the last one left off. The only problems are that, especially as compared to wheel of time, I don't find the characters or the situation as compelling, I'm frankly sick of all the sexual perversion on the part of the evil characters, and I sometimes find the books to be a bit preachy.

But at least I know that when I pick one up it will have some resolution at the end. That counts for quite a bit.

Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that the really famous, great writers wrote stand-alones. Steinbeck, Dickens, Shakespeare, Faulkner -- I could go on, but I think you get the idea -- their "classics" were never series. These are the writers that I admire and aspire to be like; so these are the writers that I read.
I personally think that series are a mark of laziness and immature writing. But then again, I'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre, in its current state. I think that if you want a good yarn that's contained in one binding, you should read some of the good ol' classics.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, and alphabetically:
Mercedes Lackey, Robin McKinley and Neil Gaiman have all written very good stand-alone novels in recent times.
I know there are many others, including Andre Norton in the old days, who did stand alones.
Today, it seems most books must be thick. It is hard to find 500 pages only, most of the ones I pick up are older novels, but every now and again you can find some. If you're willing to look for newer authors.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
A perfect example of having more than one story in a given world is the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. The first book could stand alone, and in fact it's the only one I'll read (well okay, I read 2 and 3 because I had nothing better to read), for fear of being sucked into a vortex of time consuming sameness.
The next book goes on with the MCs nephew... at least I think so... and the third goes on with the son of the second book.
Good. Standalone. The Sword of Shannara.
(although quite cliched)

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ely
Member # 2558

- posted      Profile for ely   Email ely         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read the wheel of time series up to book six. I have heard that the next few books are dreadful, so I'm not looking forward to that. I really like Jordan's writing style. I think he is a master of narration, even if his plotting is a bit off.

I have started to listen to the series from the beginning on audio book. The new unabridged versions read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are excellent. It feels like a whole new world the way they add personality to the characters.

I'm hoping to catch up to book six within the next few months and continue the story in audio. The books have just taken way to long for me to read.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to write my WIP as one novel with three "books", but every time I tell someone about it, they say "This looks like it should be three separate books to me." It's really frustrating; I never intended to write a trilogy.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited July 13, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A perfect example of having more than one story in a given world is the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. The first book could stand alone, and in fact it's the only one I'll read

Funny, I couldn't get past page 25 before I exchanged it at the used book store.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just harder to find the good stand-alones when a 12-volume series stands out on the shelf so well. Two I would highly reccomend included "The Redemtion of Althalas" by David Eddings, and "The Darklord of Derkholm" by Catherine Wynn Jones. And, if you like books for YA at all, "The Arkadians" by Lloyd Alexander remains one of my favorites. Then again, I like his five-volumn Prydain Chronicles a lot too...I guess I only complain about series when they stop being good. Then it's dissapointing: something you loved to read becomes something unpalpatable. But done correctly...I suppose all I need to say is that I have my Harry Potter book pre-ordered, and I'm ever so glad it didn't stop with book one.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say a few things regarding this whole issue. First, I'm torn. On one hand, I think that the over-commercialization of the genre is killing stand-alones off. I'm the first to admit that it's mostly young adults who read the never-ending series, and I'm also willing to admit that it's slightly annoying to see Robert Jordan prosper as a writer by cheating his readers--perhaps one fifth of the WoT books have a good, satisfying ending. The rest have so many threads hanging off them it becomes (nearly) impossible to read.

As a writer, though, I understand the reasons behind the series that transcend mere laziness--you've contributed so much to a world and characters, it's hard to let go. And sometimes, you don't have to. Other times, though, you should just say bye.

Finally, if you like a good stand-alone, read Robin Mckinley. She reimagines several fairytales with new and lively plots, spins, and twists. I heartily recommend her "Deerskin."

----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting article I read a while back in "The Swan."

This article is written by hers truly, Kate Elliott, probably as a personal angst against her own series.

Yeah, it definitely fits into the subject matter we are discussing here.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a time when pro- and famous writers had an adversion to the word "trilogy". I can't remember the exact quote, nor who said it, but the gist was that it was taboo. It was better to bash out a forth book and end up with a series. Of course, most of the complaints were laced with humor.
Anyone else remember this?

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one here who is STILL reading Wheel of Time?

Sadly, I am as well. I've had book 10 sitting on my shelf for over a year now, and haven't brought myself to pick it up, as I know it answers none of the questions book 9 brings up. You can't leave you readers hanging like that for 1000 pages and four years! After that long, even the most devout fans won't care any more.

I've got a long fantasy series in mind, the story idea that actually got me writing in the first place. I've been chewing on it for over two years now, but like Christine said, this big of a brain-baby isn't going to be my first published. I care about it too much. I don't even want to write it all until I've matured more as a writer.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that just so disheartening, though? I don't think I'll care what I publish first--as long as it's good.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I don't remember where I heard it, but I've heard you chould never publish the first novel you write.

When I first heard that I thought it was a load of horse manure. Now that I've had my first novel collecting dust for the last ten years, I can almost understand it, or at least what it means.

My novel is the longest piece I have ever written and I have so much of myself invested in it, I want it to succeed so badly, while at the same time it's my baby and I don't want it to get rejected.

Since being at Hatrack, I've realized that it would take a major re-write to even get it close to par for publication, so I probably won't move forward on it. It will continue to be my baby and will never face the cold shoulder of rejection. But I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath-water, I have a perfectly good milieu and I've already used it for a couple of short stories.

The next novel I write (eventually... ) won't take as long to create and won't contain as much of me.

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I started working on another novel for that reason. My first novel I doubt would sell until I've done some major rewrites for it (which I've already planned out). I feel very confident with my second novel so far even though I haven't written very much of it. It's not perfect either, but I think of the two, it's the best and will have a better chance of getting sold to a publisher.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

It might be fun to start a new thread about first novels sitting in our desks...I have one, too. Spent three years working on it, revising it. Had a few friends read it and they liked it, but it came back with rejection letters. Looking back now, I can see how medicore and plain the thing is. But still, I know writing it was anything but a waste of time. Working on that novel taught me how to write, how to revise, and how to send manuscripts out to publishers. It will never be published, but writing it was one of the most important things I've done as a writer. Paying my dues, I guess.
Survivor
Member # 213

I've always (well since finishing the third book, anyway) been of the opinion that the first three books of the Wheel of Time series were the origninal trilogy.

Rand Al'thor's central character dilemma throughout those first three books was the question of whether or not he was really the Dragon Reborn. Also, at the end of that book the original party is reassembled, each with their distinctive abilities/powers contributed to the climax that has been highlighted for the entire series to that point, the conquest of the Stone of Tear and the revelation of the People of the Dragon.

There are questions explicitly asked at the end of that book, of course. But the main question has been answered, Rand is fated to be the Dragon Reborn, he is the true Dragon. With that question answered and the People of the Dragon revealed, there really isn't any thing left.

Jordon isn't going to finish the series at some point in the future for the simple reason that it is already finished. Which is why he regards writing prequels and so forth as being entirely legit activities, if you're still reading those books, it's because you like the miliue, not because you are still trying to find out what happens in the end (we already know what happens in the end, now that we know Rand is the Dragon Reborn).

That said, I have nothing against the Wheel of Time books, I like the miliue and Jordan is a pretty darn good writer. But they are intended for hardcore fans, with all the attendent markers such as wildly obscure references to events in other books and a bazillion characters engaged in countless minor but oh-so-vital schemes.

Almost all successful fantasy series take on these qualities in a short time. It's a simple matter of having created a market for a product on which you have a complete monopoly.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an interesting take, Survivor, but not one that I agree with. As far as I'm concerned, the Wheel of Time series is primarily an event story. Something is horribly wrong with the universe (the Dark One is breaking free) and our hero(s) must try to stop this. The story ends when they either succeed or fail. That's why it angered me when Jordan stopped in the middle of the story to go write prequels.

I can see how some might view the series as a milieu story, and so would not mind the side-tracked jaunts through space and time. I'm not one of them, though. The milieu was interesting at first, but all too soon Jordan started transplanting cultures from our world into his, with no explanation why a given practice would arise in that culture. For example the description of Cairhienin food is basically a stir-fry. But the stir-fry was developed as a way of cooking food with a minimum of fuel. There is no indication that the Cairhienin would have had reason to develop that method of cooking. It just feels like Jordan tossed a bunch of interesting cultural details into a hat, then pulled them out and put them together randomly.

For a story to work as a milieu story (for me anyhow), the milieu must be carefully thought out and reasoned through. Jordan has a lot of detail, but not all of it works together, IMO.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> It's interesting that the really famous,
> great writers wrote stand-alones.
> Steinbeck, Dickens, Shakespeare, Faulkner
> -- I could go on, but I think you get the
> idea -- their "classics" were never series.

I was going to make a joke here, by pointing out that Shakespeare wrote several plays in the Henry series, but it's actually true.

Richard II; Henry IV, part 1; Henry IV, part 2; and Henry V are a tetrology.

Henry VI, part 1; Henry VI, part 2; Henry VI, part 3; and Richard III are another tetrology, and there's evidence that part 1 was actually a prequel written after parts 2 and 3.

And The Merry Wives of Windsor was a "spin-off" of Henrys IV-V, using the Falstaff character.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

Just thought it's interesting to point out...Shakespeare wasn't anywhere near the first to do series, either. The Greeks did it, for goodness' sake. Sophocles wrote "Oedipus Rex," "Oedipus at Colonus" and "Antigone." Trilogy from antiquity. Series aren't wholly just something new and commerical; people like them. It's more of a good thing...as long as it stays good.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I noticed that, too (regarding the Richard series').

I actually think that even Shakespeare knew series could run their course, regardless of how popular they can be. Although the main figures through his history plays are the Henrys, I think it is interesting that they each feature a Richard as well.

He wrote the series with "Richard III" (1590?-1593) first, then the series with "Richard II"(Richard II: 1595, Henry IV 1&2: 1597, Henry V: 1598). Then there is the lonely history play King John (1596). Richard (the Lion-heart) was John's older brother. I don't know and I've never read anything about it, but I have a sneaky suspicion that if there had been a demand for it, there would have been a "Richard I" tetrology or at least series.

As it is, he never came back to it. Shakespeare wrote the "Richard II", then "King John", and then came back to the "Richard II" series and never did anything else with Richard I.

Can you imagine if Shakespeare had written about Richard I, Prince John and possibly Robin Hood? Maybe I'm the only one...

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited July 15, 2005).]

Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
My bad. I should have gotten my facts straight - what I meant to say was that when I think of classic authors I don't think "series". In my experience, what most of the greats are regonized for are their stand-alone works. By no means did I think, or attempt to convey, that a series is a new device.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It is an interesting corollary to the idea that genre stories are more likely to spawn a series, though. Non-genre stories tend to be less likely to make a successful starting point/framework for a series, because the point is that non-genre stories are about the extraordinary quality of everyday events.

Of course, "everyday" is a constantly moving target. It is very easy for us to forget that, say, Hemingway's stories were mostly about what was "everyday" to him.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the "write about THE life-changing event in the character's life" approach to non-genre writing. After all, how many life-changing events is one person likely to have in one life? So a series about one character is rather counter-convention for non-genre fiction.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.